• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Theory: Cores of X/Y OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've done anything on this page, so here it is.

Most teams follow a central Pokemon core, which are 2-3 Pokemon that work very well together.

So Serebiians, what cores have you used in X/Y OU?

To keep the thread looking tidy, it's best if you all post your cores like this:
Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 196 SDef / 72 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave / Will-o-Wisp
- Rest

This core's goal is to utilize Volt-Turn to lure in Pokemon to be trapped by MegaGengar. ScRotom has been a strong core since early B/W and is still strong in Gen VI since their respective typings resist each other's weakness. Because both pokemon are slower than the rest of the metagame, they can Volt Switch out and guarantee that Gengar get in unharmed. Gengar can proceed to MegaEvolve, trap the target, and potentially kill it. VoltTurn also helps Gengar by weakening the target before Gengar comes in and making Gengar's kills easier to obtain.

McDanger

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock

Bisharp @ Lum Berry/Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Low Kick/Iron Head

This set makes use of defog, working well on bulk offensive teams mostly. Landorus sets up stealth rocks, which baits in common defoggers such as mandibuzz, bulky scizor, and mew, in which cause you switch to bisharp on the defog, get the defiant boost, and then sweep. The core is fairly easy to use and isnt weak to common threats so much as aegislash is OHKOed by lando and +2 bisharp, while talonflame uses flare blitz on bisharp, allowing bisharp to use sucker punch and OHKO it back. Expert belt genesect can be checked with lando, while scarfed can be used to set up bisharp. The biggest threat to the core is keldeo and to a lesser degree terrakion, tho neither can switch into landorus.

Psycho Cut

I've been using the following:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Levitate
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SDef / 220 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-wisp
- Hidden Power Fire

Aegislash @ Leftovers/Weakness Policy/Life Orb (still not decided)
Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

These two cover each other's weaknesses pretty much perfectly, and are just generally great Pokemon to be using. Watch out for Mold Breaker Excadrill though.

Spock

Live Long & Prosper
Really enjoy Galvantula with Sticky Web and Volt-Turn, Talonflame with Flare Blitz and U-Turn, and Mold Breaker Excadrill. Always a good launch point for a battle.

Killadave

I'm going to Follow this Core
Scizor and Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/252 ATK
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower/X-Scissor
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash and Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Wil-O-Wisp

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
I'll try to give my previous ubers core a shot here (its more on offensive core synergy) in OU. At least I won't have to go to Ubers oce more since Manaphy isn't so broken this time: read: manageable. Its still in pokebank OU though.

Victini @ Life orb / Fire Gem / Expert Belt / Focus Sash
Nature: (+Speed / -Sp. Attack) ; (+Attack / -Speed) ; (+Attack / -Sp. Attack)
EVs: 252 Speed and Attack (either the 1st / 3rd Nature) ; 252 Attack, 126 on Defense & Sp. Defense (2nd Nature)
-V Create
-Fusion Bolt / Bolt Strike
-U-turn / Trick Room / Will-o-Wisp
-Brick Break

Jirachi @ Leftovers / any Choice item depending on sets (still deciding) / Expert belt
Natures: Jolly / Timid / Adamant / (+Sp. Atk / - Atk)
EVs: [252 Speed and Attack] ; [252 speed and Sp. Attack] ; [252 HP, 160 Attack, 96 on either Speed or any defensive stat]
-Iron Head / Flash cannon
-Thunder wave / Calm Mind / Wish / Protect
-Drain Punch / Ice Punch / Fire Punch / Zen Headbutt / Thunder Punch
-Thunderbolt / Psychic / Psyshock / Hidden Power of choice

Manaphy @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Choice Specs
Nature: Timid or (+Sp. Atk / - Atk)
EVs: [252 HP and Sp. atk, 4 Spd] ; [252 Spd. and Sp. Atk., 4 Hp]
-Tail Glow / Calm Mind / Heart Swap
-Surf / Scald
-Ice Beam
-Energy Ball (grass knot is more for ubers. Not a lot of pokes are heavy in OU. Unlike Ubers)

Simply, Victini on this set plays as the immediate nuke, Jirachi is offensive utility, and Manaphy is set up for late game sweep/lead sweeper). Personally, everytime I see Scizor, I want that thing out immediately all the time. But it does have a problem with the standard Aegislash set. Though this core could check it, the mixed Aegislash is easier to check. Mega Genghis Khan is still scary unless Burnt or Paralyzed on the switch. Talonflame, my kids are scared of him (most likely to Jirachi). Garchomp and Dragonite, serious Jerasses to this offensive core.

Review of each pokemon.
There are two options Victini could do: the usual hit and run attacker. Or the surprise trick room sweeper (I'm looking at you Mega Gengar). Prority is still a Jerkass. Since the movesets are well known, not much to be said. But if you want to Will-o-wisp an aegislash, you can make Victini the Bait to the standard Aegislash if given the opportunity.

