• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tge difference between blacking out and whiting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewtwo152

Not dead yet.
What is it? In Gen I it was 'RED is out of usable POKEMON! RED blacked out!'
But then in Gens II-VI it was 'GOLD is out of usable POKEMON! Gold whited out!'

Why'd they ever change it, huh? Just curious.

Kacho

You are next.
lol...
try lookng at the dictionary

tr.v. whit·ed, whit·ing, whites
1. Printing To create or leave blank spaces in (printed or illustrated matter). Often used with out.
2. Archaic
a. To whiten; whitewash.
b. To blanch.

and blanch means...
5. To cause to turn white or become pale.

now blackout...
black out
a. To lose consciousness or memory temporarily:

apparently nintendo have troube keeping up with the consistency of translation? ....

very nice catch. quite observant.

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
Actually, it was probably to prevent folks from saying that there was a racist comment in the games.

kirapwns

PS3?OverNLNEthousand
I never really got that too. I mean, I understood that Blacking out was losing consciousness, and how would you lose conscious by all your pokemon being KO'd, but yeah. o_O.

Maybe I was Blued out?

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
But now, you simply scurry away to the Pokemon center to heal your Pokemon, correct?

My imagination always ran rampant in unpleasant ways when I lost to the bad guys of the current game and blacked/whited out. "What happened to my character?!" D:

m190049

Local psychopath
Ironically...

In all the games it said you blacked out, your screen turn white.
In all the games it said you whited out, your screen turned black.

Weird huh?

Anyway...
They probably changed it because blacking out means you "fainted".
And having the trainer faint because he has no Pokemon... seems a bit excessive. And over dramatic.
Whiting out means like... "disappearing". In other words, the trainer decided to do an "exit stage left" and disappear from the scene. That makes more sense, does it not?

Last edited:

kirapwns

PS3?OverNLNEthousand
Ironically...

In all the games it said you blacked out, your screen turn white.
In all the games it said you whited out, your screen turned black.

Weird huh?

Anyway...
They probably changed it because blacking out means you "fainted".
And having the trainer faint because he has no Pokemon... seems a bit excessive. And over dramatic.
Whiting out means like... "disappearing". In other words, the trainer decided to do an "exit stage left" and disappear from the scene. That makes more sense, does it not?

You put it in a LOT easier explanation.
lol

porygonfan

And when pokemon "faint" they've actually been beat up or knocked out. The player should "faint" not the pokemon.

m190049

Local psychopath
You put it in a LOT easier explanation.
lol
Why thank you. =P

And when pokemon "faint" they've actually been beat up or knocked out. The player should "faint" not the pokemon.
When a person or animal gets knocked out from pain or injury, it can be said they "fainted".
They mean basically the same thing. Saying a Pokemon was knocked out is said often in the Anime and such.
In the games, there's also the term "It's a 1-hit KO!" when 1-hit KO moves, such as guillotine or sheer cold, connect.
KO is an acronym, which means Knock Out.
If you've played PBR, you may have heard the narrator say something along such as "Prinplup, was knocked out!".
The two terms are freely switchable.

Also, why would the trainer faint?
"My precious Pokemon fainted!"
*Does the classic putting hand over forehead and fainting motion*
I'd think they were being melodramatic... Than I'd probably call an ambulance... Although that's not the point.
That wouldn't really happen... The trainer would just return the Pokemon, and go to the Pokemon center.
In other words, disappearing from the scene, or whiting out.

Last edited:

kirapwns

PS3?OverNLNEthousand

When a pokemon runs out of HP in the games, they get Knocked Out, meaning they faint. Like you said, Faint is being Knocked out.

I wouldn't faint if all my pokemon got knocked out... I'd knock out the other trainer. >.>

Profesco

gone gently
Question answered! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.