• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 2013 Spring Friendly (Official Singles Wi-Fi Tournament Discussion Thread)

Are you participating in this tournament?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I don't see many all legendaries in this one... I feel bad that I filled MY team with black Kyurem, reshiram, zekrom, Genesect,and Keldeo...
Along with a hydriegon, because I thought that I would lose to the all-legends people... But I don't see as many as I thought and I feel bad....
Nah, it's fair to assume other people would use Legends. I myself though I'm fighting quite a few of them, a lot of Kyurem's now

giratina519

ra ra ra IERUKANA?!
Nah, it's fair to assume other people would use Legends. I myself though I'm fighting quite a few of them, a lot of Kyurem's now

Aw, thanks.... It's just that last time the legends were allowed, everybody wiped the floor with me because I didn't have kyurems and reshirams on my team like everyone else

MSK

I couldn't be bothered with any of the Kyurem forms they are too easy to KO :)

Joltik-Kid

Aw, thanks.... It's just that last time the legends were allowed, everybody wiped the floor with me because I didn't have kyurems and reshirams on my team like everyone else
That Rotation tourney? All I needed was Mewtwo and Genesect to do well, but yeah, people look at Kyurem's stats and think it's outstanding

I couldn't be bothered with any of the Kyurem forms they are too easy to KO :)
Their more bulky then I thought they'd be though :p (They keep tanking my Guts Max Attack Mach Punch from Conkeldurr)

giratina519

ra ra ra IERUKANA?!
If you met my flawless, shiny black Kyurem, you would see how durable Kyurem can be.... Only pokemon in my arsenal that can survive a dragon-gem'd Draco meteor with 1 HP remaining. ^_^
EDIT: took 3weeks of soft resets to get a flawless shiny Kyurem.... Just added this to prove its legitimacy....

joej m

Club Double Trouble
I wonder if I'll ever meet you in one of these tourneys ^^

juniors/seniors division
anyway 1770 right now, plan on breaking 1800 by the time i go to bed.

And for kyurem being bulky, every single pokemon on my team can OHKO all forms of kyurem :3

joej m

Club Double Trouble
Your Azumarill and Thundurus have to be weary though...

thundurus not so much. i just need to be careful of scarfs.
azumarill can tank a adamant not boosted draco meteor and outrage, and can choice band superpower back, so no problem there. it is usually best at predicting switches.

Joltik-Kid

thundurus not so much. i just need to be careful of scarfs.
azumarill can tank a adamant not boosted draco meteor and outrage, and can choice band superpower back, so no problem there. it is usually best at predicting switches.
Kyurem-W are more predominant from what I can tell, not to mention Scarf too ^^;

Quantum1024

Flaming Death
This is the first competition where I now have more wins than losses, and I am a first-hand witness of how horrifying a Darmanitan-Mamoswine (both 31 Speed and Attack IV Jolly) combo can become. Even I did not expect the Mamoswine to outspeed anything (I gave it a Liechi Berry so that it can revenge after tanking a hit), but it managed to surprise me (and the opponent) everytime by outspeeding almost everything, even a Haxorus. Then again, getting both to have those IVs took much cycling up and down Route 3 and abandoning unacceptable Pokemon, Nazi-style (I have a lot of DWF Swinub from my last breeding program).

The only one match I lost was when for some reason, my Darmanitan's Rock Slide (90% accurate) did not connect after the opponent's Thunderus-I (Nasty Plot set, not the Prankster set I was expecting) managed to KO my Mamoswine with a 70% accurate Focus Blast. The most frustrating part had to be that my Darmanitan was actually faster than the Thunderus, and that the Rock Miss cost me my team's momentum and thus the match.

2 Rage Quits today. Battle progress of the two offending matches are as follows:

VS. JOSE, from Andalusia, Spain. Rating: 1389
Active Pokemon: Starmie, Accelgor, Terrakion
Reserve Pokemon: Toxiocroak, Weavile, Electivire
Turns out Starmie are very fragile and can be outsped by an absolutely-maxed out Darmanitan. (I KO-ed the lead Starmie with a U-Turn that I did not expect to turn into a 1HKO. It was not a critical even) I continued the match by setting Spikes under Accelgor using my suicide Ferrothorn, which was actually able to tank Accelgor, so I switched to offensive mode and Gyro-Balled Accelgor to dust. The Terrakion after that got spiked and then dusted by another Gyro Ball.
Final score: 3-0 Clean Sweep
He rage-quitted after the end of the game, but it was too late: Nintendo's servers have already recorded my win over him.

VS. JOSH. Rating: 1434
Active Pokemon: Seismitoad, Chandelure, Archeops
Reserve Pokemon: Conkeldurr, Cobalion, Mienshao
I had an 'oh sh!t' moment when he brought out his Seismitoad and I brought out my Darmanitan, but I managed to pick up the pace by U-Turning out (seriously, this is my favorite move: It got me out of sticky situations like a charm) to my Ferrothorn. There I started to annoy him by using Leech Seed and Spikes, as the Ferrothorn laughed at the Seismitoad's attempt to KO it with Drain Punch (It lost more than it recovered except for the time it managed to get a crit). I put the Seismitoad out of its misery using Power Whip after Ferrothorn had its fun. Ferrothorn later got roasted by Chandelure, but was quickly avenged by a Sheer Force-Life Orb-boosted Rock Slide from Darmanitan (it missed once though, causing it to get Toxic-ed). Darmanitan later got destroyed by Archeops after missing another Rock Miss, but again, it was avenged by Mamoswine's Icicle Crash.
Final score: 1-0 Revenge Pileup success
He rage-quitted in time for Nintendo to not record the win.

