• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Age of Harmony (12+)

Well apparently it was your Birthday at some point so Happy Birthday.

I have been coming on here every few days to see if you have posted a chapter. Or replied to my first post. I didn't search the fics to find yours because I expected a message in my inbox saying you replied or something... I am still getting used to the forums. So Im sorry I missed the last chapter review.

He got his first badge, so that is exciting. I don't know how to put the little spoiler button in but SPOILER ALERT: I wonder how long his gym quest will go on. Clearly it is important to him but I think his plans to stop Plasma could get in the way... And rightfully so. I could definitely be wrong but its just my thought. END SPOILER ALERT.

Its been about a month since I played any of the games and I couldn't remember all of the characters so I had to do a google search to ensure that the inter pool agent wasn't an actual character. If my google search is correct you made him up so that is interesting... It will be cool to see how you intertwine all of this to either fit in with the Games storyline or possibly expand/re work the story.

Dalton is thinking hard about a very valid question. Does he have the right to force his Pokemon to fight? The answer is no. But that isn't what training is. The Pokemon go out and compete, they don't get forced to fight. I think he started to possibly get his first exposure to that in the Pokemon Center with his conversation with Nina.

As for your reply to my first comment; How much you like character development is obvious in how much attention you pay to it. As I said earlier you make us understand your characters quite well.

I completely understand what you mean by a growing character list. I have face that issue myself. I often find myself adding characters and expanding their roles. In the early days of my novel I had a character that was only supposed to be in one chapter. I enjoyed writing that character so much that she has now taken a much larger role in my story. An even better example was in a rough draft of mine I has an unnamed character that was only supposed to be in the story for a few paragraphs. Some how or another I decided to give him a name.. and then a character that I really enjoyed to write began to form so I gave him a back story... and then he became a main character in my story lol... There is obviously a limit and I have found myself having to address it too. In the end you just have to say I don't think I can fit that in this story without hurting the story in the long run. Some times something you really like has to be left out but that doesn't mean it needs to be forgotten. An unused character or an idea could always find a new role in a different story. But I think it is okay for it to happen because you are the author. It is your story. if you like an idea, do it. I write because I enjoy it so if I find a character that I really enjoy writing than I have no problem adjusting my story and expanding the character's role as long as long as you don't get too carried away.

As for posting something on here. I would really, really like to but I have my hesitations for a few reasons. First off is I am not comfortable making any of my works public yet because I don't feel the stories are ready yet. I feel like I still have a lot of work to do on them. Until I am comfortable with them I don't want to make them public... I have not let anyone read more than a few tiny bits of the overall story. My second issue is that I plan on publishing my story someday and I don't know how it would work with protecting my rights to my story if I am posting it online for everyone to read? I don't want that to sound bad, I really want to share my story but I want to make sure I have the opportunity to publish it someday. (IT HAS A LOT OF WORK LEFT BEFORE I AM AT THAT POINT)

With that I leave with one final remark. I really enjoyed your explanation for about getting inspiration from creative writing. We actually have a few things in common; I am a big fan of Gundam Seed and its sequel. You said "What you take in as a writer is often what comes out, even if you don't mean it to." I think that is a great way of stating it. I also enjoyed the casserole metaphor... for some reason I pictured it as tatertot casserole. But as you said you have a long list of things that you found inspiration in. But I think that is good because as a writer I try to soak in everything around me. Music, tv, movies, video games, books, Fan Fics, my own experiences and observations... the list is long.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Venastois

Hey EM1

So, this is definitely nostalgic coming back to your stories. I started reading way back in PR:J, and If I remember correctly that was back when I was in high school. It was great being able to come home and escape to the world that you created. I found myself reading through AP but ended up stopping, being that pokemon became less and less a part of what I did. But for whatever reason, two years later I still remembered your story, and decided to go back and finish. And man, what a climax!

I saw your new novel here, and since you opened the story I knew it was something I was going to fall in love with. I'm officially addicted, and you've finally made me come out of my proverbial reader's closet because I had to comment on how wonderful your writing has become and is. I'm actually in my last year in college, and STILL enjoy your stories. I sincerely hope you pursue a career as a writer because I definitely will pick up your first novel.

Anyway, PLEASE for the LOVE of ALL that is GOOD and JUST in this WORLD keep posting chapters. :)

love,
Your closet reader.

EonMaster One

saeculum harmonia
So I woke up this morning, came onto SPPf and realized... holy crap, it's been SIX WEEKS since I last posted. That's... no good. :-\

Air Dragon:

Dude, really? It's meant to be YOUR birthday today, not ours... :p

I'm generous like that. :)

So, Colress utterly dominates. I'm surprised he didn't use a Magnemite, considering his final line-up. But then again... they don't learn Shock Wave as early, do they?

Lots of things can happen in two years, no? (And, no, they don't learn Shock Wave nearly as early. Not to mention that if we're keeping to the original BW Pokedex, it wouldn't make sense for him to have a Magnemite, would it? That doesn't mean he can't get one later, though. ;-)

We also see Assad, and despite the facade, methinks someone likes him... or the attention... :p

Was that rhyme accidental? :p

Dalton, you silly goose, your journey's only getting started. You better get with the program before Nina does more that scalp your leg...

It's possible to scalp a leg? I'll have to ruminate on that one for a little bit.

Random Comment Guy:

I have been coming on here every few days to see if you have posted a chapter. Or replied to my first post. I didn't search the fics to find yours because I expected a message in my inbox saying you replied or something... I am still getting used to the forums. So Im sorry I missed the last chapter review.

Actually, I think you can have that happen for you if you subscribe to this thread. That's up to you, obviously, if you want to do that. Thanks for the birthday wishes, too!

He got his first badge, so that is exciting. I don't know how to put the little spoiler button in but SPOILER ALERT: I wonder how long his gym quest will go on. Clearly it is important to him but I think his plans to stop Plasma could get in the way... And rightfully so. I could definitely be wrong but its just my thought. END SPOILER ALERT.

I believe the
tag is the tag you were looking for there. But as that really wasn't so much a spoiler as pure speculation, I don't believe it would have been necessary. And as for the answer... even if I knew, I obviously wouldn't say at this juncture, but the fact is, I don't know. I'm still in the stage of tooling around with various ending scenarios for this story. I do plan to some degree, but not so much every specific detail of the fic. Phineas Assad was a fairly late addition into the character cast. Nothing's final until it's posted, basically.

Its been about a month since I played any of the games and I couldn't remember all of the characters so I had to do a google search to ensure that the inter pool agent wasn't an actual character. If my google search is correct you made him up so that is interesting... It will be cool to see how you intertwine all of this to either fit in with the Games storyline or possibly expand/re work the story.

Dalton is thinking hard about a very valid question. Does he have the right to force his Pokemon to fight? The answer is no. But that isn't what training is. The Pokemon go out and compete, they don't get forced to fight. I think he started to possibly get his first exposure to that in the Pokemon Center with his conversation with Nina.

As for your reply to my first comment; How much you like character development is obvious in how much attention you pay to it. As I said earlier you make us understand your characters quite well.

Nope, Phineas is an original character...a good one, I'm hoping. Otherwise, there's really no reason for him to be there. And, yes, Dalton, as much as he hates what Team Plasma stands for, also wonders if they might have had a point. It'll likely be something he goes back and forth on for a while. Keep in mind, he's still new to all of this. And I'm glad you like my character development - but some time away from this fic (to work on music and some other writing projects) has sort of uncovered some holes in this character cast that I hope to fill in future chapters.

I completely understand what you mean by a growing character list. I have face that issue myself. I often find myself adding characters and expanding their roles. In the early days of my novel I had a character that was only supposed to be in one chapter. I enjoyed writing that character so much that she has now taken a much larger role in my story. An even better example was in a rough draft of mine I has an unnamed character that was only supposed to be in the story for a few paragraphs. Some how or another I decided to give him a name.. and then a character that I really enjoyed to write began to form so I gave him a back story... and then he became a main character in my story lol... There is obviously a limit and I have found myself having to address it too. In the end you just have to say I don't think I can fit that in this story without hurting the story in the long run. Some times something you really like has to be left out but that doesn't mean it needs to be forgotten. An unused character or an idea could always find a new role in a different story. But I think it is okay for it to happen because you are the author. It is your story. if you like an idea, do it. I write because I enjoy it so if I find a character that I really enjoy writing than I have no problem adjusting my story and expanding the character's role as long as long as you don't get too carried away.

I feel like it's almost harder in a fanfic than it is if you were just writing your own fiction novel. The last thing you want in fanfiction, IMO, is for the canon characters not to be well-written. I feel that disconnects readers from the original universe and makes that universe come off as a stolen framing device that you pasted your own characters into because you were too lazy/uncreative to create your own universe. That's part of the reason that I stopped Maverick Heart. I tried for some originality and I think I achieved it, but at the cost of giving respect to the universe that the story was supposed to be based in. I don't know if that make much sense to you, but... there you have it.

As for posting something on here. I would really, really like to but I have my hesitations for a few reasons. First off is I am not comfortable making any of my works public yet because I don't feel the stories are ready yet. I feel like I still have a lot of work to do on them. Until I am comfortable with them I don't want to make them public... I have not let anyone read more than a few tiny bits of the overall story. My second issue is that I plan on publishing my story someday and I don't know how it would work with protecting my rights to my story if I am posting it online for everyone to read? I don't want that to sound bad, I really want to share my story but I want to make sure I have the opportunity to publish it someday. (IT HAS A LOT OF WORK LEFT BEFORE I AM AT THAT POINT)

Well, I wish you all the luck with that. I'm more a hobbyist writer myself. I haven't ruled out maybe being a published writer if I ever come up with a good original story, but I actually devote most of my creative juices to music nowadays.

