• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 1st & 2nd Generation Games Rules, FAQ and Help Thread

For team members and move advice, here are my recommendations:
-Jolteon
Jolteon is quite literally the best Electric-type in the game excluding legendaries, with a high crit rate and good special. While yes, it does require you to teach it Thunderbolt, you have other options to teach your Pokemon Electric-type moves. It also gets access to Pin-Missile and Double Kick, and while its attack isn't decent, this allows it to somewhat deal with Rock/Ground-types and Psychic-types that would wall it. Also, Double Team.
-Starmie
Starmie already has two great STABs, giving it Surf/Psychic allows it to hit any Pokemon, and it also has some decent survivability with Recover. Further giving Ice-Beam would give it great coverage.
-Dugtrio
Having access to great STAB moves by level-up while also freeing up some TMs is vital, something that Aerodactyl does not really have, and it also learns Rock-type coverage and a move that would get a crit 100% of the time (Slash).
-Dragonite
Dragonite is quite decent, getting access to Hyper Beam by level up, Fire Blast/Thunder/Blizzard by TMs, Fly for STAB and a valuable status move, Thunder Wave. It also heavily abuses Wrap due to it learning Agility, allowing it to sweep entire teams given you don't miss by Wrap spam. I'd recommend using Agility/Wrap, Hyper Beam and then one of the aforementioned elemental moves (probably Fire Blast as this team needs a Fire-type or Fire-type coverage).
-Snorlax
This thing isn't just a tank. Snorlax is a behemoth; having a massive attack stat and Amnesia to round out its less-than-stellar special, it can tank a lot of moves and dish out punishment in return. It also learns Body Slam/Hyper Beam by level-up, can use the EQ TM you'll save by using Dugtrio, and other factors. It also learns Blizzard, Solar Beam and other decent special moves to abuse with Amnesia.
-Replace Hitmonlee/Machoke. I'd recommend a decent Grass-type such as Venusaur., or use Primeape.
For Venusaur, it can easily abuse Toxic + Leech Seed, allowing both DoT's to exponentially grow and do massive damage. Venusaur also gets STAB Razor Leaf, which has an insanely high crit chance and will crit a majority of the time. The other move could be something like Mega Drain or Body Slam. Primeape is a better option due to it having high speed and attack, is a potential recipient of the EQ TM, gets access to Karate Chop (just like Slash/Razor Leaf, but weaker than Slash) and can use Thrash.

Hopefully that helps.

This helps a lot, it's the perfect answer i was looking for, thank you! Do you still think it's worth it to teach Jolteon thunder bolt or should i just stick with thunder? I like double kick but I'm a little confused with double team and agility. Which one is better? I know double team increases evade which makes a Pokemon miss. But agility seems to allow you to attack twice. Really hard to decide between the the two.

Snorlax is nice and I'll stick with him. I like your tip with Dugtrio and saving the earthquake TM for Snorlax.

Just one last question please! I kind of have a problem but i wanted your expert opinion. I'm doing a little project where I'm watching the Pokemon anime and playing Pokemon Yellow at the same time. I wanted to have the same 6 pokemon that Ash has in the anime to train but when i beat the Elite Four I will make a completely new team. The team we have been discussing so far. Is it worth it to to make a new team after the elite four even though I can only use TM's once? Will I regret this decision or should i just train the pokemon we talked about from the beginning of my playthough. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

-Cheers

Thepowaofhax

This helps a lot, it's the perfect answer i was looking for, thank you! Do you still think it's worth it to teach Jolteon thunder bolt or should i just stick with thunder? I like double kick but I'm a little confused with double team and agility. Which one is better? I know double team increases evade which makes a Pokemon miss. But agility seems to allow you to attack twice. Really hard to decide between the the two.

Snorlax is nice and I'll stick with him. I like your tip with Dugtrio and saving the earthquake TM for Snorlax.

Just one last question please! I kind of have a problem but i wanted your expert opinion. I'm doing a little project where I'm watching the Pokemon anime and playing Pokemon Yellow at the same time. I wanted to have the same 6 pokemon that Ash has in the anime to train but when i beat the Elite Four I will make a completely new team. The team we have been discussing so far. Is it worth it to to make a new team after the elite four even though I can only use TM's once? Will I regret this decision or should i just train the pokemon we talked about from the beginning of my playthough. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

-Cheers
For Jolteon, it's best to let it have Thunderbolt, as Thunder is mildly inaccurate and it does learn it naturally. I recommended Double Team on Jolteon because it does help it sweep teams, due to it being unable to be hit. I also recommended Agility for Dragonite, not Jolteon, because Dragonite with Agility and Wrap can legit sweep entire teams and was used frequently in Gen 1 competitive battling. Agility does not allow you to attack twice, it just makes you faster.

