• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Movie Sequels. Don't let this one die plx.

Witchan

Shauntal, FTW!
Dragonball Evolution, hands down. After 15 minutes of seeing it I couldn't take my eyes no it, anymore. :(

Star Wars I II and III. They couldn't compare with the original trilogy.
They're not awful, but yeah, they aren't as epic as IV-VI.
Dragonball Evolution, hands down. After 15 minutes of seeing it I couldn't take my eyes no it, anymore. :(
This.

And:
Every Harry Potter Movie, seriously, read the damn books instead of this shit.

Oh, and Twilight, the books were awful alone, now we have movies and a manga.

Night_Walker

It's called an "adaptation". "Adapt" means "to change". If it were to just slavishly follow the books, then the films would end up somewhere within the region of three hours.
It's an out and out money grab. With no interest in trying to stay as close as possible to the real story.

They changed them because books and films are very different forms of media. Films are visual media, so require more visual dramatic impact than a book. Also, with the Horntail; you've got top-of-the-range special effects to render it and make it behave intimidating. You'd obviously want to exploit that to its maximum, give the audience more bang for their buck, and you can't do that by just having it behave like a charmed snake.
In my eyes the Horntail bit was simply done to show off special effects, with no reason to show it within the narrative. Especially when other things end up being cut out of the films to achieve the time to do scenes like that.

Which Harry and Ginny story? Her early crush on him is strongly hinted within the first couple of minutes of Chamber of Secrets. If you're talking about the burdening romance, it's still there; in the Burrow, they end up sharing an awkward moment; Harry admits his feelings for her to Hermione.
Elements of their story is missing in PoA, GoF, OotP (along with Ginny's character development). It's not a case of "Ginny had a crush on Harry in CS then nothing happened til HBP".

As to the Marauders, their identities are very heavily implied: Lupin states that he, Sirius, James and Pettigrew were close friends, and if he knows how to work the Map, then logically so should they. It's not that hard.
But it is never stated, which could have been done in one line. It's just laziness.

In Order of the Phoenix, Marietta's role is minor; all she does is glower at Harry and get a lovely collection of spots. The role of traitor was changed because literally anyone else could have filled it, plus it created more tension between Harry and Cho.
It's an unnecessary alteration to the plot, simply to save a little money. And the Harry Cho relationship doesn't need anything added to it to make it fall apart.

Explain further.
Crouch Jr being back with Tom before the Quidditch World cup, the Firebolt arriving after Sirius makes his escape.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I disliked about the first two films; they were slavish adaptations, and treated the books like they were sacred golden tomes from the vaults of Xerxes.
They were truer to the books, that's all.

When bringing literary material to the big screen, you have to make changes:

a) So it can fit comfortably into a suitable running time;

b) So the pacing doesn't drag.

If an adaptation can't do that, as what happened with the first two films, something has gone wrong. I prefer the later films precisely because they did just that.
I'm sorry I must disagree. You stay true to the books, you can play with some things to help it flow but you don't go changing just about anything you think you can get away with. Or re-writing it almost in an attempt to top the author.

And as far as length goes, have the film groups forgotten about "intermissions"?

I despised the later films cause they didn't try to bring the world of the books to visual life, they tried to create their own world.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
It's an out and out money grab. With no interest in trying to stay as close as possible to the real story.

That's what about 90% of blockbusters are for: to make money. In fact, that's pretty much how the movie industry is run nowadays. Also, that had bugger all to do with my point about adaptations.

In my eyes the Horntail bit was simply done to show off special effects, with no reason to show it within the narrative. Especially when other things end up being cut out of the films to achieve the time to do scenes like that.

The Horntail was the most vicious dragon, and Harry was the youngest champion, and also the one treated with the most disdain; the first task was designed to put that to rest. It didn't matter how it was done, so long as it showed Harry's skill. The movie version achieved that very well.

Elements of their story is missing in PoA, GoF, OotP (along with Ginny's character development). It's not a case of "Ginny had a crush on Harry in CS then nothing happened til HBP".

In Prisoner and Goblet, Ginny just acted shy around Harry, then by Order started becoming more confident. Her role in 3 and 4 was minor at best, so it was a necessary cut for a little thing called suitable running time.

But it is never stated, which could have been done in one line. It's just laziness.

It would have pretty much gone like this: "Oh yeah, and me, Sirius, Pettigrew and your dad created the Marauder's Map. Bye now!" Just a straight dump of information. Do you really have to have everything spelt out for you?

It's an unnecessary alteration to the plot, simply to save a little money. And the Harry Cho relationship doesn't need anything added to it to make it fall apart.

My memories of this are hazy, but I'm pretty sure they cut out the scene in the cafe where it all falls apart, so they needed her to be the traitor so the relationship could end. Also, again Marietta is not given any significance until she gives them away, so she could be cut out and replaced very easily.

Crouch Jr being back with Tom before the Quidditch World cup, the Firebolt arriving after Sirius makes his escape.

Crouch Jr.'s involvement with Voldemort isn't noted upon until his confession, which took up about half a chapter. That big an information dump would have been too much for an audience to take in, so his role as the one to resurrect Voldemort needed to be made more obvious. Hence why he appears at the House of Riddle, and why he seems proud of being a Death Eater (the sudden personality change between scared youth and sociopath was too much of a gear change).

With the Firebolt, there's a limit of one Quidditch game per film, due to budgetary and time constraints. Introducing it at the same time it did in the books, without the pressure of another Quidditch game, would have just seemed odd.

They were truer to the books, that's all.

I'm sorry I must disagree. You stay true to the books, you can play with some things to help it flow but you don't go changing just about anything you think you can get away with. Or re-writing it almost in an attempt to top the author.

Just because something works as a book doesn't mean it will work as a film. A book has to hold the reader's attention over every page and doesn't have to follow any time constraints; films have to keep the attention held for around two hours, any more and the audience would start to get antsy.

And as far as length goes, have the film groups forgotten about "intermissions"?

An intermission can damage the flow of the film. Imagine: you're really immersed in it after a bombastic action scene or whatever, and then the film stops for about half an hour. How would you feel about that?

I despised the later films cause they didn't try to bring the world of the books to visual life, they tried to create their own world.

The writers worked very closely with Rowling, and I'm sure anything she wouldn't have liked would have been fixed. Also, she wanted Terry Gilliam to direct the films, but Warner Bros. hired Chris Columbus to make things more family friendly. I don't know if you've heard of Gilliam, but he would almost certainly try and bring his own vision of the books' universe to the screen, and he was Rowling's first choice.

ancient pray

You. Will. Be. Mine.
Star Wars II III IV V VI
they all suck, I take Star Wars IV as an example, whoohoo!! I'm obiwan keNOOBi and I'm gonna kill darth vader! single slice from darth vader and a very VERY bad lightsaber fight and obi wan keNOOBi is dead, I've hated him since the first movie.

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
Originally Posted by ancient pray
Star Wars II III IV V VI
they all suck, I take Star Wars IV as an example, whoohoo!! I'm obiwan keNOOBi and I'm gonna kill darth vader! single slice from darth vader and a very VERY bad lightsaber fight and obi wan keNOOBi is dead, I've hated him since the first movie.