With that I leave with one final remark. I really enjoyed your explanation for about getting inspiration from creative writing. We actually have a few things in common; I am a big fan of Gundam Seed and its sequel. You said "What you take in as a writer is often what comes out, even if you don't mean it to." I think that is a great way of stating it. I also enjoyed the casserole metaphor... for some reason I pictured it as tatertot casserole. But as you said you have a long list of things that you found inspiration in. But I think that is good because as a writer I try to soak in everything around me. Music, tv, movies, video games, books, Fan Fics, my own experiences and observations... the list is long.

I actually liked Seed but was sorta meh on the sequel. It was almost as if they couldn't decide who they wanted the main character to be. My favorite Gundam series is actually Wing, followed by Seed. Gundam 00 ranks pretty highly up there for me, too, in terms of storyline. Characters, not so much. Not human enough. And don't forget the classic MSG, too.

And I've actually never eaten tatertot casserole. ^_^

Venastois:

Hey, old friend! Great to see you again!! :)

So, this is definitely nostalgic coming back to your stories. I started reading way back in PR:J, and If I remember correctly that was back when I was in high school. It was great being able to come home and escape to the world that you created. I found myself reading through AP but ended up stopping, being that pokemon became less and less a part of what I did. But for whatever reason, two years later I still remembered your story, and decided to go back and finish. And man, what a climax!

I've probably said this a hundred times, but I'll say it again. I apologize to you and everybody that had to read that long slog of a final epilogue chapter. I believe it was something on the order of 60 pages. I know it required a quadruple post. Simply awful. I'm glad you at least enjoyed it, though. :) And yep, it's been a while since PR:J was released. We're actually coming up on ten years since I wrote the first chapter (I believe it was somewhere around February 2004. I was on the forums under a different name back then.) We've all become old fogies in the process (I'm three years removed from college myself, actually...) and I hope, somehow, that I've become a better writer in that long span of time.

Wait... it just occurred to me - do you graduate this/last weekend? If so, then CONGRATS!

I saw your new novel here, and since you opened the story I knew it was something I was going to fall in love with. I'm officially addicted, and you've finally made me come out of my proverbial reader's closet because I had to comment on how wonderful your writing has become and is. I'm actually in my last year in college, and STILL enjoy your stories. I sincerely hope you pursue a career as a writer because I definitely will pick up your first novel.

Anyway, PLEASE for the LOVE of ALL that is GOOD and JUST in this WORLD keep posting chapters.

Like I said to Random Comment Guy, my first love is actually music and I'm working on getting that career off the ground. However, if I get a good story idea to gain traction, I might consider it one day. :)

And, yes, I'll continue posting chapters.... and I'll try not to wait six weeks before the next one.

Last edited:

EonMaster One

saeculum harmonia
~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~
12. Lake, Superior?
~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~

Panting desperately, Dalton Gregg collapsed alongside a proud tree.

“<Hey~?>” squeaked the Nidoran that ran up beside him. Her vaguely rodent-like ears turned downward as she looked up at an approaching shadow. “<I think he’s done.>”

“Someone needs more exercise.” The girl knelt in front of him. Dalton, still breathing heavily and clutching the stitch at his side, looked down at the Nidoran.

“I need… a break. You’re not… tired, Nina?” he asked.

“<I’m not about to collapse and fall over,>” Nina answered matter-of-factly.

“<Tee-hee! I told you not to make him carry the bag,>” another voice yelped as a six-tailed fox bounded to the girl. It was strange. Once Dalton had learned to communicate with Nina, Sionna (though the two were not as close) came rather easily.

Groaning, Dalton leaned his head back against the trunk of the tree and looked up into its boughs. It was a thick, strong, majestic thing, a veteran of many summers and winters. Its leaves screened the sun like a loose canopy, the wind causing their shadows to dance back and forth along the ground below. Light cooing could be heard in the distance – from where and from what, Dalton wasn’t exactly sure.

“You’re not moving, are you?” asked Talia. Dalton shook his head. Talia sighed. “Guess we’re making camp here, then.”

“Camp?” Dalton looked up.

“Yeah,” Talia answered, slinging a backpack off her shoulder. “Past here, there’s a huge lake with a bunch of long bridges to cross. We don’t want to get caught halfway when it gets dark.”

“Just as well,” Dalton replied, trying and failing to move. “We’ve been going all day.”

As Talia busied herself setting up camp, Dalton ran his hand over his black hair and sweaty, now somewhat tanned face.

“Damn it,” he swore. “That was, what, six battles? Eight?”

Nina shook her head. “<I lost count.>”

“Who the hell thought up the bright idea to give Pokémon to pre-schoolers?” groaned Dalton.

“It’s actually not all that uncommon,” Talia replied, her voice shifting around in Dalton’s head space as she continued moving. “A lot of parents give their young children a Pokémon to help raise. It helps them learn responsibility and all that. One of the projects my dad helped with was gathering info for a study on young adults who grew up with a Pokémon in the house and comparing them with those that didn’t.”

“Like me, obviously,” Dalton answered.

“Well –” Talia stammered apologetically. “Yeah, I guess. Speaking of Pokémon…”

Dalton remained silent. He didn’t know where Talia was going.

“Hey… up here.”

Dalton looked up. Talia was hanging from one of the branches, her hair falling in a reddish sheet. She turned herself over and landed gracefully at Dalton’s feet (which were now sporting some new shoes that were more travel-worthy). Dalton always wondered how she did that.

“Isn’t it about time you filled out your team?” asked Talia.

“Team?” Dalton repeated, frowning in confusion.

“Of Pokémon,” answered Talia, as if Dalton should have known this already. “You only have Nina, right? And, I mean… she’s good, but… hardly any Gym Leader or Trainer you’re gonna run into is only gonna use one Pokémon. Nina can’t battle all of them.”

“Well –” stammered Dalton, taking a brief glance at the Nidoran and then looking back at Talia defiantly. “Why can’t she?”

“Well, first off, because there’s only one of her,” Talia answered. “She can only take so much fighting.”

“Are you calling Nina weak?” Dalton asked, staggering up to his feet. Talia grimaced.

“Come on… no. But even strong Pokémon get worn out. They can only battle so long before they get tired. I hear the Champion has six Pokémon on hand – all fully evolved, too. I’m not saying it’s impossible to beat a team of six with just one Pokémon… but why put that burden on yourself, or on Nina?”

Dalton looked down briefly at Nina.

“It’s just food for thought, is all…” Talia replied, going back to busying herself. Dalton slumped back down to the tree.

“Wish we could have some food for my stomach,” he muttered.

“<No kidding,>” Nina agreed.

“So, what do you think?” asked Dalton.

Nina’s ears drooped. “<No way.>”

“You don’t think Talia has a point?” asked Dalton.

“<I don’t care if she has a point. That’s not the point,>” Nina answered. “<I thought you said we were going to do this.>”

Dalton then had a flash of a vision flit through his head – two large, rampaging dragons…

“I’ve just got this feeling that…” Dalton muttered, shaking his head. “We should take all the help we can get.”

“<I can’t believe this…>” Nina staggered backward. “<You don’t think I’m good enough.>”

“You don’t understand—” Dalton started.

Nina rolled her eyes and then muttered, “<I’m going for a walk.>”

“Nina…!” grunted Dalton. He swore as he struggled against his cramping thighs to get to his feet. “Do we have to do this right now…?”

He limped after Nina, cursing himself several times over.

“<Hey!!>” yelled Sionna. “<Where are you going?>”

“C’mon, Nina!” shouted Dalton, struggling against his cramping legs as he walked through a thicket what seemed like hours later. “This isn’t funny anymore!”

His eyes flicked up into a nearby tree as he wondered whether Nina had climbed it to hide from him. Could Nidoran climb trees? He’d never bothered asking. He noticed that the sky was a duller blue than it had been.

“Damn… that late already?” murmured Dalton, smoothing down his dark hair. His heart sank. What if he didn’t find Nina before it got dark? If he went much further from camp, he would get himself lost for sure. Would Talia come looking for him? He was a bit surprised that she hadn’t already…

What if Nina simply never came back? Was he supposed to catch another Pokémon? It wouldn’t be the same. Of course, the fact that he had contemplated catching another Pokémon was the start of all this mess…

A loud whipping sound startled Dalton. He looked up and glimpsed several creatures seemingly sprouting from a wooded area in the distance. There had to be at least two dozen shadows, all with furiously beating wings as they tried to ascend into the evening sky, raising a cacophony of squawking.

“What was that?” Dalton asked, mustering up a bit more energy and continuing to walk, this time in the direction of the disturbed woods. He found himself leaving the beaten path and ambling through trees and bushes (wincing slightly as outstretched branches carved shallow scratches into his exposed legs). The brown shadow of what looked like a Patrat darted away in front of him. Strange cries were now audible in the distance. Dalton shuddered. This was exactly why he hated forests at nighttime. Not to mention bad things seemed to happen to him in the woods – like getting shot, for instance. Not that he expected something quite that disastrous. A week of knowing where (and when) he was had finally cured him of the fear of seeing Union Party soldiers behind each tree and around every other corner. Talia would probably call him an idiot for venturing this far into the wilds with no Pokémon at his disposal. Then again, if his Pokémon was at his disposal and hadn’t run away to God-knows-where, he wouldn’t be wading through grass and brush trying to find her. A vague neighing sound – a familiar noise that made Dalton’s heart skip a beat – echoed in the distance.

