• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

That feeling when you see your first shiny pokemon

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Is anyone else surprised by the sheer number of people who thought it was a glitch the first time around?
*raises hand*

For me, it was a Koffing I caught in the Burnt Tower in my old Silver. I was like, "Why is this Koffing blue?" and thought there was a rare "Blue Koffing" (just like the Red Gyarados) in Burnt Tower for the longest time. However, I eventually thought it was a glitch and deleted that game.

It wasn't until years later, after I got my Sapphire, that I learned what a shiny was, and boy was I upset when I looked up what a shiny Koffing looked like. xD

SkyeAce

My first wild shiny was a ratata, in the first part of grass from cherrygrove, in HG. I was still semi excited that I found it, despite it not being of much use to me. However forgot to save the game so I lost it.

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
My first shiny (barring events) was a shiny Kricketot. In the Battle Frontier.

I was tempted to throw my DS at the wall.

Razor Leafeon

The Shadow Remains Cast!
I remember like it was 4 years ago (oh wait it was). It was about 6:30 in the morning on Saturday, I was just training a magikarp near snowpoint, trying to get it to evolve when I saw a pink sneazel. My first reaction, after about 5 minutes of :0, was holy crap, my second reaction was wait... PINK. I mean just... wow. But shiny and shiny none the less, I ended up catching it.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
I found my first shiny in Ruby sometime in 2003 or 2004. I had restarted my game about 20 minutes prior and was on Route 103 when all of a sudden, a red sparkly Seedot appeared on my screen. I had no idea what shinies were at the time (I thought the red Gyarados was just an exclusive event thing, and didn't realize that other Pokemon could be shiny); so I didn't really know what to think. But I figured that the Seedot must have been special, so I decided to catch it. It's now a Nuzleaf, sitting somewhere on one of my Gen 3 games, assuming that I didn't save over that file at some point.

Since then, I've found nine other shinies between Gens 4 and 5. I only caught five of those, though.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Then in my Heartgold, I caught a female shiny Donphan, appropriately nicknamed Glimmer (quite the powerhouse of my team), and then a Fearow. I also ran into a shiny Kriketune in the Bug-Catching Contest, but failed to catch it...(it sucks too, I might've gotten a better prize if I had caught it)

The bad thing is, shinies aren't automatic wins. I caught my (now-traded) illumise in a SoulSilver contest, and she didn't even rank. I was ticked. -_-

Mighty Arceus493

Relentless.
In Pokemon Diamond, I was using the Pokeradar on route 204 and on the 3rd shot, I see some really sparkly grass on the other side of the grass patch but forgot where the other patches were so I had to be careful where I was walking. I got to the patch and I found a shiny Ralts, and I caught it asap. It's now a shiny Gardevoir. I also randomly met a shiny Jigglypuff in my SS at the worst place, the Safari Zone where it could have fled.

Darenix

After playing through Emerald, Diamond, Platinum, Soul Silver, White and White 2 I just found a shiny Sentret not a minute ago while replaying Soul Silver. I'd just come back to my house to save for the last time (I know, sappy) after catching Groudon.

I can now tell you what my feeling was: I was absolutely breathless. (I'd pretty much decided I was never going to see a shiny, so my feeling might have been amplified.)

He is named SHINY!!!!!

Mecha-Caterpie

Steel-Bug Type
That feel when first shiny is Psyduck and you evolve it and accidentally save the game when it is a slightly lighter blue golduck.

SpeedDeoxys

Am I wrong here?
Back in 2010 or 2011, when I lend Pokémon Battle Revolution from my friend, I was playing in the Sunset Colosseum. I could only play lend pokémon. I chose 3 pokémon and one them was a Gible. When the Gible comes out his pokéball, I saw shiny stars around the Gible and realized it was a shiny Gible. A SHINY Gible! Can you believe it??? IT'S SHINY!!!!!1111 This was my first shiny ever! Too bad I couldn't have it my team T.T

But this time... in 2013... I'll have a shiny Gible FOR REAL this time! I'll will have a shiny Gible on my Black 2 from the Black Skyscraper. Coming soon...

ice33333

As I haven't actually seen a wild or hatched shiny, even though I played through 4 games multiple times, I don't know, but I'd probably faint

ice33333

Back in 2010 or 2011, when I lend Pokémon Battle Revolution from my friend, I was playing in the Sunset Colosseum. I could only play lend pokémon. I chose 3 pokémon and one them was a Gible. When the Gible comes out his pokéball, I saw shiny stars around the Gible and realized it was a shiny Gible. A SHINY Gible! Can you believe it??? IT'S SHINY!!!!!1111 This was my first shiny ever! Too bad I couldn't have it my team T.T

But this time... in 2013... I'll have a shiny Gible FOR REAL this time! I'll will have a shiny Gible on my Black 2 from the Black Skyscraper. Coming soon...

My advice is do not evolve it to garchomp, the shiny is EXACTLY the same, look it up on serebii dex

chouenrouge

I remember my first shiny because it was kind of a funny situation.. I was playing Pearl, and trying to get a Buneary (which should have been easy), and kept running into Cascoons. After maybe twenty minutes of searching and only getting Cascoons, a SHINY Cascoon popped up. I was like, what the hell is this bright green thing, and why is it not a Buneary?!

StanTheStaraptor

The feeling I got when I found my first shiny was one of dread. It was a Poochyena, in the route above Oldale town, on the way to battle May. Of course, at this point in the game, you cannot have Pokéballs. There may have been tears.

It would take 7 years and thousands of hours of play time to find my second, a Mincinno on Route 9 in White. Because I was there to catch a Pawniard, I had plenty of Pokéballs. I nicknamed it Mini, EV trained it in Attack and Speed and evolved it, and it is now a staple in my random matchup team. Thank god it had Technician and a Jolly nature.

I don't know how I'd describe the feeling. It was bizarrely similar to the feeling when I found $300 in the gutter. Sheer excitement.

Now, in White 2, I have the shiny charm, and I wonder if the feeling will be the same.