you are a sad strange little wagon. Why did you leave out TPM, when its abviously the worst one of the series. AotC, i can understand with the petty romance, but the Battle of geonosis was pretty good and Jango is badass cuz hes a Mandalorian. but the overall series does have way too much focus on the Jedi. as for your example of Obi-Wan vs. Vader, Obi did what he did for two reasons: 1) become 1 with the Force so that he can help Luke later with maximum potential and 2) to buy "the gang" enough time to escape. the latter almost failed.
on topic:
Tremors 2 and onward- the first one is the only one that actually produces a sense of terror and is also the only one where the Graboids use their tentacles to maximum potential. and the sad part is: their making a Tremors 5. judging by the title (Tremors: Thunder from Down Under) its set in Australia. oh, its gonna suck monkey balls, not because its set in Australia, but because like 2-4 its gonna be a direct-to-DVD release and theres nothing that they can really add to the series.
according to id Software, there is a possiblity of a sequel to the Doom movie around when Doom 4 is released. now the first one was just another zombie movie, which always suck, but if there really is a Doom 2 movie, im not gonna see because i know ill cry so much because it will not do any justice to the series.

Star Wars II III IV V VI

I suggest you search for help, you sure have mental problems.

Night_Walker

That's what about 90% of blockbusters are for: to make money. In fact, that's pretty much how the movie industry is run nowadays. Also, that had bugger all to do with my point about adaptations.
What I mean is, in my eyes, they don't care about the films being accurate (if not exact) to the books because they just want to make money not tell a story.

The Horntail was the most vicious dragon, and Harry was the youngest champion, and also the one treated with the most disdain; the first task was designed to put that to rest. It didn't matter how it was done, so long as it showed Harry's skill. The movie version achieved that very well.
The book version did it better, she wouldn't take off because she was trying to stay with her eggs to protect them, makes perfect sense, so Harry had to figure out how to get her up (shows Harry's intelligence which is something that's not always emphasised). And one can presume that all the wizards on hand where able to restrain her once Harry got the egg, hence there was no reason to put in that several minute long chase except to show off with special effects.

In Prisoner and Goblet, Ginny just acted shy around Harry, then by Order started becoming more confident. Her role in 3 and 4 was minor at best, so it was a necessary cut for a little thing called suitable running time.
Her interactions with Harry help build their story so it doesn't seem to come out of nowhere in HBP;
~ In CoS it's pretty much clear that, to use JK's words, while he does seem like a rock-god to her that from what she hears from her brothers - cause let's face it she would have heard about him from them - she's actually gained a very good understanding of him, as she knows why he doesn't want any more fame.
~ In PoA not only is it clear that she's more in love/infatuated with him then before but she's still able to share a joke with him by eye contact, and sharing jokes that way is something that as far as I can remember - and I re-read the series not long ago - is something that Harry does virtually exclusively with Ron.
~ In GoF she's basically normal around him - certainly more then in the past - but still quiet and then there's that big moment where she feels crushed that Harry wanted to ask Cho to the dance and decides that she doesn't want to be his 'second choice'.
~ In the OotP book where she comes right out of her shell around him (to the extent she is the only one of his friends who can calm him down from one of those towering tempers he has that year, and is able to cheer him up too).

*Shrugs* That's just my PoV though, I dunno maybe I just see their interaction in the books more then others, pry cause I've spent so much time arguing shipping wise.
But then they had that problem with the Harry & Cho relationship in the films, Cho doesn't appear in PoA but in GoF we're got Harry slopping food down his front at the sight of her without any indication of how he crushed on her...

It would have pretty much gone like this: "Oh yeah, and me, Sirius, Pettigrew and your dad created the Marauder's Map. Bye now!" Just a straight dump of information. Do you really have to have everything spelt out for you?
The Marauders later turn into a fairly big deal so it would have been nice to see that scene from the book in the film.

My memories of this are hazy, but I'm pretty sure they cut out the scene in the cafe where it all falls apart, so they needed her to be the traitor so the relationship could end. Also, again Marietta is not given any significance until she gives them away, so she could be cut out and replaced very easily.
Yes, they cut out the fall apart scene so they had to dig themselves out of it by messing with something else instead.

Crouch Jr.'s involvement with Voldemort isn't noted upon until his confession, which took up about half a chapter. That big an information dump would have been too much for an audience to take in, so his role as the one to resurrect Voldemort needed to be made more obvious. Hence why he appears at the House of Riddle, and why he seems proud of being a Death Eater (the sudden personality change between scared youth and sociopath was too much of a gear change).
I don't see why they had to muck with the timeline though, by all means he can do his thing at the world cup but there's not reason we have to see him or that he is already free thanks to Tom by that stage (the mystery of the mark worked well in the book).
I thought what they did with the trial was fine, thought it fit slightly better then the trial bits in the book - although I find it a little harder to accept that Crouch Sr would have taken his son back into his house even as his wife's last request.

With the Firebolt, there's a limit of one Quidditch game per film, due to budgetary and time constraints. Introducing it at the same time it did in the books, without the pressure of another Quidditch game, would have just seemed odd.
PoA is basically the Quidditch book though, no other book has it being as important as it is in PoA (I mean in HBP for example it's more something that helps Harry get together with Ginny). Basically cause Harry grows to accept there are things more important then it by OotP.
Also the Firebolt's affect on the Trio is a big part of the story too.

Just because something works as a book doesn't mean it will work as a film. A book has to hold the reader's attention over every page and doesn't have to follow any time constraints; films have to keep the attention held for around two hours, any more and the audience would start to get antsy.
Yes there are differences between the mediums, but I don't see why that means book and film have to diverge so much in various places.

An intermission can damage the flow of the film. Imagine: you're really immersed in it after a bombastic action scene or whatever, and then the film stops for about half an hour. How would you feel about that?
Well for starters you can create little down moments in the film, tension wise, where you could stick an intermission in.

The writers worked very closely with Rowling, and I'm sure anything she wouldn't have liked would have been fixed. Also, she wanted Terry Gilliam to direct the films, but Warner Bros. hired Chris Columbus to make things more family friendly. I don't know if you've heard of Gilliam, but he would almost certainly try and bring his own vision of the books' universe to the screen, and he was Rowling's first choice.
Yeah... this is something I'm sorta not clear on. Cause to me, and this might simply be my PoV, they've messed so much with the story that the films are a separate canon from the books yet is is clear in places that JK was consulted... So I dunno.

Also I have to acknowledge, I did read the books a lot before any of the films ever came out and formed a very clear image in my head of what that world was like and I suppose part of my dislike for the films may well have come from the fact they've never managed to match my imagination *shrugs*.

Last edited:

SailorPika

Dark Poke'mon Lover
Home Alone 4- What they said
Every direct-to-video sequels to live action films

The Secret of NIMH 2- The most unnecessary sequel ever (even worse than Disney's animated sequels)
Pretty much every Land Before Time sequel- Oh dear god, when will it stop?!
An All Dogs Christmas Carol- 1st was the best, 2nd was so-so, but this was AWFUL
An American Tail 3 and 4- Well, although they weren't terrible, they weren't that good either

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
Star Wars II III IV V VI

Now, I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but I don't see how any of those movies were ruined by one character. Could you explain why those movies were so bad?

Fantasyfan45

Professional Pirate
Ghostbusters 2- I liked the third one... the second was just kind of random...
Son of the mask 2- HATE this movie. The first one was way better and I don't even like it that much.
X-men 3- Kind of random from beginning to end. Had no purpose. The Jean dies scotts dies, Logan goes who knows where. And the whole movie was pointless....

KingRaichu

Hail to da king baby
Let's think...every disney movie sequel ever...the prequel trilogy of star wars...hold on I'm slipping...

Cobalt_Latios

Ghostbusters 2- I liked the third one... the second was just kind of random...
Wait... they made a third one???

(No, it isn't the video game one).

<C_L>

PokemonHero

I can see the future
No questions asked, the very worst sequel is:

The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride.

Really now? In all seriousness, that movie was actually pretty good. Okay, it wasn't as good as the first movie, but compared to all the other Disney sequels, it was actually really nice and had a plot that it could build off of, rather than the other sequels.

I'm interested. Why do you think it was so bad?