• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 1st & 2nd Generation Games Rules, FAQ and Help Thread

Aquarelle

Staff member
In regards to the roaming pokemon, when is the shiny determined? I saw that it's the first meeting (so you can't find it and then look for it again and hope that one or future ones are shiny), but then someone said something about being determined at the beginning and then I see shiny hunts where people sr before they are awoken in the tower. I can't tell if you have to save before you wake them or if this is just their way of making it easier by going to the nearby routes right after they've awoken. I've awoken them in my gold but have none saved as being encountered yet so I should be able to still shiny hunt them right?

Also could someone tell me what place in Johto has the most variety of pokémon in a single encounter area? I'm shiny hunting and want a lot of variety in the patch of grass, cave, etc I'm hunting in. For example in gen 5 Celestial Tower only has two species there so that would obviously be one of the worst areas for what I'm trying to do (I know gen 5 is different I was just giving an example)

For the first question, I tried looking for an answer but found the conflicting information you mentioned (leaning more towards "save before you awaken them", though). So, I don't know if we can tell you whether you'll still be able to shiny hunt them on your Gold.

For the second question, Route 38 could be an option, with up to 7 grass encounters depending on the time of day and version: https://www.serebii.net/pokearth/johto/2nd/route38.shtml

I don't know for sure if there's another Johto area with more grass/cave encounters since I didn't check every area, but you could check Pokearth for other areas you're interested in looking in. I also just looked at standard walking in grass/cave encounters, so there may be better places to hunt if you're considering Pokemon found through Headbutt, fishing, etc. as well.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
For the first question, I tried looking for an answer but found the conflicting information you mentioned (leaning more towards "save before you awaken them", though). So, I don't know if we can tell you whether you'll still be able to shiny hunt them on your Gold.

For the second question, Route 38 could be an option, with up to 7 grass encounters depending on the time of day and version: https://www.serebii.net/pokearth/johto/2nd/route38.shtml

I don't know for sure if there's another Johto area with more grass/cave encounters since I didn't check every area, but you could check Pokearth for other areas you're interested in looking in. I also just looked at standard walking in grass/cave encounters, so there may be better places to hunt if you're considering Pokemon found through Headbutt, fishing, etc. as well.
Yea I can't find exactly how it is. Since it's related to its ivs of this generation then if I could catch it check, and then catch it again and if the stats are different I should be able to shiny hunt it, but I'm not near getting the masterball so I can't check myself

HoundoomFTW

Dragon Maestro
So i have almost hatched all of my favorite Pokemon as shinies on my crystal version. Untouched all level 5, i
am trying to wrap my head around how to properly raise them and eventually bring them over to Ultra Sun. Is it better if i max out and use all the vitamins i can while they are level 5, will that make them stronger rather than wait till they get to level 30~ and so on or will it still be the same result in the end?

Also i am curious on which vitamins(Like how many times i give a certain Pokemon each vitamin) would benefit each Pokemon on my team the most. (Houndour,Charmander,Dratini,Mareep,Horsea,Larvitar,Gastly)

For example would i give houndour just straight zinc and carbos? or max those out and throw in a Iron since he has poor defense

I didn't know were to put this, so I just decided to put it here since this isn't a competetive team, and more so a casual playthrough team, so yeah. Anyways, I recently bought pokemon crystal on the virtual console, and my team is almost complete. However, I can't seem to come across any pokemon for my last slot. I do have an elekid in my PC which I don't really want to use, and thats about it. Are there any pokemon that can fit my last slot? If not, then I'll just use elekid I guess.

My current team:

Feraligatr
Donphan
Crobat
Eevee (Will evolve into espeon)
Growlithe (will evolve into arcanine)
and ???

Mudkip97

I'm planning on catching a Shiny Raikou in Crystal
I was wondering at what point are the stats and shininess of the roaming beasts determined? Is it when you see them at the burned tower or when you first encounter them?

Also any tips on soft resetting for one?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm planning on catching a Shiny Raikou in Crystal
I was wondering at what point are the stats and shininess of the roaming beasts determined? Is it when you see them at the burned tower or when you first encounter them?

Also any tips on soft resetting for one?
I believe their stats and shinyness are determined as soon as they are met at the Burned Tower. It would take a while to soft reset them because you’ll don’t know where you’ll find them until they’re registered as seen in the Pokédex.

Mudkip97

I believe their stats and shinyness are determined as soon as they are met at the Burned Tower. It would take a while to soft reset them because you’ll don’t know where you’ll find them until they’re registered as seen in the Pokédex.

I see.
But can you equip repels and go into a route, go back out and so on?
Also can you encounter them after obtaining the master ball?
And would you know of any RNG abuse methods?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I see.
But can you equip repels and go into a route, go back out and so on?
Also can you encounter them after obtaining the master ball?
And would you know of any RNG abuse methods?
The Repel Trick is a good way to encounter these roaming legendaries. Bring a Pokémon that has a level at least the highest level of the Pokémon that can normally be encountered there but the same or lower than that of Raikou which is at Lv 40. But the Pokémon you encounter in surrounding routes (Route 38, Route 42 and Route 37) don't go above Lv 20 so if you lead with a Pokémon that's in between Lv 20 and Lv 40 then you can use them for the Repel Trick so that you can find Raikou or Entei more easily. But since roaming Pokémon go to an adjacent area as you enter a new area without Flying, you can just enter and leave the route to change its location in a less random manner.

