• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Termination of Generation IV and Generation V Wi-Fi Services on May 20th: Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.FusRoDah

No more Wi-Fi to pokemon ranch, so I guess the game will be obsolete : /

Not quite. Sure, u won't be able to visit other people's ranches, but you can still harvest Hayley's trades and get the Mew.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Not quite. Sure, u won't be able to visit other people's ranches, but you can still harvest Hayley's trades and get the Mew.

Oh, well that's nice for them then : D

You don't need Wi-Fi to transfer from 3rd gen to 6th gen, do you? Because, I'm pretty sure you don't, but some of the comments here tell me otherwise.

Earendil

It seems like this has been slightly addressed, but I'm still not totally clear on the situation... (and by that I mean, I'm really dense so please spell this out for me)

So this takes all of the online items and will remove them in May. I have recently received HG, SS, and Black2. My husband and I have 3DSes. We were intending on both playing HG/SS, then getting those pokemon into Black2, then putting those into the pokebank.

Someone mentioned already that, with poke-transfer, Black2 will be fine since the app is 3DS based. This shut-down, however, will not affect the ability for my husband and I to locally transfer HG/SS pokemon into Black2, correct?

Again, sorry for asking what probably is a straightforward question, but since this news is new I haven't seen a clear description, and I haven' t done any transferring/setup yet between games.

You'll still be able to trade or transfer Pokemon between all Generation IV and V games using local wireless, but you won't be able to go online with them anymore. Pokemon Bank will still work/ be compatible with Black, White, Black 2, and White 2. Does this help?

Oh, well that's nice for them then : D

You don't need Wi-Fi to transfer from 3rd gen to 6th gen, do you? Because, I'm pretty sure you don't, but some of the comments here tell me otherwise.

To a certain extent, as long as you do it yourself, you'll be fine. If you don't have access to two DS systems, though, you'll hit a snag halfway through. You won't be able to trade Pokemon to someone online and have said individual transfer them from Generation IV to Generation V for you (a thread for which actually exists on these forums). If you need to move them from Generation V to Generation VI, you can just do that using a 3DS and Pokemon Bank. Does this help to clarify the situation?

Last edited:

workintime

Catch a few!
You'll still be able to trade or transfer Pokemon between all Generation IV and V games using local wireless, but you won't be able to go online with them anymore. Pokemon Bank will still work/ be compatible with Black, White, Black 2, and White 2. Does this help?

That's exactly what I needed. It's what I assumed, but I wanted to be totally positive. I appreciate your help, Earendil.

Earendil

That's exactly what I needed. It's what I assumed, but I wanted to be totally positive. I appreciate your help, Earendil.

Sure, no problem; I'm happy I was able to help clarify the situation for you.

Oh, and I'm not sure if it's applicable to you, but please bear in mind you need the following hardware to conduct transfers between Generations III and IV, IV and V, and V and VI. The middle stage is where people without access to a second DS will no longer be able to shift Pokemon forward after May 20th (as they will no longer be able to find someone online to do it for them).

Generation III (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen) and Generation IV (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver): Either the original DS or a DS Lite. The Game Boy Advance port was removed from subsequent models, meaning there would be nowhere to insert the older game.

Generation IV and Generation V (Black, White, Black 2, and White 2): Two DS systems (DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL).

Generation V and Generation VI (X and Y): Just a 3DS. By virtue of its existence, Pokemon Bank supersedes the older need for two systems. You can also use Pokemon Bank to indirectly trade between X and Y (as I believe it is tied to your console itself and not any one game in particular).

Last edited:

Lord Fighting

Bank Ball Collector
This is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. I never even considered that they would just terminate Gen IV + V WiFi. There is really no need. They're making enough money already ffs. Shutting off WiFi just so that they can force everyone into buying a 3/2 DS and X/Y is just plain greedy.
WiFi was an huge part of those games. Nintendo should want fans to play all Gen's, not just Gen 6. There is still a community for Gen 4/5 players and I use WiFi alot and always have done. I still make trades in gen 5 and HG is my favourite pokemon game so never being able to do a online trade or use gts again which massively helped me complete the national dex on it is sad :(

Last edited:

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Eh, it was inevitable really.

This is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. I never even considered that they would just terminate Gen IV + V WiFi. There is really no need. They're making enough money already ffs. Shutting off WiFi just so that they can force everyone into buying a 3/2 DS and X/Y is just plain greedy.
WiFi was an huge part of those games. Nintendo should want fans to play all Gen's, not just Gen 6. There is still a community for Gen 4/5 players and I use WiFi alot and always have done. I still make trades in gen 5 and HG is my favourite pokemon game so never being able to do a online trade or use gts again which massively helped me complete the national dex on it is sad :(

Screw you Nintendo/ GF you filthy, greedy, money grabbing ba****s!
What would you do in their position, though?
We all keep bashing them, but really, it's a good move.
Is it fair? Hardly. But closing things that are pulling away money will eventually open up doors for bigger and better things.
*cough* Gen III remake, anyone? *cough*

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan

Screw you Nintendo/ GF you filthy, greedy, money grabbing ba****s!

I completely agree.

Now back to topic.

I rarely use wifis myself, as I do most of my battles on a program I'm sure I'm not allowed to talk about here on this message board.

Doesn't change the fact that shutting down wifi for players of Gen IV and Gen V games is a horrible thing to do.

Yeah, they are greedy there is no denying that.

ebevan91

I hope they're at least going to make up for this **** by doing events for older gen Pokemon like Mew, Jirachi, Shaymin, etc.

