• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Termination of Generation IV and Generation V Wi-Fi Services on May 20th: Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrantrum

Huh, so this essentially kills whatever remaining metagame was left in Gen 4 and 5 in its competitive scene.

Earendil

I recall the time I first read about the D/P GTS cloning glitch in a GameFAQs guide. (This guide, in fact.) I thought it was really interesting that one of the frequently asked questions was, "Can Nintendo fix this glitch because it involves the internet?" Presumably, lots of people wondered this, whether because they hated the cloning glitch, or didn't want it spontaneously disappearing.

I guess one way to eliminate a GTS cloning glitch is...to eliminate the GTS.

End of an era. Hmm...wonder if there's anything in the Gen IV that I need to clone.

I can't say I ever tried it myself (I never beat Diamond or Pearl; I only played through Platinum), although I did know people that were quite adept at utilizing the glitch. While I certainly can't argue with the premise of the pending shutdown, I disagree with the act itself, as the GTS is a very significant feature of the trading scene of the older games (and the newer ones as well). Somehow, if something could have been retained, it ought to have been that; it seems that, like you, many of the people who have commented in this thread had their own personal uses for it.

There is actually one other in-game cloning method that I (accidentally) stumbled across one day, although it, too, requires Wi-Fi. I was conducting a Wi-Fi trade with a member of these forums when one of our connections cut out, and the trade subsequently failed. When our games reloaded, both he and I had a copy of his original Pokemon in our parties, but the one I had sent over to him in exchange for it simply disappeared.

Truthfully, though, what I'll miss most about the GTS is its inherent usefulness as far as the Pokedex completion project is concerned. So far as you find a way around the annoying "you have to see it in order to ask for it" issue, it's really quite invaluable--mainly in that it saves a whole lot of inter-game breeding and/ or trading on one's own part.

Huh, so this essentially kills whatever remaining metagame was left in Gen 4 and 5 in its competitive scene.

That's the unfortunately reality of this news. I can't really see Generation 4 and 5 inter-player interaction going local, so take away trading and battling, and you essentially strip away the main reasons some people continue to play the older games.

Last edited:

Senrab

Whenever a new game comes I trade all my Pokemon to the new one and almost completely abandon the older game, so this doesn't really bother me. I didn't really use any of the online stuff on any other DS/Wii games wither anyway. It's too bad for the people that don't have a 3DS or a Wii U, though. :/

bushie

i was really hoping to troll the 5th gen gts. i mean i got a shiny kyurem and manaphy off of there.

digitalatlas

Excuse me, but does anyone know if you'll still be able to trade between games if you have two DS consoles? Or be able to move Gen IV Pokemon to Gen V and Gen V to Pokemon Bank? Please provide sources if you have them. Thank you.

BCVM22

Excuse me, but does anyone know if you'll still be able to trade between games if you have two DS consoles? Or be able to move Gen IV Pokemon to Gen V and Gen V to Pokemon Bank?

Neither of these will be affected, as has been asked previously. The first two don't use Wi-Fi and the third uses the servers that were specifically created for Bank/Transporter.

MileniaKitsune

Tropical Trickster
I have some concerns:

In HG/SS: The Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza event is still accessible if I have two DSs? & The Pokewalker, my brother never used his & I was thinking on using to get as much maps as possible before May20, will it work with my game even though I already have mine on/being used? Another thing, if I restart the games, will the Pokewalker reset too? And for events like the Celebi/forest one, will it work with a legit event Celebi (I would trade it back to myself if I restart the game).

I was just planning to restart HG/SS but after seeing this, I'm concerned I will lose important things (even though I have two DSs), especially with Pokewalker because I think I remember some maps being exclusive wifi events. I'm fine on the other games (DPP/BW), HG/SS are my main concern. I guess I'm safe if I have two DSs but I thought I'd ask just to make sure.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I have some concerns:

In HG/SS: The Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza event is still accessible if I have two DSs?
Yes, it is not programmed as an elusive event.
Another thing, if I restart the games, will the Pokewalker reset too?
I believe it would, since the Pokemon correlates with the game, and the events are obtained there.
And for events like the Celebi/forest one, will it work with a legit event Celebi (I would trade it back to myself if I restart the game).
I believe that it would still work.

MileniaKitsune

Tropical Trickster
Yes, it is not programmed as an elusive event.

I believe it would, since the Pokemon correlates with the game, and the events are obtained there.

I believe that it would still work.

