• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

That Movie you Liked as a Kid; that Guy on the Internet Reviewed it

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Ah childhood; such an innocent time. Most importantly, we could sit through horrid movies and television shows without giving a damn. Did we care? No because we hadn't developed a taste yet and that's perfectly fine.

Now that we've aged, we've grown up to be mature and some of the media we liked as a kid; though we didn't recently watch them, we still cherished them. Then there's that guy on the Internet posting his reviews on that thing you loved as a kid. Yeah, that guy, with the glasses; he gave his review on it and mauled it to bits. You watched the review? Good. How do you feel now?

So yup, that's what this thread is about, people reviewing your old childhood favourites who end up giving such negative reception to and how you feel after. Does it have to be the Nostalgia Critic? No, I just slipped in that reference for the heck of it. It can be anything: video game, television show, book, movie. The review doesn't have to just be video format either or on the Internet for that matter, it can be typed up and even from a magazine. Anyways, go under your bed and cry nuts.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
For me, it was Digimon the Movie

Doug and JesuOtaku completely skewered it, but even afterwards I still love the movie to death and watch it whenever I need a pick me up. At some point I realized, even if some internet personality I like watching completely rips something I like a new one, it still doesn't affect how I feel about it. It's the same with Spoony with Final Fantasy XIII for me. Even though he absolutely hates the game, I still enjoy and I watch his reviews simply for his humor.

Some like to use the guise of "Guilty Pleasure" to like something that isn't too popular, but I don't like to hide behind that. I have no problems admitting that I like something that isn't necessarily deemed "popular".

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is when NC reviewed Pokémon: The First Movie. I feel that if he did it later on, he would've had more points to make on it, but that review, as negative as it was, still makes me giggle because it's true. I also liked what JewWario, Suede, and Linkara had to say on the first two Pokémon movies, and when Suede did the first two Pikachu shorts. And speaking of Linkara, I watch his videos without a great inkling on comic books, and I enjoy them immensely depending on what it is he's looking at (because some of them were just "meh" to me). Probably because I like his humor, and he reminds me of a highschool friend quite a lot.

Nostalgia Chick obviously doesn't like The Little Mermaid, and though she's made some good points on it, I still like the movie a lot. It's pretty much the movie I liked as much as Jurassic Park if not more as a kid. There was a reason I had a Little Mermaid-themed birthday party when I turned six. She even said she didn't like Dragonheart that much, even though I really do love the movie. Watched it a lot as a kid, too. There are loads more, but I'm too tired to think of anymore at the moment. I just keep reminding myself that these reviews are more opinion-based even though Doug has knowledge on movie-making, so he will point out technical mistakes that we never noticed, and I like those little tidbits (well I'm sure all of them on the site have some basic knowledge on film-making). So as biased as they may sound at times, it's all for entertainment, and as long as I'm laughing/being entertained, I don't care what they say about my favorite movies/shows. I will continue to watch and enjoy them.

Though I can't watch the Digimon movie anymore after I found out (on my own before the review) that the movie was three movies put together, and connected rather badly. And that the dub really made it... cheesy. Especially the last story. Ugh... at least the first two keep my interest and are more action-packed. The last one with Willis is just bad. And I never watched Angela Anaconda prior to the Digimon Movie, so I never did like it, even though I know people who have watched the actual show didn't mind it. It just felt too tacked on. I think I saw this in theaters, but my memory's too hazy. I mean we had to have seen it, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten it when it came out on VHS. Guess it really is that forgettable a movie, or something.

Either way, Nostalgia Critic and JesuOtaku's co-op review of it was great.

Oh, speaking of JesuOtaku, I liked what she said about Higurashi when she reviewed it before joining TGWTG. I kinda agree with her about the dub, but for the most part, I tend to not care about the dub as long as the atmosphere/emotions still made it through, which it did with Higurashi anyway. But yeah, she did give the anime a good review, and that helped strengthen my love for Higurashi a little more. It was also because of JesuOtaku that I watched Azumanga Daioh.

