• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thank You, Solgaleo! You are Our Nebby!! (998)

diakyu

Ahahahaha what is this nonsense about using the episode title not being representative of the episode's contents being evidenced this is rushed. I mean, I don't completely disagree about it being rushed but some of you are really reaching.

Anyways glad this is finally over and Kukui and Burnett are married. Should have started that way imo.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
They should have just been married from the start, Burnet's just on Akala like in the games. This was incredibly rushed and forced. I don't care for their ship in the slightest, if it was a Contest shipping wedding I'd be all hands on deck for that!
Also, that Pancake chick better stay away. I want Hau....

And if they try to pass Kukui off owning more Pokemon, that's just dumb. Cause they should have been there with Braviary.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Idk, I don't feel it's too rushed. Maybe a bit, but they had some teasing in prior episodes and I don't expect pokémon to really go the fluff-route and I'm not exactly the target audience. Most young kids don't really understand romance yet, and filling the show with slow fluffy buildup might have been more realistic, but I don't think kids are going to be interested in that. Kukui is after all a supporting character, he's not the character the kids identify with, they identify with Lillie, Ash, or the other kids. They don't want to see episodes filled with the old professor Kukui walking on the beach with Burnet. They want to see pokémon doing funny things, pokémon having cool battles, and the kids being cool and kind role models. And that means simplifying relationships and marriage a bit. Kukui and Burnet really like each other and are in love with each other, so Kukui offers a ring and they get married. It's a simple enough concept for children to understand, and I don't think it needs to be more fleshed out than that for the kind of show that pokémon is. Would it be appropriate like this for an adult show? No, but this isn't a show for adults. It's a show for children at the age of 7 or so.

Let's be honest, it's implied that at least some time passed between episode 54 and 55, during which Lillie didn't go to school yet because she was helping out her mother, and Kukui and Burnet spent a lot of time together off-screen during that time. I can say, yes, maybe they rushed into marriage quite fast, but it's never exactly stated how long Kukui and Burnet already knew each other, nor is it stated exactly how long the time skip between 54 and 55 was.

As for why Kukui and Burnet weren't already married at the start? I don't know, they could've taken that route. That'd imply that Burnet would also be around a lot in the earlier episodes, and my guess is that they didn't really have anything for her to do during that time, so they waited until the Aether arc where she'd also have more plot reasons to actually be there and have space to get to know her when we already know most other characters like Lillie, Mallow, etc. and have a cute wedding then.

As for Faba, Lusamine stated that he got demoted, he's now essentially Wicke's lackey, similar to what happened in USUM after Rainbow Rocket. I can't be too mad at it. Is it realistic to keep a guy like that employed after what he did? No, realistically he should end up in jail. But meh, this is a kids show that wants to promote tolerance and forgiveness, feelings of vengeance and revenge aren't to be encouraged. It's not like Jessie, James, and Meowth ever get jailed by officer Jenny either.

I do think that Lusamine, Wicke, and Faba asking the kids to join their efforts with the Ultra Beasts was a bit oddly timed. I don't think doing it during the wedding was very appropriate, I'm not sure why they put it there. I think they should've put it after the wedding was over.

Last edited:

VoltTacklingPika

Idk, I don't feel it's too rushed. Maybe a bit, but they had some teasing in prior episodes and I don't expect pokémon to really go the fluff-route and I'm not exactly the target audience. Most young kids don't really understand romance yet, and filling the show with slow fluffy buildup might have been more realistic, but I don't think kids are going to be interested in that. Kukui is after all a supporting character, he's not the character the kids identify with, they identify with Lillie, Ash, or the other kids. They don't want to see episodes filled with the old professor Kukui walking on the beach with Burnet. They want to see pokémon doing funny things, pokémon having cool battles, and the kids being cool and kind role models. And that means simplifying relationships and marriage a bit. Kukui and Burnet really like each other and are in love with each other, so Kukui offers a ring and they get married. It's a simple enough concept for children to understand, and I don't think it needs to be more fleshed out than that for the kind of show that pokémon is. Would it be appropriate like this for an adult show? No, but this isn't a show for adults. It's a show for children at the age of 7 or so.

Let's be honest, it's implied that at least some time passed between episode 54 and 55, during which Lillie didn't go to school yet because she was helping out her mother, and Kukui and Burnet spent a lot of time together off-screen during that time. I can say, yes, maybe they rushed into marriage quite fast, but it's never exactly stated how long Kukui and Burnet already knew each other, nor is it stated exactly how long the time skip between 54 and 55 was.

