• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Skull, Aether Foundation and Plot Discussion Thread [Contains Story Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Doesnt it seem a little Farfetch'd if they accidentaly revealed ANOTHER trail captain?
In all fairness, I doubt the other Trial Captain that was "accidently" shown was actually an accident. GF (or I guess the marketing team) puts certain details in the trailers for a reason. Even that CoroCoro trailer earlier the year that showed overworld Rockruff was intentional, as during their next issue they actually point it out.

glacialcat

And let's dispel once and for all with the fiction that GameFreak doesn't know what it's doing. It knows exactly what it's doing.

Suggesting that they 'accidentally' revealed a Trial Captain with these trailers is kind of like suggesting they 'accidentally' revealed the Fighting and Ghost Z-Move, or that they 'accidentally' revealed the Poke-Ride selection screen.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Developers are aware that fans like to analyze pre-release screenshots and trailers of their games.

Nothing is "accidental" about these things. This is how we come to speculate.

And let's dispel once and for all with the fiction that GameFreak doesn't know what it's doing. It knows exactly what it's doing.

Suggesting that they 'accidentally' revealed a Trial Captain with these trailers is kind of like suggesting they 'accidentally' revealed the Fighting and Ghost Z-Move, or that they 'accidentally' revealed the Poke-Ride selection screen.

If "they" is referring to GF, I highly doubt that they're the ones who cut these trailers together, though I certainly see your point.

Developers are aware that fans like to analyze pre-release screenshots and trailers of their games.

Nothing is "accidental" about these things. This is how we come to speculate.

Exactly. It takes a lot of (wo)man hours to cut together these trailers, meaning that a lot of men/women will likely work in IT or view it during the cutting process. If there was really something revealed by "accident", I'm fairly sure that someone would be quick to point it out during the process rather than fans pointing it out after the fact.

Last edited:
I feel like Team Skull will be Pokemon smugglers, bringing in non-native pokemon and the Aether Foundation will be cleaning it up trying to preserve the unique ecology of Alola...but then maybe ala Water/Fire teams they take it too far and decide to unleash ultra beasts on nearby places to prevent further contamination?

Would allow for Team Skull to have non-native pokemon and could work into the story about getting permission for your family to have it's non-Alolan Meowth on the island.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
What kind of pokemon will the Aether Foundation use though. I doubt they use Route 1 rodents and icky Poison-types.

Hmmm well since the Aether Foundation members are all dressed in white and seem to care for injured pokemon, I could see them specializing in fairy types or perhaps psychic types. They might not even have type specialties however, which is fine by me. :3

ItsMeBrandon

On the topic of different divisions, I find it particularly odd that the Aether Foundation has multiple branches/divisions, but we have no indication of how many there are or what any one branch does.
So far we have employees in predictable white outfits and Faba, who is the chief of one of the branches. Wicke is an assistant branch chief, and for sake of brevity in character variety she's probably Faba's assistant, but that might not necessarily be true.

There's definitely room for the idea of divisions/branches, seeing as at least one division would aim to stop Team Skull and other criminals, while I'm sure at least one other division would focus on researching the Ultra Beasts. If it is true that it's not the entire foundation but rather a given division that becomes evil, it would probably be the latter one. A third division might just bring in Pokémon that need "extra protection," as Wicke states.
...I'm curious- if Team Skull used to be part of the Aether Foundation as some of you guys are speculating, then what jobs would they have been doing?

(Also, because I'm crazy about translating any Japanese that I can read, the picture on the previous page looks like the girl is saying something like, "Welcome! [to] gift shop 'Ball Shop 1'".)

diakyu

So we can see Gladion awakening Type: Null's evo in the scan meaning when they say "a trainer it trusts" they mean him (also the player when we catch one but that means nothing in the grand scheme of things). With this I think we can assume Type: Null is some freak experiment that was tortured when it was created leaving it with its trust issues. It being Gladion's pokemon means that Gladion likely saved it from whoever was hurting it. Then note Gladion's similarities to Lusamine and Lillie.

We all know where this is going. Type: Null is the Aether Foundation's creation. Has to be. Why else would he join Team Skull who is actively at odds with the Aether Foundation (also note his text about not wanting to fight because he doesn't want your pokemon to get hurt, sure on one hand this is a snide remark but on the other it's because his own pokemon was tortured). But this goes deeper to me. Team Skull has a focus on bonds between their members, almost like they're all family. This leads me too believe that Team Skull has no grand plan, they are just riffraff causing trouble. They are GF's first attempt at a sympathetic Team. When the crap hits the fan with Gladion and the Foundation, Team Skull will be there to back him up that's their place in these games imo.

Last edited:

shadowF

So we can see Gladion awakening Type: Null's evo in the scan meaning when they say "a trainer it trusts" they mean him (also the player when we catch one but that means nothing in the grand scheme of things). With this I think we can assume Type: Null is some freak experiment that was tortured when it was created leaving it with its trust issues. It being Gladion's pokemon means that Gladion likely saved it from whoever was hurting it. Then note Gladion's similarities to Lusamine and Lillie.

