• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Termination of Generation IV and Generation V Wi-Fi Services on May 20th: Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main cause of this termination is because a separate company managed the servers, and Nintendo was paying them to handle it. This company had to be shut down, and creating servers for past systems wouldn't net in any money. Although, the Wii Shop Channel and the DSi Shop will still be available because those are managed by Nintendo, along with all of the #DS's and Wii U's wifi functionality.

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
You know, with all of the people who are asking for other people with Pokemon Bank/Transfer to get their pokemon from gen 5 into gen 6 games, I wonder if this has something to do with it, seeing as how there are only 2 weeks left before they will be forced to buy bank access.

Anyways, I wonder what will happen to all of the facilities in the gen 4/5 games that required wifi... will they just sort of sit there with nothing to do anymore?

LittleLadyLeafeon

Struggling Cutie
I personally never played online with others or utilized the special events, as I liked to keep the game to myself kinda. But I do see it as a little unfair and bittersweet! It's something that all players will have to do with, but I'm not necessarily happy about that.

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
Ah, my bad.
Only if my internet connection on DS worked (which doesnt for no reason).. I remember having so fun with the GTS.

Earendil

You know, with all of the people who are asking for other people with Pokemon Bank/Transfer to get their pokemon from gen 5 into gen 6 games, I wonder if this has something to do with it, seeing as how there are only 2 weeks left before they will be forced to buy bank access.

That's likely the reason. That, and once Wi-Fi goes down, you'll essentially be required to either purchase--or have access--to two DS systems in order to conduct transfers from Generation 4 to Generation 5. Previously, there was actually a trading thread organized around many players' shared need to outsource this task, so it will likely affect a large number of people.

Anyways, I wonder what will happen to all of the facilities in the gen 4/5 games that required wifi... will they just sort of sit there with nothing to do anymore?

Essentially, yes! Someone actually brought that up a while ago. They mentioned that the top floor of all the Pokemon Centers will be almost completely useless.

Last edited:

landshaymin

Follow my lead.
Aside from the obvious things like GTS trading is there something in the games you can't get anymore after
Wi-Fi Connection is shut down? I remember that you could only get some medals in BW2 if you connect with the internet
but not getting some medals isn't the end, but is there more?

Nakashima

This completely sucks D=

Is there anyone that has a 4th gen event regigigas they'd be willing to part with, or clone for me? I really just want to be able to SR for the other regi's.. I've posted in the regigias thread, but I figured I'd double my chances by posting here as well..
Please, someone, help me out..

Earendil

Aside from the obvious things like GTS trading is there something in the games you can't get anymore after
Wi-Fi Connection is shut down? I remember that you could only get some medals in BW2 if you connect with the internet

Well, it is very much contingent upon the generation/ games that you're most concerned with (or that you have). If you haven't been playing Pokemon for too long, then in both Generations 4 and 5 there are a number of event or other legendaries needed to unlock special in-game features, including storyline events and similar items of interest. Most of these Pokemon will be essentially unobtainable when the Wi-Fi goes down. Please refer to my first post in this thread for more information about these Pokemon. If you're one for completing the Pokedex, there are additionally a pool of version exclusives one needs to worry about obtaining. You might also want to pick up a Japanese Ditto or two from the GTS in order to try your hand at Masuda Method breeding.

In Generation 5, the situation is a bit more complicated. You have the aforementioned event legendaries, but there are also a large number of Berries and Hidden Ability Pokemon to worry about. Some of the latter are newly catchable in Black 2 and White 2, but, in light of the closure of the Dream World, many more are only available via trade. The event Berries (Custap, Jaboca, Rowap, and Micle) can now only be traded for too. Basically, it all boils down to what exactly you like to collect.

Last edited:

Bighead

Dragonborn
Question: if Wi-Fi services are shutting down for the 5th gen games (as well as the 4th), does that mean it also won't be possible to use the Poke Transporter to transfer 5th gen Pokemon to the Pokemon Bank? Or is this particular feature unrelated to the Gamespy shutdown?

