• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Skull, Aether Foundation and Plot Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elementman-Novapoke

Okay, I must admit, Team Skull have got me very excited for SuMo. Their designs, music, motif - we're scaling it away from the armageddon of the more recent villains to more visceral, real world-y villainy. You could say that there are certain aspects to their design or characterisation that are problematic - they do seem to be utilising certain stereotypes / clichés / tropes - but that's an argument I'm willing to overlook for now.

(Your Boy) Guzma in particular has piqued my attention. It seems that he was rejected as a Trial Captain applicant - alongside Kukui... I may get back to this later. So it'd make sense for Team Skull to wreak havoc and try to mess up the trials (potentially problematic because 'teenage delinquents disrespecting tradition'). If Guzma can't be a trial captain, why should anyone else, right?

But this made me think. Haven't one of the rumours - possibly even the Chinese one that seems to be gaining momentum? - mention that there's no traditional gyms, but that we create the league ourselves? Doesn't this almost mean that we're sort of siding with Team Skull? If we were to create a league, we'd be going against Alola's tradition, wouldn't we? Perhaps Team Skull are trying to undermine / destroy tradition, but we are accepting tradition, but then bringing it to 'modern day'? There could even be a prophecy or something that someone great - a 'champion' (idk) - would bring about the end of the Trial Challenge. (Your Boy) Guzma, who seems to be delightfully arrogant, would see that as himself, and so he tries to dismantle it antagonistically, whereas the main character completes all the trials (perhaps the first to do so? Or are the Trial Captains said to have completed this themselves...?), becomes number 1, and then the trials become redundant? Perhaps as someone new to the region, it'd make sense for the playable character to be the one to introduce a more traditional league? Idk - I'm tired and rambling.

Kukui: I'm of the belief that we'll be getting a Trial Captain - or something similar - for each Pokémon type. I made a lengthy post somewhere else on this thread before. I could now see it as there being 16 Trial Captains (although not necessarily 4 per island), plus (Your Boy) Guzma and Kukui. (Your Boy) Guzma could be Poison or Bug, I guess. Kukui...? Goodness knows. It would give him a little more purpose, though. After all, he's our Prof, but he doesn't give us our Starter? He researches moves... Z moves... linked to Trials...?

I'm thinking out loud.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
-As many others before and after me, Guzma has a Z-Ring.

He doesn't have a Z-ring.

Haunter on the hand probably represents the fact that they are Ghost-type team.

Since when are they a Ghost type team? That seems to be more like fan speculation. They probably have Haunter just because evil teams tend to use Poison types a lot.

Last edited:

diakyu

Making the team be a group manipulated by someone with more evil intentions would be a nice twist, especially if you end up fighting with team Skull. But again, we have to see how this develops. Guzma might be a closet homicidal maniac still.

storm12

Weather Bearer
Is anyone else peeved that it just looks like the Grunt's use the usual stock evil team pokemon? I kind of wish Team Skull had a female leader, how have we not had one yet?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
-As many others before and after me, Guzma has a Z-Ring. Since we haven't seen Trial Captains use a Z-Ring, I'm guessing Guzma was actually chosen to be a kahuna, probably the kahuna of the region's legendary, which would make him effectively the champion. This would explain the Team's connection with the mascot legendary.

He was rejected as trial captain, and you think he's gonna be a kahuna?

Making the team be a group manipulated by someone with more evil intentions would be a nice twist, especially if you end up fighting with team Skull. But again, we have to see how this develops. Guzma might be a closet homicidal maniac still.

Yeah I can Guzma starting off as a generic lowlife but gradually progressing into a lunatic craving some unrealistic goal, such as eternal daylight/ eternal night (credit to the person who suggested this earlier). I just find him so interesting and cant wait to see how things develop with him and Team Skull

diakyu

So in the Japanese trailer it seems one of the Trials they mess with is Mallow's. I wouldn't be surprised if they're behind the rampaging Pokemon in Lana's too.

knightwolf09

Yeah I can Guzma starting off as a generic lowlife but gradually progressing into a lunatic craving some unrealistic goal, such as eternal daylight/ eternal night (credit to the person who suggested this earlier). I just find him so interesting and cant wait to see how things develop with him and Team Skull

Can we please get over the eternal day and night goal idea. It's clear they're not interested in that.

Thepowaofhax

Can we please get over the eternal day and night goal idea. It's clear they're not interested in that.

It seems more like they would rather summons the emissaries of the Moon/Sun to destroy the trial system, so...... Yeah.

goodpeople25

They could bring it out inadvertently though, trashing the temple of a powerful legendary Pokemon is bound to do something for example.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
So in the Japanese trailer it seems one of the Trials they mess with is Mallow's. I wouldn't be surprised if they're behind the rampaging Pokemon in Lana's too.
I think the rampaging Pokémon in Lana's is her task, though.

gliscor&yanmega

I think the rampaging Pokémon in Lana's is her task, though.

Team Skull could still be behind it though. Basically, off screen they did something and caused whatever Pokemon to act up. Lana learns of this and decides to have us solve the problem. We probably encounter Team Skull as we calm the Pokemon. Defeat Team Skull, report back to Lana and tell her Team Skull was the cause.

Thepowaofhax

They could bring it out inadvertently though, trashing the temple of a powerful legendary Pokemon is bound to do something for example.
Do you want to have an Armageddon? Because this is how you get an Armageddon.

goodpeople25

Me? No. (story wise it depends on execution) Team Skull on the other hand? They might not know (or at least the scale) or just not care at that point.

ABC595

I actually wonder if there is another requirement to become a trial captain... Because the boss states that he and kukei "never could become captains" so what if there is some sort of family requirement to become a captain

knightwolf09

I actually wonder if there is another requirement to become a trial captain... Because the boss states that he and kukei "never could become captains" so what if there is some sort of family requirement to become a captain

Then that'd be bias, and the captains don't look related. So I'm guessing it's mostly that they have to be good people to be captains. And Guzma doesn't look like he's good.

Rapiido

The grunts threw out their Pokemon in what looked like Nest balls and Primeria sent her Golbat out with an Ultra ball...
Well that's a nice change.

Status
Not open for further replies.