• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Abyssal Ruins (and other Ancient Legends)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battlestar

TRC Boss
Wow this is mind boggling. Amazing I really hope we learn what it means. Also I bet this is connected to the locations. Maybe in nova there were city-states that had war such as relic caste. It also is an ancient civilization.

~Light

I never actually cared about the text there xD

But I think they are going to do something with this in the 3rd game

Hojinisabeast22

I'm a Fan, Man!
What I think that will happen is that...
In pokemon Grey the 3 Genies will help you to get to Zekrom and Reshiram who are being raised by N when suddenly Kyurem Drops in and Drags them into the Giant Chasm. You then have to go there to save the world. Nifty huh?

Ememew

Emerald Mew
Tips for anyone who wants to "translate" the characters in the Abyssal Ruins without looking them up somewhere: the runes in the ruins are somewhat hard to translate since

1) they're read from right to left, even in the English version of the games, and contain no spaces in the phrases and

2) the symbols "rotate," so the character for "e" on the first floor becomes the character for "d" on the second, "c" on the third, and "b" on the fourth. (one symbol, which would be "z" on the first floor, which becomes "y" "x" and "w" as you ascend, doesn't ever appear at all).

There are also 4 numbers that appear only on the first floor (2, 3, 5, and 7) and 4 "untranslated" symbols on the fourth floor.

Finally, as "king" is often repeated, if you look for the same 4 runes that appear next to each other in the same order often, you might want to substitute "king" in for those (or "gnik" if you are reading left to right and are planning on turning the phrase around after substituting the letters).

About the 4 4th floor only runes, I wonder if they might relate to the Musketeer Quartet? I know that doesn't really fit with some symbols changing their locations between versions, as there is nothing version exclusive about the quartet, but those three are the only legendary group in B/W that comes in a set of 4 rather than 3 (although one has yet to become available). Alternatively, it may refer to the version exclusive legendaries (for the ones that swap between versions - "king defeated ? alone," and "? joined king in a day"), a common theory. Or they may even be the names of human characters from Unova's past rather than specific Pokemon ("the great king ?" in particular may refer to the name of a person rather than a Pokemon, so I don't see why the others couldn't as well).

EDIT:
Maybe in the phrase "king called ? beings" the symbol refers to "Pokemon" (meaning the king called Pokemon "beings:" equal to humans, as opposed to "creatures" or "animals". That's about the only thing that makes sense to me with "beings" being plural.

I fully expect more details of the ruins to become relevant to the 3rd Game's storyline, though, so whatever they mean, we'll probably know by the first few weeks of the release of the third game.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
The thing about the Musketeers is that it's implied that they're equal (or at least Terrakion and Virizion). Considering that each of those symbols does different things, I doubt that they're the Musketeers.

Ememew

Emerald Mew
2, 3, 5, and 7 are primes. Primes lead to truth.

I think Eternal Draconic may have been referring to the untranslated symbols being referred to as 3, 4, 5, and 6 rather than 1, 2, 3, and 4.
pkmnbw
rather than to the use of the "primes" (2, 3, 5, and 7). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, any ideas as to which number is "5" and which is "7" on the first floor? They both end with "th" unlike "2nd" and "3rd" so I'm not sure which is which. Though, now that I think about it, this is probably the answer to Eternal Draconic's question about why the untranslated markings are referred to as symbols "3" "4" "5" and "6" - because "1" and "2" denote the numbers 5 and 7 (figured to be either one or the other, so not marked by it in the quoted text in the first post).

Last edited:
What if it was referring to the musketeer trio:

King defeated ③ alone. <<< Cobalion defeated humans alone?

④ joined King in a day.<<< Keldeo joined king in a day?

King called ⑤ beings.<<< King called 2 beings? (Viziron + Terrakion?)

King is hope and future.

The great King ⑥.<<< The great king Cobalion?

GalladeX

King is hope and future.

It makes some sense, but you gotta wonder why someone would build a temple to a Steel/Fighting-type under the ocean.

