• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 1st & 2nd Generation Games Rules, FAQ and Help Thread

Aquarelle

Staff member
Ok, I just want to confirm this before I spend some cash.

1. Can you trade from Gen 1 (RBY) on a 3DS to a Gen 2 Game (GSC) on another 3DS, assuming that Gen 2 has Gen 1 Valid Pokémon? (aka does it perform the games did with Carts over 17 years ago?)
2. There is no way to Trade from RBY to GSC on the same 3DS, without another 3DS and VC Pokémon game?

1. Yes, the time capsule trading works as on physical cartridges. I myself have traded between VC Gold and Red.

2. Right, you CAN’T trade between VC games on the same 3DS system (Pokemon can’t be sent from Pokemon Bank to the VC games either). You will need two 3DS systems, each with a VC game downloaded on it to trade.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
1. Yes, the time capsule trading works as on physical cartridges. I myself have traded between VC Gold and Red.

Since Crystal's coming up on the VC in January, will it be able to trade between the VC versions of Gold/Silver, the VC Gen 1 games and the Gen 7 games?

Aquarelle

Staff member
Since Crystal's coming up on the VC in January, will it be able to trade between the VC versions of Gold/Silver, the VC Gen 1 games and the Gen 7 games?
I think it's safe to assume that VC Crystal will be able to trade with the GS & RBY VC games, and that you'll be able to transfer your Crystal Pokemon to Gen VII.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I think it's safe to assume that VC Crystal will be able to trade with the GS & RBY VC games, and that you'll be able to transfer your Crystal Pokemon to Gen VII.

As long as no Gen 2 Pokémon are traded back to Gen 1?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Does anyone know where would be the best place to save & soft reset for the Odd Egg in Pokémon Crystal? I’m planning on getting the Virtual release when it comes out later this month, & I want to try make it so that my Odd Egg ends up hatching into a Tyrogue.

I was thinking of saving in the gateway between the Ilex Forest & Route 34, hatching the egg, & then just soft resetting until I get a Tyrouge, but I wasn’t sure if there’s a better spot to save so it doesn’t take as long.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Does anyone know where would be the best place to save & soft reset for the Odd Egg in Pokémon Crystal? I’m planning on getting the Virtual release when it comes out later this month, & I want to try make it so that my Odd Egg ends up hatching into a Tyrogue.

I was thinking of saving in the gateway between the Ilex Forest & Route 34, hatching the egg, & then just soft resetting until I get a Tyrouge, but I wasn’t sure if there’s a better spot to save so it doesn’t take as long.

Unfortunately the shininess and the species of the Pokémon that will hatch from the Odd Egg are predetermined as soon as you get the Egg so that means you'll have to save right before you receive the Egg and keep resetting until you hatch the Pokémon you want from the Egg. Unfortunately that will also be a long and tedious process.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I'm a little confused... I've found Teddiursa on Route 45 in my VC Silver game when it's supposed to be Gold Version exclusive. How can this be?

Aquarelle

Staff member
I'm a little confused... I've found Teddiursa on Route 45 in my VC Silver game when it's supposed to be Gold Version exclusive. How can this be?

Which language are you playing in? The Teddiursa/Phanpy line version exclusives are switched in the Japanese and Korean versions of GS - Teddiursa is in Silver, Phanpy is in Gold in those versions of the games.

From what I can see, the Teddiursa & Phanpy families were the only version exclusives that were switched between different language versions of the games.

Last edited:

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Which language are you playing in? The Teddiursa/Phanpy line version exclusives are switched in the Japanese and Korean versions of GS - Teddiursa is in Silver, Phanpy is in Gold in those versions of the games.

From what I can see, the Teddiursa & Phanpy families were the only version exclusives that were switched between different language versions of the games.
Ahh, that explains it! I'm playing the Japanese version. I'm a little bummed out, I like Phanpy more. But I have access to both in Friend Safari, so no biggie. Thanks.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Unfortunately the shininess and the species of the Pokémon that will hatch from the Odd Egg are predetermined as soon as you get the Egg so that means you'll have to save right before you receive the Egg and keep resetting until you hatch the Pokémon you want from the Egg. Unfortunately that will also be a long and tedious process.