Alright, so the only thing preventing me from restarting is the Pokewalker, I remember the pikachu map was an event thing & a few others (like victors pass or something like that).

Earendil

I have some concerns:

In HG/SS: The Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza event is still accessible if I have two DSs? & The Pokewalker, my brother never used his & I was thinking on using to get as much maps as possible before May20, will it work with my game even though I already have mine on/being used? Another thing, if I restart the games, will the Pokewalker reset too? And for events like the Celebi/forest one, will it work with a legit event Celebi (I would trade it back to myself if I restart the game).

I was just planning to restart HG/SS but after seeing this, I'm concerned I will lose important things (even though I have two DSs), especially with Pokewalker because I think I remember some maps being exclusive wifi events. I'm fine on the other games (DPP/BW), HG/SS are my main concern. I guess I'm safe if I have two DSs but I thought I'd ask just to make sure.

The Pokewalker will indeed reset completely; the only way you can keep the event-exclusive maps is if you lose your original Pokewalker and have to sync a new one with your game (as happened to me). As with all events for the older games, the two Pokewalker ones--Yellow Forest and Winner's Path--are unfortunately long past, so you'd have no way of getting ahold of them again. With Night Sky's Edge, though, any Jirachi will unlock it.

randomspot555

The Pokewalker has nothing to do with Wi-Fi for DS games shutting down. Even if you re-booted your HGSS game right now, you'd never be able to get the Wi-Fi courses because those distributions ended ages ago.

Earendil

The Pokewalker has nothing to do with Wi-Fi for DS games shutting down. Even if you re-booted your HGSS game right now, you'd never be able to get the Wi-Fi courses because those distributions ended ages ago.

I think the individual was just asking because he/ she was thinking about restarting their save file to get some stuff done before the Wi-Fi goes down for the older games, and wanted to know if such an action would affect their existing selection of Pokewalker courses.

MileniaKitsune

Tropical Trickster
I think the individual was just asking because he/ she was thinking about restarting their save file to get some stuff done before the Wi-Fi goes down for the older games, and wanted to know if such an action would affect their existing selection of Pokewalker courses.

Yes this is what I meant. I decided not to restart it so I don't lose Yellow Forest & Winner's Path. But its good to know the Pokewalker syncs with your game because mine's battery died just yesterday.

I'm also getting Pokemon Conquest before 20/5/2014 (even if the wifi stuff doesn't work for it anymore) I just couldn't get it until now.

Arvis

I'm disappointed , but I'm honestly not surprised. The servers have been going for a long time now. Its only logical that they would shut them down.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Is it just Wi-Fi battling and trading, or are they also removing transferring from Gen3 to Gen 4, and Gen 4 to Gen 5?

It only affects features that used NWFC.

You can still transfer between older generations, because that didn't involve connecting to the Internet.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I am sad to see it go, but I guess Nintendo don't want to spend money keeping those servers open, which is understandable. Besides, we can trade in the new games, so there isn't too much of a problem.

Earendil

Yes this is what I meant. I decided not to restart it so I don't lose Yellow Forest & Winner's Path. But its good to know the Pokewalker syncs with your game because mine's battery died just yesterday.

That's probably a good course of action to take. Granted, you'll need to keep all of the items (as well as the Surfing and Flying Pikachu) you obtain from the courses in Generation 4, but they're still quite useful in the context of the older games. My favorites were always the infinite Choice items and Leftovers. And I believe when the Pokewalker's battery dies, you'll lose any route-caught/ obtained Pokemon and/ or items stored on the device before it shut off, but your partner Pokemon will still be there. The courses themselves are actually stored on your game cartridge/ save file, so nothing will happen to them unless you delete said save file. I've had my battery die twice in the past, and have never had a problem, so you don't have anything to worry about.

Is it just Wi-Fi battling and trading, or are they also removing transferring from Gen3 to Gen 4, and Gen 4 to Gen 5?

The only way in which transferring will be affected is if you need/ would have needed to recruit outside help to shift Pokemon from Generation 4 to Generation 5 (such as if you only have one DS system). After the shutdown, you can also borrow someone's DS, but some people do not have that capability.

I am sad to see it go, but I guess Nintendo don't want to spend money keeping those servers open, which is understandable.

I only wish more Pokemon were made available in-game in a lot of the titles. As it stands, following the shutdown, those who will keep playing the older games are going to (realistically) have to do a LOT of self-trading to do things like complete the Pokedex or obtain certain game-specific favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.