• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Telling attacks apart?

cloudk

hates you.
Has anyone noticed that some attacks look the same? For instance, hydro pump and water gun and steel wing and wing attack. Is there anyway to tell apart those 4 attacks?

And why do some attacks change animations? Quick attack used to make the user "teleport" and then strike the foe, but it changed to just a white trail of light behind the user sometime after the silver league.

dman_dustin

Has anyone noticed that some attacks look the same? For instance, hydro pump and water gun and steel wing and wing attack. Is there anyway to tell apart those 4 attacks?

And why do some attacks change animations? Quick attack used to make the user "teleport" and then strike the foe, but it changed to just a white trail of light behind the user sometime after the silver league.

For Hydro Pump and Water Gun, if the Pokemon knows both then it's obvious hydro pump is more powerful. Which means hydro pump is using more water than water gun. Of course if a Pokemon only knows one of those moves, the only way to tell the difference is by what the trainer says.

Steel Wing used to flash before the wing glowed but I'm not sure now.

And for why they change animations, the easiest answer is the animator's preference. Another answer is because it depends on how the Pokemon's been trained. Take Nurse Joy's Croagunk, Nurse Joy trained Croagunk to use vacuum wave in heart shape. But I'm sure with some training Vacuum wave can look like anything (a fist, or a palm).

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Well, the increasing availability of digital paint and CGI over the course of the show's life has been a major factor in the attacks looking different, as well as the change in style of anime in general. Look at any animated show and things change over time.

OBSESSED WITH PKNM

I'M BACK...MISS ME?
Well, the increasing availability of digital paint and CGI over the course of the show's life has been a major factor in the attacks looking different, as well as the change in style of anime in general. Look at any animated show and things change over time.

thats one thing that always changes...

i think that some of it is due to translatin and also just having to with how you look at it. you have to remember that the anime has changed from its originl animation and how attcks are made. now they have a better idea on how to show attacks then the original virsion. it all can't stay the same some things have to change.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I've heard wing attack was originally just hitting with the wing, then steel wing glowed like iron tail. Now, both glow, because the animators are obsessed with making EVERYTHING glow. It is annoying.

The most annoying thing is all that punching. Focus punch? Mega punch? What is it? We don't know, it's just a hand lighting up, and punching.

Yup, I remember when bubblebeam looked like ember except blue. Now it's CGI bubbles, so some things changed for the better.

But making everything light up isn't nessecary. Quick attack and aerial ace are hard to tell apart now. I think the shining starts in a different place, but I'm not sure that's consistent. Yup, we have reached the age of bioluminescence... And it'll probably last for at least the duration of the franchise. Brillliant.

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
I've heard wing attack was originally just hitting with the wing, then steel wing glowed like iron tail. Now, both glow, because the animators are obsessed with making EVERYTHING glow. It is annoying.
Yeah I agree hitting someone with your wing shouldn't make it glow unless maybe you're wing is powered up. I think Wing Attack should go back to being just flying low and sideswiping the enemy. If it has to be flashy, they feathers should sharpen like blades and only the outline glow. Steal Wing can be the full glow.

The most annoying thing is all that punching. Focus punch? Mega punch? What is it? We don't know, it's just a hand lighting up, and punching.
I think my above solution works here too. Mega Punch should be the full blow.
Focus Punch should start like a full glow and sink into just an outline. I think it shows how more refined and powerful it is...why it needed FOCUS.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I can tell most apart, but not all. Some attacks are just too similar, they need to be changed.

~Goth~

~Dark Trainer~
Now Night Slash looks like Wing Attack & Steel Wing...this on Honchkrow...they could've been more original like only the tip of it's wing to glow & to get large & sharp[kinda like leaf blade]

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Recolored spheres of energy are undoubtedly my favorite. Everyone loves seeing Shadow Ball constantly, but you wouldn't think Aura Sphere would just be a blue version of Shadow Ball, or that Zap Cannon would merely add a few yellows to Aura Sphere, or that Energy Ball would simply throw some green dye into it, or that Weather Ball would add some tacky fiery effect, or that freaking Water Pulse would just take Aura Sphere and get rid of the transparency, but there you have it.

