• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team TrollFreak is very sexy (Peaked #4)

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P
Intro

Hello Serebii, and welcome everyone to my very Ubers RMT. My name is TrollFreak (aka DragonMaster123, DM123, Banana*****, etc etc), and I love Dragon-type Pokemon. My favorite is Salamence and Hydregion. I am the Ubers Brain of these forums. But enough of me, on to the RMT. After peaking in the top 40 in BW OU, and a Top 8 finish in the Southeast VGC 2011 seniors division, i wanted to learn other tiers, especially ubers. This team peaked #4 under the name TrollFreak. It's an offensive team that tries to keep the momentum going in my favor, and it fits into my offensive playstyle perfectly. So, after the ladder resets, I decided to post this team.

KyogreFire.png

Since this is my first Ubers team, Poppy suggested running a balanced offense team. As most experienced players of Ubers know, the most dependable attacker for offense is a Kyorge. It can either rip teams apart thanks to it's base 150 Special Attack, or use a Choice Scarf to revenge many treats. Also, with Water Spout being able to do alot to basically anything, it's easy to understand why Kyorge is a very useful Pokemon in Ubers.

KyogreFire.png
dialga.png

After adding Kyorge, I needed a Pokemon that could set up Stealth Rock. I wanted to use Ferrothorn after that Smog article (idr which one, but i remember reading it somewhere) However, Poppy suggested using a Life Orb Dialga with Stealth Rock, and I was impressed. It's great bulk and typing allows Dialga to switch into alot of attacks, and thanks to great base 150 Special Attack and a Life Orb, it can dish out powerful blows to the opponent as well. Above all of that, it also lays down Stealth Rock for my team, which is crucial in beating Pokemon such as Ho-Oh and Shaymin-S. This, as well as giving Kyorge a defensive backbone make it a valuable part of my team.

KyogreFire.png
dialga.png
PrimalPalkia.png

Why use Dialga by itself when you can add a Palkia as well. Palkia is my line of defense against opposing Kyorge (Dialga helps, but being 4x resistant to water works wonders) as well as keeping the offensive tempo of the team. I wanted to try a Choice Scarf variant, but the first trial of the team proved that this didn't really work, as 3 Choice Scarfers on a team cut away at the offensive synergy(and i didn't plan on using VoltTurn either). So, after debating this with Poppy, we decided on a Lustrous Orb set, and it works wonders. Not only are Palkia's key STAB moves in Spacial Rend and Surf powered up, but it enables me to switch up my moves, which is crucial in most situations. Also, not losing damage thanks to Life Orb, the best alternative, is also a godson, as i don't have a rapid spinner on the team. It's ability to check Kyorge as well as putting offensive pressure on my opponents make Palkia a really good Pokemon.

KyogreFire.png
dialga.png
PrimalPalkia.png
Ancient%20Terrakion.gif

Well, 3 Pokemon into the team, and i still don't have a check to the most dangerous Pokemon in the tier, EKiller Arceus. Of course, me and Poppy both agreed that we needed to keep up the offensive pace of the team. However, the only logical switch I could think of was Skarmory, which of course wasn't offensive at all. So Poppy guided me to the next best thing, and what at first surprised me alot, a Choice Scarf Terrakion. Anyone who plays OU can tell you that Terrakion is one of the best revenge killers in the metagame. Its STABs can tear apart any team, with only things such as Ninoking and Golurk, both of which aren't used much in OU, being able to beat them. It's also a great check to EKiller Arceus, as it has enough bulk to take an ExtreemeSpeed, and thanks to being part Fighting, it can KO with Close Combat. That, and being able to outspeed alot of threats, such as +1 Rayquaza, Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S makes it a great revenge killer of these Pokemon. It's defensive and offensive capabilities make it a great Pokemon to use in ubers, use it more.

KyogreFire.png
dialga.png
PrimalPalkia.png
Ancient%20Terrakion.gif
arceusflyingshiny.png

Well, an Ubers team without Arceus seems weird right, and my team is no exception. However, the Arceus form needed to fill out a specific role. With 2 Pokemon on the team weak to Ground, and adding yet another Dragon-type Pokemon such as Rayquaza to fill it up which makes for a big Dragon weakness. Grass Arceus was also redundant, i didn't have issues with other Kyorge or and other Pokemon of that nature. Therefore, he decided to use an Uber that probably hasn't been used much at all, Flying Arceus. Dispite having a Stealth Rock weakness, which sucks especially since i don't have a spinner, but being immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes is very useful, especially since it can just recover off Stealth Rock damage. It also gives my team a well needed Ground immunity, which allows me to beat Groundon without Stone Edge, Calm Mind Grass, Fighting, and Ground Arceus. Also, thanks to Refresh, it can set up on Blissey and Chansey, which is crucial as my team only has 1 physical attack to deal with those two. Arceus-Flying is a very underestimated Pokemon, and the amount of sweeps i pulled off using it makes me never regret using it (it's sprite is awesome too)