That’s fine with me. I’m going into this knowing that it’s going to be a long process (plus, I just want a Tyrogue, I don’t care if it’s shiny). I just wanted to know if I can save closer to the Day Care or if I have to save at the gateway between Ilex Forest & Route 34 so it won’t be as tedious as it already will be.

Last edited:

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I noticed another difference between the Japanese and International Silver Version (I guess in part due to the Teddiursa-Phanpy swap). I assume the wild Pokemon listings on Route 28 seem to be that of the International Crystal Version in Japanese Silver, because I just found an Arbok--right?

Edit: D'oh. I was on Route 27. Disregard.

Last edited:

EonAon

Can anyone point me in the direction of the old type chart. I'm trying to recall what move types were based of physical or special respectively. Example is all ghost moves are based on physical attack power, and all dragon type moves were based off special attack power. I remember some of the list but not all of it since its been ages since I played the old originals .

Aquarelle

Staff member
Can anyone point me in the direction of the old type chart. I'm trying to recall what move types were based of physical or special respectively. Example is all ghost moves are based on physical attack power, and all dragon type moves were based off special attack power. I remember some of the list but not all of it since its been ages since I played the old originals .

Physical types:
Normal
Fighting
Flying
Ground
Rock
Bug
Ghost
Poison
Steel

Special types:
Water
Grass
Fire
Ice
Electric
Psychic
Dragon
Dark

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
If I am understanding Bulbapedia and Serebii correctly, Headbutt Trees can have an 80%, 50%, or 10% chance of spawning a pokemon when you use Headbutt. Those that have 10% are considered "Special Trees" in Serebii's Pokéarth pages. For example, in Azalea Town, Heracross is available from Headbutting Special Trees, but not normal, meaning I have to find a tree with only a 10% chance of spawning a pokemon and then keep headbutting until I finanlly get a Heracross.

Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: I found a grid online that lets you input your trainer ID and tells you which trees in each area can have the pokemon you're looking for.

Anyone know why the odd egg pokemon refuse to go through pokemon transfer?

It's because they hatch with Dizzy Punch. Delete that and they can transfer just fine.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

Because the Odd Egg Pokémon often have unusual moves which others of their species don't, so they're exclusive to Crystal and can't be transferred to the newer gens.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Because the Odd Egg Pokémon often have unusual moves which others of their species don't, so they're exclusive to Crystal and can't be transferred to the newer gens.

Japanese Crystal players do not have access to online features of the Pokémon Communication Center so that they cannot obtain the Egg Ticket, which is used to exchange for the Odd Egg with the Day Care Man at Route 34 in Japanese Pokémon Crystal. So that means for now, Japanese players don't have access to the Odd Egg and it is still possible that those working on the hack check for Pokémon Bank overlooked the fact that the Odd Egg was obtainable in other versions of Pokémon Crystal due to the removal of the Pokémon Communication Center in those games. The unusual move is Dizzy Punch, a move that Pokémon of the same species as Odd Egg Pokémon cannot learn through other methods.

Ekria

Odd egg in Pokemon Crystal

Recently I downloaded Pokemon Crystal and I am playing a Japanese version. I I got to Goldenrod city yesterday and wanted to get an odd egg. I saw the section of gift pokemon. It says 'In the Japanese version, players get an Egg Ticket from the Day Care Man which must be redeemed at the Pokemon Communication Center in Goldenrod City. Any of the baby Pokemon have a 50% rate of being shiny.' However, I chatted with all the people in the PCC as well as the Day Care Man and I did not receive any Egg Ticket or odd egg. I just wondering is there any step I missed.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Recently I downloaded Pokemon Crystal and I am playing a Japanese version. I I got to Goldenrod city yesterday and wanted to get an odd egg. I saw the section of gift pokemon. It says 'In the Japanese version, players get an Egg Ticket from the Day Care Man which must be redeemed at the Pokemon Communication Center in Goldenrod City. Any of the baby Pokemon have a 50% rate of being shiny.' However, I chatted with all the people in the PCC as well as the Day Care Man and I did not receive any Egg Ticket or odd egg. I just wondering is there any step I missed.

It is not because that you are missing some step but it's because the Odd Egg was a Mobile GB event and that 3DS Game Boy Virtual Console is not compatible with Mobile GB functionality.

Last edited: