• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Terrible episodes of great shows.

CastletonSnob

Just about every long-running or critically acclaimed show has at least one major stinker in its run. It's just inevitable when you have so many episodes, some of them are gonna be duds. Sometimes, these episodes can be just as well-known as the great episodes.

I'll start with Code of Honor from TNG. Everything, from the racist undertones thanks to the baffling decision to make the actors playing a primitive alien race who lust after strong women black to the terrible fight scene makes me wonder how anybody involved thought this episode was a good idea.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Familiar from the X Files. The first 10-12 minutes of it have some of the worst acting in it that I've ever seen, like a bad table read. All of Chris Carter's My Struggle episodes from season 10 and 11, Babylon and Plus One. They have one thing in common, very bad writing, some bad acting.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The ending to the original Teen Titans was the most disappointing thing since my son

Leonhart

Imagineer
The final episode of Lost was bad for such a great series overall, as was the last episode of Game of Thrones. I tend to be very picky about how a series ends, so perhaps I only felt strongly about those episodes because I expected so much more.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
over half of the gen7 pokemon series had terrible eps. i literally fast forwarded/skipped 1/3 of the episodes. there were some good eps early on but the last half of last season were good.

as far as other shows go: seasons 8-10 of the original TMNT 1987 series, eps 33-40 of Street sharks (ep1-32 cheesy as hell to begin with...)

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I really hate the season four and original series finale of Futurama. I just feel so annoyed by a huge majority of it and some of it I don’t know why. I know it was supposed to be the end of the series originally but the sendoff felt anticlimactic. Yeah it’s sweet how Leela and Fry walk off together but it didn’t feel genuine or like it was the two finally getting together but rather platonic friends walking home. The issue of Fry’s hands made no sense and there were still unresolved plot points such as Leela being “the Other” that Nibbler mentioned. The episode was just flat and sort of felt rushed somehow.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Honestly almost all of TNG's first season was problematic. Hell, most Star Trek Races were still racial or political stereotypes. Riker didn't even have his beard yet, Troy was slightly worse than she was later on. Wesley was at his Wesleyest.

One bad episode was The Great Divide. The canyon episode of ATLA. God was that annoying. Patronising with its convoluted aesop. With a lame fight scene that was thrown in for no good reason.

But the disproportionately worst one was an episode of Buffy. Seeing Red.
I'm not gonna go into detail on this forum becuase it might not be age appropriate. But oh my god, that really should have killed any chance of Buffy and Spike being in a relationship. It should have been followed with Buffy staking him there and then. Instead that one incident was brushed off way too lightly. Not to mention just randomly offing one of the only likeable characters to create a bit of drama and a villain that can actually be taken seriously for the season finale.

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
Digimon's "My sister's keeper" traumatized me back then when I was about 8 years old, and even today I still think this is THE WORST that I've ever seen in my whole life... FoxKids first apologized for the scenes where Tai get violently slapped and the "Genocidial Bombing" techniques of Megadramon and Gigradramon, and agreed to censor them in future airings... but now "My sister's keeper" now a BANNED EPISODE in North America due to 9/11 terrorist scandal attack on the Twins Towers. This, plus the scene in Final Fantasy VII where Sephiroth impales Aerith totally ruined my 8 year-old moments...

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I can't think of too many, since I would rather forget them, but I just watched Community, and the G.I. Joe episode comes to mind. It doesn't explore the characters or any plot in any real or meaningful way, and it's not even very funny. All it does is poke fun at an '80s merchandise-pushing cartoon that is known to most people for being a shallow '80s cartoon that has been spoofed to death a million times over already.

Alphaeon

That episode in season 2 of Stranger Things where 11 goes to the city and meets all those other superpower kids. UGH.

That show is so good, what the heck happened with that episode...

KillerDraco

The final episode of How I Met Your Mother may very well go down in history as one of the worst finales to a long-running show ever. Entire seasons of character development thrown out the window in an instant, and killing off the titular character almost immediately after finally introducing her.

