• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Termination of Generation IV and Generation V Wi-Fi Services on May 20th: Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earendil

Hmmmmmmmm...
I guess this means that I'll have to acquire all event exclusive pokemon asap!

It would definitely be a good idea! Please also refer to the first post in this thread, which has a list of those Pokemon needed to unlock special in-game events (which, if you're just now accumulating things for Generation 4 and 5 titles, are necessary to trade for).

So we won't be able to use the poketransfer/pokebank for gen 5 games after May 20?
This is my biggest concern, because I literally just got Pokemon White 2 today mostly so I transfer my 4th gen pokemon to my x game!

BCVM22

Poké Transfer is local wireless, which is unaffected. Bank is unaffected because it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to cut off a service like that after three months.

None of the localized means of transferring Pokémon between two games on two systems in the same room - of the same generation or of different generations - will be affected.

Poké Transfer is local wireless, which is unaffected. Bank is unaffected because it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to cut off a service like that after three months.

None of the localized means of transferring Pokémon between two games on two systems in the same room - of the same generation or of different generations - will be affected.
Thank you, that's really a great relief for me!

J Ken

RAVE
I understand Gen IV's Wi-Fi getting terminated but I think it's kinda unfair how Gen V's Wi-Fi is getting cut off so fast after it just ended. I mean I know it's in the past but the games themselves still have a lot too offer and they won't be as fun without the Wi-Fi aspects. Plus I'm still on Black 2 and no way am I finishing it in 1 month.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
I understand Gen IV's Wi-Fi getting terminated but I think it's kinda unfair how Gen V's Wi-Fi is getting cut off so fast after it just ended. I mean I know it's in the past but the games themselves still have a lot too offer and they won't be as fun without the Wi-Fi aspects. Plus I'm still on Black 2 and no way am I finishing it in 1 month.

It's not something they can pick and choose.

The company that hosted and ran the Nintendo WiFi Connection is packing in all their services at the end of May. Countless games are being affected by this, not just Nintendo DS & Wii games.

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
Is it me or I see lots of people in GTS asking for in game event Pokemon? Now how I gonna get normal legendaries?

Ah I know Nintendo is trying to cut cost and 'force' people to buy their current products to earn profit, but...I really like GTS and random battling for 5th gen. They are so neat to me. GTS in 6th gen is messy (I don't want to keep scrolling for offers) and there is no BP reward for winning someone in random battling. Also I don't like the fact people are spamming Dark Void in battle, that means I have limited pool of Pokemon to counter this dreaded move.

There is Pokecheck, if that's allowed. though, you can still trade local after wifi is shut down right? I heard Nintendo is shutting down the wifi connection due to Gamespy being bought by some corporation who work on mobile games.

Earendil

I heard Nintendo is shutting down the wifi connection due to Gamespy being bought by some corporation who work on mobile games.

That's essentially what happened; Gamespy was purchased by a company called Glu Mobile back in 2012. As with a lot of takeovers/ buyouts, I would imagine the new owners sketched out a fresh "game plan" for Gamespy and its infrastructure that they're now beginning to more permanently transition into.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
That's essentially what happened; Gamespy was purchased by a company called Glu Mobile back in 2012. As with a lot of takeovers/ buyouts, I would imagine the new owners sketched out a fresh "game plan" for Gamespy and its infrastructure that they're now beginning to more permanently transition into.

And I think they had to give an Announcement, this time.

Last time it was a different matter, GameSpy code was used to run the online Component part of PC versions of Crysis 1, Borderlands 1, and Dungeon Defenders (as alternative to Steam). Some of those may still work for until the May 20 Cut off, but I sure. In December '12, they just shut down Several Severs for games like Sniper Elite, with no warning.. Nothing that the Devs could do about it, as they found out the morning after: http://sniperelitev2.com/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=2062

Do you know how old Dungeon Defenders was when Gamespy was pulled? Just over a year old, the last DLC was only 6 weeks old. Actually DD last DLC was in June 2013.. 6 months AFTER the Gamespy dropped support. (That DLC was supposed to be a "hold over" for Delayed Sequel which was due in 2013.. (but they had to rebuild the game after May 2013.)

I know that some games on other consoles can no longer be played online.. Some of them did use a Gamespy back end too.

Takeshii

Well, damn.

I just got into Pokemon again after playing Gold in 2001.

Purchased a 3DSXL and Pokemon Y a week or so ago, and have been playing it ever since. However, the lack of legendaries and my interest in playing the other games got me to order used copies of Diamond and White 2.

A few questions:
I can transfer PMs to Y from B&W and B2&W2 without a second DS using Pokebank?
I can transfer PMs from Diamond, Pearl and Platinum using a second DS? How about HeartGold and Soul Silver?

