• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Rocket's Island Challenge? Get a Z-Ring (1016)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Hopefully this might also push the TRio to get more Pokemon and Z Crystals too, since they'll need something new to show to Giovanni and Matori every time they check up on them. I like this setup where they are forced to get some sort of change up, compared to them failing to deliver anything and Giovanni just not caring. It makes the TRio pitiful and desperate again, but more crafty and dynamic due to always managing to weasel just enough quota to stay in their boss' good books.
I can see the TRio getting maybe one more Pokémon, not including Bewear (assuming they eventually catch it); but to be honest, I don't think they will get any more Z-Crystals. The only Z-Crystal I could potentially see them getting is Poisonium Z, but I still think Plumeria is going to appear in the anime, and she will be the one to show off Acid Downpour.

To tell the truth, I'm going to be...incredibly disappointed if the TRio get more Z-Crystals and Lillie, Mallow, and Sophocles don't get any. The TRio already have two Z-Crystals, including a Pokémon-exclusive Z-Crystal which I still don't think was rightfully earned. I don't think they need any more boosts for awhile—especially not when some of the classmates are in desperate need of boosts.

DatsRight

The reason I could see TR getting boosts and numbers prioritised is because of how excessively outnumbered they are this series. They looked suicidal taking on three twerps with just two Pokemon in XY, especially when their teams bulked up, against SIX twerps it looks ridiculous.

Even just getting one more Pokemon each (plus using Meowth and Wobbuffet more often) would at least give them one per opponent (or even just one per Ash's team).

Of course situations where half the twerps just stand in the background helpless or forget for a while they can use more than one Pokemon are liable to happen like in XY so it is possible they'll get nothing else (though I hope not, I'd like more quest episodes like this one).

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
It wasn’t exactly said to be a Totem Pokémon I don’t believe (I’ll have to rewatch the Akala arc) but it definitely served the same purpose in the anime as it did the games. And agreed. Kiawe is way overdramatic and it’s very possible he was just offering trials as a way for ASH to be able to handle them. I definitely didn’t get the impression that everyone needed to do a trial to master Z moves, just that they aren’t meant to be taken lightly
Wishiwashi had the totem aura, and since school form wishiwashi and totem wishiwashi are the same size in the games, it probably was a totem (didn't the title/summary say it was a totem too?)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was so pleased to see the Rocket-dan trio shine here while Satoshi got only a few seconds of screen-time; the episode turned out to be amazing as a result. Gangar's shenanigan's were amusing, and I enjoyed watching Sakaki interacting with Kuchinashi. Acerola was pleasant, too.

Daizy

I call you honey
I had no idea that Nanu knew Giovanni and I didn't like how the episode made a huge commotion out of Jessie, James and Meowth getting their own Z-Ring, which they'll probably never use well.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I guess Nanu was once on the wrong side of the law. Either that or Giovanni was once on the right side. Regardless, that was a nice infodump.

That was a nice cameo TR's DP selves made being decoys to distract Bewear.

Always good to see my top Poison boy having a starring role, even if it's an antagonistic one. He's always adorably mischievous. Though it was a surprise to see him be capable of possession.

Nanu and Acerola are perfectly cast. They sound just like how I thought they would when I first played the game.

I don't know what piece of JP music that was that got kept, but it sounded like trash. As usual, the dub music, though at its usual good standard with nothing exceptional, shines through.

It's good to be back to having good episodes.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'm not sure who cast Acerola in Dutch, but she seems to sound a bit too old for the character, although I'm not sure how she actually should sound. Acerola is such a strange character, I don't get her at all. Like, her design is very child-like, she looks like a child, but on the other hand she acts like a strange adult baby-sitting Nanu and reading stories to little kids. I've got no idea what to make of her.

I thought this episode was a really good introduction to Ula'Ula Island. I haven't watched the Japanese Ula'Ula episodes, so I'm judging this based solely on the dub. The island looked nice, and getting our first information on Nanu and Acerola was really nice. Nanu has personal history with Giovanni, and Acerola has interesting relationships with those on Ula'Ula. We also see her befriend the Gengar here. I wonder if it's going to be recurring since they made such a big deal out of it in this episode. Also, her Mimikyu giving Jessie the Mimikyium-Z was really nice. Overall, this episode was extremely enjoyable for me, and the ending with Ash approaching Ula'Ula Island was nice setup for the next episode. I'm excited to see him take on Nanu!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
A week late, but finally got around to watching this episode, and it was CRAZY! I can't believe they're actually allowing Team Rocket to use Z-Moves. Especially after all this time, I figured the Dark Z-Crystal was never going to come in to play. Even when Nanu gave them the Z-Ring, I figured it might break, or Nanu would take it back, or maybe even Team Rocket would just utterly fail at the Z-Move, but no, they can use it whenever they want now. This should be very interesting.

Anyways, this was a pretty good episode by Sun and Moon standards. It actually had plot, purpose, an antagonist, and a climax. It makes me happy to know that even in the low standards of Sun and Moon, Team Rocket episodes are still the best.

This episode also has some really strange implications for the Pokémon anime cannon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they've never shown Ghost-Types to be able to possess people before, and they've never outright said that there are actual ghosts in the world of the anime. Yeah, that second one has been heavily implied, but I'm pretty sure we couldn't say it had been confirmed until now.

EDIT: Upon further thought, I am very intrigued by the backstory their giving to Nanu with this episode. It always kind of seemed like Nanu used to be a crooked cop. So, if he goes "way back" with Giovanni, that certainly must mean that he was indeed a crooked cop, and was being paid off by Giovanni. The only other plausible way the two could realistically know each other is if Nanu attempted to arrest Giovanni, but that clearly isn't the case. Very interesting.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Kahuna Nanu is friends with Giovanni?