KyogreFire.png
dialga.png
PrimalPalkia.png
Ancient%20Terrakion.gif
arceusflyingshiny.png
NinjaDarkrai.png

Darkrai was my personal twist in the team. I always wanted to use it, as it seems to be a dependable lead, and i wasn't wrong. Darkrai makes a great lead, as it puts one Pokemon out of commission for a while, making the opponent basically play 6-5 from turn 1. Also, having Substitute to bypass it's common checks makes it work really well as a lead, as it can set up a Substitute and the proceed to attack to put a Pokemon to sleep. Darkrai is an awesome looking Pokemon, and a great lead and glue to my team.

Ranking
ScreenShot2012-05-13at30623AM.png

(03:12:33) *** Your rank in Standard Ubers is 4/11060 [1419 points / 174 battles]!

Team

382.gif
@
Bag_Choice_Scarf_Sprite.png

Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Choice Scarf Kyogre is an effective and powerful revenge killer, as well as giving my team weather control, which is crucial. It has a very powerful Water Spout that deals at least 79.7% to +1 Mewtwo, an OHKO after Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil, which is an impressive feat that other special Choice Scarf attackers, such as Palkia and Dialga, fail to achieve.

The extra power gained from using a Modest nature makes it easier to KO several threats, which are listed below with damage calculations. The EVs allow me to outpace both Deoxys and Deoxys-A, both of which are powerful threats to my team, while retaining power in a Modest Nature.

Modest 131 Base Power Water Spout:

• vs 252/0 Arceus: 37.6% - 44.4% (Chance to 2HKO with Stealth Rock; Timid fails entirely)
  • vs 252/200 Dialga: 39.9% - 47% (Very small chance to 2HKO with Stealth Rock)
  • vs 0/0 Rayquaza: 40.5% - 47.9% (2HKO with Stealth Rock)
  • vs 252/0 Latias: 42.9% - 50.3% (Chance to 2HKO)
  • vs 4/0 Arceus: 43.7% - 51.6% (Very large chance to 2HKO with Stealth Rock)
  • vs 0/0 Giratina-O: 44.2% - 52.4% (2HKO with Stealth Rock; Timid is not guaranteed)
  • vs 252/0 Manaphy: 48.3% - 57.2% (2HKO with Stealth Rock)
Modest Surf:

• vs 0/0 Rayquaza: 29.3% - 34.8%
  • vs 0/0 Dialga/Zekrom/Manaphy: 41.6% - 49.3%
  • vs 4/0 Hydreigon: 47.24% - 55.83% (2HKO with Stealth Rock; Timid is not guaranteed)

483.gif
@
life-orb.png

Trait: Pressure
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SAtk / 40 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Stealth Rock

Dialga is one of the very few Dragon-types who can go the supportive route. Stealth Rock requires no real explanation, as it the backbone to my team, helping Pokemon such as Arceus-Flying pull off sweeps. Draco Meteor is used to dish out immediate damage and strip off more than half of Groudon's health. The reason I used Draco Meteor > Dragon Pulse was that Draco Meteor has the added bonus of OHKOing Reshiram and Palkia without the need of Stealth Rock damage. Fire Blast is the preferred Fire-type move for the extra power and it has the added bonus of 2HKOing most Groudon and Ferrothorn in the rain. Thunder works best alongside Kyogre as its Drizzle ability remedies Thunder's poor accuracy. Dialga aloes act as a check to Zekrom by resisting Bolt Strike and surviving 2 unboosted Outrages on average while Dialga's Draco Meteor will OHKO Zekrom.

The EV Spread gives Diagla enough speed to outpace 32 Ho-Oh, Dialga, Giratina-O, which is useful as I can OHKO Giratina-O with Draco Meteor, as well as being able to attack Ho-Oh with a powerful Thunder.

484.gif
@
Bag_Lustrous_Orb_Sprite.png

Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Spacial Rend

Spacial Rend is its most consistent STAB option dealing solid damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Surf is Palkia's secondary STAB of choice and is easily the most powerful move on the set under the rain, able to 2HKO even Wobbuffet. Thunder is a must for dealing with Kyogre and Tail Glow Manaphy, though it is also my best option for hurting Lugia, and the 30% paralysis rate can really come in handy. Fire Blast lets it take out Steel-types that come in to wall Spacial Rend, and also receives a pseudo STAB boost in the sun.

