• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Skull, Aether Foundation and Plot Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow thanks for all this! Cool info. Seems like everyone has plant/flower names in Alola.

To be fair most characters have always been named after plants in Japanese, with the English localization only doing it for some very specific characters(like the professors) until recently.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
If there is a Hawaiian theme naming going on, we must narrow down what's left to use for the main characters.

Those names for the scientists just make me fear they are really evil... Maybe they're villains in Moon while Team Skull is the real evil villain in Sun? It's possible that one side has them keep their good publicity while the other doesn't.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Fun Fact: Wicke is the German word for "vetch", a fern-like plant that is toxic if eaten in large quantities, leading to it being used as a "last resort crop". Who knows, that might hint at something...

Haha German is literally one of the two languages I was raised in and I had no idea about that. Maybe Wicke is an outwardly sweet lady who is secretly devious. Didn't somebody else compare her to Umbridge already?

.Aerodactyl.

Haha German is literally one of the two languages I was raised in and I had no idea about that. Maybe Wicke is an outwardly sweet lady who is secretly devious. Didn't somebody else compare her to Umbridge already?

I really hope she is sweet and not like Umbridge. If Aether foundation does end up being evil despite good intentions, I'd like one completely innocent party at the top and she looks like she'd fit the bill.

marrycherrylips

my preliminary theory here is that while their aim is to protect pokemon they have a specific guideline for what pokemon they will protect or maybe something is done to those pokemon that live on their island. very much a stepford kind of situation. where what everyone sees and knows is just whats seen on the surface . no one is allowed to leave, anyone that tries gets locked away. everything just seems perfect.

i also think the ultra beasts are going to be linked to this organization. perhaps they are the results of experiments . perhaps they are the result of human experimentation. the part of the first ultra beast's bio is what leads me to believe these ultra beasts perhaops used to be people. so perhaps this organization is trying to figure out how to combine pokemon and human.

while they arent in practice, in that they arent trying to take over the world it could be that a lot of their ideas arent agreed with by the outside world.

BlitzGirl41

To be fair most characters have always been named after plants in Japanese, with the English localization only doing it for some very specific characters(like the professors) until recently.

It certainly looks like most if not all the Hawaiian-named characters in S/M are Hawaiian words for different plants (Hala, Hua, Kukui). So that's cool.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Wow thanks for all this! Cool info. Seems like everyone has plant/flower names in Alola.

You're welcome! I felt like doing a bit of research just for the sake of my own curiosity, but I figured I'd post what I found here for all those interested.

This is certainly true of almost every Gym Leader (with exceptions being mostly limited to Blue and Cheren, likey because they weren't initially Gym Leaders). However, plants as the basis for the names of villainous team leaders, Admins, etc. is something that (with the exception of Giovanni, due to his dual status as a Gym Leader) pretty much just started in X & Y, though the Team Flare scientists had names that also doubled as the classification of solar flares (Alliana for Class A, Bryony for Class B, etc.).

It's also interesting to see what those plants could mean about them, especially for Gladion (his thirst for battle makes so much sense in relation to his name).

Well that's understandable. I was raised speaking English, and until I did my research I had no clue what a vetch was :p

If there is a Hawaiian theme naming going on, we must narrow down what's left to use for the main characters.

Those names for the scientists just make me fear they are really evil... Maybe they're villains in Moon while Team Skull is the real evil villain in Sun? It's possible that one side has them keep their good publicity while the other doesn't.
I wouldn't be so sure about that since the player moved to Alola. Only the local characters seem to be named after plants in Hawaiian, while other characters like Lillie and Aether members seem to have a German basis.
Playable characters can also be added to the list of characters that haven't traditionally been named after plants in Japanese too.

BlitzGirl41

I wouldn't be so sure about that since the player moved to Alola. Only the local characters seem to be named after plants in Hawaiian, while other characters like Lillie and Aether members seem to have a German basis.
Playable characters can also be added to the list of characters that haven't traditionally been named after plants in Japanese too.