Also, for your second question, I do not think it is worth it unless you can dupe TMs in Yellow, which is hard to due since you have to use the Mew glitch in Yellow to summon a Missingno. and hope it doesn't crash your game (due to how it works in Yellow; in Yellow, it causes unknown OP codes).

Last edited:
For Jolteon, it's best to let it have Thunderbolt, as Thunder is mildly inaccurate and it does learn it naturally. I recommended Double Team on Jolteon because it does help it sweep teams, due to it being unable to be hit. I also recommended Agility for Dragonite, not Jolteon, because Dragonite with Agility and Wrap can legit sweep entire teams and was used frequently in Gen 1 competitive battling. Agility does not allow you to attack twice, it just makes you faster.

Also, for your second question, I do not think it is worth it unless you can dupe TMs in Yellow, which is hard to due since you have to use the Mew glitch in Yellow to summon a Missingno. and hope it doesn't crash your game (due to how it works in Yellow; in Yellow, it causes unknown OP codes).

That's so cool, I never thought a low powered move like wrap could be so useful when paired with Agility. I love it when my opinion of something is changed so drastically. I'm so pleasantly surprised. Hehe Thanks!

Thepowaofhax

That's so cool, I never thought a low powered move like wrap could be so useful when paired with Agility. I love it when my opinion of something is changed so drastically. I'm so pleasantly surprised. Hehe Thanks!
Well, Wrap in Gen 1 isn't just a low-power move. It makes your opponent unable to attack during the duration. Being to outspeed everything and stunlock your opponent is pretty OP.

AshLookalikeCasey

Red or FireRed?

Hey everyone! This is Casey, the famous Ash-lookalike! I wanted to get everyone's input on an issue I'm trying to deal with. But first I want to say that, while this thread is part of the 1st & 2nd Generation Games thread, I will "kinda" be mentioning the other Gens as well as the new Pokemon Generations anime. But the main subject for this thread IS on the Gen 1 games, and though FireRed was made during Gen 3, it is a remake of the classic Gen 1 Red.

After watching the first episode of the new mini YouTube series, Pokemon Generations: The Adventure, a lot of old-school memories and feelings have been swirling all around in me. The start of the episode took us back to the intro and some game-play to Pokemon Red Version, then we get a montage of the Trainer and his Pikachu traversing from Kanto to all the other regions. Seeing that episode made me want to start all over again from Kanto all the way to Kalos.

So here's my issue. I want to replay Pokemon Red Version on the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console and then take my Pokemon I battled with over to Pokemon Bank and then to Sun/Moon. However, I also want to replay Pokemon FireRed Version, then take all my Pokemon with me as I replay all the other Gen games so as if they are with me are my long journey. I mean I know I couldn't transfer them until AFTER I beat each game, but you get what I mean.

So I need everyone's input on this matter. Do I go with playing Pokemon Red and disregard all the other games? Or do I go with playing Pokemon FireRed and take my Pokemon through all the other games with me? Everyone's thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

BCVM22

If you have a working Fire Red cartridge, play that.

If you don't, the odds of getting a legitimate, working copy are slim and the process fraught with mortal peril, so play Red on the 3DS Virtual Console. You may wish to do this anyway - it will be a considerably easier process of importing your Pokémon to Sun & Moon, with one, self-contained step involving the two games as opposed to four steps requiring five (!) different games and a second DS/3DS system.

Megapup

Odd Egg in Crystal

Okay So now I am trying to get a pichu from that egg but I have been noticing that the pokemon that hatch that have a chance to be male are always female, are every pokemon that hatches from it going to be female?

Elite4woolfy

✽✽✽✽✽✽
I have a question about my Gold version: Why does it keep crashing? It's not the battery, I replaced it about a year ago; it saves perfectly fine. It just keeps crashing. Like I'll be in a battle and the screen just turns random colors. Is it my game? I'm playing it on a GBASP.

Last edited:

Houka

Old carts do that along with them be dirty or not connected well. Usual means the connections don't work well or might be damage.

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
Gen 2 breeding question, inheriting moves

Hi, sorry for making a thread for this, but I need some help because I can't understand how this works.

I'm playing Crystal, and trying to breed a female Eevee with a male Snubbull. Both are compatible, they're laying eggs. Both know Bite, which is a level-up move for Eevee, and Snubbull knows Charm, which is an egg move.

According to all websites, if both parents know a level-up move of the baby, it will hatch knowing it. However, the eevee offspring only know Tackle, Tail Whip and Charm. Why is this? I don't get it.

dsguy411

Virtual Console Cable Club Loading Issue

I tired trading between my Red and Yellow VC games but the Cable Club won't let me connect for some reason. If I try to invite a player with one 3DS the other will have the loading icon but the loading won't finish. I made sure both 3DSs are up to date but I keep having the problem. Is there any way I can fix this or am I doomed to never trade ever again?

