• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Terrorists, What Rights Should They Have?

BigLutz

Banned
The thing is that's where I'm from. Pennsylvania. There are so many close minded people. Heck, the poor indian kid was called a terrorist the other day, just for sitting there. 90% kids, and even some older people I've talked to have thought that whites can't be terrorist...but then again, they're non educated so I see the point you're making here.

That's what is sad. And that's the point I'm trying to push. I give everyone a chance. That's the open minded life.

And that is great but you are letting your heart eat your brain, are you honestly telling me that if you saw two Middle Eastern men set their backpack down upon a parade route like what happened in Boston, you would not alert the police?

And that is great but you are letting your heart eat your brain, are you honestly telling me that if you saw two Middle Eastern men set their backpack down upon a parade route like what happened in Boston, you would not alert the police?

No, I wouldnt. Simply setting a back pack down is no reason to do anything.

Now, if the situation was slightly altered, and they walked away from said back pack, then there would be concern. Simply putting something down isnt a crime, nor will it ever be one.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!

Not really, unless I saw an armed weapon.

EDIT: Why do I keep getting negative reps for an unnecessary reason?

Last edited:

BigLutz

Banned

Now, if the situation was slightly altered, and they walked away from said back pack, then there would be concern. Simply putting something down isnt a crime, nor will it ever be one.

Alright lets change the situation, they sit the backpack down and walk away to get a quick coffee, would that be worthy? Not to mention they could clearly wait with the backpack till the time the bomb is about to go off and then move away, or even be a suicide bomber.

Not really, unless I saw an armed weapon.

As we saw in Boston, the armed weapon IS in the backpack.

Alright lets change the situation, they sit the backpack down and walk away to get a quick coffee, would that be worthy? Not to mention they could clearly wait with the backpack till the time the bomb is about to go off and then move away, or even be a suicide bomber.

Re ad

Teebu

You seem to be suggesting that a police or intelligence agency cannot multitask, especially when they have people trained interrogation techniques like waterboarding.

I'm fully aware they can, perhaps if they didn't spend time and money training people the in's and out's or barbaric torture and used those resources elsewhere the credible information they gather would be more complete.

Yeah they have the right to live, atleast Waterboarding gives a possible end in which they can continue to live a life, killing does not.

Living a life from day to day of being tortured, suffering from Malnutrition and having no future to look forward to isn't my idea of life. Id rather be put out of my misery personally.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
Ignoring how disgusting and inhumane torture is, there's no real reason to practice torture. It's not at all an effective way of gathering information, and could in fact be counter productive.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/b...ow-torture-may-inhibit-accurate-co-2009-09-21

The use of coercive interrogation "is based on the assumption that subjects will be motivated to reveal veridical information to end interrogation, and that extreme stress, shock and anxiety do not impact memory," Shane O'Mara, a professor at the Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience in Dublin and the paper's lead author, said in a prepared statement. "However, this model of the impact of extreme stress on memory and the brain is utterly unsupported by scientific evidence."

Prolonged stress and subsequent changes in the body's hormone levels can have a negative effect on memory and learning, and "information presented by the captor to elicit responses during interrogation may inadvertently become part of the suspect's memory," the paper authors note. Similar false memories "recalled" during therapy or eyewitness testimony are well documented.

The report also describes such intense interrogation as a possible case of classical conditioning. If a suspect under interrogation is being repeatedly waterboarded, for example, when they are not talking, the detainee will likely come to associate talking—whether it is giving accurate or incorrect information—with safety and will be inclined to talk more (if not more truthfully). Likewise, "when the captive is talking, the captor's objective has been obtained," the authors note. Thus, the coercive techniques may encourage talking from both sides, but, as the researchers explain in the paper, "torture is as likely to elicit false as well as true information."

