• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Termination of Generation IV and Generation V Wi-Fi Services on May 20th: Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailorSketch

Pixel Mage
I guess it was inevitable, I just didn't expect it so soon. I never really utilized the wifi services that much, so it doesn't effect me that much.

I guess it was inevitable, I just didn't expect it so soon. I never really utilized the wifi services that much, so it doesn't effect me that much.
Again, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut off the generations below the fourth, but fifth? Some people are still getting into it.

At least it won't be till this summer... But still...

Mr.FusRoDah

I don't have Wi-Fi at my house, so to borrow Wi-Fi, I either have to walk 40 minutes through some woods known to have the occasional black bear in them (Haven't seen one, but definitely have seen their paw prints in the mud, plus I was almost snake bit by a copperhead there, and almost walked into a raccoon in the dark once), find a way to my friend James' house (He has a new gf and is usually pre-occupied with her), or just go over to my gf's house, all of which would be easy if it wasn't for the fact my truck is out of commission and I have to walk about an hour or so to get to his house and an hour and twenty minutes to get to her's unless someone wants to give me a ride. But when I could trade, I traded like there was no tomorrow, because I didn't always know when the next chance to trade was.

I knew it was to happen one day as well, just not Gen IV and V at the same time. It just doesn't seem all that fair that Gen V's connectivity has to die at the same time as Gen IV. I guess it's time to transfer up more and more.

Again, it's not till this Summer. Still gives us time to... I dunno... Wrap up?

Mr.FusRoDah

This makes me glad I got my MYSTRY Mew in that trade last year before it was too late.

Earendil

I honestly feel crushed. I usually get bored of playing games that just came out, and go back to old ones, starting them over, eventually returning to the new ones like X and Y.
Knowing that I can no longer do that in things like Mystery Dungeon really hurts... It does.
I understand cutting off anything Generation Four and under... But Gen. 5? Like, with Dream World, when to really get the most of the game you HAVE to use online connections? It's outrageous.
Anyone feel me...?

Please know that I feel much the same way you do. Various and sundry Wi-Fi functions are so integrated into the very fabric of the Pokemon games now that they will really lose something when access to these features is cut off. The Dream World was one thing--so long, Berries!--but there are far too many aspects to the game that will lose an important part of themselves in a few months' time. For example, the closure of the Dream World spelled a death knell for Berries as they related to the original Black and White, but the one saving grace of Black 2 and White 2 in that respect--the Berry Shops in Join Avenue--will be crippled without access to a steady stream of point-raising visitors. That's not the only thing, either; everything from simple trading to Battle Subway features will be affected.

If my Pokewalker's batteries weren't dead and I wasn't broke, I would be gathering Bullet Punch Machops right now for breeding purposes. I must say whatever parts of Johto, Kanto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and other unmentioned places these routes take place must have some very unusual yet beneficial effect on the gene pool of some of those Pokémon. Ice Punch Psyduck, Surfing and Flying Pikachus, and the inhabitants of the Winner's Path are prime examples of the benefits I speak of. It seems like you and I are both fans of the exclusives the Pokewalker presents. It's a shame they didn't release the other route map events here in the US. That would have been awesome.

That's a very interesting way of looking at it. When viewed from that "angle" (if that's the correct word to use), one could infer that they the environment of the Pokewalker courses must be a lot harsher than that of the Pokemon you regularly encounter on your journey, in that generally speaking, the Pokewalker Pokemon have much stronger and more favorable moves/ movesets. And yes, I believe we are of a similar bent in that respect. I've spent more than my fair share of time progressing through the various available courses, and I've always gotten the impression that the Pokewalker is one of the games' more impressive independently operated add-ons. I, too, would have loved to have seen what are now the Japan-exclusive courses released here as well. One must ask, why bother including them in the coding of the games if they were never destined to see the light of day?

Again, it's not till this Summer. Still gives us time to... I dunno... Wrap up?

Unfortunately, it's not really that simple most of the time. Granted, you can do things like enjoy a Wi-Fi battle just to see what it's like. However, to never be able to really build up a great Join Avenue, do a cross-generation trade, collect event Pokemon in the generation they were originally available in, use the GTS anymore... it's all quite the letdown. At least from my perspective, trading and battling with other people are what keeps the Pokemon games fresh. To take that away from players limits us to only trading with ourselves (and even then, only if one has two compatible systems). Put another way, there's a difference between it actually being possible to get all you need from something--such as in the case of DWF Pokemon and Berries from the Dream World--and it being there for when you need to utilize it (like a car).