“<Nobody’s bothering you!>” another yell came soon after. “<Just go away!>”

Dalton’s breath caught in his chest. It was Nina – she was in an argument with another Pokémon. And if Dalton knew what any Pokémon cry sounded like, he knew that one. As he drew nearer to the sounds, he heard Nina shout, “<I’m warning you – don’t come any closer!>”

Dalton peered through the tall grass. Nina was standing in a clearing, and across from him, unmistakable with its black-and-white striped body, was a Blitzle. Behind Nina, crumpled on the ground, was a small, grayish lump that seemed to be struggling to move. Blitzle reared up on its hind legs and whinnied louder than Dalton thought a Pokémon that size was capable.

“<You don’t scare me!!>” Nina shouted back – but Blitzle’s motion had caused her to wince noticeably. Dalton grit his teeth…

“HEY!!!” He jumped from behind the bush. He felt something catch the arch of his foot…

Damn.

Thankfully, he had just enough to time to get his hands down. They hit the ground first instead of his face. Nina and Blitzle both jumped and turned to the newcomer.

Nina blinked twice. “<Nice entrance.>”

Dalton groaned in pain and annoyance, picking himself up from the ground.

Blitzle went on with a shaky bit of whinnying and snorting. It was almost like…

“<HEY!>” snapped Nina. “<It’s not funny! Okay… maybe it was kind of funny, but you’re not allowed to laugh!!>”

Blitzle did stop laughing, suddenly giving Nina a stare that was utterly unfriendly.

“<Y-you wanna fight?>” Nina uttered, and her voice seemed a bit squeakier than normal. “<You wanna fight?! Come on, then!>”

Soft, cooing came from the gray lump. From this close, Dalton could make out a short but very pointed beak.

“<Hey – you shut it!>” Nina snapped, turning back to the beaked creature. “<I know what I’m doing.>”

Dalton thrust his PokéDex at the grayish lump of feathers.

“Pidove,” Amanita’s voice answered from the PokéDex in a tone of affected maturity. “The Tiny Pigeon Pokémon. Each follows its Trainer's orders as best it can, but they sometimes fail to understand complicated commands.”

“Doesn’t sound very smart,” Dalton commented.

“<You’re telling me,>” replied Nina.

Blitzle neighed again.

“<Shut up!>” Nina seemed to lose her temper. She rushed Blitzle for all she was worth. The pony-like Pokémon simply moved aside and dodged the Nidoran’s sweeping claw. Rearing again, Blitzle broke into a gallop, accelerating and accelerating until it was no more than a blur. Nina turned around, but she was not in time. Blitzle slammed into her, driving her backward. Dalton winced as Nina smashed into a nearby tree back-first and then landed painfully on one of its outstretched roots. Blitzle lowered its head. Its thunderbolt-shaped horn started to crackle…

“Nina, heads up!!” Dalton yelled.

Blitzle buckled. With a whinny of shock and pain, it looked up. Something gray and winged was flapping its wings furiously. Dalton noticed that the wind had picked up very suddenly as well.

“<No! Idiot!>” Nina snarled. “<Get out of the way!>”

A strange wave was unleashed from Blitzle’s horn and body. Whatever it was, it caused Nina to wince in pain and felled the Pidove from the sky almost instantly – not to mention making Dalton’s hair stand on end.

“Nina, use Double Kick!” Dalton shouted. Blitzle lowered its head and (to Dalton’s great horror) tried to pin Nina to the tree using its horn. Nina managed to escape just barely and slammed her two back feet into one of Blitzle’s legs, buckling it. She leapt upon Blitzle’s back and used it rather violently as a springboard. She slid to a stop at Dalton’s feet, turning around to face her battered opponent.

“<You see?>” she breathed. “<I’m… all… you… need.>”

This caused Dalton to hesitate, as he’d been going into his pocket. Nina looked at him. Dalton quickly slipped the Pokéball back into his shorts. He eyed the Blitzle for a moment. Its leg was injured. It would not be able to escape easily.

Or at least, that’s what Dalton had thought. To his surprise, the Blitzle jumped up and bounded away into the shadow of the trees.

“<And don’t come back!>” Nina shouted after it.

The Pidove cooed thankfully, stretching its wings, which were singed but still attached. Dalton did nothing for a moment and listened to the conversation between the two Pokémon. From what he could gather, this particular Blitzle had been bullying the Pidove in the area for a while. Thinking back, Dalton realized that the flapping gray shadows he’d seen leaving the area must have been the rest of this Pidove’s flock. It had stayed behind to stand up to this Blitzle but had come off worse in the fight, which was why Nina had needed to step in.

The two Pokémon’s conversation seemed to be growing a bit louder. Finally, Nina jumped back.

“<That’s just fine with me! I hope you see that Blitzle again, and I hope it kicks your –>”

Nina,” Dalton interrupted. Nina turned her head toward him. “It’s getting dark. We should probably head back to –”

Dalton was cut off – a strong and very sudden blast of wind staggered him. Nina, meanwhile, was caught up into the air and pitched halfway across the clearing. She landed hard on her back and rolled several times. Meanwhile, Dalton caught sight of the Pidove taking flight, while Nina rolled to her feet, looked up, and started shouting a litany of phrases and interjections at it, none of which could have been translated into polite speech. She stood there for a moment, fuming, so angry that it looked like her ears were changing color.

“Can we go back to camp now?” asked Dalton.

“<Did I prove my point?>” asked Nina.

Dalton sighed and kneaded the bridge of his nose.

When Dalton (with Nina in tow, atop his shoulder) arrived at the camp again, he saw that Talia had gathered a pile of wood, presumably for a fire later that evening. As for Talia herself, though, she was nowhere to be found. Sionna was there, though, her tails swishing as she rested next to the log pile. Her eyes had been closed; but she had heard Dalton’s footsteps. Her eyelids snapped open.

“<You’re alive,>” Sionna said. “<I thought something in the forest got you.>”

“Not really,” Dalton chuckled. Nina, meanwhile, growled mutinously.

“<What’s wrong with you?>” asked Sionna. Nina leapt off Dalton’s shoulder.

“<That…>” Nina murmured. Then, she cut herself off with another growl.

“Where’s Talia?” Dalton asked, looking around.

“<Oh…>” Sionna answered nonchalantly. “<She went for a walk.>”

“A walk?” repeated Dalton. “Why didn’t you go with her?”

“<Someone has to watch the camp,>” Sionna answered.

“The camp?” Dalton repeated. “Well… who’s watching her?

“<Tee-hee,>” Sionna giggled. “<You can, if you want.>”

Dalton tilted his head. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“<Just go look for her,>” Sionna sighed. “<I’m staying here to watch the camp.>”

Dalton sighed. “Fine… Nina, you coming along?”

“<Sure, I guess,>” murmured Nina, not sounding fully committed.

“<You look tired. Get some rest,>” Sionna advised.

Nina thought that was strange and gave Sionna a bewildered look. The two seemed to have a wordless conversation until Sionna looked at Dalton and said, “<I don’t think she went too far away.>”

“Geez, that’s a comfort,” muttered Dalton, finally giving up and stalking away, hands in his pockets.

Nina looked at Sionna.

“<Why didn’t you go?>” the Nidoran asked.

“<Simple,>” Sionna answered. “<She went where I couldn’t follow her. Water and I have a love-hate relationship – I love to hate it.>”

“<Water?>” Now Nina was even more confused.

“<There’s a giant lake close to here,>” answered Sionna.

“<She’s underwater?>” uttered Nina, her face now shocked. “<That’s… a problem, isn’t it?>”

“<Just relax,>” Sionna said, punctuating her comment with a giggle. “<So, um…? How long do you give it?>”

“<What?>” asked Nina a bit tersely.

“<How long?>” repeated Sionna. “<Until they… you know…>”

Nina shook her head. “<I’m not following you.>”

Sionna sighed and then dropped her voice to a whisper. “<How long do you think until they mate?>”

If Nina had been a human being sitting in a chair – or even just sitting in a chair – she would have fallen out of it. “<Wh-WHAT?>” she uttered, her face going red.

“<Well, if humans don’t mate, where do all the other humans come from?>” Sionna queried, tilting her head – a fair question.

“<That’s not the point!>” exclaimed Nina. “<I don’t think…>”

“<One’s male, one’s female. Come on, Nina, don’t make this difficult,>” Sionna laughed.

“<I don’t think it works like that,>” Nina cut her off. “<Humans aren’t like us.>”

“<Are they really that different?>” asked Sionna.

“<Can you walk on two legs?>” answered Nina snarkily.

Sionna didn’t answer – she just laughed.

Meanwhile, Dalton had followed the path as far as it would take him. He ran out of natural land, but a manmade bridge seemed to be covering the gap between this strip of land and… something. It had become too dark to see very far, although small lanterns seemed to pepper the sides of the bridge, and the moon was shining quite brightly above.

His eyes were failing him in this darkness. Dalton was a bit nearsighted anyway, and he’d been due to get an eye exam for some contacts before this little temporal snag. He’d just have to live with it now. Maybe a few weeks – or months, or years, or however long it took – without staring at his laptop would reverse some of the damage.

Probably not.

Finally giving up, he decided to try the old, time-tested method:

Talia!!

He put his hands to his mouth so the shout would travel as far as possible.

He walked several steps onto the bridge.

Talia!!

“Damn, can you be any louder?” a familiar voice sounded from (how was this possible?) right below him. Dalton looked down and into the water. Staring up at him, reflecting the moonlight, were the blue eyes of Talia Renard. “Seriously. My eardrums are bleeding.”

She turned around.

“Where’s Nina?” she asked, drifting away from the bridge. Dalton didn’t answer. She scoffed. “You idiot. You know you’re not supposed to go wandering off without your Pokémon – let alone at night.”