We all know where this is going. Type: Null is the Aether Foundation's creation. Has to be. Why else would he join Team Skull who is actively at odds with the Aether Foundation (also note his text about not wanting to fight because he doesn't want your pokemon to get hurt, sure on one hand this is a snide remark but on the other it's because his own pokemon was tortured). But this goes deeper to me. Team Skull has a focus on bonds between their members, almost like they're all family. This leads me too believe that Team Skull has no grand plan, they are just riffraff causing trouble. They are GF's first attempt at a sympathetic Team. When the crap hits the fan with Gladion and the Foundation, Team Skull will be there to back him up that's their place in these games imo.

wait there is a scan saying that Gladion evolves Type:Null? I really hope that is the case and not that Gladion is a ultra beast and once he is revealed to be the ultra beast he gives us his Type:Null to evolve.

diakyu

wait there is a scan saying that Gladion evolves Type:Null? I really hope that is the case and not that Gladion is a ultra beast and once he is revealed to be the ultra beast he gives us his Type:Null to evolve.
There's a new piece of art for him at the bottom of the scan.

Aleh

«Last Hope»
Amazing how even just these bits of pre-release information are already better than the whole story of XY. Very promising so far

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur

Very well said,. You pretty much summed up everything I've been thinking the past few days, and especially after the scans. It also, I believe, lends extra credence to the fact that Guzma might be one of the people that teaches us a Z-move (perhaps Poison), as it's unlikely there is a Trial Captain for each of the 18 types, but we know he attempted to become one once. Obviously he is unlikely to do so if you are enemies, but if you end up teaming up with them against Aether, it is suddenly much more plausible.

misunderstoodhero

I don't have anything concrete to add to this discussion, but I've only just realized how much I'm excited for the storyline in Sun & Moon, and this is the first time I'm excited for the storyline in a Pokemon game.

Given all the info we have on the connection between the three starters and Rockruff, Type:Null and Silvadi, The "unique story role of Lunaala and Solgaleo", Ultra Beasts, The Island Challenge, The Island Guardian Deities, Team Skull and The Aether Foundation and the implied connections between Lillie, Lusamine and Gladion and how all these different elements are going to possibly link together in the narrative makes me think we have a much more deep and complex storyline waiting for us this time round. I'm thinking not quite, but close to the complexity of other JRPS such as Final Fantasy and the Tales series.

shadowF

There's a new piece of art for him at the bottom of the scan.

Oh yeah found it. Here it is:https://www.pokekalos.fr/assets/images/news/2016/10/13/GX9hQ.jpg,https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuoqMHaVIAAKrth.jpg:large. Makes Gladion look like a badass and the rival we will actually get to battle. Still think it is cool that we all wanted a rival who works for the villain team and we finally get that with Gladion. Really does seem like Pokemon Sun and Moon are going to be the best games ever.

Last edited:

Bus

Oh yeah found it. Here it is:https://www.pokekalos.fr/assets/images/news/2016/10/13/GX9hQ.jpg. Makes Gladion look like a badass and the rival we will actually get to battle. Still think it is cool that we all wanted a rival who works for the villain team and we finally get that with Gladion. Really does seem like Pokemon Sun and Moon are going to be the best games ever.

Yeah, I guess the last rival even close to that was 'Silver' since he was the son of Team Rocket's Giovanni. And even then, he didn't want anything to do with them, so he wasn't really closely associated with them in the end. In fact, there's probably plenty of people out there who don't even realize that he was the son of Giovanni.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Yeah, I guess the last rival even close to that was 'Silver' since he was the son of Team Rocket's Giovanni. And even then, he didn't want anything to do with them, so he wasn't really closely associated with them in the end. In fact, there's probably plenty of people out there who don't even realize that he was the son of Giovanni.

after pokemon generations, it should be well known imo!

.Aerodactyl.

I don't have anything concrete to add to this discussion, but I've only just realized how much I'm excited for the storyline in Sun & Moon, and this is the first time I'm excited for the storyline in a Pokemon game.

Given all the info we have on the connection between the three starters and Rockruff, Type:Null and Silvadi, The "unique story role of Lunaala and Solgaleo", Ultra Beasts, The Island Challenge, The Island Guardian Deities, Team Skull and The Aether Foundation and the implied connections between Lillie, Lusamine and Gladion and how all these different elements are going to possibly link together in the narrative makes me think we have a much more deep and complex storyline waiting for us this time round. I'm thinking not quite, but close to the complexity of other JRPS such as Final Fantasy and the Tales series.

I agree! This might very well be the first generation I buy both games, just so I can have a main game and one I can replay over and over again to enjoy the fantastic story :D

I think this just goes to prove how you can have a more adult-friendly game with a rating safe for kids to play. Those two things don't have to mutually exclusive, and this game really seems to be branching out to try and satisfy ALL gamers with their plot.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I must say that I agree with the above sentiments. This game is looking to have the best storyline so far in the series. I'm looking forward to see how the Island Trials, Team Skull, the Aether Foundation, and the Ultra Beasts all come together.

gliscor&yanmega

Gladion ends up with a level 53 Silvally(Japanese trailer). Looks like we'll end up being high level during the main story, figured as much. Looks like the battle will be on the last island too so possibly the final fight with him for the main story.

Status
Not open for further replies.