Last edited:
That's a very interesting way of looking at it. When viewed from that "angle" (if that's the correct word to use), one could infer that they the environment of the Pokewalker courses must be a lot harsher than that of the Pokemon you regularly encounter on your journey, in that generally speaking, the Pokewalker Pokemon have much stronger and more favorable moves/ movesets. And yes, I believe we are of a similar bent in that respect. I've spent more than my fair share of time progressing through the various available courses, and I've always gotten the impression that the Pokewalker is one of the games' more impressive independently operated add-ons. I, too, would have loved to have seen what are now the Japan-exclusive courses released here as well. One must ask, why bother including them in the coding of the games if they were never destined to see the light of day?
Answer: Money

bushie

it is disappointing because pokemon X/Y is the only 6 gen game we have right now. while the ds we have around 9[i'm talking versions].i expected this but i think its too early should've waited another year.

Mega Missingno

well fawk, that's....fawk. Fawk. So this means I can no longer trade pokemon between gen 4 and 5 on my DS to gen 6 on 3DS?
You'd think they'd been gen 5 wifi around a little longer, at least. (btw, anyone got an iceberg key they wanna trade?)

Earendil

it is disappointing because pokemon X/Y is the only 6 gen game we have right now. while the ds we have around 9[i'm talking versions].i expected this but i think its too early should've waited another year.

I agree with you. Especially relevant to this situation is the fact that there are still tasks and Pokemon which can only be done or obtained in Generation V (move-tutoring and perhaps certain DWF Pokemon come to mind). Thus, these will newly have to be dealt with or acquired on one's own.

Once the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection goes down, version-exclusive Pokemon will also become completely unobtainable for individuals without access to multiple cartridges and a second DS system (seeing as local play is not nearly so active as online play, at least as far as Pokemon is concerned).

Last edited:

Tavoc

Please call me Tad!
It's a bit of an inconvenience but I can see why it's happening.

I'm still really peeved about dream world going down because atleast you got Pokemon from it. The new one you dont really....get anything worthwhile. Oh wow a coupon to make clothes ~cheaper~! bah. But I haven't invested much time in it so I could be INCREDIBLY wrong. Feel free to inform me of any good uses it has. :v

Anyways I'm getting off topic. TBH My relationship with the DS Lite's wifi has never been a good one, so I'm not going to really miss the old services too much. The wii's a different story though :U I'm gonna miss the hell out of Brawl (even if the online was atrocious LOL)

Honestly, what's the worst thing that would happen if they kept it online?

Also, good thing I decided to keep all my Pokémon that I used to complete the Pokédex.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Well I definitely want to continue using my Gen V games for nuzlockes...but other than that I never liked some of the wi-fi features. Join Avenue is great, but I already completed it to the best of my abilities. The GTS in Gens IV and V are horrendous with all those dumb cry babies requesting legendaries for common pokemon like bidoof or patrat (which game freak still hasn't completely stopped, and has sortof worsened with messages all over the GTS as to why these trades are "fair")

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
I find it funny that when Nintendo said 'No more WiFi features on DS and Wii games', people heard 'If you play a DS or Wii game from now on we'll send a SWAT team after you.'

chrischameleon

What about My Pokémon Ranch? I just started going through the gen 3 to gen 6 pokemon games, one at a time, and I wanted to get a mew or two from the ranch. What will happen to it, does anyone know?

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
What about My Pokémon Ranch? I just started going through the gen 3 to gen 6 pokemon games, one at a time, and I wanted to get a mew or two from the ranch. What will happen to it, does anyone know?

No more Wi-Fi to pokemon ranch, so I guess the game will be obsolete : /

Earendil

No more Wi-Fi to pokemon ranch, so I guess the game will be obsolete : /

It think it depends, does the DS use local wireless or Nintendo Wi-Fi connection to upload Pokemon to the Wii/ My Pokemon Ranch? And are the Pokemon stored online, or on the Wii's memory card? I don't have the game myself, so I'm not sure to what extent it will be affected.

workintime

Catch a few!
It seems like this has been slightly addressed, but I'm still not totally clear on the situation... (and by that I mean, I'm really dense so please spell this out for me)

So this takes all of the online items and will remove them in May. I have recently received HG, SS, and Black2. My husband and I have 3DSes. We were intending on both playing HG/SS, then getting those pokemon into Black2, then putting those into the pokebank.

Someone mentioned already that, with poke-transfer, Black2 will be fine since the app is 3DS based. This shut-down, however, will not affect the ability for my husband and I to locally transfer HG/SS pokemon into Black2, correct?

Again, sorry for asking what probably is a straightforward question, but since this news is new I haven't seen a clear description, and I haven' t done any transferring/setup yet between games.

Status
Not open for further replies.