“Look who’s talking,” answered Dalton. “Miss ‘I-think-I’ll-leave-my-Pokémon-at-the-campsite-and-just-go-for-a-quick-dip.’”

There was a long silence.

“You might as well stick around,” Talia said offhandedly. “Water’s not bad for it not being that warm out.”

“You mean… get in?” Dalton grimaced. “Yeah, I think I’ll pass. Swimming in a lake doesn’t sound like my idea of fun.”

“You don’t know how to swim, do you?” asked Talia very quickly.

“Why would you say that?” replied Dalton, also very quickly.

“It was a guess.”

Dalton grimaced.

“I mean… sure, I can swim… kind of,” answered Dalton. “I mean… I know how to keep my head above water and not drown.”

“Well, that’s fine. I wasn’t planning on doing laps or anything…” Talia answered.

“Yeah, well… I don’t have anything to swim in,” Dalton murmured. He realized something. Then he hesitated. Then he decided to go ahead and say it, “And when did you get a swimsuit? I don’t remember you going shopping.”

The fact was, since he’d won his badge, they hadn’t been separated long enough for her to have time.

“Why do you ask so many questions?” Talia replied. “It’s dark and there’s no one out here but us, so why does it matter?”

“Because I’m not a fan of skinny-dipping,” answered Dalton flatly.

“Geez…” Talia whispered, rolling her eyes. Suddenly, she pushed down on the ground right in front of Dalton and rose from the water. Dalton turned his eyes away, and Talia must have noticed, because she said, “I’m not naked, okay?”

And indeed, Talia was covered, but not much. She was wearing what seemed rather like an imitation of a swimsuit, with a strapless bra and the shorts that she normally wore under her dress. Dalton had glimpsed the shorts a couple of times – completely by accident, of course. And, for as much as she was willing to let Dalton see her in a semi-undressed state, she didn’t seem very comfortable about it. Her body language was uncharacteristically shy. In fact, after a few seconds of uncomfortable silence, she slipped into the water.

“Just leave your shirt and shoes right there,” she instructed him, nodding vaguely toward the place she had just been.

Dalton sighed awkwardly. “You think you could… turn around?”

Talia rolled her eyes again. “Seriously? I’ve already seen what you look like without… anything, really.”

“That doesn’t mean I’m okay with it,” Dalton said. Talia shook her head emphatically and turned around. After Dalton got rid of his shirt and shoes, he slipped into the water. It was a bit cold, which caused his body a nasty shock. He tried to stop his teeth from chattering, which didn’t work out well. Talia whirled around. To Dalton’s surprise, she had a smile on her face.

“Worried about what Loretta’s gonna say to you? Or Whitlea, maybe?” she taunted. Dalton shut his eyes tight.

“I don’t…” he murmured.

“So is Loretta the jealous type?” asked Talia.

“COULD YOU STOP IT ALREADY!?” Dalton exploded, before really even knowing why. Talia’s face grew serious.

“You must really miss her.”

“Of course not!” snapped Dalton. “I mean… I don’t know. We were never really… going out, technically. I thought I told you that. Besides… it wouldn’t have worked, anyway.”

He looked up distractedly at the moon.

“I don’t think she really understood me. We didn’t really even know each other that well. We weren’t really friends. We didn’t hang out at all. We went to school together. That’s it. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if it wasn’t all some… sick joke.”

“It sounds like you didn’t trust her very much,” Talia replied.

“I don’t trust anyone very much,” Dalton said.

“…That’s a sad thing to admit,” remarked Talia.

Dalton disagreed. People who trusted too easily hadn’t grown up enough yet, in his opinion.

“Is there anybody you do trust?” she asked.

“Nina,” answered Dalton. It hadn’t taken him very long. “And…”

“And?” Talia repeated, her tone sounding somewhat hopeful.

Dalton swallowed hard. “You, too.”

Talia smiled weakly. “You really mean that, Dalton?”

A bit jerkily, Dalton nodded. She floated toward him.

“Let me teach you how to swim, then.”

Dalton tilted his head.

“I already know how to swim.”

Talia shook her head. “You know how to tread water. It’s not the same thing.”

Sometime later, the two were headed back to the camp. Dalton was shivering.

“I don’t kn-know…” he stammered, “h-how the hell you conv-v-vinced me to g-g-get into that f-f-f-fu-fu-freaking water.”

Talia was trying very hard not to look cold, but her arms were clasped tightly around her body. “It’s a talent, I guess…”

“I’m gonna… gonna be p-pissed if I w-wake up w-with a c-cold tomorrow,” said Dalton.

They approached closer to the camp and saw a faint, orange glow. Smoke wafted from somewhere behind a tree.

“Is that fire?” asked Dalton. “How long have we been gone?”

“How should I know?” replied Talia. “An hour? Two, tops?”

Dalton frowned. “Hope all of our stuff’s still there… how screwed are we if all of our supplies got stolen?”

Talia’s jaw slackened for only a split-second; clearly, she hadn’t thought of that at all. Trying to regain her composure, she said, “Well… the human body can survive without food for… a few days, I think… but I don’t think it’d ever come to that.”

For Dalton had just given her a horrified look. Talia smirked and, to Dalton’s surprise, grabbed hold of his forearm.

“I sure hope not, anyway…” she said, her eyes glinting. “I think, if you lost any more weight, you’d simply cease to exist.”

“Yeah, real funny,” Dalton said, pulling his arm away.

“Really?” asked Talia, throwing her hands behind her head. “I thought so.”

Their camp came into view as they rounded a tree. Crackling and trembling, the light of a burning wood fire shot dancing golden sparks into the air.

Whoa,” uttered Dalton. “Who set this?”

“Probably Sionna,” said Talia, smiling. “That’s the great thing about having a Fire-type Pokémon. You never need matches.”

Dalton tilted his head. Maybe it was because he hadn’t seen it done, but it had never crossed his mind that Pokémon could be useful for things other than companionship and protection.

“What would… would a Pidove be useful for anything?” asked Dalton.

“Well… Pidove can’t make fires, obviously,” Talia answered. “I guess, maybe… if you wanted to look for something or someone from the air, you could use a Flying-type. But I’ve heard that Pidove aren’t the smartest Pokémon around… aww, look at that…”

They arrived in front of the fire. A long log from what was once a tree was fortunately placed close enough to be used as a bench. Not very far from it, two Pokémon were curled up closely to one another, both obviously asleep.

“They’re so cute together,” mewled Talia, “almost like long-lost sisters.”

Dalton didn’t say anything. It wasn’t very manly to call attention to that sort of thing. Still, though, the sight was oddly heartwarming – or maybe that was his shirt starting to warm from the fire nearby.

Dalton and Talia sat upon a log, staring into the crackling flames for a few seconds. A stiff breeze caused both to shiver and tried to snuff the fire out, but the flames held strong. Talia rubbed her shoulders.

“Still kinda cold…” she muttered. “Should we sit closer?”

Dalton looked at her.

“Uh… to the fire, I mean.”

“Yeah, sure… as long as I don’t get my face burned,” Dalton deadpanned.

So they sat down on the ground. More silence. Talia looked thoughtful as she peered into the fire. “Nacrene City has a… museum, I think.”

Dalton didn’t know what Talia’s point was. “O…kay.”

“It’s got a lot of artifacts that they say have to do with Pokémon,” she continued quietly. “You might be able to find some leads there.”

“…Leads?” repeated Dalton, still confused.

“How to go back home?” Talia asked, almost as if she was hesitant to broach the subject. “I mean… it’s a shot in the dark, but you might find something…”

Dalton’s shoulders slackened. “Azalea City seems so far away now. I mean… I guess I was there longer than I’d been anywhere else. About three or four years, actually. But… the longer I’m here, the longer it starts to feel like just another place I left behind.”

Talia’s lips pursed. “Is that good or bad?”

Dalton heaved a sigh. “I don’t know. And even if I wanted to go home right now… if I went back, there’d still be the Union, the Professor would still be dead… nothing will have changed. Nothing… except that now I know what it’s like to live in a world other than that one… and I’d just want to leave even more than I did before. What I mean, I guess, is… I have to at least try to stop Ghetsis before I even think about trying to find a way back home.”

“So you’re really going to go through with it, huh?” Talia asked. Dalton nodded. “What about becoming a Pokémon Trainer?”

Dalton’s gaze hardened. “All part of the plan.”

“Part of the plan?” repeated Talia, a bit too incredulously.

“If I become a strong Trainer…” Dalton said slowly, almost as if his intentions were taking shape in his head as he spoke them. “If I become a strong Trainer… I turn into everything that Ghetsis hates – everything he stands against. If I become the best Trainer here in Unova... then, if he still wants to make his utopia, he’ll have to go through me to do it.”

Talia swallowed hard. “You’re not worried about… you know, getting yourself killed? I don’t know much about these guys, but if Interpol’s involved, that’s not a good sign.”

“Why else am I here, then?” Dalton said. He wasn’t surprised at Talia’s change of expression; he could even hear the desperation and angst in his own voice. “I should have been dead. I was dead. So why was I spared? Spared to come through time, and not just anywhere – to here, now. Ghetsis created the dictatorship that took my family away from me, so I want to stop him. I want to stop him more than anything. But I don’t just want to stop him. I think… I think I’m meant to.”

Talia swallowed hard and blinked. Dalton’s jaw slackened. He hadn’t expected that reaction. “So… you want me to leave? Is that it?”

“No.”

Dalton studied the fire for a few moments.

“I want you to come with me.”

Talia looked stuck. “Really?”

“I mean… you don’t have to if you don’t want to…” Dalton answered. “That Assad guy from Interpol was right. It’s gonna be dangerous.”

“Well, it’s not like I have anything better to do,” Talia answered a bit sourly. “Besides… I… kind of like traveling with you. Even though you’re a prudish nerd with next to no social skills.”

“Gee, thanks,” deadpanned Dalton. “Glad to see you think so highly of me.”

Talia grinned.

The next morning came, and Dalton, to his great surprise, found himself up with the sun – with no regrets, to boot. The morning was brisk, and the grass dewy. Sionna and Nina had awoken first, the former bouncing around like she was on a sugar high, and the latter awakening much more slowly and not too thrilled about her companion’s overbearing energy. Camp was packed up even more quickly than Talia had set it out, especially with Dalton helping. The terrible cramping in his legs from the night before had been replaced by a dull full-body ache. Dalton wasn’t sure which was worse, but at least he could move around now.

It wasn’t long after that, that Dalton’s feet were throbbing in pain again. He had probably done more walking in the last week than he’d done in the last several years of his life. But he was determined not to stop, not to ask for a break. Even when Talia offered, Dalton turned her down.

About halfway across the series of bridges where they had taken their little swim the night before, Talia stopped, frowning. “You don’t need to push yourself too much, you know. We’re making really good time. We can be in Nacrene with daylight to spare at this rate.”

Dalton sighed, rubbing his legs. “Let’s keep going,” he said stubbornly. “If I keep moving, I don’t have to think about how my legs are feeling.”

“Can we stop here?” asked Talia. “Just for a second?”

Dalton let out a half a groan. He hadn’t been lying; the longer they stood still, the more he felt his calves burning. “Sure… if you say so.”

The morning was still crisp and a bit breezy, but the sun was just high enough to start cutting through the mild chill. Creatures were breaking the surface of the blue water every so often, flailing and floating before disappearing with quiet splashes. Dalton could see reflections of the few puffy, cotton-ball clouds that were drifting lazily overhead. A single cry of something aloft directed his attention upward. Dalton shaded his eyes against the sun. Whatever it was obviously had wings, and seemed to be circling… them. Just when it banked far away and Dalton thought it was gone for good, it came back, banking in a wide arc over the water as it descended lower, and lower, and lower…

“Is that Pidove coming toward us?” asked Talia, who had noticed it as well.

Sure enough, the gray, beaked bird landed on the ground several feet away, looking straight at Talia and Dalton. It let a loud coo to the sky, flapping its wings aggressively.

“Hold on… I think I might remember this Pidove,” Dalton commented. Talia turned around.

“They all look the same. How are you supposed to be able to tell?” she asked.

Dalton grimaced, pulling out a Pokéball. “I guess there’s one way to find out.”

He tossed the sphere into the air, where it hit the ground and split open. Nina had obviously taken the opportunity to take a nap in her ball, because she rubbed her eyes blearily upon appearing and didn’t seem completely awake.

“<What’s going…>” she murmured. Her eyes focused on the Pidove and widened. “<You!>”

The Pidove flapped its wings again, lifting off from the ground just a hair – and then came beak-first at them.

“Whoa!” Talia exclaimed, leaping backward.

“Heads up!!” Dalton shouted. Nina was able to leap out of the way as Pidove, now little more than a gray-and-white streak to the naked eye, came zooming through the air. Nina whirled around just in time to see Pidove several feet above ground, flapping its wings repeatedly. Dalton and Talia staggered under the force of a sudden wind, but the much smaller Nina slid backward, not helped by the wet wood of the bridge underneath her.

“<Come on!!>” she snarled, aiming her short horn up at the approaching Pidove. A small, glowing arrow of white burst forth from it. Pidove tried to bank out of the way, but the projectile was too fast. It caught Pidove on one wing, sending the bird Pokémon into a tailspin. Pidove righted itself and accelerated, becoming a fast moving streak of white once again.

Dalton knew he was in trouble. Pidove had left Nina no time to dodge. “Oh, sh-”

Pidove slammed into Nina full force, bowling her over. The Nidoran staggered to her feet as her winged opponent took to the air again.

“Double Kick, Nina!” shouted Dalton.

“<Not from here!>” Nina yelled back simply. Dalton snarled in frustration. He glimpsed a white trail beginning to follow Pidove again.

“Careful, it’s coming back!” Talia warned.

“Nina!” Dalton yelled. The Nidoran whipped her head around toward him. “Aim for the wing – Scratch, on my signal!”

Pidove banked widely and began to descend yet again. Nina held her ground as Pidove streaked downward like a feathery missile…

“NOW!” yelled Dalton. Nina leapt, but the force of Pidove’s blow turned her head over heels. Pidove, however, went into an abrupt spiral, crashing hard into the bridge on its back.

Talia smirked. “Guess that’s one way to flip a bird.”

Nina whirled around, hyperventilating with fatigue and looking very, very pale.

“<Get up again, I dare you!>” she snarled, seemingly overcome with battle rage. “<Get up!!>”

Then, she staggered backward, growing paler and paler by the second. Her body was pulsating with white light…

A sphere came out of nowhere, striking Pidove over the head. Nina stopped glowing instantly, shaking her head in shock. The sphere opened. Pidove’s head looked up briefly as the Pokémon turned into shapeless, red light, which the ball promptly swallowed. The sphere tapped against the bridge and began to twitch nervously. For a moment it looked like it was ready to roll away… then it simply stopped moving.

Dalton took a step back, staring at the dormant ball in surprise. Talia, meanwhile, was looking from the ball to a blank-faced Nina. She had seen the whole thing just now… and couldn’t believe anyone’s timing could be that awful. “Do you know what just happened?”

Dalton went to pick the ball up. He pored over it for a moment and then looked at Talia. “I just caught a Pokémon for the first time, right?”

Talia opened her mouth for a second or two. Then she smiled. “Yeah… that, too, I guess…”

Meanwhile, Dalton had gone into his pocket. He’d had to use much trial and error to find out exactly what his new Pokédex could and couldn’t do. He knew that the scanner on this PokéDex was a powerful feature, so he thought this might be worth a shot. He brought it out and pointed it at the Pokéball in its hand.

“This Pokéball contains a Pokémon,” Amanita’s voice replied. “Species: Pidove. Gender: Female.”

“Oh, it’s a girl!” Talia exclaimed with the air of one announcing a new baby. “What are you going to name her?”

Dalton grimaced; he actually hadn’t thought that far ahead. “Umm… lessee....”

He looked up and around him.

“Lake.”

Talia’s eyes darted from her right to her left. “Lake? Well, if you say so…”

And she skipped ahead, which Dalton took to mean that she was ready to start traveling again. Dalton brought up the rear, trudging to where Nina stood stiffly. He smiled down at her.

“Thanks for your help,” he said. “Want a ri-OUCH!”

For Nina had just swiped her claws toward his proffered hand, leaving a painful cut. She turned her head away from Dalton pointedly, growling and trembling. Dalton frowned.

“C’mon, Dalton!” Talia yelled from a ways away. She had nearly crossed the last bridge onto dry land again, and she was waving at him furiously. “I thought you said you were in a hurry!”

“Gimme a second!” Dalton shouted back, then looked down at her. “Listen… I don’t know how strong Ghetsis is, but I do know this… if it’s gonna help beat him, I’ll take as much help as I can get. Maybe we’ll have time to be proud when this is all over. Besides…”

He seized her around the middle and lifted her into his arms. Unsuspecting and surprised, she kicked out with her short stubby legs rather feebly. Dalton had to fight down a laugh. He turned her around so she would face him. A sort of plaintive look was in her red eyes, and her face had the shadow of a blush on it, as if she was torn between embarrassment and enjoyment at her own vulnerable position.

“You’re the first Pokémon I ever met,” Dalton said. “The very first. If I caught a thousand Pokémon, that wouldn’t change. Don’t worry, I’m not planning on catching that many…”

For Nina’s eyes had nearly popped out of her head for a moment. Then she looked away.

“<Um...>” she uttered, eyes elsewhere as if ashamed. “<Can I…>”

“Hmm?” uttered Dalton.

“<Can I stay outside?>” she asked. It was with a heavy pang of the heart that Dalton realized how familiar her tone was. “<On your shoulder?>”

Dalton had to swallow a lump in his throat before he answered. He wasn’t sure why.

“Yeah,” he finally said, a bit unsteadily. “Sure.”

So she scampered up his arm and settled on his right shoulder. He felt her press her nose against his cheek for a second.

“<I hope you know… I still don’t like her.>”

“Maybe you will. Once you get to know her.”

“<I doubt it.>”

“Well, can you two at least not kill each other? For me?”

“<I think I can do that… I think. No promises, though.>”

“Haha…”

“<You’re such a big softie,>” she said quietly.

Dalton snickered. “Look who’s talking.”

“<Shut up.>”

And with that, they continued on.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
So, the question of numbers was asked, friendships were deepened and rivalries born as well. I will say this for Lake, though, her species may not be bright, but she certainly has "stones" (speaking of which, another female? Dalton's gonna get into so much trouble. Where's Evan when you need him?)

Maybe someone can catch a male soon? Preferably with some feminine sensitivity. Or maybe Talia will let Dalton know just what he interrupted. Well, it won't be long now, given their pace.

That, and skinny dipping aside, the dialogue at the end of the chapter was great and you can pretty much see Nina's awkward cuteness as you read it. Nicely done...

OK, now I'm feeling guilty about sitting on my thumbs so long. This chapter is getting done, and soon.

L@er!

