• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Movie Sequels. Don't let this one die plx.

Tom Nook

Feel free to browse
Disney is the obvious offender here. Lame direct to video sequels which both lack the oringinal voice actors and writers make for very bad entertainment. What were they thinking? At least they've put the process to a halt now.

As for other bad sequels, I think the second live action Scooby Doo movie deserves a mention (not that the oringinal was anything special), as do the Home Alone Sequels.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Pokémon movies 4-up (excluding five and possibly eight): Come on, Nintendo, stop funding for these crappy movies. We're sick and tired of watching Ash save the world a freakin' billion times over. Just PLEEEEASE let this thirteenth movie be the last.
Well This was my stance on the series. This is by POKEMON standards Okay?
1 - So bad it's good. The Original Japanese one was slightly better.
2 - Pretty good.
3 - Great
4 - Okay but was a bit faulty.
5 - Meh
6 - Meh
7- Meh
8 - Okay. Not too bad.
9 - Probably the worst of them so far.
10 - On the contrary. The best of them so far.
11 - Haven't seen.
12 - Haven't seen.

Plus the movies will end when the anime will end, the anime will end when the games end, the games will end when they stop selling. And because the games are selling over 10 mil. They won't end soon.

Night_Walker

Harry Potter 2 upwards, they are all no good imo.
I'd agree there, they were adaptations that were made solely to cash in on the fame of the books.

They've never cared about accuracy or anything else; changing scenes to make them more 'visually dramatic' (the blundger in CoS being destroyed rather then forced back into the box, the Dragon scene in GoF), the omission of important sub-plots within the series (the Harry and Ginny story, the Marauders), the needless cutting of scenes and characters with accompanying changes to the plot (Cho giving away the DA in OotP instead of her friend) while at the same time expanding other scenes (the Dragon scene in GoF), changing around details of the timeline, etc etc.

The first 2 were the closest to the books but even then I don't think they ever bothered trying to capture the look and feel of the books.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
I'd agree there, they were adaptations that were made solely to cash in on the fame of the books.

They've never cared about accuracy or anything else; changing scenes to make them more 'visually dramatic' (the blundger in CoS being destroyed rather then forced back into the box, the Dragon scene in GoF), the omission of important sub-plots within the series (the Harry and Ginny story, the Marauders), the needless cutting of scenes and characters with accompanying changes to the plot (Cho giving away the DA in OotP instead of her friend) while at the same time expanding other scenes (the Dragon scene in GoF), changing around details of the timeline, etc etc.

The first 2 were the closest to the books but even then I don't think they ever bothered trying to capture the look and feel of the books.

It's called an "adaptation". "Adapt" means "to change". If it were to just slavishly follow the books, then the films would end up somewhere within the region of three hours.

changing scenes to make them more 'visually dramatic' (the blundger in CoS being destroyed rather then forced back into the box, the Dragon scene in GoF),

They changed them because books and films are very different forms of media. Films are visual media, so require more visual dramatic impact than a book. Also, with the Horntail; you've got top-of-the-range special effects to render it and make it behave intimidating. You'd obviously want to exploit that to its maximum, give the audience more bang for their buck, and you can't do that by just having it behave like a charmed snake.

the omission of important sub-plots within the series (the Harry and Ginny story, the Marauders), the needless cutting of scenes and characters with

Which Harry and Ginny story? Her early crush on him is strongly hinted within the first couple of minutes of Chamber of Secrets. If you're talking about the burdening romance, it's still there; in the Burrow, they end up sharing an awkward moment; Harry admits his feelings for her to Hermione. As to the Marauders, their identities are very heavily implied: Lupin states that he, Sirius, James and Pettigrew were close friends, and if he knows how to work the Map, then logically so should they. It's not that hard.

the needless cutting of scenes and characters with accompanying changes to the plot (Cho giving away the DA in OotP instead of her friend)

In Order of the Phoenix, Marietta's role is minor; all she does is glower at Harry and get a lovely collection of spots. The role of traitor was changed because literally anyone else could have filled it, plus it created more tension between Harry and Cho.

changing around details of the timeline, etc etc.