As for why Kukui and Burnet weren't already married at the start? I don't know, they could've taken that route. That'd imply that Burnet would also be around a lot in the earlier episodes, and my guess is that they didn't really have anything for her to do during that time, so they waited until the Aether arc where she'd also have more plot reasons to actually be there and have space to get to know her when we already know most other characters like Lillie, Mallow, etc. and have a cute wedding then.

As for Faba, Lusamine stated that he got demoted, he's now essentially Wicke's lackey, similar to what happened in USUM after Rainbow Rocket. I can't be too mad at it. Is it realistic to keep a guy like that employed after what he did? No, realistically he should end up in jail. But meh, this is a kids show that wants to promote tolerance and forgiveness, feelings of vengeance and revenge aren't to be encouraged. It's not like Jessie, James, and Meowth ever get jailed by officer Jenny either.

I do think that Lusamine, Wicke, and Faba asking the kids to join their efforts with the Ultra Beasts was a bit oddly timed. I don't think doing it during the wedding was very appropriate, I'm not sure why they put it there. I think they should've put it after the wedding was over.

Thank you for this post. I feel like some here have completely lost their sense of perspective and you've provided plenty of it.

Yes, by our adult standards the wedding is out of the blue. We know that a relationship goes through several more stages before it reaches marriage. But 10-year-old me would have watched this and thought "they love each other, so of course they got married!" because that was my idea of true love. Before things like dating and sex entered my brain, marriage was seen as the ultimate destination.

Added to that, this is not a romance show. It's a goofy kid's show about magical pets. It's one of those moments where you just go with the flow, and enjoy the fact that Ash Ketchum was just involved in something as intimate as a wedding.

Rajas

No, the 'Ultra Guardians' is anime only.

Its a group which Lusamine and 'AF' has created in order to combat threats that may fall on Alola, specifically because of the Ultra Wormhole or Ultra Beasts. Ash & Co. have been asked to join that group, which they have agreed to.
By the way, from how it was hinted (which i feel i was able to catch with my poor Japanese skills), i think there would be more members to this Ultra Guardians who would appear later on.

Also i feel that Looker might appear as well, to help out with cases relating to UB's, and possible work with the 'Ultra Guardians'.

If i am correct, Gladion was now officially planning to do the whole Island Challenge, just like Ash, and battle all Totem Pokemon and Kahuna's.

Also, the way he was talking about '10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt', i think its almost certain that the next time we see him, he would most likely have 'Lycanium Z'.

Same as the games.

Thanks for the clarification! Well Gladion is gonna beat Ash in the league then lmao!
The Faba thing is disappointing either way imo.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Thanks for the clarification! Well Gladion is gonna beat Ash in the league then lmao!

Gladion suffers from game rival syndrome. If anything, he'll probably be the main fight Ash wins (unless more rivals are introduced and Gladion gets the short end of the stick and fights an anime-only rival to get sacked early).

Rohanator

Exactly, seeing realistic romantic build up in Pokemon would be super boring, especially for kids, but seeing stuff like a confession scene, character's reactions to the news, the planning of the wedding and the even itself in fun Pokemon style? Amazing. Totally worth not having them be married from the start.

Can't really agree on Faba though, we've seen villains get arrested (or worse) countless times in the series, he should've been put down at least that much, the man was responsible for Lillie's trauma and actively tried to prevent her from recovering from it, and yet she acted like he didn't even need to apologize. I think they just copy pasted his end from the games without actually considering whether it made sense or not. In the games he didn't personally hurt anyone + with his constant remarks about advancing his career a demotion was the perfect punishment for him, while in the anime it wasn't really as much of a part of his personality so unless you played the games you don't get the irony. They could've even retained the forgiveness aspect by having him apologize to Lillie while he's being taken away by Jenny and her accept it, or something.

I kinda wonder if they're having him stick around so that he could betray them again in a potential Rainbow Rocket arc lol, if that's the case it's at least somewhat understandable.

Last edited:

Rajas

Gladion suffers from game rival syndrome. If anything, he'll probably be the main fight Ash wins (unless more rivals are introduced and Gladion gets the short end of the stick and fights an anime-only rival to get sacked early).