Last edited:

BigLutz

Banned
" The report also describes such intense interrogation as a possible case of classical conditioning. If a suspect under interrogation is being repeatedly waterboarded, for example, when they are not talking, the detainee will likely come to associate talking—whether it is giving accurate or incorrect information—with safety and will be inclined to talk more (if not more truthfully). Likewise, "when the captive is talking, the captor's objective has been obtained," the authors note. Thus, the coercive techniques may encourage talking from both sides, but, as the researchers explain in the paper, "torture is as likely to elicit false as well as true information." "

Problem with that is the belief that the captors will take something at face value, usually there tends to be a guideline, something that the captors know and the terrorist doesn't that when the terrorist gives up, is a good indication that he has broken.

I'm fully aware they can, perhaps if they didn't spend time and money training people the in's and out's or barbaric torture and used those resources elsewhere the credible information they gather would be more complete.

You are making a false equivalency by suggesting that one set of training takes away from another.

Living a life from day to day of being tortured, suffering from Malnutrition and having no future to look forward to isn't my idea of life. Id rather be put out of my misery personally.

Where did "suffering from malnutrition" come from? And I am sure "at that moment" you would want to be put out of your misery, but what about 5 or 10 years down the line, when you have given the information and live rather comfortably as many terrorist in GITMO now do.

Last edited:

Teebu

You are making a false equivalency by suggesting that one set of training takes away from another.

so you don't think that spreading out your resources on more training, facilities etc takes away from the productivity of other areas?

Where did "suffering from malnutrition" come from? And I am sure "at that moment" you would want to be put out of your misery, but what about 5 or 10 years down the line, when you have given the information and live rather comfortably as many terrorist in GITMO now do.

Well they're in there for one reason, to extract information out of them, i doubt they are feeding them balanced diets. Assuming they survive the rigorous torture without losing their mental competence.

BigLutz

Banned
so you don't think that spreading out your resources on more training, facilities etc takes away from the productivity of other areas?

I don't think with a endless checkbook as the CIA has, that they need to worry about one thing or another getting funding.

Well they're in there for one reason, to extract information out of them, i doubt they are feeding them balanced diets. Assuming they survive the rigorous torture without losing their mental competence.

Why wouldn't they feed them balanced diets? They want them to survive as long as possible to maintain as a possible resource. I mean look at KSM, after he broke he became almost a teacher on al Qaeda to the CIA.

Teebu

I don't think with a endless checkbook as the CIA has, that they need to worry about one thing or another getting funding.

nothing is endless, especially if the expenses aren't getting solid results.

Why wouldn't they feed them balanced diets? They want them to survive as long as possible to maintain as a possible resource. I mean look at KSM, after he broke he became almost a teacher on al Qaeda to the CIA.
They'll give them enough to keep them well alive, they would want them to suffer though to get results quickly. I didn't know that.

BigLutz

Banned
nothing is endless, especially if the expenses aren't getting solid results.

I wouldn't say they are not getting solid results, the two they have waterboarded have practically wrote the book on al Qaeda afterwards, and were even part of the operation to get Osama Bin Laden.

They'll give them enough to keep them well alive, they would want them to suffer though to get results quickly. I didn't know that.

Yes through sleep deprevation and other techniques that have already been listed by the press, I don't seem to remember starving as one of them.

Teebu

I wouldn't say they are not getting solid results, the two they have waterboarded have practically wrote the book on al Qaeda afterwards, and were even part of the operation to get Osama Bin Laden.

out of how many? they're not exactly openly admit to the ones they haven't got results for.

Yes through sleep deprevation and other techniques that have already been listed by the press, I don't seem to remember starving as one of them.

I never claimed they would be starved, just that they wouldn't live life comfortably, diet would also be a part of that. You don't torture someone then give them a nice cooked meal.

BigLutz

Banned
out of how many? they're not exactly openly admit to the ones they haven't got results for.

Edit: Waterboarding was used on two terrorists, KSM and Abu Zubaydah, mind you that doesn't mean other EITs were used on other terrorists, just waterboarding in particular wasnt used on them.

I never claimed they would be starved, just that they wouldn't live life comfortably, diet would also be a part of that. You don't torture someone then give them a nice cooked meal.

