• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

That\'s So Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark rift

I agree with you up to a point, but languages are always changing, which can lead to multiple uses for words. I know plenty of people who use gay in that context, but are not homophobic.
You could also say calling people 'retards' is insulting to mentally retarded people too, but people don't jump on the band wagon as much about that.

natie

Mr. F
Wow man, this topic is so ghey! :O

'Gay' has multiple meanings, btw. So, if someone tells you he's gay, don't be afraid of getting raped in the butt, because he might just as well be happy.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Gay.

But in all seriousness, despite the fact that it's derogatory it's not like people are going to just stop saying it unless a LARGE SCALE Movement goes down. Highly doubt it though.

catzeye

Writer's Block
I don't like saying "That's gay" because it does sound offensive, however the word gay has many uses. A lot of people will keep on using the term anyways.

It's just like how some people use the N-word to refer to someone as their brother/friend/cousin. It's still highly offensive (and I hate when people use it) but people use it anyways.

murkrowrob

Yamask Hugger x_x
Wow man, this topic is so ghey! :O

'Gay' has multiple meanings, btw. So, if someone tells you he's gay, don't be afraid of getting raped in the butt, because he might just as well be happy.

^ This

Natie has got it right without insulting someone for once..... Maybe.

Gay is happy. Everytime I hear anyone over the age of 50 say the word, they use it in a happy context.
It depends who you are as to how you take it. "That's gay" is a common expression meaning "that sucks" or "that's bull****" etc. Some people will take it personally, like I do because loads of people call me gay (I'm straight). Others will just use it because they can and not mean it homophobically in any way, shape or form.
There will always be homophobes. just be thankful you won't instantly get killed (as much) if you're gay than if you were gay a long time ago.

The Flood

Banned
Imbeciles, you know fair well what kind of gay we are talking about here. No person in his/her right mind would use \"that\'s so happy\" in a derogatory context.

natie

Mr. F

Penguinist Trainer

Imbeciles, you know fair well what kind of gay we are talking about here. No person in his/her right mind would use \"that\'s so happy\" in a derogatory context.

well thats the problem... because we dont know what context the person is using it. the only person who would know the context is the person who is actually saying it.

people can guess what context the speaker is using, but ultimately they will only be guessing.

when a word can have multiple meanings, its context can mean many things.

–adjective
1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
4. licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.
5. homosexual.
6. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.

–noun
7. a homosexual person, esp. a male.

–adverb
8. in a gay manner.

the problem with slang is that anyone can use it and pick it up without knowing the meaning of the words behind it. as it has already been said, the N-word has been used as a derogatory term towards black people, but it has also been used as a term of endearment among close friends. Truthfully though, the N-word is just slang for Negro which in turn means black.

Personally though, I could care less about how people want to use the word gay. I'm not offended by it, and neither are my gay friends. The only people who get bothered by the use of slang are the people who actually listen to it.

and I hate that Wanda Sykes commercial where she harps on a bunch of kids for using the word gay. Just because someone uses the word gay, doesnt mean they are talking about every gay person in the room. People should honestly just mind there own business.

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
For some reason, I think bringing up the point that gay shouldn't be used as a derogatory term isn't going to bring about intellectual conversation. You might as well post that "You shouldn't call people retarded." We all know that, there's no point in making a thread about it.

natie

Mr. F
I lol'd, then I serious'd.

Penguinist Trainer

You guys are really dumb. Nobody uses the word gay in its archaic meaning anymore.

PROVE IT...

Just because the only people you might hang around with are between the ages 9-19, doesn't mean you know how every single person in the world speaks... especially when some of the oldest people are hitting the 100 year mark.

There is nothing homophobic about using the word gay.

In addition to its original and continuing senses of “merry, lively” and “bright or showy,” gay has had various senses dealing with sexual conduct since the 17th century. A gay woman was a prostitute, a gay man a womanizer, a gay house a brothel. This sexual world included homosexuals too, and gay as an adjective meaning “homosexual” goes back at least to the early 1900s. After World War II, as social attitudes toward sexuality began to change, gay was applied openly by homosexuals to themselves, first as an adjective and later as a noun. Today, the noun often designates only a male homosexual: gays and lesbians. The word has ceased to be slang and is not used disparagingly. Homosexual as a noun is sometimes used only in reference to a male.

There you go. The word has existed long before homosexuals ever attributed it to themselves. So next time you want to do a little rant on the way other people talk, maybe you should do your own research first.

murkrowrob

Yamask Hugger x_x
You guys are really dumb. Nobody uses the word gay in its archaic meaning anymore.

You're saying we're all dumb for talking about gay's other meanings. You could say dumb is derogatory as dumb also means mute or can't talk. Kind of hypocritical, eh?

When did I ever insult someone? :/

Fine, not insult, but indirectly offending. Except here:

I talk that way to everyone I consider inferior to me.

Then you should have said so in the first place, rather than make a couple of totally incoherent posts.

Besides, as you are posting this, do you not realise that it is simply impossible for a higher being to actually exist? Because if it did, it must have an IQ of under 10.

Last edited:

Dattebayo

Banned
The only way to stop people from misusing the word "gay" is to wait for a decade where it's no longer a used slang since every decade has its own slang words (Ex: Bootlegger in the 20's), unless the use of the word "Gay" isn't like those dead slangs and will be stuck as an overused slang for decades to come.

Dattebayo

Banned
Wow, I didn\'t know SPPf had such homophobic users.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm against the use of the word, but I soon found that letting the slang die in the next decade is the only way to stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.