Currently, he's way stronger than Ash imo. 10000000 volt thunderbolt is all Ash got and as far as we know its a temp thing. Only other person I can see is Hau maybe? Maybe Guzma based on how they portray him as they are taking their own liberties in the anime.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Currently, he's way stronger than Ash imo. 10000000 volt thunderbolt is all Ash got and as far as we know its a temp thing. Only other person I can see is Hau maybe? Maybe Guzma based on how they portray him as they are taking their own liberties in the anime.

If Ash beats Gladion outside the league and before then, that will only devalue their rivalry.

And if the animators decide to randomly go all out with such fight if it happens.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
The arc was rushed, true. But isn't it the tendency of SM to do things in a hurry, move the plot rapidly and finish things with a burst of intensity? Like the Akala arc was done like this to. So has been the Aether arc. And so will probably the USUM arc, with Poipole already giving a glimpse of a appearance.

I don't know why people are complaining about it so much. This is how the natural pacing of SM is. If you're all expecting SM arcs to be as well written and well-paced like XY or DP, then you're setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

The reason why SM arcs are being paced so hurriedly? I think that the reason most probably is that: Gen 8 might/maybe come out this year.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Wow, what a disaster this so-called “anime” is becoming.

Not only was this episode a rubbish ending to a relatively badly written arc, but after all they went through with Nebby, it didn’t even get a proper farewell.

At least we saw the level of Mareanie’s affection for James, I suppose.. and they set up Gladion properly as the rival..

Evanibble

It's been said a few times already, but we truly have no idea how long Kukui and Burnet have known each other, so it makes no sense at all for people to assume that the wedding was rushed in any way. We have no information on how long they've known each other, liked each other, or even considered marriage as an option for their relationship. Plus, as some others have said, romance isn't a major part of the anime, and never has been. Really people, this shouldn't be controversial.

Also, i'll never understand people who make these arguments like "SM is so rushed it's the most rushed series so far" when we have no clue how long the SM anime will even last.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Is it just me, or that Ultra Guardian info that Faba showed Ash & Co. had a Outfit design which seems similar the Outfit design of URS (or is it similar to Ride Outfit?).
[IMG139]https://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/sunmoon/998/DP319.jpg[/IMG139]

Also, it does seem we would be soon seeing 'Beast Ball' in the anime as well, as Lusamine did ask the groups help to capture (was wrong before and thought she wanted them to fight them) the UB's that trespass into Alola, so that they can safely release them back to their own Ultra World.

Rajas

If Ash beats Gladion outside the league and before then, that will only devalue their rivalry.

And if the animators decide to randomly go all out with such fight if it happens.

I personally think Ash wouldn't beat him at all. They may surprise me but idk tbh.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Is it just me, or that Ultra Guardian info that Faba showed Ash & Co. had a Outfit design which seems similar the Outfit design of URS (or is it similar to Ride Outfit?).
[IMG139]https://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/sunmoon/998/DP319.jpg[/IMG139]

Also, it does seem we would be soon seeing 'Beast Ball' in the anime as well, as Lusamine did ask the groups help to capture (was wrong before and thought she wanted them to fight them) the UB's that trespass into Alola, so that they can safely release them back to their own Ultra World.

It's the Poke Ride's Riding Wear, not the Recon Squad.

Sulfurian

SM in it's entirety is one of the if not the most rushed regions in all of the pokemon anime...

Fits with gen 7 don't you think?

Anyway I hope guzzlord appears soon. To show that it's just a big baby who is always hungry but not really evil.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Pocket Monster: Sun & Moon has been breaking the franchise's rules where its production staff are allowed to. I imagine Series Director Tomiyasu Daiki and Head Writer Matsui Aya wanted to show Kukui and Burnett get married but were not allowed to depict their relationship as being anything but straightforward while also making sure to keep Satoshi involved, so it came out this way. Nevertheless, this was a fun episode that really felt refreshing. We never get to see weddings in Pokemon! I imagine the series won't be allowed to change too much, though. Burnett will probably return to working with Lusamine in the next episode.

Illusio

No words, only rage
A bit disappointed in this episode, but at least it implies Gladion will be a permanent rival and we'll see the rest of the UBs soon. Hopefully they'll use that for better plot development.

Last edited:

Henry's Journey

Wow, what a wonderful episode, one of my favorite of S&M so far, I really enjoyed Kukui x Burnet moments were so cute, gahhh. :D Gladion will now be facing island challenge, I'm really liking the interactions and personalities of everybody, it's so refreshing compared to past seasons.

About the Faba situation and complains, he got DEMOTED just like in the games, what people expected? throw him in jail forever? at least he asked for forgiveness.

Last edited: