• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 2013 Spring Friendly (Official Singles Wi-Fi Tournament Discussion Thread)

Are you participating in this tournament?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
well... i kinda made a top threat list... which is actually completely accurate which i posted a link to here... which many people blindly disregarded...
also 1850 points gives me cocky rights...
Numbers aren't the full telling dude... you could be in the 2000s and still lose to someone in the lower 1200s. But you keep telling yourself your right, I'll continue playing for the heck of it. I hardly take a game based on probability that seriously

Jivoo

Im really starting to lose my mind because of all the players that quite when Im winning. About 50% off my opponents quit when Im winning

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

well... i kinda made a top threat list... which is actually completely accurate which i posted a link to here... which many people blindly disregarded...
also 1850 points gives me cocky rights...

Many thanks for putting that threat list together. I referred to that quite a bit when building my team for this.

I've only had time to play 7 games so far unfortunately, sitting at 6-1 so far. I'll get some more in this evening hopefully.

MSK

Well I'm back for another push, picking up 3-4 wins for every loss so not too bad.
I have to say Thundurus has definitely been my MVP for this tournament, prankster TWave has been a godsend for slowing everything and he's been quick enough to deal some serious damage to pretty much everything (I even 3-0'd someone with just him!!)
Such a difference from the doubles where I wasn't that impressed, maybe I'll give him another chance in the June International. (Or maybe even at VGC)

EDIT: Lost to Hozu, isn't he a member here?

EDIT: Think I've just been skanked, Aleksis from West Finland started with a Hydreigon against my Naive Genesect. My Genesect has 31 IV speed is EV trained with 252 Speed and is holding a choice scarf, yet he still outsped me and OHKO'd with Flamethrower. Surely evenif his was fully trained as well and with choice he should've been one point slower? Can someone confirm?

Last edited:
Well I'm back for another push, picking up 3-4 wins for every loss so not too bad.
I have to say Thundurus has definitely been my MVP for this tournament, prankster TWave has been a godsend for slowing everything and he's been quick enough to deal some serious damage to pretty much everything (I even 3-0'd someone with just him!!)
Such a difference from the doubles where I wasn't that impressed, maybe I'll give him another chance in the June International. (Or maybe even at VGC)

EDIT: Lost to Hozu, isn't he a member here?

EDIT: Think I've just been skanked, Aleksis from West Finland started with a Hydreigon against my Naive Genesect. My Genesect has 31 IV speed is EV trained with 252 Speed and is holding a choice scarf, yet he still outsped me and OHKO'd with Flamethrower. Surely evenif his was fully trained as well and with choice he should've been one point slower? Can someone confirm?

At level 30 a scarfed Timid Hydreigon and a scarfed Naive Genesect tie for speed if both have 252 EVs in speed

AxelWolf

Arcanine lover!
I had by far the longest battle to date. I was battling this guy named Cooper who had a Ferrothorn, a Gliscor and a Vaporeon who we ended up spending over ten minutes rotating Pokemon like I had my Arcanine out, he had his Ferrothorn which then he switched out for his Vaporeon which then I brought out my Lucario which then he ends up bringing out his Gliscor which then I brought out my Gliscor which then he brings out his Ferrothorn. It was getting very annoying until I caught on with their little game so when they switched Ferrothorn for Vaporeon, I kept my Gliscor in and nailed Vaporeon with an OHKO critical hit Stone Edge. Then after some more back and forth, I kept my Lucario in when they switched Ferrothorn for Gliscor which got knocked out with a surprising Ice Punch. Then I finally brought my Arcanine out and finished off Ferrothorn with a nice Flamethrower for the win. Man, this battle took about 17 minutes and 30 seconds to win.

Anyways, I am going to keep battling until I reach and surpass 100 battles. Also to make sure I manage to get over that 20% disconnect thing which would cost me my rank and those C-Gear skins.

MSK

In that case I was led to believe that the person who chose their move first would win the speed tie? As happened to me in past and I know I hit my move straight away :(

To the best of my knowledge speed ties are determined randomly. 50/50 chance of winning a speed tie. I've seen some people claim that the first speed tie in a battle is resolved randomly and that subsequent ties alternate the winner. In any case, as far as I know the order in which players select their moves plays no role in resolving speed ties.

