• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tentacool & Tentacruel! (019)

ZilverLox

Banned
I enjoyed seeing the giant Tentacruel and all the Tentacool destroy the city. I used to think Tentacruel was that gigantic until I found out why it was that big. And this episode got me so into Misty since at the time I was more interested on the female roles than the male, but I'm surprised that she's never caught a Tentacool seeing how much she likes them this would've been the perfect time to get one, but at least she got a Horsea. :)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
And this episode got me so into Misty since at the time I was more interested on the female roles than the male, but I'm surprised that she's never caught a Tentacool seeing how much she likes them this would've been the perfect time to get one, but at least she got a Horsea. :)

Sadly, I don't think Tentacool would've suited Misty's team since it looks kind of weird compared to Horsea lol. I bet that's the writer's gripe with it.

Alloutℯ

Banned
If Misty had caught Tentacool, I would've been happy. When we saw the town get attacked, I wondered why the police didn't help out more.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I remember feeling pity for the various Menokurage in this episode, then I remembered that they gave Tattu a black eye, which makes me pity them less now since they seemed like bullies themselves.

Nastina or Brutella or whichever evil lady we saw here made me sick to my stomach since she had no heart. And because Misty liked Tentacool so much, I thought that she would catch one in place of Horsea.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I just read that the English dub of this episode was banned in the United States for a few years after September 11, which now makes sense to me since I remember this episode being skipped during re-runs of the Kanto saga on Kids WB.

gentwoer

It makes sense the episode was pulled from rotation for a while given how many buildings were destroyed by the Tentacool and Tentracruel. What made less sense was Tower of Terror being banned just for its name.

The 90s sure loved its environmentalist messages that sh!t was everywhere in the 90s and clearly it wasn't just contained to Western television as this won't be the last Pokemon episode with a very on the nose environmental message.

Misty's capture of Horsea seemed to be an attempt to give Misty a more marketable Pokemon but Horsea pretty much does nothing ever again from here until she leaves it with her sisters in Cerulean. And I think the producers realized that when they gave her Psyduck.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
This episode is nice, better than I remembered. Pity Misty's Horsea never did anything. I think it only appeared in 8 more episodes and 4 side stories, that's it. :(

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Good episode. I liked Pikachu flying on Pidgeotto's back for the first time. Zubat carrying Squirtle made no sense, though. I also liked the fact Misty caught Horsea, too bad she never actually trained it. Nastina irked me, since destroying Tentacool/Tentacruel's habitat just to build a hotel was mean. Seeing Meowth get possessed was puzzling.
8/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
Zubat carrying Squirtle made no sense, though.

Visually it looked silly, although the cast only had three Flying-types at this point in Kanto, so Zubat was needed for that scene.

I didn't understand how Tentacool evolved into such a huge Tentacruel and even less about why the other Tentacool gave Horsea a black eye when she hadn't done anything to them. That old hag reminded me of Jessie if she was older and the city destruction scenes seemed too violent.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
and even less about why the other Tentacool gave Horsea a black eye when she hadn't done anything to them.

I might be remembering wrong, but I think he was attacked for venturing into the Menokurage's territory.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
That old hag reminded me of Jessie if she was older and the city destruction scenes seemed too violent.

Omg same, she even had the same attitude as Jessie down to the T. And speaking of terrible, I can't even decide who was worse out of the two old ladies from this episode and the 'Beauty and the Beach' one.

Leonhart

Imagineer
BTS_fan said:
And speaking of terrible, I can't even decide who was worse out of the two old ladies from this episode and the 'Beauty and the Beach' one.

Both of the Obaba were pretty much the same in terms of how greedy and cruel they were. Given that they were essentially the same as far as their motives and personalities were concerned, I do wonder why they couldn't have simply been the same character since that would've made a lot more sense than them being cousins with the same first name.

This felt like the kind of episode that you'd get for a season finale because of all the chaos and destruction. This didn't even feel like a regular Pokemon episode and I always hated Tentacool before seeing this one and my opinion of them soured even more than before after the episode was over. I didn't like how the message of this episode was an environmental lesson all though I liked how Misty ended up with a Horsea for her team even though it was weak. 5/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jnmisty said:
I also like the episode because it is mostly Misty that really took risky steps.

She did seem to take the lead here, which was a nice surprise. It was mostly because she always had an affinity for Water-types and she also seemed to find Menokurage appealing, although I'll never understand why she liked such a creepy-looking species even if it was a Water-type.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jnmisty said:
Yeah plus she is the only one in the group was really against Nastina’s plans to get rid of Tentacool.

That's a good point as well. I felt that it was rather odd how Satoshi and Takeshi seemed less bothered by the plans to eradicate the swarm of Menokurage than Kasumi, especially considering how much Satoshi usually cares about all Pokemon in general.