• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

That feeling when you see your first shiny pokemon

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Oh, I remember my first shiny encounter, shiny kricketune. I had played through Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, and FireRed and LeafGreen, and had never gotten a shiny no matter how many times I restarted the game (my best friend had a shiny wurmple and I thought you could get it if you reset often enough). I was just going through the area between Pastoria and the mansion on Diamond when kricketune showed up, and I freaked out. I was so happy to finally get my long-awaited shiny. At least it didn't turn out to be a freak occurence when I later got a shiny psyduck on Pearl, and a shiny graveller on Platinum (and so on).

Inferno Vulpix

Despicably Average
My first shiny was a shiny Jigglypuff from the HG/SS Safari Zone. So my feelings were a brief rush of joy and happiness, followed by the haunting horror that I encountered it in the Safari Zone.

I caught it anyways, but it was terrifying. I threw a ball on turn 1, it broke out, and did nothing. I caught it on my second throw.

Cressy

My first shiny was a Zigzagoon...lol wasn't that great. and I saw my first shiny for gen 5 in W2. It died in one hit from a pokemon 5 lvls weaker...i was upset

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
I thought it was a Tentacool that wanted to stand out in the world.

I was young and thought it was glitch. Skipped right past it.

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Bidoof was my first. My little sister let me borrow Pearl so I could play a game on it so I restarted it and went through the game just playing it normally. And then I was training my Turtwig on route 102 when I ran into a Bidoof-but it was different-it sparkled. I was playing it in the car on the way back from my Cousin's house and at the time I didn't know what a shiny was but I new that this "sparkling Bidoof" was rare. So I think "I'll weaken it with Turtiwg" and use Tackle. Too late I realize that my Turtwig was level 7 and the Bidoof was level 2 so I knocked it out. Wasn't that sad until I found out what shinies were a year or so later.
~RaichuArcanine~​

afterlife

Wayward Cave. . . . . NOT!

I KO'd Shiny Gyarados back in my Silver version, and I had to wait until SoulSilver to capture it.

The first shiny I got was Zubat, in Diamond, it popped up while I was mistakenly looking for a Gible in the wrong place and I just kept battling Zubats until the green one appeared!

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
My first shiny was a purple Pupitar(Now a beautiful Tyranitar) that appeared while I was exploring the route with poketransfer.I could'nt believe it.I also got pokerus on the same file.Sadly I lost it,but at least I still have my T-tar.^-^

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
I was in the can when I found a shiny Snubull in Silver. I almost dropped my GBC in disbelief. Good times..

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I feel like jumping up and down, knowing I found something SUPER special! ^^ It fills me with glee once I catch one with a Poke ball and then save it. Brag Mode = Activated.

President People

Eat The Path
I don't remember my reaction exactly, but seeing a green Ekans in the original Silver version as a dumb kid, I probably thought it was a glitch at first.

I can tell you my reaction to shinies almost every other time, though:

[half-asleep while training]

*unfamiliar tinkling noise*

[opens a half-lidded eye]

"Hmm… Different color, yup. Wonder why…"

[eyes open wide in the realization that I'm an idiot]

"Hoo-hoo! It's a shiny!"

[runs to show everyone before I'd even caught the thing]

Good times. :p

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Mine was Crobat <3

Saw it whilst training a Combusken for Dex data in Victory Road of SoulSilver. I freaked out when Combusken BRN it D: I thought I was doomed, but I caught it ^^ nya~

OrcaCity

Expert Killer Whale
Besides that bellsprout, I've gotten one other shiny. I got a shiny Pidgey in Soul Silver. I was grinding my Vulpix at the time and seeing a shiny Pidgey was the last thing I expected. Luckily, I had Pokeballs with me and I caught it.
After my horrible Bellsprout experience, I ALWAYS bring Pokeballs with me no matter where I go.

Darenix

I'm still waiting. Been playing Pokemon games since Emerald, but I've still not encountered a shiny Pokemon that's not the red Gyarados in the Lake of Rage. I don't even use repels all that often.

Nyrholnen

My first shiny pokemon was a shiny relicanth(blue), i was looking for a one to do the regis event.
i was plaiyng pokemon emerald, and i accidentally caught rayquaza with ultra balls, and i used my master ball to catch the relicanth.

yaka17

My first shiny pokemon was a poliwag that i fished in mt silver in pokemon gold for gameboy color maaaaaaany years ago! :)

Espeon EX

On-and-Off User
Well, my first shiny pokemon was in my first pokemon game, FireRed. I was in Cinnibar Mansion, when i found a red ratticate. I was young, but my older cousins had trained me well in the knowledge of pokemon, so i caught it. *Time passes*Some time later I restarted the game profile so i could have a easier shot at beating the elite four with a different team.(to this day I have not beaten the kanto elite four) Now for my sisters tale. She was in some route in Emerald/Sapphire training her pokemon, and she encounters a shiny oddish. She FREAKS out, Weakens it and runs to the bag(mind you i think this was her first shiny), But there were no pokeballs. I think she was devastated.

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
I just stay speechless. I'm not a screaming type. Found my first while training in National Park, she's a shiny Pidgey, won't evolve her though.

Necro101

Well, my first and only shinny is the red gyarados. Well, I don't know how it feels to get your first shiny in the wild or through an egg. I hope it happens one day.

RAWK ON

Buuz

Smash Trainer
I was in the can when I found a shiny Snubull in Silver. I almost dropped my GBC in disbelief. Good times..

Hopefully you weren't about to drop it IN the can.

I remember the last shiny i caught being a Buneary on Black 2, about six or seven weeks ago. I immediately showed it to my sister, who got mad about the fact that she never captured a shiny, and this being my fifth shiny already. Not counting the Red Gyarados and shinies caught on roms. There was also this time i caught a shiny Geodude on Diamond while talking to my ex-girlfriend on the phone. I screamed my lungs out and she asked what the h**l was going on. When i explained i caught a shiny Geodude, an awkward silence interrupted our phone call... :p