Blazing Groudon

I HAV A TOP% RATATA!
It seems that strange texts are becoming a trend in the games:

Kanto: Pokemon Mansion journals.
Johto: Ruins of Alph.
Hoenn: Sealed Chamber.
Sinnoh: Solaceon Ruins/Old Chateau notebook.
Unova: Undersea Ruins.

As for theories, I think it's simple when approached logically.

King = Mudkip

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
How do you know it wasn't built above the ocean then sank?

That might have happened. It would've been much easier to build a temple on land than underwater, so it's very possible that something happened and the temple sank.

It seems that strange texts are becoming a trend in the games:

Kanto: Pokemon Mansion journals.
Johto: Ruins of Alph.
Hoenn: Sealed Chamber.
Sinnoh: Solaceon Ruins/Old Chateau notebook.
Unova: Undersea Ruins.

I like the text at the Abyssal Ruins a lot more, though. It took a while for people to decipher it, so I'm sure a lot of work was put into making the Abyssal Ruins as mysterious as possible. I still haven't made it too far into the Abyssal Ruins, but I'm glad that it exists, since there's a story to be told there.

Panbobo

MASUTA BOORU

King is hope and future.

Swap both and it makes sense, because Keldeo Dex says that Musketeers saved him, so King should've called Vizi and Terra before Keldeo joining. That of course, renders said interpretation wrong.

My thoughs so far:

King defeated ③ alone. <- King defeated Torna/Thundu alone
④ joined King in a day. <- Thundu/Torna joined King in a day
King called ⑤ beings. <- King called All beings
King is hope and future.
The great King ⑥ <- The great King Landorus
Of course it's just my fan wank, but i just want the Genie trio to get more involved into the story =P

Geekachu

Abyssal Ruins said:
King defeated ③ (Reshiram/Zekrom) alone
④ (Zekrom/Reshiram) joined King in a day
King called ⑤ (Simply three? Or draconic?) beings
King is hope and future.
The great King ⑥ (Player)

It seemed like a prophecy to me, however the fact that it's written in past tense is even more perplexing. I was wondering weather in the original Unova story of the two brothers, that there was an unknown third brother, i.e. a parallel of the player.

It could always be a documentation of history, however it could also have qualities of a prophecy if history is repeating itself. I dunno, but it's really intriguing.

Radlin

He Returns.
I think I got all the items in the Abyssal Ruins. I still need to get the Splash and Draco Plate on Route 13, I think.

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
Interesting theories. I love that Game Freak gave us something to look into this much, its really cool.

This whole thing brings to mind the evidence of other ancient civilizations in Unova, 3 in all. There's the Abyssal ruins, presumably a sunken empire. There was some kind of civilization in the desert, proven by both the ruins and Sigilyph's Pokedex description as a protector of an old civilization. Finally, there is evidence of an ancient civilization built in and around Dragonspiral Tower. According to the Pokedex, Golett and Golurk were created by humans as protectors of the people or that civilization. I wonder if these three peoples were at war, and possibly destroyed each other?

Guywhoiam

Dr. Researcher Man
Interesting theories. I love that Game Freak gave us something to look into this much, its really cool.

This whole thing brings to mind the evidence of other ancient civilizations in Unova, 3 in all. There's the Abyssal ruins, presumably a sunken empire. There was some kind of civilization in the desert, proven by both the ruins and Sigilyph's Pokedex description as a protector of an old civilization. Finally, there is evidence of an ancient civilization built in and around Dragonspiral Tower. According to the Pokedex, Golett and Golurk were created by humans as protectors of the people or that civilization. I wonder if these three peoples were at war, and possibly destroyed each other?

I do not remember the legend that was told, but didn't it mention something about a war in Unova that the brothers stopped?

Kameinu

Arooo!
Who says they all weren't the part of one big empire? Remember there's also the two brothers. And there'd be a potential third player in all this if we take into consideration this supposed King.

Also, didn't those writings mention something of a wave? It could be a wave that sunk the underwater ruins.

Status
Not open for further replies.