• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 1st & 2nd Generation Games Rules, FAQ and Help Thread

Crystal_Knight

Dragon Tamer
Aquarell said I should repost my message here if I still needed answers.

In Pokemon Crystal, I just beat Lake of Rage near Mahogany Town, beat the Gym of Mahogany Town and then nothing. Professor Elms*NOT*calling me to warn me about what Team Rocket is doing in Goldenrod City when I step out of the gym, and the RageCandy salesman won't let me pass.*

Whats going on?

In the thread I started before it closed somebody said I had to beat ALL the gyms to get the Radio Tower event, and to get past the RageCandy salesman, and I'm SURE that I didn't miss any of the gyms before the Ice gym. I beat all of the gyms to get to Mahogany Town. But isn't the seventh gym PAST the salesman who won't let me go through?

Recently I downloaded Pokemon Crystal and I am playing a Japanese version. I I got to Goldenrod city yesterday and wanted to get an odd egg. I saw the section of gift pokemon. It says 'In the Japanese version, players get an Egg Ticket from the Day Care Man which must be redeemed at the Pokemon Communication Center in Goldenrod City. Any of the baby Pokemon have a 50% rate of being shiny.' However, I chatted with all the people in the PCC as well as the Day Care Man and I did not receive any Egg Ticket or odd egg. I just wondering is there any step I missed.

Everybody on the net says the PCC in the Japanese version of Pokemon Crystal stopped working a LONG time ago. Its something the game company did that made it stop working back when the game first came out years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Aquarell said I should repost my message here if I still needed answers.

In Pokemon Crystal, I just beat Lake of Rage near Mahogany Town, beat the Gym of Mahogany Town and then nothing. Professor Elms*NOT*calling me to warn me about what Team Rocket is doing in Goldenrod City when I step out of the gym, and the RageCandy salesman won't let me pass.*

Whats going on?

In the thread I started before it closed somebody said I had to beat ALL the gyms to get the Radio Tower event, and to get past the RageCandy salesman, and I'm SURE that I didn't miss any of the gyms before the Ice gym. I beat all of the gyms to get to Mahogany Town. But isn't the seventh gym PAST the salesman who won't let me go through?

How many badges do you have now? When you check your trainer card or save your game, does it show that you've obtained 7 badges?
Note that the only Johto Gym past the salesman in Mahogany Town is the Blackthorn Gym, which is the 8th Gym in Johto.

So, double check that you've defeated all of the first seven Gyms: Violet, Azalea, Goldenrod, Ecruteak, Cianwood, Olivine, Mahogany.

If you find that you have earned 7 badges already, then I'm not sure what the problem is...

McGlitchy

At the Elite Four with Team Problems

I recently made it to the elite four in Pokemon Blue and realized my team was under leveled (I wanted to try and get them to Lv 60-70), I was wondering if anybody could direct me to a leveling guide as I couldn't find one for Gen 1.

Also I would appreciate some suggestions for my team so If you have a suggestion here is my team.

Nidoqueen Lv 41
Pidgeot Lv 38
Haunter Lv 41
Sandslash Lv 41
Blastoise Lv 41
Snorlax Lv 31

(As you probably figured from the level, I barely use Snorlax)

Houka

Ya should have your guys at around 50's, I use Diglit's Tunnels, while slow at leveling up it's by far the safest spot. Team wise ya should be OK as long as they got decent moves.

Crystal_Knight

Dragon Tamer
Is there a FASTER way to get eggs in G/S/C?? Right now, in my Crystal game, I have a female Magmar and a Ditto in the Daycare who are 'interested' in each other, and I've just spent the last HOUR or so having my character run around on her bike all over the place while periodically checking the Daycare for a Magby egg, and STILL nothing. What gives?

Plus WHY does it take so long for the eggs to hatch once you get them? Even going up and down the Bike path to try and help the hatching process barely seems to do anything, because it might be HOURS before the egg starts showing signs of getting ready to hatch no matter how long I walk around with it.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Is there a FASTER way to get eggs in G/S/C?? Right now, in my Crystal game, I have a female Magmar and a Ditto in the Daycare who are 'interested' in each other, and I've just spent the last HOUR or so having my character run around on her bike all over the place while periodically checking the Daycare for a Magby egg, and STILL nothing. What gives?

