• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 2018 Serebii Holiday Fanfic Gift Exchange!

Dragonfree

Just me
The 2018 Serebii Holiday Gift Exchange!

Welcome to the 2018 Serebii Holiday Gift Exchange! Here, you can sign up for a fun fanfic gift exchange event taking place over the winter holidays. Sign up with your writing and reading preferences, get matched with a member who'd be likely to dig something you write, write them a story for the holidays, and receive another story from another writer in return!

(This event has concluded! Read the exchanged stories here!)

The Event

Sign-ups for the gift exchange now close on November 11th, 23:59 UTC.

To sign up, please PM Dragonfree with the following information:

- Prompts. Our gift exchange is based on prompts. A prompt can be anything from a single word ("snow", "jealousy") to a pretty specific description of what you'd like to see ("Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle traveling the Kanto region together without trainers and becoming friends", "Lance and Lorelei explore Ice Path"). Please give at least two prompts - even if you'd be happy with anything, a prompt will help get your assigned writer's imagination flowing! There's no formal upper limit on how many prompts you can give, but keep it reasonable.
- Anything you wouldn't want in your gift. For example, if a particular Pokémon wigs you out, or you don't want to read anything with a downer ending on Christmas, or you have some particular squicks or triggers not covered by the general fanfic forum rules, you'll want to note so to ensure your writer can get you a gift that'll make you happy.
- What you'd like to write. If you're good with particular genres, canons, characters, Pokémon - list them here and we'll try to match you with someone with a prompt you'd have fun with! If you think you could tackle anything, though, that's also fine.
- What you wouldn't want to write. If there's anything you'd be uncomfortable writing or don't think you could do justice - canons you're unfamiliar with, say - explain so here and we'll try not to give you a recipient requesting those things.

On November 12th, you should receive a PM with your assigned recipient! You'll see their name, their prompts and their no-nos. Pick one of their prompts and write a story of at least 800 words fulfilling it - this means including all aspects of the prompt, so if the prompt is the example above about Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, it has to be about those three Pokémon traveling Kanto, not having trainers, and becoming friends. Of course, if you get an idea where you'd also include elements of some of their other prompts, or if you even want to write them multiple stories for multiple different prompts, that's fine too!

We encourage you to check out your recipient's own stories, Authors' Café posts and so on to get a better idea of what they'd like.

Every Saturday starting on November 17th, you'll be expected to report on the progress of your story via PM - this is to ensure you don't just forget about it until the last minute! The final submission date is December 22nd, 23:59 UTC, but by the December 15th check-in, we want to hear you're nearly done - don't leave the writing of the story until that last week.

If something comes up and you foresee not being able to finish your story, please let us know as soon as possible! We will do everything in our power to ensure everyone gets a gift regardless of any drop-outs.

On December 25th, everyone's gifts will be made public on a special website! Read your gifts, thank your writers, share what the writing process was like with your recipient, and share in the holiday spirit.

Notes for Participants

- All general rules of the fanfic forum apply. Don't write or request content that wouldn't be allowed for posting in the forum. Any significantly violent or risque content should be reserved for when you're very confident it's what your recipient would like.
- You can't request stories for non-Pokémon fandoms. Unfortunately, this would quickly make it impossible to match prompts in community of this size. You can write or request original fiction, but avoid calling for specialized subjects not everyone would be familiar with.
- We'll try to match people as well as possible, but unfortunately it's not always possible to ensure that everyone gets a recipient with a prompt matching up with their likes. If you have a specific prompt asking for fic for something like a relatively obscure canon, try to also include at least one more general prompt that wouldn't require knowledge of that canon - we can't guarantee that anyone else signed up for the exchange is going to be familiar with it.
- You can use private beta-readers, but do not post your story anywhere in public until the gifts have been revealed! After Christmas, though, you're encouraged to post your story in the fanfic forum for further feedback - they'll even be eligible for the 2018 Fanfiction Awards if posted before the new year.

Last edited:

AmericanPi

Write on
Sweet! I'm definitely in and will get my form in soon (because I've prepared it in advance, haha).

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Oh nice, I'll definitely be signing up for this!

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Isn't this the same as the Yuletide event from years past? "Holiday Fanfic Gift Exchange" is such a lengthier title for it...
It is the same general idea but not intended to be the same, hence the different name.

On that note, posting to say that we're temporarily closing submissions. There may be some adjustments as well to the event; if so, there'll be a new post here noting that. Hang tight - hopefully soon we'll have things running again!

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Hiya, I just want to confirm that since signups are temporarily closed, the deadline isn't tonight, correct?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Hiya, I just want to confirm that since signups are temporarily closed, the deadline isn't tonight, correct?
Correct, we'll extend things as necessary.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes. The OP has now been updated and signups are open again. Please take the time to read the first post, including if you signed up already, as various aspects have changed. The new end date for sign-ups is the 11th of November.

We have implemented these changes in part to clarify that the Serebii Fic Exchange is not Serebii Yuletide. Yuletide will not be returning to SPPf in future years either, and the Gift Exchange will continue to change in order to better differentiate itself from Yuletide going forward.

We the fic staff team also want to apologise for the hold-up here and to those involved in the running of the Yuletide event here in the past and elsewhere, and anyone else affected. We were asked not to run another Yuletide event, and inadvertently made the Gift Exchange too similar to it. Thank you to those who expressed their concern on this issue; we intend to learn from this and do better.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
We were asked not to run another Yuletide event, and inadvertently made the Gift Exchange too similar to it.
Uh...why? Why did people ask not to do another Yuletide?
Also, should those of us who already sent in our forms resend them, even if nothing's changed on our end?
Also also, just to make sure I understand this right, the only thing that really changed in the updated OP is that we can now request completely original, non-fanfic stories, right?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Uh...why? Why did people ask not to do another Yuletide?
Also, should those of us who already sent in our forms resend them, even if nothing's changed on our end?
Also also, just to make sure I understand this right, the only thing that really changed in the updated OP is that we can now request completely original, non-fanfic stories, right?
We rather not discuss this in detail here, and derail the thread's purpose. I've sent you a PM instead on this point.

No need to resubmit unless you feel you want to change something. There are more changes than that too, such as dates for things to be due and the structure (no requests for pitch hitters anymore, for example).

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
All right, super glad to see this up! Took me a while to come up with some good prompts, but in the end I hope I put together a batch that someone will enjoy.

Dragonfree

Just me
Just a reminder that you have just under 24 hours left to sign up for the gift exchange!

Psychic

Really and truly
A huge thank-you to my fellow mods for getting this rolling! I just sent in my application, and I'm excited to participate!

~Psychic

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Sent in my application. Looking forward to participating!