• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Techniques in the Anime

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Meh... I'm kinda bored, but I've been thinking about something we can talk about.

There are many types of Pokemon that represent something, but Pokemon attacks messes it up. For example, Swampert is water/ground, mainly because of the whole mud thing. But what if it used Mud Shot on a flying Pokemon? The flying Pokemon would not be hit, because Mud shot is ground type. But when you think about it, there should be just as much chance a Mud Shot would hit a flying Pokemon as there is a, say... Water Gun.

Anyone else have any examples of this kind of thing happening? How would this be straightened out in the anime without avoiding the situation? Any other Pokemon techniques in the anime anyone's wanted to say anything about?

Kabuto

little punks!
Actually thats game standards. I've seen the anime mess up all the time, I've seen earthquake hit a flying type when it isn't airbourne. This is more game standards, rarely have I seen the anime stick with types. I've seen psychic pokemon hit a dark type like Cacnea. Its just different from the games. And remember, mud shot is from the ground while water gun is from water.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
seizureman said:
And remember, mud shot is from the ground while water gun is from water.
Well, I've seen it come straight out of Swampert's mouth in the anime, and you might recall seeing that, too.

#1 Poke Fan

Well, with so many moves and Pokemon it would be pretty hard to keep everything in order.

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
ChaosMage said:
Try to spot the mess-up...

I was about to metion that, but you beat me to it :).

MaskedManAbsolkid

ChaosMage said:
Try to spot the mess-up...

Yep, just noticed it.

The anime is more strategised rather than type-based. That's why Ash does things like get a Cyndaquil to stop any fire coming from it's body, going underwater and then using Swift.

G

Geki

Pokemon techniques vary from in the games and the anime all the time. But, Mud Shot and stuff should hit flying types since it can clearly be shot out like a Water Gun attack.

Angeling

true love
Old episodes, but Pikachu was able to use its electric moves on Phanpy during its hatched episode. And Pryce's Piloswine was still able to be electrified, though underneath.

Like Former Absolkid said, the anime is more about strategies than the types.. I mean, Rhydon has Surf and Satoshi's Pikachu has Volt Tackle. *cough* And probably other stuff too.

RaikousThunder

Poison Tail!!
I think Mud Shot should be able to hit Flying types in the game or those with Levitate but its easier for them to make all of the Ground type attacks not hit than just a few i suppose.

In the Johto League Charizard got hit by Earthquake from Golem even though its a Flying type. It was standing on the ground however so it should have gotten hit. Electric attacks on Ground pokemon seem to differ with the situation. Phanpy was a newborn when it got shocked by Pikachu. Its resistance probably wasnt as strong since it was just a baby. Piloswine was shocked on its underbelly and since it was surprised its defenses probably werent as strong as if it were struck from head on. The power of the attack also makes a difference in the anime. Pikachu got powered up before the battle against Brock in the first season and creamed his Geodude. Plus its also Pikachu :p With the Rhydon knowing Surf it can learn that in the games, its not just an Anime thing. They probably put it into the anime because of the games. Its such an odd thing to see a pokemon like Rhydon know how to swim. Strange things can happen in the anime and trying to explain everything will drive you nuts.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Well, yeah. The anime can be very flexible about... just about everything it takes from the games.

Ground attacks should perhaps only be from the ground. I'm almost convinced it would have been a better idea to make Mud Shot a water-type attack, but then what would be the point of it...

Champion Jared 14

Strange. I was just thinking. Shouldn't earthquake affect a flying-type if it's sitting on the ground? Type resistances don't seem to play an important role in the show. Like when that coordinator's houndooms's shadow ball damaged May's Skitty. Or the time when Seviper's poison tail worked on Brock's Forretress.

Puffs

...NINE-THOUSAND!!!!
Pikachu has also been able to hurt Ground types after they've been soaked in water.

I like how battles are more strategy, field advantage, and creativity in the anime. Like in Ash's Cerulean Gym battle where Staryu dove into the water to wash off Stun Spore before it took effect.

cunn!ng

weavile trainer
I can also remember some times when pikachu was able to hit ground type pokemon with thunderbolt.

ps sorry, I didn't notice the same message above =(

C

Charizard 1337

In the anime, there is hardly a difference between Tackle and Take Down. Both are super-powerful attacks in the anime.