• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 1st & 2nd Generation Games Rules, FAQ and Help Thread

Houka

Chamnder's Ember strategy works just beware of they attacks and Bide, used growl to lower their attack so they don't hit too hard.

Caterpei is another good one as long as ya evolve it into Butterfreee and have it learn Confusion.

I believe the Ninorans do have Double Kick if ya train then enough not sure if that only yellow Serebii isn't very good with the early games unfortunately (came across way too many mistakes to find them reliable).

ReDrawn

Confusion on Gen 1 AttackDex

Hey everyone, I'm new here so I don't fully understand the rules or where to post things yet, but I'm a little confused about something. I also posted a similar thing in the AttackDex errors forum, but i'm not sure if that was the best place to get an answer. j

In the Gen 1 AttackDex entry for Acid, it says "A POISON-type attack. Has a one-in-three chance of lowering the target's DEFENSE." But under the effect rate section, it says 10%.

A similar thing happens in the Gen 1 entry for Body Slam. "A NORMAL-type attack. Has a one-in-three chance of paralyzing the target if it connects." with an effect rate of 10%.

These two pieces of data seem to be conflicting, so I'm confused as to which is true. I've checked other websites as well and it seems that bulbapedia agrees at the 33% chance, but on smogon, pokemondb, and neoseeker say that it's a 10 percent chance. Can somebody explain to me which one is right and/or why the confusion exists?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Does anyone remember if whether or not Qwilfish was catchable on Route 32 in Gold & Silver using an Old Rod? I'm planning to catch one when the virtual consoles come out & I've been researching all locations of various pokémon to refresh my memory, but when I research Qwilfish I can't find a definite answe

I know Qwilfish is a swarm Pokémon & a Super Rod would give it a higher level, but I was planning on catching one early on in the games so I wanted to see if whether or not an Old Rod would work

Aquarelle

Staff member
Does anyone remember if whether or not Qwilfish was catchable on Route 32 in Gold & Silver using an Old Rod? I'm planning to catch one when the virtual consoles come out & I've been researching all locations of various pokémon to refresh my memory, but when I research Qwilfish I can't find a definite answe

I know Qwilfish is a swarm Pokémon & a Super Rod would give it a higher level, but I was planning on catching one early on in the games so I wanted to see if whether or not an Old Rod would work

It seems like you can catch it with the Old Rod during a swarm. Both Serebii and Bulbapedia have it as a 15% chance encounter with the Old Rod during a swarm on Route 32. Outside of a swarm, though, it's Super Rod only on that route.

Can anyone tell what's the life span on the pokemon gold/silver cartridge?Thinking about buying a physical copy in anticipation for the VC versions but need to know the life span before doing so.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Can anyone tell what's the life span on the pokemon gold/silver cartridge?Thinking about buying a physical copy in anticipation for the VC versions but need to know the life span before doing so.

If you're referring to the internal battery in the cartridge, the lifetime can really vary based on what I've seen. On one hand, I've heard of batteries that have only lasted ~5 years. But on the other hand, my Gold version's battery lasted over a decade.

If you're referring to the internal battery in the cartridge, the lifetime can really vary based on what I've seen. On one hand, I've heard of batteries that have only lasted ~5 years. But on the other hand, my Gold version's battery lasted over a decade.

So i gotta play with chance huh?Well 5 years is good enough for me thanks for replying.

BCVM22

So i gotta play with chance huh?Well 5 years is good enough for me thanks for replying.

That's five years from when the cartridges were made, not five years from right now. The games released internationally in 2000 - seventeen years ago.

Between the rampant piracy and exorbitant prices of the secondary market, there's zero reason to go to the trouble of buying a G/S game that almost certainly won't actually save your progress, especially when digital versions free of any of these issues will be available in a few short months and especially especially when you intend to play one of those digital versions.

porygonfan

Pokebank using yellow and blue?

How do I use pokebank to transfer a Pokémon from blue to yellow? Do I just put it in box 1 like I do from yellow to sun/moon?

Aquarelle

Staff member
How do I use pokebank to transfer a Pokémon from blue to yellow? Do I just put it in box 1 like I do from yellow to sun/moon?
You can't transfer between the VC games using Bank. The VC games are NOT compatible with Bank directly, just with the Poke Transporter app (if you try to use Bank with just the VC games on your 3DS and no Gen 6 or 7 game inserted, you will get a "could not find save data for a game that is compatible with Pokemon Bank" error message - I just checked this on my 3DS to confirm).