Just soft reset and repeat the Repel Trick until you find your shiny Raikou. It will remain shiny for the rest of the game if you save after the encounter and if you still have that save. So that means once you get the Master Ball from Professor Elm after you obtain the Rising Badge or after you defeat Clair, you can use it once you find that shiny Raikou again.

I don't know too much about RNG in Crystal except that it's unlike that in Emerald where the player boots the game with a set seed and that results in a series of predictable events that occur in exact frames after a save file is loaded. Therefore you should be able to get a variety of possible events within a similar timing after you load your save.

Mudkip97

The Repel Trick is a good way to encounter these roaming legendaries. Bring a Pokémon that has a level at least the highest level of the Pokémon that can normally be encountered there but the same or lower than that of Raikou which is at Lv 40. But the Pokémon you encounter in surrounding routes (Route 38, Route 42 and Route 37) don't go above Lv 20 so if you lead with a Pokémon that's in between Lv 20 and Lv 40 then you can use them for the Repel Trick so that you can find Raikou or Entei more easily. But since roaming Pokémon go to an adjacent area as you enter a new area without Flying, you can just enter and leave the route to change its location in a less random manner.

Just soft reset and repeat the Repel Trick until you find your shiny Raikou. It will remain shiny for the rest of the game if you save after the encounter and if you still have that save. So that means once you get the Master Ball from Professor Elm after you obtain the Rising Badge or after you defeat Clair, you can use it once you find that shiny Raikou again.

I don't know too much about RNG in Crystal except that it's unlike that in Emerald where the player boots the game with a set seed and that results in a series of predictable events that occur in exact frames after a save file is loaded. Therefore you should be able to get a variety of possible events within a similar timing after you load your save.

So basically I got to the south for example with repel and a Pokemon between level 20-40.

Oh so they stay shiny once you see them oh that's good to know. I was unsure if it was like in Gen 3 or up.

Do you know someone who knows about Gen 2 RNG?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
So basically I got to the south for example with repel and a Pokemon between level 20-40.

Oh so they stay shiny once you see them oh that's good to know. I was unsure if it was like in Gen 3 or up.

Do you know someone who knows about Gen 2 RNG?
Yeah, you could go south to Route 37 and back to Ecruteak City to change Raikou's location. In the tall grass at Route 37, the Pokémon you encounter there do not go above Lv 16 so if you have a Lv 17 Pokémon that you can use there, you're fine there. The level of the first Pokémon in your party will determine which encounters you'll repel. The Pokémon with the levels below the level of the first Pokémon don't get encountered but you can still encounter Pokémon with levels either the same or above the level of the first Pokémon. It is so that all of the Pokémon you'll usually encounter in the tall grass there get repelled and you can only find Raikou or Entei there if it is roaming in that route.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
In HeartGold and SoulSilver, the roomers are set as soon as they flee the tower. In Crystal, Gold, and Silver, they are set the first time you find them in the wild.

The repel trick works wonders for finding the roamers. Just enter a route with a nearby grass patch, make a pass through the grass, then exit and re-enter the route and repeat. When you find a roamer, reset if it isn’t shiny or try to catch it if it is.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In HeartGold and SoulSilver, the roomers are set as soon as they flee the tower. In Crystal, Gold, and Silver, they are set the first time you find them in the wild.

The repel trick works wonders for finding the roamers. Just enter a route with a nearby grass patch, make a pass through the grass, then exit and re-enter the route and repeat. When you find a roamer, reset if it isn’t shiny or try to catch it if it is.
Also remember that once the game is saved after the Legendary beasts are released and then that save is reloaded, the Legendary beasts will be relocated to random locations. Once they are released, Raikou is initially placed at Route 38 and Entei is initially placed at Route 42 in Crystal. It would be easier if the player saves before releasing the beasts if the player doesn't have the Pokédex entries for Raikou and Entei before releasing the beasts so that the player wouldn't be forced to trade beforehand. It'll be easier to have the Legendary beasts start off from a set location where they have a 31/32 chance of going to an adjacent route once the player changes location rather than having to keep on resetting in the hope that the Legendary beast will be on the same route as the route or nearby city/town the player saved in.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Does anyone know how it's determined whether Entei and Raikou flee before or after you get to use a pokémon move in Crystal? I thought it was just based on speed, but I caught Entei now and I was able to Sleep Powder it before it fled, even though my Venomoth (89 speed) is slower than Entei (92 speed), yet Raikou continually flees before I get to attempt Sleep Powder.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Does anyone know how it's determined whether Entei and Raikou flee before or after you get to use a pokémon move in Crystal? I thought it was just based on speed, but I caught Entei now and I was able to Sleep Powder it before it fled, even though my Venomoth (89 speed) is slower than Entei (92 speed), yet Raikou continually flees before I get to attempt Sleep Powder.
That’s due to the Speed bonus from getting the Plain Badge. It increases by 12.5% once you get it.

Last edited:

Houka

May I asked how do the badges work? Like do they only effect the Pokemon your currently have or every Pokemon you have after that point will also get that benefit?