Manaphy runs its two usual sets that will depend on preference. Can act as a somewhat okay deterrent to the Standard Aegislash set if the EV investment is on the Bulky Special Attacker. This is from experience from using him in PS. Not so bad at +2 shadow Sneak. but above that, most likely not. But with the Calm Mind set, It could potentially deter the Mixed Aegislash with Scald.

On Jirachi's case, I'm not sure hot to simplify the varying sets it could do: the Flinching strategy set works as usual. Letting it hold a Choice Item also works to go all out offensive, or simply play a mixed role set if you want. But as of this tier, the Special offensive utility works for me in paper. With Talonflames running around, I could lure it to come in and paralyze it with thunder wave. Since she resists its brave bird priority, when slowed down, she can fire off a powerful thunderbolt at it and possibly one hit ko it if invested with enough Sp. Attack EVs. As for Aegislash, she hates him this time. But she could tank a hit at full health and retaliate with a Fire punch during said Aegislash's Blade forme's crappy defenses.

But I hate to say, Mega Gengar is still a Jerkass until it gets possibly banned like what Pokemon Online did. Also, Mega Ampharos (Amphabulous) kinda gives this core of mine some trouble. Note that this is offensive synergy.

What I like about this core is the fact that three of them can play a bulky offense role last generation (not so much for Victini). Also, bulky offense is becoming the norm of this Generation's metagame. So I think that all of the 100 base legendaries that I really love so much will shine in this generation. Heck Pokemon with a Jack of all stats could prosper in this generation too.

ModelT

The Normal Trainer
This core's goal is to utilize Volt-Turn to lure in Pokemon to be trapped by MegaGengar. ScRotom has been a strong core since early B/W and is still strong in Gen VI since their respective typings resist each other's weakness. Because both pokemon are slower than the rest of the metagame, they can Volt Switch out and guarantee that Gengar get in unharmed. Gengar can proceed to MegaEvolve, trap the target, and potentially kill it. VoltTurn also helps Gengar by weakening the target before Gengar comes in and making Gengar's kills easier to obtain.

One small problem here: Gengar CAN get in unharmed, but unless he already mega'd, he won't lock down anything that doesn't want to already be looking at him. Mons can still switch if Gengar isn't Mega Evolved at the start of turn. I mean, you will have plenty of switch capabilities, and Gengar is fast and strong, but still that first mega evolve needs to happen before this works. Of course, after he DOES mega evolve, you're fine.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
this is what ive been using
Rotom-W w/ zoom lens
quiet nature (252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 SpDef)
Thunder
Will-o-wisp
Hex
Hydro Pump

Aegislash w/ shell bell
brave nature (252 Atk/ 128 Def/ 128 SpDef)
King's Shield
Swords Dance
Shadow Sneak
Iron Head (for faires)

_Sylveon_

Indigo Champion
this is what ive been using
Rotom-W w/ zoom lens
quiet nature (252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 SpDef)
Thunder
Will-o-wisp
Hex
Hydro Pump

Aegislash w/ shell bell
brave nature (252 Atk/ 128 Def/ 128 SpDef)
King's Shield
Swords Dance
Shadow Sneak
Iron Head (for faires)

This is just plain bad, honestly. That Rotom-Wash set is bad and Aegislash + Shell Bell? Try this instead:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 160 Atk / 252 HP / 96 SAtk
Brave Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head

Those EVs make 0 sense, honestly.

Honus

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Protect

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
-Hidden Power [Fire]

Solid defensive core that is able to stave off a lot of the metagame with its fwg synergy. All 3 are great additions to a defensive team by themselves, and really solid as a core when they're together.

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Electrifying.

Solid defensive core that is able to stave off a lot of the metagame with its fwg synergy. All 3 are great additions to a defensive team by themselves, and really solid as a core when they're together.

Yeah, that looks like a great core, but what's the last move on Venusaur?

Honus

Yeah, that looks like a great core, but what's the last move on Venusaur?

I think I had Earthquake given that he's Relaxed but it looks like I changed it on teambuilder to HP Fire and just pasted it wrong, sorry about that.

dewey911p

primus inter pares
Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power --> Drought
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Heat Wave

Heliolisk @ Air Balloon
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 S. Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse

Venasaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 S. Atk / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Pretty solid core so far for me. Mega evolve on turn 1 to set up sun and negate any weather inducers set in then proceed to smash. Sun boosted STAB Heat Wave from Charizard Y is scary, scary and deadly. Solar Power Heliolisk hits fast and hard and adds nice coverage to the set. He also carries Volt Switch in case Cholorsaur would be better suited for the task at hand. This has been a pretty nice Sun team so far with the major problem being a 4X weakness to rock type moves and a paper thin lizard. Normally the core can handle any issues with raw power and speed, but Aerodactyl has been the death of me on more than one occasion.

On my showdown team, I use this offensive core:

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch/Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch/Crunch
- Swords Dance

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs 4 Atk/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-Turn
- Surf
- Dark Pulse/ Extrasensory
- Ice Beam

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
-Knock Off

Even though two out of three are fighting types, they all have great synergy together. Greninja hits physical walls really well with STAB everything, and U-Turns out when he can't do anything. Conkeldurr allows me to eat a burn directed at Lucario, which gives him an attack boost. Assault vest adds to his poor special bulk, allowing him to take hits from both sides. Lucario is my cleaner, as he annihilates pretty much everything with a +2 Close Combat, and nails revenge killers with Extreme Speed/Bullet Punch (can't decide which to use yet, still testing both.)

