• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Terrible episodes of great shows.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
The episode of Big Bang Theory were Sheldon forces Leonard to wear a sweater he was allergic to while he tries to return a DVD to a rental store that has gone out of business. Sheldon is my favorite character but that episode made me want to punch him in the face.
Couldn't ever watch that show. It just got on my nerves. Mainly due to Sheldon, for the reason you mentioned. He could be annoying.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I just remembered how awful the final episode of Death Note was. I read the manga before watching the anime, so I admit that I expected the episode to adapt the last four chapters of the manga faithfully, but I was disappointed to see the anime rush through the source material and spend the last five minutes or so with a marginally different ending, while skipping the entire final chapter of the manga.

Nodqfan

That one episode of Arrow in season 5 that dealt with gun control. If I wanted to watch the commentary on gun violence I'd watch the news not a show loosely based on a comic book character that shoots arrows at people.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
It was supposed to lead into a theatrical film that never got made. I think that’s how the creators of the show wanted to end the series.

That's the problem with cliffhanger endings. Hollywood doesn't seem to understand that just because you end a show or movie on a cliffhanger, it doesn't guarantee you'll get a continuation of it later.

So I've already talked about the Pokémon anime and how it jumped the shark with Tobias. So I'll need to pick something else.

So, this isn't technically a TV series, but the Spiderman arc, 'One More Day' is probably one of the worst things I've ever seen done in a comic. I really can't stand when writers feel the need to retcon years of plotlines in any medium, simply because they can't seem to figure out how to move things forward.

Also, Passing the Torch in Power Rangers Turbo was probably one of the worst cast changeovers I've ever seen in a TV show. It was Narnia bad in terms of their justification of why the characters need to be replaced.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
[QUOTE="SBaby, post: 19020918, member: 25663”] It was Narnia bad in terms of their justification of why the characters need to be replaced.[/QUOTE]
It actually isn’t fair to say that about Narnia. The movies didn’t address the reason why main characters had to be replaced but the books explain everything in the second book. Once you reach a certain age, you cannot return due to a barrier I think it was. You generally serve your purpose in Narnia and the barrier will be in effect unless something drastic has happened and Narnia needs you.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
It actually isn’t fair to say that about Narnia. The movies didn’t address the reason why main characters had to be replaced but the books explain everything in the second book. Once you reach a certain age, you cannot return due to a barrier I think it was. You generally serve your purpose in Narnia and the barrier will be in effect unless something drastic has happened and Narnia needs you.
It's still a terrible reason and a poor justification to replace seasoned veterans with untested noobies. And it's effectively still the same reason they gave in Turbo. Just because the writer tries to explain it away as a 'plot barrier' doesn't mean it's good justification.

Joycap

The Smogonites' personal George Orwell
Oh, Love Live: School Idol Project... what an endearing little accident you turned out to be.
If only the end of Rin's arc didn't make me want to smash a wardrobe door to smithereens.

(BTW I would of linked a script here to a video I scrapped on the subject, but because of the forums supposed censors and something about a spam algorithm, I've had to make concessions).

I've always been in conflict with myself whether or not this episode of Rin's arc, or Kotori's ep.9-13 excuse for a 'character arc' is ultimately worse, but given that this thread is implying singular episodes, I'll stick to the one for this example. My main problem with Episode 18 (known as 'A New Me') is not only idiotic, but arguably pretty sexist in it's execution of a character with (supposed) body consciousness / confidence issues, and her "femininity" (which don't worry, we'll get to). Rin is probably best 3/4 if we're talking purely character design, but her incessant nya-ing tried my patience on many an occasion, which (atop what I'm about to discuss) dragged her down to worst 2 girls (tied with Kotori).

The first thing that sets off all the sirens is the fact that all of the 2nd years (Honoka/Kotori/Umi) are off on some school trip to Hawaii (as you do...), which is one gigantic pace break off the back of Episode 17 (the end of Nico's arc, I might add). This is obviously one gigantic contrivance for the up-and-coming conflict as part of Rin's arc, atop the Typhoon that the 2nd years end up stuck in (because hey, we annoyed Mega Rayquaza, for some reason). Goes without saying that if Honoka and co. weren't on the other side of the planet, this physically wouldn't be a conflict even if it had legitimacy (which it doesn't).

