• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Teams viewable before the start of a battle

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
This includes link battles, random wifi battles and friend code battles.

Discuss!

It makes mindgames even more intense.

Knowing each others teams is an advantage for both you and your opponent. On one hand you will know which members of their team you need to take out in order to sweep, but at the same time they will know which ones are most important to keep alive. Themed teams (like Rain and Sun) will also be less effective since the presence of Politoed/Ninetails/Abomasnow/Kyogre/Groudon will make your strategy all too obvious. In some cases this means that matches will be decided before they are over such as if someone has no counter for something on the opponents team then they simply have to bring in that pokemon and sweep. It also eliminates the element of surprise making uncommon threats less threatening since the opponent can see them coming from a mile away. Another thing is it lets you pick which pokemon you are going to lead off with in battle which means if you see an Azelf or something you will be able to pick something to counter what you think their lead is. This does add some skill to choosing your leads as it will come down to predicting their choice versus yours as opposed to it being a stab in the dark each time you started a battle like in past gens. This might also make Shadow Tag a bit more bearable as you will be able to see a Shanderaa coming before it sets up a Sub and 6 CMs and sweeps you. Its kind of a mixed bag and it will change the way people play greatly, and it will definatly take some getting used to. Its hard to say whether or not this will be good or bad though.

I don't really mind it , though I do wish they had an option to where you could turn it off . It makes overpredictions that much more costly.

But thats why this is great! Over-predictions are less of a problem and if you lose to a Swords Dance Lucario because you Taunted a Gyarados with your Gliscor, losing it to a Waterfall its your fault. You can't say "damn I had no idea your last Pokemon was a Swords Dance Lucario because now it should always be in the back of your mind. The crappy luck-based step of scouting is replaced with the more tactical step of attempting to kill ****.

Knowing what your opponent has makes risks less of a random guess and more of planned out calculations.

murkrowrob

Yamask Hugger x_x
Good: Leads to more skill being used as opposed to just guessing what he will switch to/use.
Bad: Weather teams too obvious and some strategies may become very obvious too.

You know you're fighting a weather team the first turn when they use Rain Dance. Some leads like Electrode give it away instantly. Its not like revealing a Kabutops is really going to change your counter-Rain strategy much.

Ademis

Nattorei (lead)
252 HP/252 Def EVs
Sunny Day, Stealth Rock, Power Whip, Explosion

Urugamosu
4 HP/252 SpA/252SpD EVs
Heatwave, Solarbeam, Butterfly Dance/Bug Buzz, HP: Ground

Wouldn't that counter pretty much all rain teams without having to base your team around it? SD it up, Power Whip will oneshot politoad, SR if you have time, then let the Urugamosu sweep begin? I'm not too well versed in the metagame, it's been months since I played online.

diehatsu

Nattorei (lead)
252 HP/252 Def EVs
Sunny Day, Stealth Rock, Power Whip, Explosion

Urugamosu
4 HP/252 SpA/252SpD EVs
Heatwave, Solarbeam, Butterfly Dance/Bug Buzz, HP: Ground

Wouldn't that counter pretty much all rain teams without having to base your team around it? SD it up, Power Whip will oneshot politoad, SR if you have time, then let the Urugamosu sweep begin? I'm not too well versed in the metagame, it's been months since I played online.

you read my mind this is the core of the sunny day team i'm planning

but this seeing before hand is bad to me
i see your entire team has not S.R. weakness so i'll not set it up
i see Urugamosu i set up S.R.
i makes predicting what is coming so easy
it does not remove luck or encourage skill i think it makes it too easy

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'm quite used to seeing the opponent's team before battling as I've played a lot of Pokémon Battle Revolution, which always does such a thing.

I figured this would've come about anyway, since you pick four Pokémon from your team for Rotation Battles. If you didn't see your opponent's team, chances are you'd just pick the same four Pokémon every time.

What I'd like to know is if you can change the lead Pokémon you have. Like, say, you were planning on beginning with Infernape but it turns out your opponent has a Water Pokémon of some sort at the top.

tawp64

I really hate this, so I'd assume most online battle sims will have an option. Whats the point if you know their team? Here's an example:
-You have Empoleon out.
-They have Vaporeon.
-You know they have Infernape.

Would you surf, assuming they'll switch in Infernape to take a grass knot?

The metagame would become boring, and just plain guessing. Without it, you must predict, and you wouldn't know about the Infernape.

Let me get this straight. So after seeing an opponent's team, do you get to choose which of your Pokemon you want to lead with? Or will it still always be the first thing on your team?

Regardless, I'm having mixed feelings about this..

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
I'm trying to get used to it. If the game is being played this way, we must adjust. But I agree with the people who say that it now makes it less luck and more skill. It may encourage some weird sets because of people expecting standard ones.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Heh, I'm getting a kick out of people being uneasy because of it being out of their comfort zone.

I suppose you all could try renting PBR for a spell to see how it's like.

BaldWombat

Mortal Wombat!
This will really open the metagame up and put less focus on suicide leads, which ruled 4th gen. The core of your team and your team's strategy will be the most important part of the game. Say your team has a weakness to a specific set of a certain poke and your opponent has that certain poke, now you will be better situated to get around it because you know it is on your opponent's team. Predictions will become even more important in this game than they were in the past. This mechanic will seperate the elite from the merely good.