• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Rocket's rockets.

Tri hawk

Say no to Poké-drugs
Good day.

As many of us may or may not be aware of, Team Rocket was well known for using a variety of ballistic weapons in the first two seasons (Hence the team name). This included rocket launchers, hand bombs, and even sub-machine guns, to name a few. And those weren't net shooters, they were actual explosives.

Since the end of season two, Team Rocket has used these weapons less and less frequently, and since the Johto episodes were no longer existent in their arsenal.

Why do you think this is, and what is your opinion on the matter of explosive weaponry in Pokemon?

Last edited:

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
What happened? 4Kids got their hooks in 'em, that's what happened. Renaming bombs as "blaster balls" wasn't enough, no - they had to remove as much violence as possible from a cartoon show about monsters who fight each other.

Oh sure, I still like the Rocket-dan, and I know they'd be bumbling failures no matter what they had in their magazine, but I always thought it was a little funnier when they used genuine explosives and ballistics. Still, the way it's developed, it sort of makes them look like they've tried all the heavy artillery and have now resorted to goofier methods, so it still works as far as I'm concerned.

That's me, I always try to find the best in a bad (read: 4Kids-influenced) situation.

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
But now that PUSA is in charge we may still see an accurate recreation of Normandy Beach 1944 Pokemon style if that is what you really want....

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I'd really rather not see pokemon killed.

Kinda kills the children aspect of Pokemon.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The show was dumbed down considerably once we got to Johto.

You're right, Kanto did have a lot more weapons and such that disappeared as soon as we made the transition to Orange Islands and Johto.

Its a damn shame.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Yeah, weapons like those, nowadays, should stay out of the series. It's for the better I guess.
The machines Team Rocket uses currently are all fine. And some have electricity effects. :)

aaron-now

Well I don't blame them. I blame all the fat mummies whose little didums had to ask about the explosions and then went nagging right over to the corporation about them. God I hate nagging wh*res.

PDL

disenchanted
Perhaps they stopped using these weapons in favour of using their own Pokémon more. It kills too birds with one stone in a way: Team Rocket is less "violent" and their Pokémon get more screentime.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
But now that PUSA is in charge we may still see an accurate recreation of Normandy Beach 1944 Pokemon style if that is what you really want....

Of course that's not what I really want. I just thought it was funnier when they'd actually try to blow things up. Maybe 'cause I was raised on the classic Warner Bros. cartoons, so I just have that "bumbling fools + high explosives = comedy" mentality.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Perhaps they stopped using these weapons in favour of using their own Pokémon more. It kills too birds with one stone in a way: Team Rocket is less "violent" and their Pokémon get more screentime.

I guess you could say that, but on the downside Arbok and Matadogasu were really getting stale from overexposure by the time Jouto was over. Being around so long it was almost inevitable, but that helped speed up the process.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I guess you could say that, but on the downside Arbok and Matadogasu were really getting stale from overexposure by the time Jouto was over. Being around so long it was almost inevitable, but that helped speed up the process.

What about Seviper, then?

Can you believe Jessie has owned Seviper for more eps than she had Arbok? Its actually quite crazy when you think about it.

ScionoftheFlames

"bumbling fools + high explosives = comedy".

Now known as cartoon violence. Stuff that could be repeated in real life by impressionable little kids who are dumb enough and have access to the right resources. Let them wait till their old enough to play shooter violent games on PS3 before getting them introduced to such. Then it's the parents controlling what games they play. lol

PDL

disenchanted
School-aged kids don't normally have access to bazookas and cartoon bombs though, let alone know how to use them.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Now known as cartoon violence. Stuff that could be repeated in real life by impressionable little kids who are dumb enough and have access to the right resources. Let them wait till their old enough to play shooter violent games on PS3 before getting them introduced to such. Then it's the parents controlling what games they play. lol

As far as I'm concerned, if a kid sees a cartoon character take a gun blast and walk away unharmed and then goes and somehow finds a gun and blows his own head off, it's the parent's fault for not teaching them the difference between real life and cartoons. Any parent who allows that sort of ignorance to happen shouldn't really be a parent in the first place.

But this conversation's taking on a whole new dimension now...

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Its is during those times TR were too be the main "Baddies" but then the game baddies came and well...yea...

firelovindocker

well 4kids went crazy ever since the dratini episode was dubbed so they scrapped it and implyed a complaint to TV tokyo and in japan they were already in johto so they couldn't have any rocket weapons anymore ( except for nets and giant pink tripod glaws that appear to be made of rubber )

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Given that the Pokebeach interview established that the dubbers (any of them) have/had very little influence in the series, why are people blaming 4Kids for this? If they were behind it, the interview would have said something. I think it was more of "going for worldwide mores" than to the will of any specific company.

However, the TR base still has missles, and in movie 9 the Rockets use...well...rockets to capture Rayquaza.