I checked the stat calculator. Turns out my Mamoswine has a speed of 89 at level 30 and my Darmanitan has a speed of 99 at level 30, which means they can outspeed a ridiculous number of opponents. The fact that weather-based teams are way less common in this tournament probably helped my case, though I still pack a Sand Rush Excadrill (Jolly, also max Attack & Speed IV & EV) to counter Tyranitar and its friends.

Quantum1024

Flaming Death
Despite the non-existence of the Legendary restriction clause, I held on to my self-imposed ban against Legendaries (on my side), for the same reason I don't kidnap Barack Obama to be my personal assistant. Not that I needed legendaries anyway: My absolutely maxed out (in Speed and Attack) Darmanitan turns many opponents into ashes before they know what was coming for them. Even if they do, Darmanitan could make a hasty escape with U-Turn, probably doing the shoopy loopy as he brings out someone else. It proved its power by nabbing a 1HKO on a Kyurem-B with Rock Slide and U-Turning a Starmie into pieces (that was unintentional: I wanted to destroy it with a Ferrothorn).

I'm shocked by the lack of Imposter Ditto... mine keeps tearing it up. Only one person has ever switched out against it

I just checked Psypoke's calculator. Even with a Choice Scarf and maxed out Speed and it Imposter-ed my Darmanitan, it would find itself outsped and squished by the Darmanitan unless it had a Speed IV of at least 26 (Absolute Max Speed of Choice Scarf Ditto @ lvl 30 is 102). The only Pokemon in my team that could actually come close to a absolute max-speed Choice Scarf Ditto is my Hydreigon, and even that loses out by one point.

Last edited:

Arande

I just checked Psypoke's calculator. Even with a Choice Scarf and maxed out Speed and it Imposter-ed my Darmanitan, it would find itself outsped and squished by the Darmanitan unless it had a Speed IV of at least 26 (Absolute Max Speed of Choice Scarf Ditto @ lvl 30 is 102). The only Pokemon in my team that could actually come close to a absolute max-speed Choice Scarf Ditto is my Hydreigon, and even that loses out by one point.

Just throwing this out there, you do know ditto's speed changes to whatever it copies right? it's HP EV/IV's are the only thing that matters on it. Actually tempted to bring a ditto myself instead of my kyuren since it doesn't seem as good as you'd think. Course mine's adamant so no strong earth power :X I swear I'll stat fighting in a sec once I decide ditto, volcarona, or mienshao (I don't don't wanna get trolol'd by lv 1 arons)

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

You do realize Imposter Ditto get's your stats minus HP right?

***Arande beat me to it

Just throwing this out there, you do know ditto's speed changes to whatever it copies right? it's HP EV/IV's are the only thing that matters on it. Actually tempted to bring a ditto myself instead of my kyuren since it doesn't seem as good as you'd think. Course mine's adamant so no strong earth power :X I swear I'll stat fighting in a sec once I decide ditto, volcarona, or mienshao (I don't don't wanna get trolol'd by lv 1 arons)
Ditto has been my only means of stopping Genesect's. Aron's are super rare in this tourney, I haven't actually saw one yet

Last edited:

ludiloco

What's the point of using legendaries without a strategy? So far most of my battles were against Kyurems and I draco meteored the hell out of them.

ludiloco

... well it sounds like you dont have any strategy either ...

Yeah, like expecting all those Kyurems go scarfed and leading is not part of my strategy. I'm not even using legendaries btw.

What I'm saying is that many teams run with the tao trio and they mostly fall with any strong dragon type move and they don't have a strong steel-type to bulk them, and even if they carry one it's most likely a genesect, and as a sweeper it can't take any good hit and gets 2hkoed.

Arande

Problem with using ditto is I have my scarf on my moxie hera. Could change that out for something like my hydrei. Also afraid that if I overprepare for the common things I'll ignore the little ones too XD

meh, screw it. Salac it and try. Might as well go with this team and see what happens. What's the worst thing, I lose?
Then again ditto kinda needs the scarf. Bleh where's a dartboard or die when you need one.

bleh, 4-2 with one rage against me.

How do I lose to a kaldeo first match? o_O

And why? "Oh their last poke is a haxorus and mine is ditto with a scarf, yays." *sees the moveset* "fffffffffffffff"

on the good side, holy jeez is Boris (conkerdurr) a monster with all these terakion, kyurem and the like running around. Just laughing as he takes hits and drain punching things in the face. Seriously, he got like 2 of my wins as 3-0 alone.

I think the biggest problem I have with this format is just figuring out what to lead with. That Kaldeo thing I mentioned, I used witha chandeulure cause I over analyzed seeing his reunicleus and other slow pokes <_< Ah well, off tomorrow so yay battle alld ay.

Last edited:

MSK

Is it just me or is anyone else getting a few battle where the other person has only got 3 Pokémon!!
I've had 3 this morning, including one team that was so weak to Rock that I just put Ex out at front and swept them away without even having to think about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.