So, while you can transfer Pokemon from RBY to Bank via the Poke Transporter, you cannot go the other way around and send a Pokémon from bank back to RBY. The only way you can transfer Pokemon between different VC games, then, is to directly trade them. You need access to another 3DS that has an RBY game downloaded on it, though.

porygonfan

You can't transfer between the VC games using Bank. The VC games are NOT compatible with Bank directly, just with the Poke Transporter app (if you try to use Bank with just the VC games on your 3DS and no Gen 6 or 7 game inserted, you will get a "could not find save data for a game that is compatible with Pokemon Bank" error message - I just checked this on my 3DS to confirm).

So, while you can transfer Pokemon from RBY to Bank via the Poke Transporter, you cannot go the other way around and send a Pokémon from bank back to RBY. The only way you can transfer Pokemon between different VC games, then, is to directly trade them. You need access to another 3DS that has an RBY game downloaded on it, though.

Thank you, that's crazy though!

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
How do you get the theme for the 3ds background that's suppossed to come if you buy from Gamestop, Amzon, or Best Buy?

Also what's the deal with the other two themes (one with ho-oh against a gold background and lugia against a silver background) and the celebi. According to the info on Serebii it says if you get it today as well as those who preordered get celebi code. Where's that code? And how do you get the ho-oh and lugia themes?

Last edited:

Ashrynn

Can anyone help me with trading a few pokemon from my Red/Yellow to my Gold game(Squirtle, Onix and a Pikachu)? It's to help me early on with building my in-game team and I specifically saved my TMs to use it on these. I can offer up any of the Gen 1 legendary pokemon(sorry, I know it's not much, really really just looking for someone to be super kind and help out). Please and thank you!

BCVM22

There's no online play in the Virtual Console releases. Nothing anyone here can do for you.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Is Gold and Silver able to transfer to Sun and Moon yet? I thought I read that Bank was updated before the vc release, but I can't find anything now about it and have seen like no one talk about it.

Also, will the transfer be like the transfer from vc gen 1 regarding abilities (making them hidden ability) and ivs? Do pokemon sent through to Sun and Moon have 0 evs in all stats? Can items be sent (guess no because some items don't exist in later games like the berry system and polkadot bow and unless Bank updated, items get removed when putting pokes in Bank from any game)?

BCVM22

Transfers from VC Gold/Silver to Bank are not doable yet, but their initial announcement said "winter 2017," so it shouldn't be too long, relatively speaking. The most recent Bank update was just for maintenance.

It is logical to assume that Pokémon transferred from G/S will have their Hidden Abilities as they did when transferred from R/B/Y, but it's impossible to know for certain until we can do those transfers.

Items are always a no when it comes to using Bank/Transporter.

Magical Pokemon

I love Care Bears!
I'm interested in shiny hunting in Generation 2 (Pokemon Gold; 3DS). Can anyone tell me how to get a shiny ditto? (I can't do the Generation 1 mimic method.) Also, what Pokemon can breed with the Shiny Gyarados?

Also, does anyone know if you can get a shiny starter Pikachu in Pokemon yellow?

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Transfers from VC Gold/Silver to Bank are not doable yet, but their initial announcement said "winter 2017," so it shouldn't be too long, relatively speaking. The most recent Bank update was just for maintenance.

It is logical to assume that Pokémon transferred from G/S will have their Hidden Abilities as they did when transferred from R/B/Y, but it's impossible to know for certain until we can do those transfers.

Items are always a no when it comes to using Bank/Transporter.

I hope they somehow create a way to tell what ball the 'mons in gen 2 and even better if gen 1 as well, were caught in. I'm aware that it wouldn't be easy considering the ball used as far as I know doesn't stay mentioned, at least from the player's eyes, but I can dream.

The Mystery Gift function is not working for me (I'm talking about the one where you talk to the girl in the Goldenrod Store to activate). I keep getting a message that the link has been cancelled on one game. It is working fine on the other one. I do have more than one 3DS.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Ok, I just want to confirm this before I spend some cash.

1. Can you trade from Gen 1 (RBY) on a 3DS to a Gen 2 Game (GSC) on another 3DS, assuming that Gen 2 has Gen 1 Valid Pokémon? (aka does it perform the games did with Carts over 17 years ago?)
2. There is no way to Trade from RBY to GSC on the same 3DS, without another 3DS and VC Pokémon game?