MSK

Oh for pete's sake!!! Got myself back up to 1688 and then lost a match dropping me back to 1666 :(
I'm never going to get over the 1700 mark again :(

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Had some pretty good battles today, the latest of which involved my Dwebble plowing through this guy's sun team with absurd ease. I wanted to save that one as a Battle Video, but I'm pretty hesitant to get rid of my current Battle Video, which was from that Rotation Battle tournament- my Shiny Darmanitan really shone in that one. I actually haven't lost yet today. Then again, many of my opponents seemed a tad... inexperienced. One guy ran an entire team of legendaries- Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurom, Victini, Landorus, and I forget what the other one was. That wasn't that hard a battle. Weavile Low Kicked Kyurom into the red before being OHKO'd by Outrage. Emolga KO'd Kyurom with Charge Beam and 2HKO'd Landorus with Air Slash (first one made him flinch), then took out about half of Victini's health with Signal Beam (meant to hit Thunderbolt) before being KO'd by Fusion Flare. Then Cinccino finished the job with Rock Blast.

ludiloco

Decide to stop keeping track on my record. Today morning I had an awful losing-streak (lost like 4 battles in a row) and got really mad, but then I decided to stop whining and just fight, either winning or losing I already got what I wanted: the c-gear skins. I'm 1632 right now an I don't think that will drasticallky change, so I'll just have fun.

old man

On Guard!!!
broke 1900 :D
62-3-9

anyway i dont understand why you all weren't expecting things like keldeo, terrakion, and kyurem to reck unprepared teams... >.>

This is the problem you have when you have a rating system (Smogon) then you get to use what you want in these wifi tourny's. Folks see it as cheating cause they are use to the rating system type of play.

Well I took out a guy with a rating of 1710 :). My team was just a fun team and I play with whom I like. If I would have had time to train I would have used my legends too.

Oh I forgot to ask.... How does a non-scarfed hydrian(I know I spelled it wrong. Dark/dragon) outspeed a scarfed haxorus

Last edited:

ludiloco

This is the problem you have when you have a rating system (Smogon) then you get to use what you want in these wifi tourny's. Folks see it as cheating cause they are use to the rating system type of play.

Well I took out a guy with a rating of 1710 :). My team was just a fun team and I play with whom I like. If I would have had time to train I would have used my legends too.

Oh I forgot to ask.... How does a non-scarfed hydrian(I know I spelled it wrong. Dark/dragon) outspeed a scarfed haxorus

The only explanation is that the Hydreigon has perfect IVs and 252 EVs in speed while your scarfed Haxorus doesn't (and maybe it has a hindering speed nature).

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
That Haxorus would have to have a hindering Speed nature and little to no investment in Speed as well as low Speed IVs. That's the only legit way I can think of it. Oh yeah and Hydreigon would need full Speed investments and a plus Speed nature

old man

On Guard!!!
That Haxorus would have to have a hindering Speed nature and little to no investment in Speed as well as low Speed IVs. That's the only legit way I can think of it. Oh yeah and Hydreigon would need full Speed investments and a plus Speed nature

Well my hax has a adamant nature with max IV's and speed & attack investment plus a scarf :) so I do think it may be another illegal poke that made it past the filters. Not the first one of those I've seen in these tourny's.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Well my hax has a adamant nature with max IV's and speed & attack investment plus a scarf :) so I do think it may be another illegal poke that made it past the filters. Not the first one of those I've seen in these tourny's.

Well, if the Hydreigon had even a nature neutral to speed and the same speed investment plus a scarf, I think it's totally plausible that it was real. Hydreigon's base speed is 98, versus Haxorus and its 97 base speed, unless Serebii is wrong here. I still wouldn't totally dismiss the possibility of a hacked pokemon there, though it's still quite possibly real.

EDIT: I forgot the part about it being a non-scarfed Hydreigon. In that case, unless I'm missing something else, the conclusion that it's a hacked Hydreigon is very probable.

Last edited:

MSK

Had another slide last night :( Went back down to 1653 from 1688!! So called it a night.
Came back on this morning and got another loss, but have just won a massive match against someone called B-TOXIC in the 1770's who forfeited when it was down to his paralysed Genesect with yellow HP against my Thundurus and Genesect both with near full health and took the loss graciously :)

AxelWolf

Arcanine lover!
Gaaaah! I am sick of these damn players who are ranked 1700 points and higher all the damn time! I had to forefit several games already today alone because they crush my first two Pokemon without me being able to land a single hit on their first Pokemon and I am not going to give them that satisfaction of wiping all three of my Pokemon out when I know two of them from what I saw were using hacked Pokemon since one player was ranked well over 2000, being one of the players who were crushing my entire team with pathetically ease there was no way in hell their one Pokemon was able to outspeed my entire team since I EV trained my Lucario, Arcanine and Gliscor in Speed as well as attack.

Sorry, I needed to rant on this.

MSK

Oh FFS!!! Just lost to someone with a 1200+ rating :(
They had a shiny Altaria, Magmortar and Boufallant with Surf.
My Keldeo missed 2 Hydro Pumps in a row and his Magmortar Thunderbolted me to death, Altaria Fire Blasted Genesect away in OH and my Excadrill got surfed away final turn when it was 1 on 1 with Boufallant after EQ left him on the red. There goes my ranking completely I bet I'll drop under 1600 after that if not lower :(
Should've just called it a day at 1666 :(

EDIT: I just can't catch a break, I pick up a win and then lose to another 2 lower ranked players with stupid mistakes :( I really hope I don't have one of my losing streaks when I go to VGC next week because I think I'd actually cry :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.