Well I missed this one too. I'm gonna have to figure out the subscribe thingy majiggy. Anyway, I am still getting used to your significantly shorter chapters but its great that your able to do it without cutting out any of the things that make me enjoy your writing.I personally have no problem with lengthy chapters but I understand the want to shorten them. ( I actually think its better to kind of switch short to long throughout the story but that wouldn't have the same effect in a fanfic).

Anyway, I liked the capture. It will be interesting to see how his team unfolds. Including rather or not he gets a Nidoqueen. (One of my favorite Pokemon.) He finally asked Fox (That's her name to me) to join him, so the question of will they stick together is probably answered. Either way I look forward to seeing the story progress.

My favorite type of pudding is Tapioca.

Last edited:

EonMaster One

saeculum harmonia
Review Responses.

Well, look at that... it's been over two weeks already. I always seem to lose track of when I post chapters. -_____-

Air Dragon:

So, the question of numbers was asked, friendships were deepened and rivalries born as well. I will say this for Lake, though, her species may not be bright, but she certainly has "stones" (speaking of which, another female? Dalton's gonna get into so much trouble. Where's Evan when you need him?)

It's not that Lake is dumb. It's just that... well, you'll see. :p

Maybe someone can catch a male soon? Preferably with some feminine sensitivity. Or maybe Talia will let Dalton know just what he interrupted. Well, it won't be long now, given their pace.

A male with some feminine sensitivity? Good... ****ing... luck.

That, and skinny dipping aside, the dialogue at the end of the chapter was great and you can pretty much see Nina's awkward cuteness as you read it. Nicely done...

Enjoy that while it lasts... I'll leave it at that. :)

Random Comment Guy:

Well I missed this one too. I'm gonna have to figure out the subscribe thingy majiggy. Anyway, I am still getting used to your significantly shorter chapters but its great that your able to do it without cutting out any of the things that make me enjoy your writing.I personally have no problem with lengthy chapters but I understand the want to shorten them. ( I actually think its better to kind of switch short to long throughout the story but that wouldn't have the same effect in a fanfic).

I try to keep it in the middle. Most readers aren't so hardcore and long chapters scare them off, especially when they're several chapters behind as is. But if they're too short, it's hard to get all the story out.

Anyway, I liked the capture. It will be interesting to see how his team unfolds. Including rather or not he gets a Nidoqueen. (One of my favorite Pokemon.) He finally asked Fox (That's her name to me) to join him, so the question of will they stick together is probably answered. Either way I look forward to seeing the story progress.

Well... not spoiling anything... :)

My favorite type of pudding is Tapioca.

Uh... ... ... ... ... ... ...okay. ^_^

Last edited:

EonMaster One

saeculum harmonia
Chapter 13

~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~
13. Skull Session
~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~

Simply put, there were few words that did justice to how good hot, running water felt against sore muscles – and it was even better when one was bathing properly for the first time in two days. Dalton knew that the water was borderline too hot – he didn’t care. He wasn’t being scalded, and his sore back seemed to like it. Besides, the concept of moderation seemed to have been lost on whoever controlled the plumbing. If it wasn’t this hot, the shower was bone-chillingly cold – and cold water on one’s lower extremities is not a good feeling at all.

Eventually, like many of Dalton’s showers, he had reached the stage where he had stopped washing and started trying to solve existential dilemmas in his brain. In other words, it was time to turn the water off and step out. He’d probably have someone banging on the door soon anyway…

Why did the towel have to be clear on the other side of the bathroom? That seemed really counterproductive…

The door swung open. Dalton’s heart stopped and dove somewhere into his belly.

A blonde had opened it and frozen dead in her tracks. Dalton staggered backward, his hands going straight to his crotch. Why in the hell did this keep happening to him?

The blonde gave a squeak. She wasn’t petite, but Dalton absolutely dwarfed her at his height. Not only was she pretty, but she was wrapped from shoulders to shins in a towel that could have only been covering two things – either a quite skimpy undergarment set with no straps… or (what was more likely) absolutely nothing.

“Wh-wha-who-whuh?” Dalton stammered dimly.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” the girl asked demurely, sounding genuinely confused. It was then that Dalton picked up the voice.

“Wh-Loretta? How the hell…?”

Loretta Burgess – or, at least, this girl that looked very much like her (although Dalton had never seen Loretta quite like this before) – rolled her eyes. She wasn’t wearing glasses, which for some strange reason Dalton found disappointing. Then again, she wasn’t wearing much other than the towel. “Uh… I live here. And you do, too.”

Dalton eyed her suspiciously. “This is a dream.”

“And what if it is?” asked Loretta, her voice growing more sultry by the second. “What… do you wanna wake up?”

“Er…” Dalton uttered noncommittally. She stepped toward him. He took a quarter-step back. He had nowhere to go except back into the shower – and part of him was really contemplating it, just to see what would happen.

“Do you want to see?” Loretta asked, relaxing her grip on the towel just enough for Dalton to notice. “Is that it?”

“See what?” Dalton asked. Loretta smirked knowingly.

“Never mind that for now. You never gave me that kiss, you know.”

Dalton frowned. “I was kind of busy…”

“You’re not busy now, are you?” asked Loretta. “So let’s try again.”

Dalton swallowed hard. “This is a dream.”

“Then, don’t wake up this time,” Loretta whispered, drawing closer. “Stay a while.”

And before Dalton knew it, her lips were on his. Complicated though their relationship was, Dalton wasn’t about to stop her – not that he could even if he wanted to. It was as if his body was on autopilot. Even his hands seemed to be moving of their own free will, finding their way to and through his one-time almost-lover’s flaming orange hair…

…Flaming orange hair?

He’d opened his eyes for just a split second and seen it. He drew back and was looking into another pair of blue eyes…

Talia Renard.

Red-haired, blue-eyed, covered (as far as he knew) in naught much else but a towel.

“What’s the problem?” she asked, biting her lip and wearing a fox-like grin. “You were enjoying yourself, weren’t you? You know, deep down… this is what you want.”

She took a step toward him again, angled her head, closed her eyes…

He could have yelled, said something. But he didn’t…

Was she right? Did he really want this? Want her?

No more or less than any other guy would, a voice in his muddled brain said to him. I mean… just look at her.

She didn’t kiss him with her lips first. Her forehead and nose touched his.

Yes, she’s pretty. But Loretta was pretty, too. A lot of them are. But this is… different, somehow…

She put her hands up around his neck. Dalton tried to look her in the eyes, but that towel was slipping just a bit with every move she made. As she caressed his face with her thumbs, though, she didn’t seem all concerned that she was one twist or turn of the body away from being (literally) laid bare. Her hands arrived gently at his shoulders and shook… and shook… and shook…

“Dalton?”

…and shook…

“Dalton??”

…and shook….

“DALTON!”

His world went black. He had sense of his eyes again; they were closed. He opened them gingerly, blearily. Again, the face of Talia Renard was floating over Dalton’s field of vision.

“Tali….” murmured Dalton, dropping the last syllable in his fatigue. He felt the soreness from general fatigue. On top of that, his whole body was stiff…

Some places much more (and much more embarrassingly so) than others.

“Why’d you have to get me up so early?” Dalton grumbled, turning toward the wall. He winced immediately as soon as his face was out of sight. Of all possible ways to have framed that question, that one had been the worst.

“Early?” repeated Talia in disbelief. “It’s eight-thirty.”

Dalton was calculating. Finally, he jumped to his feet and blew by her without a further word.

Talia stared at the bathroom door bewilderedly for a moment. She slowly curled into a ball and curled into the empty bunk bed.

“<Enjoying yourself?>” the voice of a Pokémon asked a few seconds later.

“My bed’s too far away,” murmured Talia blearily. Moments later, Sionna jumped onto the table.

“<Right… sure,>” she said, laying down upon it. “<So… are you going to do that thing with him?>”

“What thing?” uttered Talia quickly, her head raising up off the bed.

“<That thing,>” Sionna repeated innocently. “<That thing you humans do with your mouths when you really like someone.>”

“You mean, kiss him?” Talia uttered, her face turning red. “What gives you that idea?”

“<You want to, don’t you?>” Sionna asked, tilting her head.

Talia rolled over onto her back. “It’s not like that.”

“<Oh… so you want to do that… other thing,>” Sionna said knowingly.

“You know… I can bring Fluff out right now,” Talia said calmly.

“<No, no… that’s okay,>” squeaked Sionna, looking very uncomfortable.

Moments later, Dalton reappeared.

“Why do you take speed showers?” asked Talia, sitting up quickly. “It’s not like we have anything in particular to do.”

Dalton frowned. “Well, you could’ve told me that… and I would’ve gone right back to sleep.”

Talia laid down on Dalton’s bunk bed. “You mad at me?”

“Mildly irritated,” Dalton said flatly, sitting on one of the chairs. He sighed heavily. “Well, I guess we can take an early shot at the Gym, right?”

“Gym’s closed,” Talia responded immediately.

“What?”

Talia grimaced. “Yeah, there was some sort of… robbery or something like that.”

“Robbery?” repeated Dalton, his jaw agape in disbelief. “What the hell would somebody rob from a Pokémon Gym?”

“Well, it’s a Gym, but it’s also a museum and a library… it’s complicated,” sighed Talia. “In any case, the Gym’s not accepting any new challengers until they take care of that whole situation.”

Dalton tilted his head suspiciously. “So why did you wake me up?”