If you're able to trade with other games, you could increase your chances of getting an egg by replacing the Ditto with a male Magmar that has a different original trainer from your female Magmar. Same species + different OT gives the highest chance of producing an egg.

Other than that, the only thing you can do is keep cycling around and waiting until you get an egg. It seems that egg producing rates are lower in GSC than later gens, though - the second table here has the GSC rates, which are lower than the rates for other games in the first table. I had trouble getting eggs when I was breeding on Gold a couple months ago, too, with some eggs taking over an hour to get IIRC. It was frustrating, but the only thing I could do was keep trying.

Rogue Agent

I need help and I hope I'm posting in the correct section:

In Yellow, if I I teach Snorlax Self-Destruct, trade it to Crystal to teach it Curse, and then transfer it to the newest games, can I breed a Snorlax to have both Curse and Self-Destruct since I used TMs?

Rogue Agent

Thanks, Aquarelle.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but would the following work?

Male Snorlax with Self-Destruct breeds with female Snorlax with Curse and Full Incense. I would get Self-Destruct from Yellow.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Thanks, Aquarelle.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but would the following work?

Male Snorlax with Self-Destruct breeds with female Snorlax with Curse and Full Incense. I would get Self-Destruct from Yellow.
Yes, this should work.

KingJacko

My birthday is on Wednesday, and im getting a gen 1 game and a gen 2 game(on 3ds, and pokebank :)). I really would like to complete the gen 1 pokedex, does anybody know which combination of a gen 1 and a gen 2 will allow me to complete it? I also have a friend with Silver that i can trade with.

Thank you very much in advance, even though I will most likely thank you later :)

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
My birthday is on Wednesday, and im getting a gen 1 game and a gen 2 game(on 3ds, and pokebank :)). I really would like to complete the gen 1 pokedex, does anybody know which combination of a gen 1 and a gen 2 will allow me to complete it? I also have a friend with Silver that i can trade with.

Thank you very much in advance, even though I will most likely thank you later :)
Complete the Story, just that game..

But for completing the dex: If your friend has Silver, then you'll want Gold, to cover the most of the Missing Pokémon. After that, Yellow can get you every Pokémon bar Mew and Celebii. You'll need to reset at least Yellow once, after getting to Gym 7 to get the Fossil, and reset Gold to get the Johto starter. If you get two VC games on the same system, they won't be able to trade with each other.

I'm going through Silver Version on VC, my Gloom is level 29 right now. Is there anyway I can evolve it to Bellossom now and still get it to learn Petal Dance? Or would I have to level it up to level 44? I don't think there is a move re-learner in Gold/Silver...

Aquarelle

Staff member
I'm going through Silver Version on VC, my Gloom is level 29 right now. Is there anyway I can evolve it to Bellossom now and still get it to learn Petal Dance? Or would I have to level it up to level 44? I don't think there is a move re-learner in Gold/Silver...
You will have to wait until Gloom learns Petal Dance at level 44. You're right that there is no move relearner in the GSC games themselves (there was a way to relearn moves via Stadium 2, but that's irrelevant since you're playing VC), so there wouldn't be a way for a level 29+ Bellossom to relearn Petal Dance.

You will have to wait until Gloom learns Petal Dance at level 44. You're right that there is no move relearner in the GSC games themselves (there was a way to relearn moves via Stadium 2, but that's irrelevant since you're playing VC), so there wouldn't be a way for a level 29+ Bellossom to relearn Petal Dance.
Darn, okay thanks anyway for the info

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
In regards to the roaming pokemon, when is the shiny determined? I saw that it's the first meeting (so you can't find it and then look for it again and hope that one or future ones are shiny), but then someone said something about being determined at the beginning and then I see shiny hunts where people sr before they are awoken in the tower. I can't tell if you have to save before you wake them or if this is just their way of making it easier by going to the nearby routes right after they've awoken. I've awoken them in my gold but have none saved as being encountered yet so I should be able to still shiny hunt them right?

Also could someone tell me what place in Johto has the most variety of pokémon in a single encounter area? I'm shiny hunting and want a lot of variety in the patch of grass, cave, etc I'm hunting in. For example in gen 5 Celestial Tower only has two species there so that would obviously be one of the worst areas for what I'm trying to do (I know gen 5 is different I was just giving an example)