Beats recolored BEAM attack.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
water gun = ploop ploop ploop
hydro pump = glush pggahugsghrururhgwbhhrybuywergbueww shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

wing attack = swoop bam
steel wing = gling swoop kaching

Well that's how I see it.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Recolored spheres of energy are undoubtedly my favorite. Everyone loves seeing Shadow Ball constantly, but you wouldn't think Aura Sphere would just be a blue version of Shadow Ball, or that Zap Cannon would merely add a few yellows to Aura Sphere, or that Energy Ball would simply throw some green dye into it, or that Weather Ball would add some tacky fiery effect, or that freaking Water Pulse would just take Aura Sphere and get rid of the transparency, but there you have it.

Beats recolored BEAM attack.

I guess I can see what you mean, though the way I see it, it makes sense.

Ball and sphere can't be anything but round, meaning that shadow/energy/weather ball and aura sphere would be round. Cannons shoot cannonBALLs, so zap cannon would shoot a zapping cannonball. The only one left is water pulse, which would probably be just a different water gun had it not been the blue ball, at least my guess.

But I don't remember many beams but hyper and solar. You'd think you'd get more, but I funnily enough can't think of many.

kamiyama takashi

cromartie high god
well hydro pump comes out as a strong and is dual but water gun is only a drop of water..
wing attack only charges at enemy w/o the shiny effects.....but steel wing has a shiny bg effect......

octoboy

I Crush Everything
well hydro pump comes out as a strong and is dual but water gun is only a drop of water..
wing attack only charges at enemy w/o the shiny effects.....but steel wing has a shiny bg effect......

Have you watched the show lately?

Since when has squirtle shot a drop of water for water gun? It's always a long jet of water. And hydro pump is only dual on blastoise. It's impossible to tell with everyone else.

Water gun only squirts a little drop in colosseum. The anime's never done this.

And have you seen staravia's wing attack? I think pidgeotto didn't shine, but staravia (and maybe taillow) does.

Actually watch the show before saying things like this.

Also, in response to what dagon said, some individual pokemon do the same attack differently. Corphish's bubblebeam has been shown to be a blue version of ember, and large bubbles depending on which episode it uses the attack. Sure, it's because of better animation, but it still nullifies that argument.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I don't think not knowing the attack is as annoying as the attacks being virtually the same attack with a different name. We can tell if it's hydro pump or water gun, but it doesn't really seem to matter, because they're both the same thing.

Torpoleon

Hydro pump has more power the water gun and more water and Steel wing is more metal like then Wing attack.

Profesco

gone gently
Now, both glow, because the animators are obsessed with making EVERYTHING glow. It is annoying. The most annoying thing is all that punching. Focus punch? Mega punch? What is it? We don't know, it's just a hand lighting up, and punching.

You've got that right. I am so sick of having everything the Pokemon does make some part of its body glow. I remember Snorlax once used Mega Kick. Snorla pulled his tiny foot all the way around behind him, did some twirly sort of movements, and then it was just a plain HUGE kick. That's the best example of an old attack animation being preferrable (and markedly different) to a newer one that I have.

Next thing you know, every Pokemon will be emitting bright golden rays of eye-hurting light and the ground will crumble beneath its feet when it uses Tackle. Yikes.

Yup, I remember when bubblebeam looked like ember except blue. Now it's CGI bubbles, so some things changed for the better.

How did it ever look like Ember? As far as I recall, Ember was always made of flames and Bubble was always, you know, bubbles. And I prefer the drawn bubbles to these new CGI bubbles, especially when Corphish's bubbles looked orange... D you remember the battle from the first movie, when Ash's Squirtle fought that Machamp? Best Bubble in the whole show, for me.