“I want you to meet someone,” Talia replied. She pulled out a Pokéball, which she opened without her throwing it. Light shot into the air and Dalton wondered for a moment whether this was the best place to be doing this. Fortunately, the Pokémon that appeared was quite small. The sound of flapping wings immediately filled the room, but the Pokémon didn’t looked to be shaped even remotely like Lake, the Pidove Dalton had caught the day before. This thing looked rather like a cotton ball with bat wings, if that made any sense. If it had eyes, they were hidden under huge, gray tufts of fur. Prominent on its face was an enormous, pink nose, shaped (unless Dalton was seeing things) like a heart.

“<Oh ->” squeaked Sionna, leaping off the table and diving under the bunk bed. A second later, a short groan came from underneath the bed. Nina staggered sleepily into view.

“<What’s all the noise…?>” she murmured.

This new Pokémon was chittering as it settled atop Talia’s head, still flapping its wings and making quite a mess of the girl’s red hair. She giggled and gently removed the creature in response, holding it in her arms. “This is Fluff.”

The Pokémon greeted Dalton with a chitter and a wide grin featuring a single, lonely tooth.

“Hmm…” murmured Dalton, rummaging around in the pocket of his cargo shorts.

Woobat, the Bat Pokémon. It emits ultrasonic waves from its nose to learn about its surroundings,” Amanita’s voice said a moment later. “It lives primarily in caves or dark forests, but it’s not unheard of for one to appear in the open by night.

“That’s pretty much what happened,” Talia explained. “I went out for an early walk this morning, caught him napping in a tree. He woke up and put up a fight initially, but not much of one. I think he sort of wanted to come with us.”

“<Can you put him away?>” a voice mewled. Sionna’s head peeked out from under the bed a moment later. “<He’s creepy.>”

Fluff turned on the spot, his toothless grin growing wider. “<My sweet!>” he exclaimed, fluttering down to Sionna, who promptly disappeared under the bed again. Grimacing, Talia held the Pokéball out toward him. “<Alas, we must part again! But I promise you, my dear lady, my only thoughts will be – >”

He’d spoken very quickly, but had not managed to finish the sentence before the Pokéball sucked him in and shut with a snap.

“I think he’s a little bit… taken with Sionna,” Talia said. Meanwhile, Dalton felt pressure building in his nostrils and face. A bit of a snort escaped him.

Then both teens burst into peals of laughter. Meanwhile, Nina looked from one human to another, shook her head, and slunk back under the bed. Talia gasped loudly, doubling over one of the chairs; she’d laughed herself short of breath. She opened her blue eyes and set them right on Dalton. And that was when a voice said in Dalton’s head:

Don’t go there.

He looked away. It must have been a noticeable motion, because Talia immediately asked, “What’s wrong?”

Dalton couldn’t really tell her – not because he didn’t want to, but because he simply didn’t know.

He was jolted back to his senses by a muffled yell. Voices were coming closer.

“We need some sort of plan, Blake!” a girl’s voice shouted – still muffled, as if the sounds were coming from outside the walls. Talia looked at Dalton again, an expression of recognition seizing her face.

“ – that!” another familiar voice – this one of a boy – exploded, milking the profanity he had used to start the short statement for all its worth. “We don’t have time! We shouldn’t have even come back here! Those guys could be halfway to effing Castelia by now!” he added – only he didn’t say ‘effing.’

“Don’t curse me out!” the girl yelled, sounding hurt and angry at the same time. “This isn’t my fault, Blake. Besides, Burgh said he’d go on ahead…”

“I don’t trust Burgh. Do you trust Burgh?” asked Blake. “I look at Burgh, I see a pretty boy that wouldn’t have the balls to get his hands dirty.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” the girl asked.

“Never mind…” Blake grumbled after a brief pause.

“Are you really gonna chase after them while Sturm’s still in recovery?” asked Whitlea.

“You think Sturm’s my strongest Pokémon? I caught him, like, two days ago,” said Blake, a bit of sarcastic bite in his voice. “Look, I’m taking Macy and Jude and I’m going.”

“You don’t wanna do that,” advised another voice that Dalton recognized.

“What the—” muttered Talia, but Dalton, wanting to hear the whole conversation, put his finger to his lips emphatically and started moving toward the door. “Dalton, no. You remember what happened last time you guys…”

“Who the hell are you?” asked Blake brusquely.

“Somebody you might want to show a little bit more respect,” said the other familiar voice.

“Interpol?” snapped Blake. “This is a Unova problem. Why’s Johto sending their guys all the way out here?”

“Exactly the type of thing a kid would say. Typical,” muttered the other familiar voice.

“What did you just say to me?!” Blake shouted. “Get – off, Whit!”

“Dalton?” murmured Talia. Dalton sighed, kneading the bridge of his nose.

“I’m gonna regret this…”

“If you’d actually bothered to read the badge, kid,” the man snarked, “you’d see that I’m originally from the Sinnoh Interpol branch – well, I’ll be damned. This is just turning into one great big party, isn’t it?”

Blake and Whitlea (the latter with her brown hair floating in gravity-taunting fashion) whirled around on a dime, for Dalton had just emerged from his room into the hallway, and Talia had (somewhat reluctantly) followed. Blake was going white, his lip trembling unsteadily. Dalton tried to avoid looking directly at him. First off, he was rather preoccupied with the appearance of Phineas Assad a few paces up the hallway (looking even scruffier than at their initial meeting, if that was at all possible). Second, for being just fourteen (Dalton guessed), something was seriously off-putting about that kid. There was something just… not quite right, and it had nothing at all to do with the fact that Dalton had hit his twin sister in the face the last time all three of them were together…

“Fancy meeting you here,” Phineas chuckled. “Haven’t given up yet, have we?”

“It’s been three days,” Dalton said flatly.

“What the hell are you doing in Nacrene City?” snapped Blake. Dalton was actually expecting Blake’s first sentence toward him to be a bit more… explosive.

“I’m here for a Gym Badge, obviously,” Dalton answered, trying his best not to roll his eyes at the younger boy.

“You? Gym Badge?” Blake asked, punctuating his comment with the driest, most mirthless laugh Dalton thought he’d ever heard. “At least someone’s got a sense of humor, ‘cause this has been one hell of a day already.”

“You’re an arrogant little s—t, you know that?” snarled Dalton, finally losing his temper as he came nose to nose with Blake, who regarded him with a steely gaze that showed no sign of intimidation. Dalton was tall, but Blake, for being several years younger, wasn’t all that short himself. Not to mention, he looked overall much better fed than Dalton did. (Then again, so did most people.) “We can fight right now if you’re so sure you’re better than me.”

Blake raised his eyebrows, his gaze turning into one of smug indifference. “You still haven’t learned your lesson. Pokémon aren’t weapons of war.”

“Who said anything about using Pokémon?” growled Dalton, clenching his fists. Blake’s eyes flashed.

“Is that a threat?”

“Alright, ladies, break it up,” drawled Phineas, physically interposing himself between the two boys and shoving them away from each other. His eyes darting from one to the other, he said in barely above a whisper, “We’ve got more pressing things to attend to.”

“ ‘We?’ chuckled Blake, physically guiding Whitlea away. “I only work with Cheren, Bianca, and my sister. Those are the only people I trust. And by the way…”

He was almost to the door that led to the stairwell. “Hmm?” Phineas uttered.

“Look at my sister that way again, and I’ll saw your balls off and shove ‘em down your throat. I don’t care if you’re an agent,” Blake said ominously, nevertheless putting an arm around his sister’s shoulder in a mind-bendingly affectionate manner. The reluctance in Whitlea’s eyes was obvious as she disappeared into the stairwell, casting one final look at Dalton before falling out of sight.

Phineas said nothing to this threat, although it did cause him to raise his eyebrows. “Charming kid. A little bit overprotective, though…”

“Overprotective?” repeated Dalton without even meaning to. “She’s fifteen.

Phineas didn’t even turn his head, but his eyes darted over to Dalton. “Bull.” (And if you think there’s something missing from that word, rest assured, there is.)

Dalton shook his head. “Fifteen, if that. Probably fourteen.”

“Ah. That’s awkward. Well, for what it’s worth…” said Phineas sourly, still looking ahead. “Fourteen-year-old girls don’t look like that where I’m from.”

“Where are you from?” asked Dalton.

“Sinnoh,” Phineas answered. “You didn’t hear me just say that?”

“It’s cold as –” and then Dalton used the best swear you could think of, “— in Sinnoh.”

“Who are you telling?”

“I hate to break up your witty repartee,” Talia piped in, sounding like she was just on the edge of losing her patience, “but there is a third person here.”

“Oh, yeah. You. You didn’t get rid of her?” Phineas turned immediately to Dalton and asked.

“I’m here because he asked me,” Talia interrupted, rolling her eyes.

“You asked her…” Phineas muttered to Dalton, tilting his head knowingly.

“I don’t know anything about this region,” Dalton answered. “I need a guide.”

Phineas’s eyes flattened out. “A guide. A guide. God, you’re hopeless.”

Dalton sighed, although he could feel his eye twitching and wondered if it was visible to anyone else.

“Do you have some sort of business with us?” Talia asked.

Phineas cracked a mirthless smirk. “Funny thing about that… you’re just the people I needed to see.”

Fifteen minutes later (and to Dalton and Talia’s pleasant surprise) the three of them were at a café on Nacrene City’s main street. A dark-haired girl with her nose pierced was sitting on a nearby bench, playing a guitar and singing a song Dalton didn’t know. She didn’t seem to be drawing a lot of attention, although passersby would drop cash in her guitar case every so often. This being the sort of town that it was, Dalton supposed that busking was a normal occurrence.

Phineas looked over his shoulder at the girl, who locked eyes with him for a moment. Then Phineas went back to his coffee for a moment before looking at Dalton, smirking.

“Don’t pretend you don’t think she’s cute,” he chuckled. “I’ve seen you look over there at least twice.”