Sure enough, some bright spark intern thought it would be funny to have Rin be the team leader temporarily, in spite of the fact that:
  • Maki has enough agency and experience to at least hold the team up, and also seems to know better given that an earlier episode (episode 8, if I'm not mistaken) had her butting heads with Umi (who Eli had rubbed off on). Instead she ends up bickering with Nico over some minutia.
  • Speaking of which, Nico would have no reason to be here did she not come off the back of her character arc.
  • Nozomi/Eli are far better guiding figures all around, being the most mature 3rd years. Instead they're busy because SCP is open (again) and Eli only stepped down because something something burnout.
Which leaves Rin to 'lead' because potatoes. Sure enough, shenanigans ensure, and Rin doesn't have the agency to keep up.

After all of that, we get to a "pep talk" Maki (and by extension Hanayo) gives Rin on the way back, which I put pep talk in giant inverted commas simply because it really just berates Rin for 'not being girly' enough for them, and some notion about 'is this what you think of yourself?' Which Maki knows damn well that Rin can take in so many different ways (instead of running off) because it's that vague. We also get another flashback to a 6-year-old Rin and Hanayo with Rin in a dress, and a bunch of similarly-aged boys running past, mocking her for "usually wearing shorts", and this is the bit that REALLY grinds my gears.

Firstly, the bit where it says 'you usually' implies that her more tomboyish attitude was her decision from an early age (and given her more athletic applications such as that one gag in episode 5, she likely never regretted it). I mean, who in the entirety of Japanese academia is teaching nursery-age girls... what, exactly? Did the Marxist dismissal of sex/gender differences slip into this one before red-pilled nippon caught on? Well, given Eli's 'tree climbs your family' Russian heritage, that wouldn't surprise me. Why do we not see their parents, either? And how come Hanayo isn't getting crap for the same logic? In spite of one teensy-weensy but ever so crucial tiny little detail… YOU WERE A WITNESS. Was there literally nothing Hanayo could have said to Rin to get it through to her head that the only reason she's like this after 8 YEARS is because of a group of brats that CLEARLY aren’t worth either of their time, especially considering the clout Muse is getting through being one of the fastest-climbing idol groups in the country? How has this farce taken you 18 episodes to address, anyway? (And yes, I DID just cut-paste this straight from the script, because there's no better way to put it all).

For the record, 'you usually' being a translation error isn't something I want to discredit immediately, but an oversight 180-ing context like this? I thought we were over these file-ems of fail after Dr. Gero being a 'brilliant scientist'... or was it Goku's farther? I can't quite remember.

Second bit goes after the white dress one of Rin (who ultimately receives it) or Hanayo was going to wear for the dress concert / catwalk at the end of the episode. Oh yeah, did I mention that was a thing? And this was why you put Rin on a mental time crunch beforehand 'cos she needs to lead' for no reason?

There's also one scene that negotiated who was going to wear the white dress, and for a split second it looked like Hanayo was going to take it off her, taking pressure off Rin, and strengthening Hanayo as a character. But no, the episode does ANOTHER 180 backstage last minute, and hands it back to Rin. Besides being a real jerk move on the show's part, this scene (and by extension episode) just feels so wrong on so many levels, which I say for several reasons. For starters, this whole 'femininity' angle is a giant non-sequitur for the simple reason that back in episode 16, Rin would be seen in some kind of medium dress as part of Muse's performance vs A-RISE. Why? How? If she has some phobia of dresses, was this episode delayed or something, in the wake of most-relevant-at-the-time hurricane? Not likely, given that CR says this episode came out in May.

That's another point - the way this episode (and Rin's character on several fundamental levels) is structured makes me wonder if an earlier draft of her was some FtM Trans / Dysphoric, with a de-transition arc in the middle. I know I made that joke about renaming her Len or Joey, but I think it's a legitimate inquiry to ask whether or not this was intended before the writing staff scrapped the idea at the concept stage (or made it a last minute change with 99% of the story beats left in) because no one had the knowledge of the subject matter by any... reasonable definition. "It was foreshadowing the fact that she was even interested in Idols" you might say. Oh? Just say she was bi or something, worked for the rest of the team. Call it a ship, because I'm in the same boat as a certain pirate.
Either way, it's disappointing, knowing that the nationalist Japanese do progressivism better than a lot of us here in the west.

And this is the reason Ep. 18 cheeses me off, and is one of the few things I would legitimately call sexist (atop everyone bar Rin looking like Inquisitors by the end of the episode). Anyway, enough of my ramblings, I'm a lot more Tory than most. As I said, Love Live SIP is a show I both loved and hated at the same time, and episodes like this are the reason for the latter.