Lol fake robots to trick Bewear

Is it actually tricked by them?

wow way too many Meowth

I feel sad for Team Rocket's Meowth!

Wow why is Drampa involved?
Who is this guy with the gold orb?

Gengar wants to DATE her?!
This is so gross
this is Elise and Sonic

Wow Gengar is trying to stick her inside him....

It goes in their mouths..

The way James catches the Z ring from Nanu is so cool

Lol at Acerola saying it's looking for a friend. It's looking for a GIRLfriend, sis

After the horror show 1 hour special last week

It's funny, because this week's episode was the actual horror genre episode.

It almost makes me wish they'd kept Domino as Giovanni's right hand girl, she was much more of a vindictive little harpy than Matori, imagine her having banter or gloating at Jessie to earn her ire, or getting frustrated whenever the gang managed to keep in Giovanni's good books.

And speaking of good books, Domino was the one with the better good looks.

This is the first time that we have a non-Normal-type Z move being used without the Pokémon being that type.

Great stat

Wonder how Nanu ended up getting that version of Z-Ring, when Ash got his after that special ritual by the four Tapu's.

because the anime is inconsistent

This and the First Episode of Diamond and Pearl are pretty close.

not even that close. That was a couple of minutes, even involving an entire mini-Bplot where Pikachu was stolen and flew away with Team Rocket, and Ash had to fight them. This was 5 seconds and was skippable.

Either that or Giovanni was once on the right side.

No chance he was on the right side.

I'm not sure who cast Acerola in Dutch, but she seems to sound a bit too old for the character, although I'm not sure how she actually should sound. Acerola is such a strange character, I don't get her at all. Like, her design is very child-like, she looks like a child, but on the other hand she acts like a strange adult baby-sitting Nanu and reading stories to little kids. I've got no idea what to make of her.

I believe she's a teenager who just looks a bit young for her age.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
And Nanu smiled within 10 seconds of his debut. What is it with these writers refusing to keep overly stoic characters stoic! Business man Cyrus was a joke compared to how his game version behaved.

I have conflicting feelings about Acerola's VA. You'd think she'd sound sweet like Lana, but she actually sounds older than freaking Lillie, whose voice I can't stand because of how horribly forced it tries to sound sweet. As for Nanu's VA, eh, I think it's decent enough.

Eww. Reverse vore.

Acerola is such a poor judge of character giving criminals a valuable Z-Crystal. I can sort of understand Nanu not caring about watching the world burn, but what's her reason? That Gengar had to randomly be a no sell to her Mimikyu so TR could save the day (which is subjective, because that Gengar was never a bad guy but an awful prankster).

Oh, NOW Ash is doing trials.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Acerola is such a poor judge of character giving criminals a valuable Z-Crystal. I can sort of understand Nanu not caring about watching the world burn, but what's her reason? That Gengar had to randomly be a no sell to her Mimikyu so TR could save the day (which is subjective, because that Gengar was never a bad guy but an awful prankster).
not to mention how weird it was that it showed up as soon as she had just read the story about it to those kids.. not to mention.. why did those kids never show up again in this whole arc? What a random and rushed arc tbh

Vipsoccermaster

Good Team Rocket episode. They definitely needed it. TR robots to trick Bewear...but Bewear will catch on. Nanu and Acerola are great to see here, too. And Gengar being a huge prankster. Really, if you're lonely, find some company. You want to play, but do it in a polite way. And Gengar, you almost killed Acerola. No way to treat a girl!

Nanu being friends with Giovanni, this will be interesting later on, now won't it?

Good that Ash and Pikachu had no business in the episode whatsoever. Ash and Pikachu just had to appear at least in one scene, which is fine. They're required to appear because I'm sure it's required by the writers and more importantly, The Pokémon Company.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Good that Ash and Pikachu had no business in the episode whatsoever. Ash and Pikachu just had to appear at least in one scene, which is fine. They're required to appear because I'm sure it's required by the writers and more importantly, The Pokémon Company.
Arceus forbid people forget what series they're watching, especially if the main characters are the secondary protagonists

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Arceus forbid people forget what series they're watching, especially if the main characters are the secondary protagonists
Actually, if they hadn't appeared, it would be counted as a side story like Chronicles etc., not a main series episode.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
What a strange Gengar and what a strange girl who likes the Gengar. Then again she seemed nice from the start so it fits that she would extend a hand of friendship. Come to think of it this episode is sort of important because this is the first time in a long while that Team Rocket is gaining any sort of power boost. The case could be made that the show has been busy with other priorities but Team Rocket has been really under powered for this whole region. (compared with previous seasons)

DatsRight

What a strange Gengar and what a strange girl who likes the Gengar. Then again she seemed nice from the start so it fits that she would extend a hand of friendship. Come to think of it this episode is sort of important because this is the first time in a long while that Team Rocket is gaining any sort of power boost. The case could be made that the show has been busy with other priorities but Team Rocket has been really under powered for this whole region. (compared with previous seasons)

Unfortunately it still hasn't really came into play this series, they had one battle with Pikachu where they dominated but the Z Move was sabotaged through the usual plot armour. After that they've barely used it and gone back to suffering one sided beatings against even the weakest twerps.

I don't really know why they bothered to let them level grind in this of all series, when they can't be bothered to write one effective battle with them (if any villain at all).

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Earlier this generation, they got a Z crystal, more than they've gotten in all previous regions combined.