I also like to add that I abused the Mew Glitch on Red and traded it over to Blue at one point. Could that be the reason why I can't connect to the Cable Club anymore?

I seriously need to know why this problem is happening. I never had an issue like this pre-Pokemon Bank update. I could trade just fine but after the update I just can't connect now. Should I just accept my loses and restart all my Virtual Console titles or erase every trace of the Virtual Console titles from my 3DS' memory and redownload them? I don't really want to send my two 3DS to Nintendo to find out what the problem is because I don't really know which 3DS is causing the problem.

porygonfan

Nintendo 3ds red/blue/yellow cable club issues and "reset" option

I just tried battling another via 3ds in red versions, in the cable club. Battle worked fine but when I hit exit I don't allow us and kept repeating battle mode, hitting home button was disabled to exit game? How do you safely exit, and with trades does this mean it won't save them?

Also, when I hit the touch screen it gives "resume game" option and "reset" option. What does reset do, I'm afraid to try it in fear it will erase my entire saved game.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Also, when I hit the touch screen it gives "resume game" option and "reset" option. What does reset do, I'm afraid to try it in fear it will erase my entire saved game.
The "reset" option is just like soft resetting on other games - it just brings you back to the opening movie and title screen that come up every time you load the game and allows you to continue from your last save (basically like turning the game off then on again). You won't lose your entire save file or anything like that.

Last edited:

porygonfan

The "reset" option is just like soft resetting on other games - it just brings you back to the opening movie and title screen that come up every time you load the game and allows you to continue from your last save (basically like turning the game off then on again). You won't lose your entire save file or anything like that.

Thank you for that. Any idea about the first part?

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
So I purchased the Japanese versions of Pikachu (for nostalgia's sake) and Midori (for a Nuzlocke?) hoping to land a Mew serial code... only to find that there weren't any to be had! The site says the event ends at the end of the month... what gives?

Coyote!

So I purchased the Japanese versions of Pikachu (for nostalgia's sake) and Midori (for a Nuzlocke?) hoping to land a Mew serial code... only to find that there weren't any to be had! The site says the event ends at the end of the month... what gives?

I'm having the same problem. When I purchased Pokémon Green last year, this page (eshop.nintendo.net/my/transactions#/transactions) showed the transaction and included the code, but now that page doesn't work. Nintendo changed their back end when they created the new account system. I purchased Pokémon Blue yesterday, so the Mew code should have been in the eShop receipt like it was with Pokémon Green.

Update: I think we're screwed. I found a video on youtube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErK_KRM7bhk) that showed where to find the code just in case you were lost. I already checked that menu option. The serial code section is not in my receipt. Mrrgrrgrrr. I purchased this item well before the 31st, even in Japan. I hope the link helps you out.

Update2: I've done some research and the promo was supposed to go until the end of this month (You can see it in the link below). I do not understand why I could get Mew last year but not this year. I found this Japanese page that helpfully shows where to get the Mew code: www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/VCAMAP/present/. It'll be quicker than that YouTube video. There are only 3 possible explanations. 1) They screwed up and terminated the promo early 2) They locked us out of the promo because we aren't from Japan (even though we used Japanese 3DSes and they took our foreign money) 3) Something simply went wrong. I'll call Nintendo USA to see if they can help me out, but it's doubtful.

Last edited:

NoSkillJustRice

Pokemon Yellow In Game Team

Hey so I'm a bit new to this thing and I don't really know if I'm posting this in the right section... but I was wondering what a good in game team for Pokemon Yellow is. I just started and I have a Pikachu Lv 10, Pidgeotto Lv 10, and Nidoran Male Lv 4. I don't really plan on putting the Pidgeotto on my team, I just thought it would be fun to have. Anyways, I want to use my Pikachu and Nidoran in my team so I was wondering if any of you had some team suggestions for me. Thanks.;264;

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Ok, total noob question and I'm the first to admit it...

But what's the best strategy for beating Brock if I choose Charmander as my starter in Red? All these years I just picked Squirtle but I really want to try Charmander out this time.

Kalosian

So long
Ok, total noob question and I'm the first to admit it...

But what's the best strategy for beating Brock if I choose Charmander as my starter in Red? All these years I just picked Squirtle but I really want to try Charmander out this time.
I can think of two strategies, not sure which of them is the best.

1. Just use Charmander. It should know Ember at that point, which should deal quite a bit of damage to Geodude and Onix as both of them have quite low Special. Neither of them knows any Rock-type moves either, though you might have to watch out for Bide. Using Potions might help as well if you should get low on HP.

2. Catch another Pokemon and train it. You could catch a Caterpie/Metapod in Viridian Forest (sadly, they are rare in Red) and evolve it into Butterfree, then train it to level 12 when it learns Confusion. Unfortunately, I think that's the only good alternative. Yellow has some other Pokemon available, and with better moves early on as well, but the choices for R/B are very limited, it seems.