You claimed they were malnourished, that is far different than claiming they did not give comfortable food.

Teebu

Edit: Waterboarding was used on two terrorists, KSM and Abu Zubaydah, mind you that doesn't mean other EITs were used on other terrorists, just waterboarding in particular wasnt used on them.
I'm sure there were many methods used on all of them, none of them particularly nice.

You claimed they were malnourished, that is far different than claiming they did not give comfortable food.

I did, but Malnourished is also different from being starved. They wouldn't be in any danger of dying from starvation but the malnourishment would affect their ability to recover completely and think straight. Either way it's not a pleasant way to spend '5 - 10 years'.

BigLutz

Banned
I'm sure there were many methods used on all of them, none of them particularly nice.

They are mass murderers I doubt anyone cares if people were nice to them or not.

I did, but Malnourished is also different from being starved. They wouldn't be in any danger of dying from starvation but the malnourishment would affect their ability to recover completely and think straight. Either way it's not a pleasant way to spend '5 - 10 years'.

It isn't but it is better than being dead, and again you have no proof any of the terrorists were malnourished.

Teebu

They are mass murderers I doubt anyone cares if people were nice to them or not.
People clearly do since it's always a topic up for discussion and it made up part of the reason why waterboarding was banned.

It isn't but it is better than being dead, and again you have no proof any of the terrorists were malnourished.

That depends on who you ask, some don't agree that's why they take their life with pills etc rather than suffer years of torture.

BigLutz

Banned
People clearly do since it's always a topic up for discussion and it made up part of the reason why waterboarding was banned.

And those people make up a very tiny minority.
https://today.yougov.com/news/2014/04/08/poll-results-torture/

That depends on who you ask, some don't agree that's why they take their life with pills etc rather than suffer years of torture.

In which case they are looking for a short term solution to a problem that can be solved in the long term. Mind you many terrorists may wish to die so that they don't spill information and jeopardize operations in progress as well.

Teebu

In which case they are looking for a short term solution to a problem that can be solved in the long term. Mind you many terrorists may wish to die so that they don't spill information and jeopardize operations in progress as well.

I'll concede, there are a multitude of reasons and information is probably at the top of their list. I believe not being endured through years of suffering, regardless of how 'cushy' their life will be after 5,10,15 years, is high on the detainee's priority list.

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter is how the old saying goes.......

That's not an "old saying". It was a quote from former Attorney General Ramsey Clark. And his career was less than stellar.

What? You surprised I'm speaking out against a Democrat? Clark took things too far. He once said that the War on Terrorism was a War on Islam. He formed a committee whose goal was to impeach Bush and Cheney. (He had as much evidence of actual wrongdoing as the Tea Party has against Mr. Obama - zero.)

And most terrorists are not freedom fighters. In fact, they rarely have real goals at all. Some experts, such as Max Abrahms, have seriously argued that the term "terrorist without a cause" can be applied to most or all terrorists. It's remarkably common for a terrorist group's policy demands to contradict each other, or to change suddenly for no apparent reason - in particular, if the group's demands are actually met, they almost never disband, but instead switch to a new issue that may be completely unrelated. In several cases, leaders of major terrorist organizations have been unable to explain exactly what they're fighting for when directly asked. So why do people join terrorist groups, if it's not really about the cause? Apparently because they're looking to make friends. No, really. They consider it a "club" of some sort.

One could argue that the reason these groups are so wildly self-contradictory is because the leaders recruit people using little more than cultural prejudices and peer pressure to ensure that they'll be too fanatical to bother questioning their orders or listen to an outsider. End result: a handful of men can raise an army of servants ready to do whatever they're asked simply to fit in. It's like a grand, horrifying version of high school cliques.

Add in the fact that's its a whole lot easier to blame others and kill them than it is to actually run a country and keep your citizens from throwing you out. Terrorism is easier than running for political office or going to school and learning political science. Its taking the easy way out.

In the end, one thing drives the core of a group of terrorists: Chaos.