Since this set is supposed to play as a Choice Scarf set, I used Lustrous Orb over Life Orb, and a Timid Nature as it allows Palkia to outspeed more things.

639.gif
@
Bag_Choice_Scarf_Sprite.png

Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Sacred Sword
- Earthquake

With Terrakion's above-average 108 base Speed boosted by Choice Scarf, Terrakion is able to hit a Speed stat of 519, allowing it to outspeed a vast majority of the Uber tier. In fact, it is able to outspeed any Pokemon without a Speed boost and a good majority of popular Choice Scarf users. Terrakion can outspeed Choice Scarf variants of Palkia and Garchomp, some of the fastest Pokemon in the Uber metagame, as well as outspeed both Rayquaza and Salamence after they have used Dragon Dance. It can also switch into Darkrai's Dark Pulse or Tyranitar's Crunch and gain an Attack stage through its ability as well as being able to outspeed both afterward.

493_flying.gif
@
SkyPlate.png

Trait: Multitype
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Recover
- Refresh

The main advantages of using Flying Arceus over other Arceus formes, or other Flying-types for that matter, are its excellent mono-attacking STAB and the ability to further boost its power. Many of the Steel-types in the tier, such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor, have a secondary typing that makes them vulnerable to Judgment and allows Arceus to capitalize on its Flying-type STAB quite effectively. Arceus outspeeds the vast majority of the Uber tier and has great power and coverage with a single move, so it can easily wreak havoc if left unchallenged.

Unfortunately, Arceus's Flying typing gives it an unfortunate Stealth Rock weakness. However, thanks to its incredible overall bulk and access to Recover, this problem is somewhat mitigated. Arceus can augment its bulk further by using Refresh to prevent opponents from crippling it with status, and subsequently outstalling it. Foes that resist this Flying / Ground combination, such as Skarmory and Thundurus, are both outsped and 2HKOed by Arceus's +1 Judgment, making it really hard to hard on Counter.

darkrai_animated_sprite_by_t7fu8-d325e0i.gif
@
leftovers.png

Trait: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast

This is the very set that propelled Darkrai to fame, or rather notoriety, last generation. Darkrai's stellar base 125 Speed and Dark Void's decent accuracy make supporting my team easy. The basic game plan is to switch into a Pokemon slower than Darkrai, put it to sleep with a Dark Void, set up a Substitute, and start attacking. Focus Blast hits the Dark- and Steel-types that resist Dark-type attacks, most notably Tyranitar, Heatran, Ferrothorn, and opposing Darkrai. Dark Pulse and Focus Blast have near-perfect coverage, resisted only by Heracross and Toxicroak. Substitute allows Darkrai to avoid crippling status, have a fighting chance against Sleep Talkers, and scout for its counters. Dark-type has good type coverage in Ubers, so a mono-attacking set without Focus Blast is extremely viable, although Darkrai will easily be walled by Steel-type Pokemon and Blissey then.

This Darkrai set functions exceptionally well as a lead or late-game sweeper. Thanks to Bad Dreams, Darkrai does not have to worry about its opponent's Focus Sash. Leftovers is used with, as Life Orb recoil will drain Darkrai's health too quickly.

Final Look

382.png
483.png
484.png
639.png
493-flying.png
491.png

Not much else to say that wasn't already covered in the Intro. I hope you enjoyed the team!

Last edited:

Blaaz

Banned
why not nasty plot over substitute on darkrai

Klaus™

Banned
i dont do or like ubers, but i see you have only one resistance to fighting, and 3 of your pokes are weak to it. maybe a good ghost type over darkrai? possibly gengar? can hypnosis others, and sub, and great SpA. sorry, i dont do ubers, so i could be entirely wrong.

Phoopes

There it is.
This is a good looking team, DM. I can't really find any glaring weaknesses with it... maybe Rock Polish Groudon? At +2, it can outspeed even your Terrakion, and really be a pain to handle for most of your team. Obviously, Arceus loses to Stone Edge, Terrakion loses to Earthquake, and Darkrai loses to anything, really. I dunno what the calcs are on Dialga since you have some bulk there, nor do I know what would happen to Palkia. But I'd be wary of something like that, especially after Kyogre meets its demise. Though overall, it's a really solid team. Good job getting to #4!