BCVM22

Again, none of the means of transferring Pokémon between generations are based on Wi-Fi and as such none of them will be affected by the shutdown.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Question: if Wi-Fi services are shutting down for the 5th gen games (as well as the 4th), does that mean it also won't be possible to use the Poke Transporter to transfer 5th gen Pokemon to the Pokemon Bank? Or is this particular feature unrelated to the Gamespy shutdown?

Pokébank and PokéTransporter are 3DS Apps/Games, they will not be affected and continue to work. Since PokéRadar is a 3DS app and requires the B2W2 game in the system, it will continue to work.

4th Gen to 5th Gen PokéTransfer will not be affected as it uses Local Wireless. You however need two DSes next to each other. (Or a 3ds and a DS, or 2 3dses.)

EDIT: Greninja used Extreme Speed on me!

Earendil

Just as a follow-up to your questions, Serebii was kind enough to compile a table listing all of the games' features which will be deactivated on Tuesday. Please look here: http://serebii.net/index2.shtml, and then scroll down to the news for Wednesday.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Just as a follow-up to your questions, Serebii was kind enough to compile a table listing all of the games' features which will be deactivated on Tuesday. Please look here: http://serebii.net/index2.shtml, and then scroll down to the news for Wednesday.

I've gone though the list and marked the ones that are no longer obtainable. http://www.serebiiforums.com/showth...cial-quot-UnOfficial-Medal-Guide-(Incomplete)

You can obtain the 4 Wifi quite quickly, but the 100 Dream World visits has been impossible since December when Dream World Shut.

Earendil

I've gone though the list and marked the ones that are no longer obtainable. http://www.serebiiforums.com/showth...cial-quot-UnOfficial-Medal-Guide-(Incomplete)

You can obtain the 4 Wifi quite quickly, but the 100 Dream World visits has been impossible since December when Dream World Shut.

Thanks for your efforts; that's quite the exhaustive list.

To everyone else: today is the last day that the Wi-Fi connection for all Generation 4 and 5 titles will be operational, so make it count!

bushie

with the 4th and 5th gen wifi going offline nintendo should drop the prices on all 4th and 5th gen games, because with no wifi there isn't many reasons to buy them.

John_2001

Pokemon 4 Life
with the 4th and 5th gen wifi going offline nintendo should drop the prices on all 4th and 5th gen games, because with no wifi there isn't many reasons to buy them.

Problem is the percentage of people buying older Gen titles will be few. People would think twice before buying a Pokemon title on DS. It would be more profiting if bought a game for 3DS instead for DS.

But, I doubt the fans will stay quiet. Perhaps Nintendo has plans in reviving the Wi-Fi features for DS games, you never know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, for this current moment, I feel like crying right now. I loved those Wi-Fi matches against random people around the world and also laughed at people who wish to trade Level 1 Magikarp for Level 100 Arceus.

Man, I will miss those days. :(

My feelings are described in this song.

Earendil

Problem is the percentage of people buying older Gen titles will be few. People would think twice before buying a Pokemon title on DS. It would be more profiting if bought a game for 3DS instead for DS.

But, I doubt the fans will stay quiet. Perhaps Nintendo has plans in reviving the Wi-Fi features for DS games, you never know.

I don't know... the video game section of my local Wal-Mart still has a healthy supply of Black 2 and White 2 games, so there must be some demand for them still (else they wouldn't keep carrying them). Plus, I believe they're $34.99 apiece--as opposed to $39.99 for X and Y--so for those copies that are sold, there isn't much of a price difference either way.

Also, I think they've already mentioned this is it, so anyone who wishes to return back to the pre-Generation 6 titles in the hopes of enjoying their full array of features is simply out of luck. :( It was a good run while it lasted, though! I, too, had a great deal of fun conducting worldwide trades.

Time to wax nostalgic: what was the last thing anyone reading this did over Nintendo Wi-Fi connection? I pulled a Giratina from the Generation 5 GTS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.