So yeah. *beat* I like watching reviews. I tend to listen to them as I draw more than I do watching, honestly. I like listening to people just talk/read something out-loud as long as they have the voice for it. (I can't watch Cry's videos because I can't stand his voice. Ruined To the Moon for me.)

It really doesn't affect me in all honesty. Most of these critics like Nostalgia Critic for example are here for entertainment and they bring up good points that people should consider but if people enjoy a movie, you shouldn't let the negative reception get to you. Honestly, I still love the first Pokémon movie even after all the negative reviews it got from the internet. I don't think it's the best movie. That title goes to Pokémon Movie 3 or even the best Pokémon event starring Mewtwo. That title would go to Mewtwo Returns but I think there is a message in there that we could all learn from. Pokémon fight as a sport but when it comes to fighting and starting a war to prove a point or because you don't like how you're treated, then that's when Pokémon aren't fighting like they are supposed to. Even the last scene where Ash dies and comes back to life still chokes me up. The music playing there ("The Tears of Life") is one of the best scores in Pokémon period. And I think it is a beautifully well done scene. Yeah, they forget the events of the movie. And a YouTube reviewer called InsaneGamFreak said that was a flaw but they do meet Mewtwo again and are able to remember their second meeting with him and it is even implied he restored their memories from the first movie. The movie did really drag in parts though and took awhile to really start getting good. But once it got good, it got really good. Like I said, it is not the best Pokémon movie or the best Pokémon related show with Mewtwo in my opinion but I don't let internet critics influence my opinion.

Nostalgia Chick obviously doesn't like The Little Mermaid, and though she's made some good points on it, I still like the movie a lot. It's pretty much the movie I liked as much as Jurassic Park if not more as a kid. There was a reason I had a Little Mermaid-themed birthday party when I turned six. She even said she didn't like Dragonheart that much, even though I really do love the movie. Watched it a lot as a kid, too. There are loads more, but I'm too tired to think of anymore at the moment. I just keep reminding myself that these reviews are more opinion-based even though Doug has knowledge on movie-making, so he will point out technical mistakes that we never noticed, and I like those little tidbits (well I'm sure all of them on the site have some basic knowledge on film-making). So as biased as they may sound at times, it's all for entertainment, and as long as I'm laughing/being entertained, I don't care what they say about my favorite movies/shows. I will continue to watch and enjoy them.

This is a good example too. I watched The Little Mermaid recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, I get why Nostalgia Chick doesn't like it but her problems with the movie didn't bother me. I thought it was an extremely entertaining film with great characters especially Ariel, King Triton, Sebastian, and the villain Ursula and great songs. A really fun ride.

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I sometimes read or watch reviews of movies, and I've actually got a certain bunch of movies I've actively decided not to look at reviews on so as not to wreck the nostalgia (these were in fact from the blissful days of a little over four years ago. Works from my childhood actually tend to be fair game). I find that a lot of the time if I find a review that treats a work of fiction I like negatively, I'll ignore it. I do like Pixar, and I didn't stop liking A Bug's Life and Monsters Inc. when Doug kind of panned them. His review on Toy Story 3 probably did change my mind a bit, but maybe that's because I've heard other people I know say it wasn't their favourite, and perhaps hearing the negative responses, part of me wondered if I only thought I liked it due to the glowing response from the masses.

I gave his review of the Pokémon movie a miss because I find that reviews of Pokémon movies from non-fans just tends to bash the franchise in general, making them generally not fun. However, I enjoyed the reviews by Suede et al to be really enjoyable, because it's not like Pokémon fans don't have their own bones to pick with the way the franchise rolls, and the tone was relatively affectionate and generally relatable (also, "Suede, wanna play chess?" Best.).