I hope they're at least going to make up for this **** by doing events for older gen Pokemon like Mew, Jirachi, Shaymin, etc.
Ehh. We're almost overdue to have an event. Haven't got a decent one in a good while.
Just give them a few.
Technically, Celebi from the Poke Bank could be counted as one...
Even though I claimed it, and can't figure out how to receive it...

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Well, they kind of have to, eventually, and they have already done a Celebi one.

Ehh. We're almost overdue to have an event. Haven't got a decent one in a good while.
Just give them a few.
Technically, Celebi from the Poke Bank could be counted as one...
Even though I claimed it, and can't figure out how to receive it...

Use the green Pokémon Link button on the starting menu (that is, the menu that appears right after the opening cinematic and has, like, your save file and the Mystery Gift option and stuff).

Last edited:

workintime

Catch a few!
Oh, and I'm not sure if it's applicable to you, but please bear in mind you need the following hardware to conduct transfers between Generations...

Generation IV and Generation V (Black, White, Black 2, and White 2): Two DS systems (DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL).

Well this may be a problem then. This is the primary thing I was going to try to do. I have one old DS Lite (not really used), my husband has a 3DS XL, and I have a 3DS XL. We were intending to use both 3DS systems to get pokemon from HG/SS into Black2.

It sounds like this will not work?

ebevan91

Well, they kind of have to, eventually, and they have already done a Celebi one.

Use the green Pokémon Link button on the starting menu (that is, the menu that appears right after the opening cinematic and has, like, your save file and the Mystery Gift option and stuff).

And good luck to him/her on getting the right natures/IVs, as you can't soft reset for it.

Use the green Pokémon Link button on the main menu (that is, the menu that appears right after the opening cinematic and has, like, your save file and the Mystery Gift option and stuff).

Maybe already did that... Didn't appear, if I recall...
Well, we can cross out Mew. Mew itself is said to be an extremely rare event, so that one time in Gen. 4 will probably be the only for a good while.
Shaynim hasn't been given out in a while, has it?
Hmm...

And good luck to him/her on getting the right natures/IVs, as you can't soft reset for it.
Him. I am a male.

And what?! It's a one time thing?! I'm stuck on the first try?! Great. Just great.
I've tried using an app called Poke Build, it's like PokeSav which... I don't know how to use...

The builders don't know what they're doing clearly, as I can't get a single on of their Pokemon thru PokeBank...
I just wanna competitive battle...

Last edited:
I never had compatible wifi for my ds and my pokewalker batteries died a long time ago so this doesn't really effect me much, though I was still really surprised at the news

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Maybe already did that... Didn't appear, if I recall...
Well, we can cross out Mew. Mew itself is said to be an extremely rare event, so that one time in Gen. 4 will probably be the only for a good while.
Shaynim hasn't been given out in a while, has it?
Hmm...

That's strange. Have you actually claimed the Celebi? I know that the first time you use Bank, you get PokéMiles/Battle Points, and if you use the Link right after, you just get those until you go back into the Bank and claim the Celebi. After that, you should just be able to do the Pokémon Link again and have the Celebi appear in your PC.

The last Shaymin event was in 2011, and the last Mew event was in 2010. I could actually see them doing a Mew one, though, what with Mewtwo being a big thing again.

Earendil

What would you do in their position, though?
We all keep bashing them, but really, it's a good move.
Is it fair? Hardly. But closing things that are pulling away money will eventually open up doors for bigger and better things.
*cough* Gen III remake, anyone? *cough*

With regard to peoples' opinions about the impending shutdown, I think the current stance is also partly resultant from the actual effects this will have on gameplay. The Pokemon games have always been keenly oriented around connection and interaction between players--first locally, then, with the advent of Wi-Fi, all around the world--and it's a lot less fun to trade (or, in some cases, battle) with yourself. Granted, we do have Generation VI now, but the older titles do have their merits; unfortunately, the upcoming lack of Wi-Fi support will greatly limit the extent to which one can connect with other players in those games.

Well this may be a problem then. This is the primary thing I was going to try to do. I have one old DS Lite (not really used), my husband has a 3DS XL, and I have a 3DS XL. We were intending to use both 3DS systems to get pokemon from HG/SS into Black2.

It sounds like this will not work?

I'm actually not sure; you'd have to try it to find out. The 3DS systems can certainly communicate with each other, as can the games themselves, but I'm not sure if the two will work together (as the hardware involved will be different than if you plugged the games into an older DS system). I regret that I only have one 3DS system myself, else I'd attempt to conduct a transfer myself and let you know of the results.

The last Shaymin event was in 2011, and the last Mew event was in 2010. I could actually see them doing a Mew one, though, what with Mewtwo being a big thing again.

That would definitely be cool if they sped up the pace of event distributions somewhat. It's been a while since there was a non-Japanese Jirachi distribution as well (2010 too, I believe). Discounting Pokemon Ranger--as that line of games seems to be somewhat less popular than the main series--the last Manaphy event was in what, 2007? That probably beats out the others by a few years.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I never got access to Gen IV Wifi because of not being able to find my WEP Key and Gen V lost it's huge online uses after it's PGL shutted down (GTS is clogged and everyone moved to the XY Battle Spot). Plus I never cared for the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games while being bored with the Ranger installments too.

I'm pretty OK with this.

Don't remind me of my Timid Celebi with a 0 Sp Attack IV...

Gahh... I have my Friend Code around here somewhere...
Anyone... Want it...?
Or to trade or... Whatever?

Status
Not open for further replies.