• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 1st & 2nd Generation Games Rules, FAQ and Help Thread

Houka

Hmm I've never seen it do this. Are your playing the Virtual console version? I fight Bronk Geodude enough times to know that it doesn't do what your saying.

Edit: if ya say this is true then I don't have much to say.

Seraph*

Hey everyone! It's been a long time!
I am playing through pokemon red on the 3ds. I have resolved to catch all wild pokemon in pokeballs (no great or ultra balls, etc.) That being said, once a pokemon is captured, will the game store the data of what ball was used? Furthermore, if it does, will that data transfer to pokemon sun and moon... or will it be likely all pokemon will automatically transfer in pokeballs even if a great or ultra, etc. ball was used?

Aquarelle

Staff member
Hey everyone! It's been a long time!
I am playing through pokemon red on the 3ds. I have resolved to catch all wild pokemon in pokeballs (no great or ultra balls, etc.) That being said, once a pokemon is captured, will the game store the data of what ball was used? Furthermore, if it does, will that data transfer to pokemon sun and moon... or will it be likely all pokemon will automatically transfer in pokeballs even if a great or ultra, etc. ball was used?
I don't know whether the game stores the Poke Ball data anywhere, but we probably won't know anything about how Sun & Moon will handle it until later this year when those games come out.

Seraph*

I don't know whether the game stores the Poke Ball data anywhere, but we probably won't know anything about how Sun & Moon will handle it until later this year when those games come out.

OK, that's sort of what I figured! Thank you!

I'm starting my copy of Crystal over again shortly. Not looking forward to hunting down Entei and Raikou though so I was wondering if I can get hold of another Master Ball.

It's been forever since I've traded between Gen 1 and 2 so I'm not sure how it works but if I trade a Pokemon holding a Master Ball to Red, will it still be holding it if I trade it back? Or is the item lost?

Houka

Pokemon can't hold item in gen one so no you can't do that. There trade backs but master ball isn't one of them. You'll either have to win the IP number (I forget what it was called) all 5 numbers have to match one of your pokmeon or trade it used Gold or Silver.

Mahdy

Must read -- Need immediate help.

I just found Pokemon silver, and my current list is:
Totodile (13)
Chikorita (10
Cyndaquil (13)
& Bellsport for flash, probably Onix for strength and rock smash, not sure.
I have two other Totodile and Chikorita to teach them as HM moves (surf, waterfall, etc) & Cut and some other HMs I can think of for my spare Chikorota.

I was thinking of getting:
Kadabra
Pidgeotto
Fluffy (?), till I can find a way to find dratini. I would prefer Xanu for flying, but just started can't find it. Just beat the first gym.

Houka

Well if ya get what you were thinking you should be fine. As for xatu, he's found in the Ruins of Alph grassy area, you'll need Surf to reach it though. Dratini can be bought at the Game corner or you can wait til Dragon's Den to get one.

Does anyone know if you trade Pikachu from Yellow Version to another game and then back to Yellow Version if he'll still follow you?

Aquarelle

Staff member
Does anyone know if you trade Pikachu from Yellow Version to another game and then back to Yellow Version if he'll still follow you?
I was wondering this myself, so I just tried it - yes, it started following me again when I traded it back to Yellow (though it doesn't seem too happy when I talk to it now lol).

I was wondering this myself, so I just tried it - yes, it started following me again when I traded it back to Yellow (though it doesn't seem too happy when I talk to it now lol).
Cool thanks. I recently found out about this glitch item that lets you teach a Pokemon any move and I want to teach my Pikachu surf. The problem is I think I've already passed the point in the game that I can get it. So I was planning on buying a copy on my girlfriend's 3DS, getting the item there, trading my Pikachu, teaching it surf, and trading it back, but I wanted Pikachu to follow me still.

Setsuna91

Nidoran Male

sorry to start a new thread but today i bought pokemon yellow on the virtual console just to relive the experience again and i caught a level 4 nidoran male and it says on this website that on pokemon RBY it learns horn attack at level 8 but mine is level 12 and just learnt double kick but it didnt learn horn attack at level 8 does anyone happen to know why this is? Any help is appreciated thanks.

Aquarelle

Staff member
sorry to start a new thread but today i bought pokemon yellow on the virtual console just to relive the experience again and i caught a level 4 nidoran male and it says on this website that on pokemon RBY it learns horn attack at level 8 but mine is level 12 and just learnt double kick but it didnt learn horn attack at level 8 does anyone happen to know why this is? Any help is appreciated thanks.
Did your Nidoran "skip" any levels, e.g. jump from level 7 to level 9 without being level 8 in between? In Gen 1, if a Pokemon gains enough experience to gain multiple levels, it won't have the opportunity to learn the moves that come at the levels it "skips" over.

Sgt. Pepperr

Pokemon Yellow Sprite Glitches/Not Saving

Hello,

This is my first time posting on a forum so I will try to be specific and thorough.

My wife had recently obtained a bunch of stuff she had as a kid. Among these items was a game boy advance and several games. One of these games was Pokemon Yellow. I was ecstatic, I popped the game in it wouldn't boot. No matter, I thought, I will just clean the contacts. This started a long series of attempted fixes.

After cleaning the contacts by gently rubbing them with a white eraser and then running over the contacts with 99% isopropyl alcohol i let the cartridge dry. When I popped it back in it booted up! hooray! or not...

So everything boots normally and the sound is there. I can start a new game, which i did, but the first thing I noticed is that right off the bat the sprite for professor oak has been replaced by a glitchy black box (im assuming the placeholder for if the correct sprite is not found). I kept playing and was able to name my character and my rival and the game progressed normally. The overworld sprites look fine, but when I enter a battle all the sprites for all of the characters as well as the pokemon are all replaced by glitchy boxes. the sprites in the pokedex listings are also this way. So then I think, maybe I didn't seat the cartridge correctly so I save the game and shut it down. I re-seat the cartridge and boot it back up, but my save is gone!

At this point, I am a little discouraged, but not hopeless. I order two new cr1616 16 millimeter batteries (this is the battery Yellow uses as it says right above the existing battery on the motherboard). One from Ebay and one from amazon. When they get here, I de-solder the old battery and remove the excess solder from the contact points. I put the new battery into place and solder it in. But still no saving and still glitchy sprites. So i try the other battery and have the same problem. The old battery would not give a reading on my multimeter, but the tho new batteries both read over 3 volts (I know the true reading is obtained by putting the battery under load and testing it, but I do no have the equipment for that. nor do i think the batteries are actually the problem.)

So now I'm thinking, great I have a defective cartridge. So i do a bit of google searching. I came across a forum that suggested reflowing the solder on all of the chips on the board. I checked for dirty or corroded contacts on all of the chips, as well as the contacts that actually go into the game boy. The only thing that seemed somewhat corroded was the MBC3 (the small square on the upper lefthand side of the motherboard if you are holding the motherboard so that the battery is in the upper right hand side). Regardless I reflowed the solder on all of the contact points for all of the chips on the motherboard. I boot it up and BOOM. same problem, no change.

I have also tried placing paper behind the motherboard in the cartridge to push the contacts up a little bit for a better connection. I have an original Gameboy as well and tried playing the game on there to see if the GBA was the problem, but I had the same issues on the original gameboy.

Also, I know this is not a fake or modded copy of the game. I know that gameshark has never been used on it and I know that the missingo/mew/glitch city glitches have never been attempted. (not that missingo actually destroys games in MOST cases, and if it does usually restarting the save files will remedy the issue)

Now I am at a loss, I cannot think of anything else to try short of replacing the chips on the motherboard which is probably beyond my skill level. Does anyone on here have any ideas that I can try? Or do you think this game is worthless? As you can tell I am not your average user and I am open to trying more advance restoration techniques.

tl;dr

Yellow has glitchy sprites during the battle sequences and in the pokedex entries, but the overworld sprites are fine. It also will not save. The contacts have been cleaned thoroughly, the battery has been replaced and soldered in twice with different batteries (not the ghetto tape it up thing), and the solder for all of the chips on the motherboard has been reflowed. It is not a modded or fake copy of the game, has not had gameshark used on it, and none of the famous glitches (missingo, glitch city, etc) have been performed on this cartridge. Any suggestions on what I should try next?

Team Help Please

Hi there, thanks for reading. I bought Pokemon Yellow on the 3DS Virtual Console and I really want to take my time and play seriously. But I need a little help.

My Team is...

Pikachu/Jolteon

Starmie

Aerodactyl/Dugtrio

Dragonite

Snorlax/Tauros

Hitmonlee/Machoke

I want to train Jolteon but I can only teach Thunder Bolt to one Pokemon. If i teach it to Jolteon, I can't teach it to Dragonite or Starmie. Maybe I should just keep Pikachu on my team?

I know enough about Pokemon to understand that Pokemon with Speed are important and a tank like Snorlax would be nice. Also physical sweepers and special sweepers. I'm completely confused about which moves each Pokemon should learn.

Thanks for reading, thank you.

Thepowaofhax

For team members and move advice, here are my recommendations:
-Jolteon
Jolteon is quite literally the best Electric-type in the game excluding legendaries, with a high crit rate and good special. While yes, it does require you to teach it Thunderbolt, you have other options to teach your Pokemon Electric-type moves. It also gets access to Pin-Missile and Double Kick, and while its attack isn't decent, this allows it to somewhat deal with Rock/Ground-types and Psychic-types that would wall it. Also, Double Team.
-Starmie
Starmie already has two great STABs, giving it Surf/Psychic allows it to hit any Pokemon, and it also has some decent survivability with Recover. Further giving Ice-Beam would give it great coverage.
-Dugtrio
Having access to great STAB moves by level-up while also freeing up some TMs is vital, something that Aerodactyl does not really have, and it also learns Rock-type coverage and a move that would get a crit 100% of the time (Slash).
-Dragonite
Dragonite is quite decent, getting access to Hyper Beam by level up, Fire Blast/Thunder/Blizzard by TMs, Fly for STAB and a valuable status move, Thunder Wave. It also heavily abuses Wrap due to it learning Agility, allowing it to sweep entire teams given you don't miss by Wrap spam. I'd recommend using Agility/Wrap, Hyper Beam and then one of the aforementioned elemental moves (probably Fire Blast as this team needs a Fire-type or Fire-type coverage).
-Snorlax
This thing isn't just a tank. Snorlax is a behemoth; having a massive attack stat and Amnesia to round out its less-than-stellar special, it can tank a lot of moves and dish out punishment in return. It also learns Body Slam/Hyper Beam by level-up, can use the EQ TM you'll save by using Dugtrio, and other factors. It also learns Blizzard, Solar Beam and other decent special moves to abuse with Amnesia.
-Replace Hitmonlee/Machoke. I'd recommend a decent Grass-type such as Venusaur., or use Primeape.
For Venusaur, it can easily abuse Toxic + Leech Seed, allowing both DoT's to exponentially grow and do massive damage. Venusaur also gets STAB Razor Leaf, which has an insanely high crit chance and will crit a majority of the time. The other move could be something like Mega Drain or Body Slam. Primeape is a better option due to it having high speed and attack, is a potential recipient of the EQ TM, gets access to Karate Chop (just like Slash/Razor Leaf, but weaker than Slash) and can use Thrash.

Hopefully that helps.