Venomshock

The 2nd season of Invader Zim was bad and I can tell why the series was cancelled after watching those episodes which sucks because the 1st season was perfect. Also every season of Spongebob beginning from 2005 has been really bad and I always change the channel when I flip to Nickelodeon and one of the newer season episodes is on.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The not-Obama and not-Ipad episodes of Futurama.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
That one episode of Arrow in season 5 that dealt with gun control. If I wanted to watch the commentary on gun violence I'd watch the news not a show loosely based on a comic book character that shoots arrows at people.
Yeah, its a show about a group of unaccountable vigilantes who regularly use potentially lethal weapons. That works as an escapist fiction most of the time, but it needed to tread carefully or it would just look ridiculous.

They kinda just threw as many ideas and issues out there as possible, in a 'let's let the audience decide' kind of a way instead. And it was an episode about gun control, instead of an episode about guns that had themes of gun control. Which always breaks the immersion.

Its a shame, since several main characters have issues about guns tied into their history. Diggle being a soldier who's much more careful and knowledgeable about guns than the law requires. Ollie and Thea, who's dad shot himself. Mad Dog who is careful with guns, but fundamentally pro-gun. Curtis, who is generally pacifist. Lance, a police captain.

TwilightBlade

The Tales of Ba Sing Se episode from ATLA. I know that a lot of long time fans consider it to be a masterpiece because of the Iroh segment but I didn't like that part for a lot of reasons and the rest of the segments were just as bad especially Sokka's and Aang's. :oops:

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
The Tales of Ba Sing Se episode from ATLA. I know that a lot of long time fans consider it to be a masterpiece because of the Iroh segment but I didn't like that part for a lot of reasons and the rest of the segments were just as bad especially Sokka's and Aang's. :oops:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad episode, but it's certainly one of the episodes that I tend to skip whenever I re-watch the series. The fourth episode of season one and the canyon episode of that same season are far worse from my viewpoint.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Do clip show episodes count? Because I think all clip shows minus the ones from the Simpsons suck. My most hated clip show episode was the one from season 4 of TLoK.
That clip show wasn't planned. The budget got cut suddenly and it was either make the clip show or let their staff go weeks early with no warning.

---------------------

@KillerDraco It would have made sense up to about season 3 or 4, but after that, yeah, no, they should have changed their original plan.

---------------

Anyway, Roadside Attraction is the wprst episode of Gravity Falls and The Great Divide is ATLA's worst episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TheWanderingMist said:
and The Great Divide is ATLA's worst episode.

It was a boring episode, and I remember being disappointed that the clan rivalry subplot was solved by Aang lying to both clans. Seeing a main character lie to solve a problem didn't feel right to me.

NeganTheSavior

Season 8 of Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Dexter and The Office are awful. So any episode from those, I suppose.

Bato of the Water Tribe is my least favorite episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I get that Aang's tribe was wiped out and he was scared of being abandoned by Sokka and Katara (the only family he has left), but it's still hard to watch him hide that letter about their dad because the entire time, I know it's coming back up and the reaction of Sokka and Katara won't be pleasant. That's why I always skip it even though it's the introduction of June (who comes back for the four part series finale). I know The Great Divide gets a bad rap for being filler (which...yeah, it is), but it felt like an insight of what it means to be the Avatar and how sometimes, you need to make the hard calls.

Sham

The Guardian of War
So I recently finished 13 reasons why (I sort of kinda regret even starting that series) fourth entire season and it was horrendous and made absolutely no sense. I can typically watch “trash TV” to an extent but that entire season made absolutely no sense and it was clear to me the writers, whomever they may be were on drugs while in the writers room.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I'm a big fan of Star Trek: The Next Generation and love the majority of the episodes. The only episodes I found terrible were ones focusing on Deanna Troi. Her episodes usually focus on her falling in love with a character of the day or having something block her empathic powers. These... just dont make compelling stories for a science fiction adventure series.

Also any episodes featuring her mother Lwaxana are insufferable.

NeganTheSavior

So I recently finished 13 reasons why (I sort of kinda regret even starting that series) fourth entire season and it was horrendous and made absolutely no sense. I can typically watch “trash TV” to an extent but that entire season made absolutely no sense and it was clear to me the writers, whomever they may be were on drugs while in the writers room.

If I recall correctly, seasons 2-4 aren't derived from any source material like season 1. I'm so glad I never watched past season 1. It sounds like each season of that show gets progressively worse.