So far, these three allow me to win a good amount of my matches. Of course I have other pokes, but these three are the stars of my team.

Slowbro @ rocky helmet or leftovers
Ability: regenerator
Evs 252 hp 252 def 4 spd
Bold nature
-slack off
-ice beam
-scald
-toxic/thunder wave

Amoongus @ black sludge
Ability: regenerator
Evs 252 hp 252 def 6 spd
Bold nature
-spore
-giga drain
-sludge bomb
-stun spore/foul play

These two make a great regenerator duo. You can use a special defensive ammongus as well. They cover each others weaknesses well and the game plan is to spread statuses, take hits and switch out to heal with regenerator. They work well if there was an aromatherapy user on your team.

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
These two make a great regenerator duo. You can use a special defensive ammongus as well. They cover each others weaknesses well and the game plan is to spread statuses, take hits and switch out to heal with regenerator. They work well if there was an aromatherapy user on your team.
Its more fun when you add a Regenerator Tangrowth with Big Root and a Regenerator Reuinculeus (sp?) with Trick Room and screens. I have people quit regularly on Smogon because of the hazards, status, and infinite swap healing.

Audino and Mienshao are also fun parts in this kind of team. Not very ofensive overall, but fun if you can controll the opponent and keep a defoger/hazer alive.

Volcer

Shur'tugal
I found this core on Smogon, and it's pretty good.

Lucario (M) @ Lucarionite
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Crunch
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Fast, offensive duo. Mega-Luke can't touch physically bulky landorus-t, so Salamence lures it in, and Draco Meteors it. Salamence>Dragonite on this core because mence does not need to sacrifice much offensive pressure so that it can outspeed things! while Dragonite does. Lucario defeats pretty much all Steel-types Mence has trouble with, as well as Fairies. Salamence's Draco meteor also does a number to physically defensive Washtom, weakening it enough for Mega-Lucario to KO it.

One notable threat I can see right now is Azumarill, so one Pokemon on the team needs to be able to check/counter it and KO back.

I found this core on Smogon, and it's pretty good.

Lucario (M) @ Lucarionite
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Crunch
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Fast, offensive duo. Mega-Luke can't touch physically bulky landorus-t, so Salamence lures it in, and Draco Meteors it. Salamence>Dragonite on this core because mence does not need to sacrifice much offensive pressure so that it can outspeed things! while Dragonite does. Lucario defeats pretty much all Steel-types Mence has trouble with, as well as Fairies. Salamence's Draco meteor also does a number to physically defensive Washtom, weakening it enough for Mega-Lucario to KO it.

One notable threat I can see right now is Azumarill, so one Pokemon on the team needs to be able to check/counter it and KO back.

Breloom is a pretty good counter as it outspeeds it, and takes little from Aqua Jet. Also +2 Close Combat still deals a good amount of damage, since it out damages a neutral Bullet Punch.

Breloom is a pretty good counter as it outspeeds it, and takes little from Aqua Jet. Also +2 Close Combat still deals a good amount of damage, since it out damages a neutral Bullet Punch.

Oh BTW Azu has STAB Play Rough so it's an incredibly shaky check at best. Add that to the fact that Breloom compounds the Talon weakness, and it shows that Breloom might not be the best addition here.

The core actually has quite good synergy together, and the only thing missing is a way of beating Azumarill+Talonflame, which is handled readily by a Scarfed Rotom-W, adding a Volt Switch and piling on the fast, offensive pressure.

Oh BTW Azu has STAB Play Rough so it's an incredibly shaky check at best. Add that to the fact that Breloom compounds the Talon weakness, and it shows that Breloom might not be the best addition here.

The core actually has quite good synergy together, and the only thing missing is a way of beating Azumarill+Talonflame, which is handled readily by a Scarfed Rotom-W, adding a Volt Switch and piling on the fast, offensive pressure.
I meant check. (I always mix up the two). Most Azumarill are Banded, at least in my experience, and is usually locked into Aqua Jet/Waterfall, allowing Breloom to come in and force it out/KO it with Seed Bomb/ Bullet Seed. I'd say the absolute best counter to it is Mega Venusaur, but since he's using Mega Luke, it doesn't really matter. At plus 2, Mega Luke deals ~50% with CC, IIRC anyways, so he can 2HKO on the switch. A good overall counter is Ferrothorn, although he has to watch out for SuperPower. Pivot Aegislash can act as a pretty good check, and can lower Azumarills attack with Kings Shield.

Overall, the core of the two is really solid. I wouldn't worry about Azumarill too much, since it has to switch in most of the time. Banded Talonflame that invests in HP can be a problem and revenge kill. other than that, not much can switch in.

Status
Not open for further replies.