I just sort of pretend the final episode doesn't exist.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The finale of The Sopranos was trash. It's arguably the best television series of all time but damn the way it ended was a slap to the face to those of us who had been loyal viewers...
It was supposed to lead into a theatrical film that never got made. I think that’s how the creators of the show wanted to end the series. Cliffhanger finales are the worst way to end a series and only one show ever got it right ending its run like that and that show is Duckman. It was a satire of life at the time it was on air and often mocked cultural trends and even broke the fourth wall to make such comments and it worked because what they said was mostly true. The series finale was intentionally a cliffhanger of sorts because the creators weren’t sure that they’d get another season and also be able to make fun of season finales that ended this way at the same time. Now we’ve got shows like Family Guy and to a lesser extent American Dad that satires current cultural trends and breaking the fourth wall to make snide remarks about the situation.

TornadoAdvisory

The Imminent Storm
I know the thread title said 'episodes' and not 'seasons', so I'll say this:

Pretty much all episodes in season 8 of Dexter. While the show itself had some ups and downs, I feel like the good episodes outweigh the bad ones. Most if not all episodes in season 8, however, were just not that great and gave what was a pretty good show a lackluster ending.

On another note, S2EP7 of K-ON!!, A.K.A the 'Mio fan club' episode. As someone who found said fan club borderline creepy/unnecessary combined with the fact that I honestly couldn't care less about Mio herself as a character, this episode sticks out like a sore thumb in an otherwise great show.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
The finale of The Sopranos was trash. It's arguably the best television series of all time but damn the way it ended was a slap to the face to those of us who had been loyal viewers...

The final episode as a whole was good. I thought it wrapped up quite a few storylines while leaving a few open-ended, which I didn't necessarily mind. It just irked me that the last few minutes ended up being a cliffhanger. We can easily predict what actually happened, but it still bothers me that we didn't get proper resolution to that last scene.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I didn't like the episode of Recess where they find these cards that turn all the kids obsessed, and they essentially blame the cards for their obsession.

That episode of Recess rubbed me the wrong way.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The ending of the original Teen Titans cartoon

SerenaRulez

The How I Met Your Mother finale was the worst episode of the show and it made me so angry at the writers. I still love the series but I won't watch the last episode again. The last season of Charmed the original series was also disappointing to the extreme because I hated Billie and her sister and the fact that Leo barely got any attention. :(

I didn't like the episode of Recess where they find these cards that turn all the kids obsessed, and they essentially blame the cards for their obsession.

That episode of Recess rubbed me the wrong way.

That was actually one of my favorite episodes because it was like a spoof of the Pokemon phenomenon. :)

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Ok. I watch a lot of television, and I could go into a deep analysis of MANY shows / episodes. Instead, I'll just post a few thoughts I have (I may post more in the future).

In my opinion, the first three seasons of M*A*S*H were not good. I mean, the entire show was amazing overall, but I just don't like the first three seasons (mostly because of the characters). From all the shows I watch regularly, this show has probably the greatest range of quality from start to finish. First three seasons? I pretty much never watch. Later seasons? Some of my favorite television episodes. The finale? Best finale I have ever seen.

Also, the series finale of Everybody Loves Raymond. That last episode, in my opinion, was a bad episode, a terrible season finale, and as a series finale...why. Sure, it is one of those finales where things do not really change and the show could have hypothetically kept on going, but I am bored every time I watch that episode, and nothing really happens if you think about it. Sure, there MIGHT be some danger in that hospital scene, but we do not REALLY know (and there probably was not any danger anyways). Then the rest of the episode is pretty much the other characters obsessing over that. Yeah, and not even in an interesting way. I know they considered ending the series with the finale of season eight, which in my opinion would have not necessarily been a better place to end the series, but the season eight finale would have been a MUCH better series finale than the actual one. It could have been made significantly better, but even in its actual state, it is better than the ending of season nine.

For some reason, I have tend to enjoy more recent shows overall, especially the earlier seasons of them. I do not know if it is some new ways of writing or working on more current shows, but most of my examples of bad television come from shows that are at least before the year 2000. Again, I said most.

I may think of more examples, but I do not know if I will post them here. Just to be clear, I love M*A*S*H and Everybody Loves Raymond, but not ALL of them.