I tend to find Nostalgia Chick's reviews seem to affect me the most. I remember really liking The Lorax movie in theatres, but then seeing N. Chick's review and then my suggestibility to pretty much cause me to agree with her. Then again, part of me has things about the movie I still honestly think was done well, and I do realize that part of it has to do with experience, as unlike Lindsay, I hadn't seen that studio's rendition of Horton Hears A Who or Despicable Me, which had obviously affected her judgement. As for The Little Mermaid, part of me was kind of made to feel as if I should feel terrible for ever liking it. But now with that on my mind, I've been trying to think back to remember if I actually did like the movie and my recollection seems kind of skewed now. Part of me actually remembers finding it scary and being reluctant to watch it a few times as a kid. If anything, that review made me like the second movie even more, as that one didn't have the kind of misogynistic themes Lindsay put the first one down for.

Having said that, I should probably give a mention to Brave, which was affected by reviews on two fronts. I saw Brave after seeing N. Chick pan The Little Mermaid, so I kind of liked Brave for being pretty much a more feminist-friendly version of the same plot, but then I saw Doug's review on it, and he gave this interpretation of Merida as something of a faux action girl that I kind of can't unsee. Though I still can't say I have a problem with its similarities to other movies. If Brother Bear was rock bottom the first time, it's only got room to go up, right?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
You know, I wonder what gets more slack: negative reviews of nostalgic movies, or negative reviews of pop music? I've noticed that Todd in the Shadows doesn't really get a lot of negative feedback for what he says in his reviews, and he tends to shred a lot of the songs he reviews apart. Though of course, he goes into detail about the lyrics and the song itself, so he does back up his reasons. And though I do agree with him a lot because I truly believe there's not very many good songs out there these days anyway (though you could say the same for all of the oldies music too), I just have to wonder about whether he makes really good points or not. It's obvious he puts a lot of research into these reviews, but I'm actually not really sure if he has any biased views about these songs.

Anymore thoughts on music reviews such as Todd in the Shadows? I'm curious to know.

lollygag

Banned
I was pissed off that the Nostalgia Critic talked down on Pokemon, as if its core fandom really consists of 6-year-olds. I know the anime can be corny, but I don't get how he could be that ignorant of the Pokemon fandom. Still, you can't expect someone born in 1981 to like Pokemon. His attitude towards the Nicktoons was pretty bad too. While I do agree that the Doug movie was awful, the actual show wasn't bad. I can sympathize with him being teased for it, but still... And surprisingly, he criticized Hey Arnold, which is a cult classic that actually got a lot of crap past the radar. I don't think you should put Hey Arnold or the Pokemon movies in the same category as Captain N: The Game Master, A Troll in Central Park, or either of the Titanic animated movies.

I do agree with him on Captain N though, since it is very laughable at how little the people must have known about video games. And he brings up valid points about why some of these movies are unlikable, like how he said that Little Monsters is very mean-spirited or how a lot of 80s cartoons only existed to sell toys. That's how I usually criticize movies - I often object to the morality in movies and TV shows I don't like. I can tell you how much I hate a lot of TV shows because they show Italian-Americans in an unflattering light, like Jersey Shore and Mad Men.

While I do like the Nostalgia Critic, I don't really like the Nostalgia Chick. I find her to be a little bit of a feminazi. She acts like girls who watch Disney Princess movies will grow up to be shallow and spoiled. To me, she's one of those women who sneers at any woman who shows interest in anything feminine. Look up the trope "real women don't wear dresses" - the Nostalgia Chick fits it perfectly.

Thecatteam

Regarding Todd in the Shadows, his reviews are either songs he thinks are bad or songs he gets a lot of requests for. He genuinely likes pop music, and sometimes has a lot of good things to say about a song (see his "Top ten favorites" lists, his "Somebody I Used to Know"/"We are Young" review, and in some part his "We are Never Ever Getting Back Together" review). And sometimes he's "meh" about a song, like his "Gangnam Style" review. I like Todd because of this--he's not always negative, and manages to express his opinion without being too boring. His reviews are "biased" because it's always his opinion. And it's pretty funny when he's agonizing about why exactly he likes so many Katy Perry songs when he knows they're bad.