Explain further.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I disliked about the first two films; they were slavish adaptations, and treated the books like they were sacred golden tomes from the vaults of Xerxes. When bringing literary material to the big screen, you have to make changes:

a) So it can fit comfortably into a suitable running time;

b) So the pacing doesn't drag.

If an adaptation can't do that, as what happened with the first two films, something has gone wrong. I prefer the later films precisely because they did just that.

trixie08

Speak No Evil
I'll have to say some of the worst sequels were most of the Disney made-for-DVD movies. They are just ruining everything by producing those. The only exception is "The Lion King 2", because I really loved that movie!

And yes, "Toy Story 3" is gonna be awesome!

Vernikova

Champion
High School Musical 2 and High School Musical 3 pale in comparison to High School Musical in my opinion. I didn't realy like the original movie a lot but the other two movies, mainly the second since they aren't even in high school at the time, don't have as much effort put into it as the first movie.

Nebbio

NINJA!
Ghostbusters 2. What were they thinking?

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Mulan 2 was absolute torture to watch. It, in my opinion, was a brand-new low for Disney sequels.

Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!

Mulan 2, as well as the already-mentioned Cinderella sequels, and of course the horrible Little Mermaid 2, were all bullcrap. Ariel's daughter was a brat in my opinion. And the villain was just...ergh. The plot was ergh. I really don't like it and Disney must have been running out of ideas. The movie was really bad.

Can't say much about Mulan or Cinderella since I can't remember them much.

BigLutz

Banned
Ghostbusters 2. What were they thinking?

Hey better than the original idea they were going to use for it "Ghostbusters go to Scotland"

Anyway their idea was to take what was a pretty good idea, and the Ghostbusters formula from the first movie, and drop it down to a kiddy level, so that kids who watched the previous few years of the cartoon could watch it. Notice in Ghostbusters 2 they don't smoke or drink, or do any of the things the actors did in the first movie.

Narshen

Rocket Grunt
The two Back the the Future sequels. After watching the brilliance that was the original BttF for years, these two were massive disappointments. They borderline ruined the original for me, honestly. =/

The Pirates sequels are pretty bad as well, and I didn't enjoy Shrek 3 very much.

Luppi

I shot my eye out.
Son of the Mask.

I saw it and it was the first time I've ever wanted to punch a baby. XP

Last edited:

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
Star Wars I II and III. They couldn't compare with the original trilogy.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
As for other bad sequels, I think the second live action Scooby Doo movie deserves a mention (not that the oringinal was anything special), as do the Home Alone Sequels.
I thought the first Scooby Doo live action movie was so bad, that the sequel actually redeemed its quality.

I can't think of any bad sequels right on the top of my head, but Lion King 1 and 1/2 comes to mind. It wasn't a particularly bad movie, but I could never accept it as canon.

Autumn22

I'd have to say the worst sequels I have ever seen are Lion King 2, and Balto 2 and 3,only the first Balto is good.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Well This was my stance on the series. This is by POKEMON standards Okay?
1 - So bad it's good. The Original Japanese one was slightly better.
2 - Pretty good.
3 - Great
4 - Okay but was a bit faulty.
5 - Meh
6 - Meh
7- Meh
8 - Okay. Not too bad.
9 - Probably the worst of them so far.
10 - On the contrary. The best of them so far.
11 - Haven't seen.
12 - Haven't seen.

Plus the movies will end when the anime will end, the anime will end when the games end, the games will end when they stop selling. And because the games are selling over 10 mil. They won't end soon.

1) Agreed. But I have to admit, I think the first movie is my favorite, lol XD.
2) A little bit better than the first, could be my all-time favorite if I wasn't a huge fan of Mewtwo.
3) I still giggle at the "Believe in me" part, though. But yes, agreed.
4) I hated this movie, it was too slow and so many time paradoxes... But that's your opinion, and this is mine.
5) Better than the fourth.
6) It was all right.
7) It was a lot more awesome on TV xD.
8) Good. It's just so weird how there have been deaths in Pokémon, but they've all been cheesy. This one has the better death scene, though the fifth movie still makes me sad.
9) Haven't seen (stopped watching the series after the changing of the VAs)
10) Haven't seen (but it looks good)
11) Haven't seen
12) Haven't seen

...Yup...

Lugion

My favorite was the second.