I got Diamond for $15 so threw that in too with my W2 order for $26,6. I can't find a good deal on those Gen2 remakes though. =( I would also like to play Gen1 again, but then I'd have to find a GBA. And I wouldn't be able to use those Pokemons in Y even with a second DS?

I'm guessing there is no way to get Pokemon from games like FireRed & LeafGreen and Ruby & Sapphire after the 20th May?

I have another question; what games do I need to play to get an up-to-speed experience with Pokemon? Is Platinum worth playing? Well, seems to be double as many legendaries.

Listen, I got a lot of questions, I know. But an honest thanks to anyone who would like to clear it up for me properly. Thanks very much.

Last edited:

BCVM22

I can transfer PMs to Y from B&W and B2&W2 without a second DS using Pokebank?

Yes.

http://www.serebii.net/xy/poketransporter.shtml

I can transfer PMs from Diamond, Pearl and Platinum using a second DS? How about HeartGold and Soul Silver?

Yes, to a Generation V title first.

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/poketransfer.shtml

And I wouldn't be able to use those Pokemons in Y even with a second DS?

The compatibility chain ends after Generation II.

I'm guessing there is no way to get Pokemon from games like FireRed & LeafGreen and Ruby & Sapphire after the 20th May?

None of the methods of sending Pokémon ahead a generation are affected by the service shutdown.

Earendil

And I think they had to give an Announcement, this time.

Last time it was a different matter, GameSpy code was used to run the online Component part of PC versions of Crysis 1, Borderlands 1, and Dungeon Defenders (as alternative to Steam). Some of those may still work for until the May 20 Cut off, but I sure. In December '12, they just shut down Several Severs for games like Sniper Elite, with no warning.. Nothing that the Devs could do about it, as they found out the morning after: http://sniperelitev2.com/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=2062

Do you know how old Dungeon Defenders was when Gamespy was pulled? Just over a year old, the last DLC was only 6 weeks old. Actually DD last DLC was in June 2013.. 6 months AFTER the Gamespy dropped support. (That DLC was supposed to be a "hold over" for Delayed Sequel which was due in 2013.. (but they had to rebuild the game after May 2013.)

I know that some games on other consoles can no longer be played online.. Some of them did use a Gamespy back end too.

The odd thing about the shutdown is that as far as I've been able to tell, its connection to the buyout of Gamespy was only discovered later, after a few inquisitive people conducted some research on the matter. Thus, as far as the Pokemon franchise is concerned, I would have to agree with those individuals who have suggested Nintendo is simply using this as a convenient opportunity to transition everything over to Generation 6. If both sets of information had come out at the same time, the popular reaction to the announcement might very well have been a lot more muted (as I doubt the average player--up till a few weeks ago, myself included--was aware Nintendo outsourced the older DS wireless services). There's certainly a big difference between keeping existing services open, versus having to create new ones (as would be the case if Nintendo took over the affected Wi-Fi services itself).

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
The odd thing about the shutdown is that as far as I've been able to tell, its connection to the buyout of Gamespy was only discovered later, after a few inquisitive people conducted some research on the matter. Thus, as far as the Pokemon franchise is concerned, I would have to agree with those individuals who have suggested Nintendo is simply using this as a convenient opportunity to transition everything over to Generation 6. If both sets of information had come out at the same time, the popular reaction to the announcement might very well have been a lot more muted (as I doubt the average player--up till a few weeks ago, myself included--was aware Nintendo outsourced the older DS wireless services). There's certainly a big difference between keeping existing services open, versus having to create new ones (as would be the case if Nintendo took over the affected Wi-Fi services itself).

Well, Publicly, Gamespy had suggested that they had plans to discontinue it a over a year ago. They stopped letting new games use the Gamespy Tech. I'm not talking about a few PC games. Several games are also losing Multiplayer on Consoles due to Gamespy Tech being turned off. You have about a month to play Borderlands 1 on the PS3 before you loose access to the online component. The PC version will get a Patch "Soon". Several older big name games on the consoles are run Gamespy middleware.

Nintendo has it the worst, all their games use it. While some games on 360 and PS3 have patches in the works or out already, I think it is very hard to patch games, if possible at all, on the DS or Wii.

That link above said that Rebellion had an option to turn servers back on, for a price. Given that Nintendo's moved on to the Wii U and 3DS, I doubt that they will spend larger chunks of money to Glu to keep old Tech running. The investors won't like it, as Nintendo are no longer selling games that require that Middleware. In otherwords, they aren't going to see money from it.

Mr. Pokéfos

RIP gen 5 GTS, Black & White 2 haven't even been out for 2 years yet and the biggest incentive for anyone to play those ones instead of X & Y will be gone by the middle of this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.