Also, The Review Must Go On. Nostalgia Critic's back!

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Ah childhood; such an innocent time. Most importantly, we could sit through horrid movies and television shows without giving a damn. Did we care? No because we hadn't developed a taste yet and that's perfectly fine.

Now that we've aged, we've grown up to be mature and some of the media we liked as a kid; though we didn't recently watch them, we still cherished them. Then there's that guy on the Internet posting his reviews on that thing you loved as a kid. Yeah, that guy, with the glasses; he gave his review on it and mauled it to bits. You watched the review? Good. How do you feel now?

So yup, that's what this thread is about, people reviewing your old childhood favourites who end up giving such negative reception to and how you feel after. Does it have to be the Nostalgia Critic? No, I just slipped in that reference for the heck of it. It can be anything: video game, television show, book, movie. The review doesn't have to just be video format either or on the Internet for that matter, it can be typed up and even from a magazine. Anyways, go under your bed and cry nuts.

Why would I care if some random guy on the internet gave a movie I like as a kid a "negative review", in fact why should anyone care?

I also find it funny how you used the "Nostalgia Critic" as a reference when the guy isn't a reviewer, making his point null and void.

I was pissed off that the Nostalgia Critic talked down on Pokemon, as if its core fandom really consists of 6-year-olds. I know the anime can be corny, but I don't get how he could be that ignorant of the Pokemon fandom. Still, you can't expect someone born in 1981 to like Pokemon.

That's because Doug Walker puts very little effort into his research or just doesn't bother.

His attitude towards the Nicktoons was pretty bad too. While I do agree that the Doug movie was awful, the actual show wasn't bad. I can sympathize with him being teased for it, but still...

And that's one of the problems I have with "Nostalgia Critic" it is a character that is played by Doug Walker, thus is influence by his opinions.

And surprisingly, he criticized Hey Arnold, which is a cult classic that actually got a lot of crap past the radar. I don't think you should put Hey Arnold or the Pokemon movies in the same category as Captain N: The Game Master, A Troll in Central Park, or either of the Titanic animated movies.

Again it's is the result of his opinion since he is looking at the show from an adult eyes.

Also, The Review Must Go On. Nostalgia Critic's back!

Did you honestly think that he was actuality stopping the "Nostalgia Critic"? Doug Walker has no talent, he got lucky with the Nostalgia Critic. It also didn't help that his fan base had a very loud vocal voice which force Doug to bring back the "Nostalgia Critic."

So much for not wanting to run the character into the ground... oh wait he already did that ages ago.

Last edited:

matt0044

It also didn't help that his fan base is well kinda dumb and had a very loud vocal voice which force Doug to bring back the "Nostalgia Critic."

Except he wasn't forced by this (entirely) but because he genuinely felt there was more to do.

Also you might not find him "talented" but I honestly find NC entertaining despite his faults and Doug Walker in real life I find to actually be a pretty cool guy. Especially on his videos outside of NC, Bum, Ask That Guy, etc. I don't like how you look down on others for liking something you don't.

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I thought the Nostalgia Critic only came back because that new series he was making tanked pretty badly, and the site is down heavily in visitors ever since he stopped? That's the problem with being an "internet celebrity", it's to flash in the pan to really be steady.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Except he wasn't forced by this (entirely)

No he was force to do since his successor show didn't go down with well with the fan base and kept demanding for more Nostalgia Critic.

but because he genuinely felt there was more to do.

You can't honestly believe that rubbish, if he felt that there was more do then why would he retired the character or remove 10-years old rules that he had set up.

Doug realised that he had no talent and went back to doing the only thing that he felt he was good at, which was the "Nostalgia Critic" and even then the magic was wearing off.

He won't be lasting for much longer.

matt0044

I thought the Nostalgia Critic only came back because that new series he was making tanked pretty badly, and the site is down heavily in visitors ever since he stopped?