Even if my playable character is a newcomer to Alola, I am still going to give her a Hawaiian name. ;) Always liked Hawaiian, anyway!

dextre

Psychic
Don't know if this means a lot, but in Gladion's vs screen just before the battle, the blue shadow (or whatever it is) doesn't appear as in Plumeria's and Guzma's. It is like Hau's and Hala's instead.
Also, i really want him to be our rival. Because I really like his theme

Orphalesion

Well that's understandable. I was raised speaking English, and until I did my research I had no clue what a vetch was :p

Ha, good point, English was the other language I was raised in and it's the first time I hear of the word "vetch" as well X-D. Sounds like a vegetable to be honest rather than a fern.

Pokemon teaching people about botany since 1996.

Caststorm

But something that is bugging me is what is up with Gladion grabbing his arm and twitching? what do you guys think is the reason for him grabbing his arm wrist?

Either just because it looks flashy or he has some sort of power shared with Type: Null.

iggy the skorupi

My thoughts on the two teams:
Like others think, Aether is probably secretly the true evil organization for these games. Team Skull really just look and act like punks. If you think of real life Hawaii, there are locals that aren't kind to people from outside of Hawaii. Team Skull could really be a reflection of them. Aether is taking in the "stolen" Pokemon and protecting them only to save face with the public, while really they are experimenting on them, in an attempt to create their own Pokemon, the Ultra Beasts. Type: Null was a prototype and was too Pokemon like for Aether's goals, and thus wanted to get rid of it, causing Galdrion to take it, run away and join Skull to stop Aether. Guzma just wants to be a trial captain and Plumeria looks to care for the Skull grunts, neither of which look to be what an actual evil/nefarious groups.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Ever heard of 8th Grader Syndrome?

Since this was partly in response to the hand shaking thing, I thought you were referencing something very different...

Anyway, I'm glad it's just the superpower thing.

WolfCypher

I noticed a comparison (contrast) between Lillie and Gladion where one is staunchly against Pokémon fighting and the other is driven by them.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
My thoughts on the two teams:
Like others think, Aether is probably secretly the true evil organization for these games. Team Skull really just look and act like punks. If you think of real life Hawaii, there are locals that aren't kind to people from outside of Hawaii. Team Skull could really be a reflection of them. Aether is taking in the "stolen" Pokemon and protecting them only to save face with the public, while really they are experimenting on them, in an attempt to create their own Pokemon, the Ultra Beasts. Type: Null was a prototype and was too Pokemon like for Aether's goals, and thus wanted to get rid of it, causing Galdrion to take it, run away and join Skull to stop Aether. Guzma just wants to be a trial captain and Plumeria looks to care for the Skull grunts, neither of which look to be what an actual evil/nefarious groups.

Very good points! I don't really trust Aether at all. There's something almost too good to be true about them.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I noticed a comparison (contrast) between Lillie and Gladion where one is staunchly against Pokémon fighting and the other is driven by them.

Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, there is a legend involving the Gladiolus, or "sword Lily", which is where Gladion's name comes from:

"Two brothers fell madly in love with the same young woman. Neither one would back down, with each believing they deserved her more. Their brotherly love gave way to intense hatred until it reached a point where they vowed to fight each other to the death. The battle raged, with furious clashes of steel echoing through the air, until both brothers fell due to their fatal wounds. In their final moments, they plunged their swords into the ground. According to the legend, from that very spot grew the first two gladiolus plants, with leaves like little swords and blood red flowers marked in their hearts with white splashes from the tears of the young woman who unwittingly and unwantedly caused their demises."

Now, in SuMo, we have Lillie, who wears white and is opposed to the violence, representing the girl from that myth, who regretted the battle of the brothers and left white splotches with her tears. Meanwhile Gladion is is more akin to the brothers, wearing red under his ripped black clothes, simulating the appearance of gashes, just like the mortal wounds the brother sustained (and we see him grip his shaking arm as though he's in pain), and who has an intense thirst for battle as well.

A Greek myth inspiring characters in SuMo actually fits quite well, seeing as everyone likes to point out the alchemy references, and European alchemy got its start with Aristotle in ancient Greece. It also serves as a nice follow up to AZ, who was seemingly inspired by the legend of The Wandering Jew.

Chomper4

If evil, then most likely yes. If not, then maybe there'll just be a simple friendly battle with Lusamine, Faba, or Wicke.

I am right now saying it's later. In fact, I think Lusamine is the Alola Region Champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.