TrollFreak

Thanks for the posts guys!
why not nasty plot over substitute on darkrai
I like Sub as it makes it harder for Darkrai to go down. Also, most players use something as sleep fodder, while they go into their revenge killers to KO Darkrai predicting the Nasty Plot. With Sub, I can sub in their faces, which works out good for me if I can Sub on a threat.

i dont do or like ubers, but i see you have only one resistance to fighting, and 3 of your pokes are weak to it. maybe a good ghost type over darkrai? possibly gengar? can hypnosis others, and sub, and great SpA. sorry, i dont do ubers, so i could be entirely wrong.

Fighting isn't really common other than Blaziken adn Fight-Arceus, and Gengar is bad in Ubers(like, bad, REALLY bad)

This is a good looking team, DM. I can't really find any glaring weaknesses with it... maybe Rock Polish Groudon? At +2, it can outspeed even your Terrakion, and really be a pain to handle for most of your team. Obviously, Arceus loses to Stone Edge, Terrakion loses to Earthquake, and Darkrai loses to anything, really. I dunno what the calcs are on Dialga since you have some bulk there, nor do I know what would happen to Palkia. But I'd be wary of something like that, especially after Kyogre meets its demise. Though overall, it's a really solid team. Good job getting to #4!

RP Groundon can be annoying if I let it set up. Thankfully, it only gets to set up on 1 pokemon, Terrakion. He can set up since it tanks any attack, and proceed to do massive damage. But usually, it doesn't get a chance to set up, but if it does, it'll be hard to stop

Soperman

The One and Only
The only thing I can think of is that Fire Blast is pointless if on Palkia, especially with Kygore on your team. Except for Ferrothorn, Surf will destroy any Steel types you encounter. Fire Blast is a waste imo.
Why did you want other to make your team better if it's already the best?

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Only thing I can say is, with Palkia you can probably switch the 4SDef EVs into HP, seeing as you're not running Life Orb, and they're more useful in HP. Very minor point though, and other than that amazing team! I'm testing it out on the ladder at the moment, and it's getting very commendable results.

I'm sure there's an explanation, however, why do you use Refresh on Arceus over Substitute? I thought the majority of status users in Ubers were slower than Arceus, so it wouldn't be a problem to run Substitute.

The only thing I can think of is that Fire Blast is pointless if on Palkia, especially with Kygore on your team. Except for Ferrothorn, Surf will destroy any Steel types you encounter. Fire Blast is a waste imo.
Why did you want other to make your team better if it's already the best?

It makes it easier to run in the Sun as well, letting it stay in longer and not have to switch out so often if there s weather war raging.
I saw this in another battle posted in the battle logs forum, and Palkia was able to take a nice chunk out of the opponents incoming Dialga because he predicted the switch and went for the Fire Blast while the sun was up. Otherwise he would have had to lure the opponent to send back in his kyogre to bing back the rain, and then switch back in his Palkia to take advantage of it.

thats what i saw anyways, and it kinda makes sense, like how Volcarona can run in the rain with Hurricane, but keep Fire Blast for when the rain is gone.

TrollFreak

I'm sure there's an explanation, however, why do you use Refresh on Arceus over Substitute? I thought the majority of status users in Ubers were slower than Arceus, so it wouldn't be a problem to run Substitute.

So I can set up on the blobs, w/ sub, it doesn't help If I switch it into the blobs, as Toxic ruins it. With Refresh, this can switch in on the blobs and Ferro w/o Gyro Ball and set up. Leech Seed is annoying, but I have recover to heal it off

McDanger

nice team, i cant really find anything, maybe a second move on arceus for more coverage, all tho with enough boosts it wont matter

Eaglehawk

Banned
Hey, Trollfreak! Amazing team you have here and great job getting to 4th on the ladder!

Now, this team is pretty solid, but I feel that Rock Polish Groudon, while not an immediate threat, can potentially kill or severely weaken your team after a Rock Polish. After a Rock Polish, Groudon outspeeds your whole team. Even though Kyogre can take a hit and strike back, it's a OHKO 46% of the time factoring in Stealth Rock, so it isn't that solid of a check. Even worse, once Kyogre's killed off, it's pretty much gg, as Groudon OHKOes Dialga, Darkrai, and Terrakion with Earthquake, OHKOs Palkia with Dragon Claw 7.69% of the time (87.18% with Stealth Rock), and finally 2HKOs Arceus-Flying with Stone Edge, OHKO with Stealth Rock (Unboosted Judgement does 59.35% - 69.92%).