No, that's not what happened. If you watched "The Review Must Go On" you'll see that it was primarily his own decision with new ideas for NC coming to mind. Demo Reel hadn't even last long to "tank" at all and I don't the site has down on visitors. Those were likely rumors due to upset fans and nothing more.

You can't honestly believe that rubbish, if he felt that there was more do then why would he retired the character or remove 10-years old rules that he had set up.

Doug realised that he had no talent and went back to doing the only thing that he felt he was good at, which was the "Nostalgia Critic" and even then the magic was wearing off.

He won't be lasting for much longer.

*sigh* Okay, look I get that you dislike NC and you're free to do so. But do you have to be a dick about it?

1. Yes, I believe that "rubbish" because it's true and he retire the character at first because he felt burnt out and after a while, he got new ideas for NC. He removed that limit because well, he felt like it I guess.

2. Doug doesn't "realize he has no talent" and you're just making hasty assumptions. Again, he brought NC back because he feels that he ended that show too soon. If you feel that he has "no talent" then that's your opinion. Just don't come down on people who still enjoy him for whatever reasons.

3. He will. He certainly will.

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
No, that's not what happened. If you watched "The Review Must Go On" you'll see that it was primarily his own decision with new ideas for NC coming to mind. Demo Reel hadn't even last long to "tank" at all and I don't the site has down on visitors. Those were likely rumors due to upset fans and nothing more.

A show failing so miserably that it doesn't even get a second episode shown counts as tanking. And the NC was the biggest draw of the site, everyone else is almost an afterthought. So without him the site lacking visitors really isn't that surprising. And of course he would say that, you honestly think he would say "Sorry guys, the way for me to make the most money is through the NC, that's why I'm coming back, because everything else wouldn't work"?

matt0044

A show failing so miserably that it doesn't even get a second episode shown counts as tanking. And the NC was the biggest draw of the site, everyone else is almost an afterthought. So without him the site lacking visitors really isn't that surprising. And of course he would say that, you honestly think he would say "Sorry guys, the way for me to make the most money is through the NC, that's why I'm coming back, because everything else wouldn't work"?

There was more than one episode of Demo Reel and the other reviewers are doing quite well.

And how do you know the site's lacking visitors?

bobjr

Staff member
There was more than one episode of Demo Reel and the other reviewers are doing quite well.

And how do you know the site's lacking visitors?

There were more, but the imaged was already tarnished by the first awful episode. They even went out of their way to change a good amount, and while it made the show better, it did nothing to the reputation.

And site visitors dropping is just easy Occam's Razor, you take away the big act and no one shows up for the smaller ones. Combine that with just renting an actual studio and an obvious money problem occurs, especially when you consider as the NC he didn't make a huge amount as it is.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!

I liked the Nightmare Before Christmas, and Nostalgia Critic must have liked it if he frequently referenced it. :)

matt0044

There were more, but the imaged was already tarnished by the first awful episode. They even went out of their way to change a good amount, and while it made the show better, it did nothing to the reputation.

And site visitors dropping is just easy Occam's Razor, you take away the big act and no one shows up for the smaller ones. Combine that with just renting an actual studio and an obvious money problem occurs, especially when you consider as the NC he didn't make a huge amount as it is.

I could go on about this but I give up. Clearly I'm not going to convince you of anything and vice versa so let's call it quits. Same to you, blazeboy.

bobjr

Staff member
There's really no debate here. There's no way he just woke up one day and felt "Boy, after having a good run I am returning to this because I have a ton of new ideas and nothing else". It probably involved looking at a lot of numbers and stats, and him coming to the conclusion "The best way to fix this is if I return as the NC, because none of the newer ideas are working" I'm not saying he doesn't enjoy it, but to suggest that he's just doing this just for the fun of it is laughable.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
does it really matter it's not even the point of the thread

i see he reviewed flubber which i saw as a kid but i find the NC videos tragically unfunny so i can not really voice any further opinion, sorry OP