• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 2018 Serebii Holiday Fanfic Gift Exchange!

Dragonfree

Just me
All right, everyone should have received PMs with their recipients, their prompts and anything they wouldn't want in their gifts by now! If anything went amiss, please let us know as soon as possible.

Psychic

Really and truly
Also, to address the question of betas, we both allow and encourage participants to take full advantage of beta readers for the Fanfic Gift Exchange! While you can absolutely use the Beta Reader Profiles thread to find a beta reader or volunteer, since this is a one-time thing on a deadline, the pool of betas may differ enough that using this thread to match writers and betas may be helpful!

So, if you are interested in being a beta reader, please feel free to post here and and simply say something like:

I am willing to be a beta reader!

Along with a short list any preferences you may have in terms of content or length.

From there, writers can reach out to betas via PM only! Please do not use this thread to coordinate! If a beta reader is no longer able to accept new fics to beta, please just edit your original post to say so!

~Psychic

kacklord

私はただ悲しかった
i am willing to be a beta reader! no real preference as far as content goes, except for that i'm pretty unfamiliar with the anime/manga canons. anything else goes though! whatever length is fine as long as it's not absurd.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths

Psychic

Really and truly
All of this week's check-in PMs should be sent, so please be sure to respond with where you're at, even if you haven't made any progress yet! (You are not alone!) Please also let us know if you didn't receive yours. Thanks!

~Psychic

Dragonfree

Just me
All right, everyone, time's almost up! Remember to get your stories in today or tomorrow UTC.

I've received some queries about how you should send in your entry, and the answer is you should send it to me (Psychic's going to be on vacation with no reliable internet access starting today, so she may not be able to pass it on!), but it can be in any format, so long as I can receive and read it. Simply copy-pasting your story into a PM is one of the easiest ways (PMs on XenForo seem to have a very loose character limit, unlike vBulletin), but you can also send me a link to a Google Doc, an e-mail, etc. For the gift reveals, all the stories will be collected and presented on a special webpage in a unified format, so the format you use to send it in does not matter!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Turned mine in just now. Whooooo--*passes out*

Dragonfree

Just me
It's time!

Look for the present with your name on the label, read the story, speculate about who might have written it - and then flip over the author label at the bottom to find out!

Happy holidays and thanks to everyone who participated! Feel free to thank your writers, react to your gifts and talk about your process writing your own stories in this thread.

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Wow wow wow, I absolutely loved this! Thank you so much to everyone for participating and especially to Dragonfree for putting this together! My gift story was incredible and hysterical--Regis would never make good Santas :p Merry Christmas everyone!!

DeliriousAbsol

Call me Del
Aww that's sweet, I enjoyed that =D I look forward to seeing more later on, too. Merry Christmas, everyone!

diamondpearl876

@Starlight Aurate ahhhhh THANK YOU for your gift! <33333 I loved seeing Pokérus in action in a fic, and the alternating bits of research/the delcatty being healed/Landon and his cute loyal trapinch made it even better to get different perspectives on things. When Landon just dropped the Pokérus vial, though, and hugged Trapinch... ;_; My favorite part, hands down. Thank you again!!!

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Ooh wow, that was a really cool story! I definitely wasn't expecting anyone to choose grimer or muk as the main focus for the story, but it worked out really well, and it was cool to see you explore some of the mythology and worldview of pokémon that people often overlook. Thanks a lot for writing this! I hope you enjoyed putting it together, because I definitely enjoyed reading it. :)

Also, huge thanks to Dragonfree for running this this year! The new site is super cute. Should have guessed that unseasonably-early delibird drawing might have something to do with it. ;)

Happy holidays, everyone, and I hope everybody who participated had a great time.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I've already thanked my Secret Santa, but just wanna bring it here and say I really liked my gift, it was very much a pleasant surprise. Almost didn't expect the kind of prompts to be used, at least not in the way they were implemented.

Thanks for hosting, Dragonfree. Looking forward to next year's.

Dragonfree

Just me
This event was hosted by all the mods! I made the site and sent the check-ins, but we were all involved in putting it together, and Psychic and I worked together on assigning writers and sending out the prompts.

Firaga Metagross

Auferstanden Aus Ruinen
I had totally forgot about my prompt, so it was a pleasant surprise. Thanks to @The Walrein for the story; I got some chuckles out of it. It reminded me of an old memory about one of my friends spending all of their PokeYen in there and not getting the teeth, so they couldn't beat the game.

As everyone else said, love the site for the stories. It's very cute and functional. I hope it won't get taken down in the future.

I had a really fun time writing and participating in this, let's do it again next year!

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
First of all, thank you Umbramatic for the delightful story! I was hoping whoever got my off the wall prompts would choose the Colress one in particular, and I didn't expect someone to combine prompts. It was a fun read for me since I had to get up super early today. Secondly, I like the guessing game aspect of the cave site. Once you see who was involved in the project as a whole, it was pretty entertaining trying to figure out people's writing styles and figuring out which person's story matched. I didn't get any of them right, of course, but it was a fun exercise. Thanks to all the mods for organizing the whole shebang and for getting everything done and uploaded as fast as it was (cuz I certainly know someone who sent their story in on the second to last possible day...>__>). I'd be interested in hearing what everyone's prompts were, so we can see what each person was working with and how they expanded/warped the prompt.

JFought

Sloooowly writing...
It took me way too long to get to this, but thank you @diamondpearl876 for the story! I love the way you interpreted the prompts, I love the story that went along with it, and I love the cute note it all ended on! Setting it in Alola was a great choice, and the relationship between Keahi and Lilinoe was really sweet. I'm especially glad someone went for the ranger prompt; I kinda thought of it last minute, but as soon as it came to mind I realized how much I wanted a story on a pokémon ranger. And I think you pulled it off really well! I could go on, but I should probably cut it short at risk of me rambling for too long.

Anyway, thank you to the mods for running this event! I'm also a fan of the site, for the same reasons outlined by others in the thread. I hope the holidays went well for everyone!

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
@Psychic -deep breath- aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa thank you so much your story was perfect, absolutely perfect and exactly what I could have wanted aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Okay enough gushing for now, thanks to everyone for running this event even with some hiccups! And you're welcome @The Teller hehehe, I HAD to use that Colress prompt somehow

diamondpearl876

It took me way too long to get to this, but thank you @diamondpearl876 for the story! I love the way you interpreted the prompts, I love the story that went along with it, and I love the cute note it all ended on! Setting it in Alola was a great choice, and the relationship between Keahi and Lilinoe was really sweet. I'm especially glad someone went for the ranger prompt; I kinda thought of it last minute, but as soon as it came to mind I realized how much I wanted a story on a pokémon ranger. And I think you pulled it off really well! I could go on, but I should probably cut it short at risk of me rambling for too long.

Ahh I'm happy to hear this, thank you! And you're entirely welcome! I originally was gonna just go with the ranger prompt, but I always do like to try to brainstorm with more than one of the prompts, and eventually, Meltan found its way in there. :p I wasn't sure how the connections would all play out with the dawn stone/sun/iron stuff in the eyes of a reader, so I'm glad to see it seemed to work out.

And indeed, thanks to the mods for putting this together! I mentioned it on the Discord but really it can't be said enough times. I'm sure the holidays are busy for you all too but I'm grateful you guys took the time to make it happen.