“Not a chance,” laughed Talia – rather quickly and sharply, Dalton thought. Elbowing the youth, Talia quipped, “She’s too old for him. I guess she’s, what, sixteen?”

“Shut up…” sighed Dalton. “If you have to know… I’m not used to live music. There wasn’t a lot of it where I lived.”

“…Oh,” Talia uttered, sounding a bit sad, which hadn’t been Dalton’s point at all.

“Anyway…” Dalton tried to change the subject. “What’s up with this location? If you’ve gotta tell us something, shouldn’t you have picked a place that was a little bit more… private?”

“Haven’t you seen any good spy movies?” chuckled Phineas. “It’s counterintuitive, but if you’re having a secret conversation, safest place to do it is in as crowded an area as you can. If you’re not yelling, it’s almost impossible for someone to overhear you on accident.”

“So what’s this big piece of ‘secret’ information you need to tell us?” Dalton asked, rolling his eyes.

“It’s pretty simple, actually,” Phineas said, raising his eyebrows. “I want – well, actually, no, I don’t… I need to come with you when you go to Castelia. Or, it’s probably more accurate to say that I need you to come with me.”

Dalton tilted his head distrustfully. “And why would you need me to do that?”

“My boss wants to meet with you,” said Phineas. CLATTER. Talia dropped her fork and looked up at the two young men, her mouth slightly agape.

“The Chief of Interpol wants to meet with… Dalton?”

“Ha!” Phineas threw back his head and laughed. “You must think really highly of yourself. The Chief of freaking Interpol. That’s funny. No, I’m talking about Sinnoh’s Inspector – top guy in our Detectives division.”

Dalton grimaced. “Does this guy have a name?”

Phineas raised his eyebrows. “We all call him Looker. Whether that’s his real name or not, nobody knows… and nobody’s stupid enough to ask.”

“So is Phineas Assad your real name?” Talia asked. Phineas seemed to bristle at this question.

“It’s the only name I know,” he answered.

Dalton sat silently for a moment, wondering if it would have done him any more good to have registered for the Unova League under an alias. Then, he thought about it. If Phineas was an assumed name, he probably changed it to protect loved ones of his from any consequences of what happened in the field.

Dalton, on the other hand, didn’t have any loved ones to protect… and if he had, none of them would be in this century.

“Hang on a second…” Dalton uttered. “I thought you said a couple of days ago that you couldn’t bring us in for questioning.”

“You’ve got an annoyingly good memory,” Phineas commented in reply. “We can’t detain you with the purpose of interrogation, no, but if you’re not brought to us by force, it’s not officially an interrogation.”

“You guys sure like your loopholes,” Dalton said suspiciously, looking askance at Phineas.

“We’ve got to, or else nothing would get done,” deadpanned Phineas in annoyance.

“So you can’t force me to come, huh…?” asked Dalton eyeing Phineas for a moment. “Let’s just say, for the sake of argument… I said ‘no.’”

Phineas’s jaw twitched. “‘No’?”

“Someone in your position isn’t used to hearing that word, right?” Dalton replied. “But I had – I have – other plans. Plans that don’t involve you or your ‘unofficial’ investigation.”

“Those plans wouldn’t happen to involve Pokémon Gyms, would they?” asked Phineas casually. He affected a frown. “Funny… I thought you cared about stopping Team Plasma more than you cared about a few badges—”

CLANG. Dalton had smashed his fist into the table, starting Talia. On the other hand, other than reaching up to steady his toppling mug of coffee, Phineas showed no sign of emotion at all. (In the background, the busker had stopped playing and was now looking at the tense standoff.)

“You don’t understand what I’m trying to do,” Dalton said, half-risen from his seat and looking down at Phineas. “That’s fine with me. I don’t care if you understand or not. But don’t – ever – say I don’t care about stopping Team Plasma.”

“Let me ask you something,” Phineas answered in a maddeningly calm voice. “I watched you battle Colress. And, frankly, he went so far up your *** that I’m surprised you’re even able to sit down. Do you seriously think you’ve got the strength necessary to bring down Ghetsis and Team Plasma all on your own?”

Dalton’s lip curled, but he eased back into his chair. “…I’ll take my chances.”

Phineas chuckled to himself. “You’re one of those ‘lone vigilante hero’ types, huh? Not one for organized authority?”

“Not one for bureaucracy,” Dalton corrected him. “By the time you and your people get through enough red tape to actually do something, it’ll already be too late. Trust me. I’ve seen how this plays out.”

Phineas closed his eyes. “But we – that is, Looker and I… we’re not part of the bureaucracy. We’re more like you. We want to get things done. And we’ve gotten things done. That’s why, even though we’re Interpol’s ‘problem children’… we’re still around.”

“Who’s to say your way’s better?” Talia piped in. Again, Phineas looked at her as if he’d forgotten she was there. “Yes, I know you didn’t ask for my opinion, but I’m giving it anyway.”

“Listen, you don’t have any stock in this,” Phineas responded. “Actually? You’re probably better off just staying out of it –”

“You’re a pig.”

“Talia –” Dalton uttered, caught off guard.

“No – he’s a pig,” repeated Talia. Then, rounding on Phineas, she fixed a steely glare on him. “You’re not saying it because you don’t have the guts, but I know what you’re thinking. Women pop out babies and that’s their only contribution to the world, right? You’re just like my mother.”

“For your information, I don’t think like that,” Phineas answered flatly. “But it’s funny you should bring up your mother. Virginia Ellsburen?”

Talia’s eyes narrowed to dangerous slits, as if Phineas had pronounced some terrible curse upon her.

“She’s filed a report on you. Missing persons,” Phineas sighed. “Unova police are under orders to return you home if they find you.”

Talia made a horrible face of disgust at this revelation – the kind of face someone would make after having someone projectile vomit right onto their shirt. Dalton was thoroughly disturbed; not even she could make that expression look attractive.

“What am I, a lost pet?” she said disdainfully. “She can go to hell as far as I’m concerned – and you’re not taking me anywhere.”

“Did I say I wanted to? Even if I did, I’m an Interpol detective, not Unova police. It’s outta my jurisdiction.” Phineas shrugged his shoulders. “But you’re still not an adult yet in the eyes of Unova law. If I take you under my care and something happens to you, that’s my *** – and probably Looker’s, too. So, frankly, I’d rather you just went away. You can obviously take care of yourself a little bit, so as long as you stay away from any cops, you’ll be fine.”

“And I’ll bet Virginia conveniently forgot to mention my birthday, didn’t she?” Talia asked. The expression on Phineas’s face answered the question. “Of course she did. I turn seventeen in a week and a half – so what do you have to say to that?”

“Well, once you turn seventeen, you’re not my problem anymore,” Phineas said, raising his eyebrows smugly. “But you know Murphy’s Law – if I agree to this, you’ll probably find a way to get yourself killed within a week.”

“Great,” Talia deadpanned, leaning back in her seat. “Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

“Don’t get your blood pressure up,” Dalton sighed wearily. “I’ll make sure nothing happens to her.”

Both Phineas and Talia gave Dalton the same incredulous look for a moment. Talia looked down at her knees and went silent, but –

“You?” Phineas showed some of his teeth in an amused smile.

“I’m the one that asked her to come along,” Dalton replied simply. Phineas’s smile, still there, began to tremble a bit.

“You’re trying my patience, Dalton Gregg. You seem to be under the impression that this is a negotiation,” he said, the tone of his voice changing as he spoke through his teeth.

“That’s exactly what it is, isn’t it? You’re not using force – like you said, you can’t,” Dalton answered. “Which gives you two choices. We can do a really good job watching each other’s backs until we have this meeting with Looker, or… you can go back to your boss empty-handed and tell him you couldn’t get the job done because you were too damn stubborn.”

Phineas sighed through his nose. “Tell me one thing, then… Pokémon Training – at least at the level you’re doing it – is a kid’s game. Why does a guy your age just up and decide to jump in?”

Dalton pondered this question as he looked down at his hands. “Mostly… just making up for lost time.”

~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~
Meanwhile, at the Nacrene City Pokémon Center…
~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~​

Small rocks in this manmade river caused its waters to prattle serenely. It wasn’t real nature, confined inside this manmade fence and directly behind this rather large, manmade building, but Nina supposed it was close enough. At any rate, it was just the sort of place she needed at the moment. Her face contorted as a fierce sort of anger rushed through her, unbidden. She fought down the urge to lash out and attack whatever was nearest for at least the tenth time that day, shutting her eyes tight and listening to the babble of the brook until it was all over.

She tried to ignore the loud cooing up above. A Pidove was circling overhead, spiraling downward effortlessly.

On a tree, a winged ball of fur appeared to have its face buried in a trunk. She supposed he was taking a nap, which wasn’t a bad thing. He was much, much less bothersome that way.

“<What’s wrong?>” a perky voice asked. Nina opened one of her eyes. Staring at her was another Pokémon, its brownish-orange head tilted in confusion.

“<I feel…>” Nina murmured blearily. It was hard to put into words. “<Weird.>”

“<That’s… helpful,>” Sionna the Vulpix said. Nina could tell she was being sarcastic – mainly because sarcasm wasn’t something Sionna usually did. “<What kind of ‘weird’?>”

“<I don’t know,>” answered Nina in exasperation. “<I feel… bloated. Like something’s going to explode from inside me, but it won’t come out.>”

Sionna angled her head in mild bewilderment. “<You sure you didn’t just get a hold of some bad food?>”

“<Very funny,>” Nina deadpanned. She let loose a loud growl of frustration and groaned, “<When’s he coming back?! I need to hit something…>”

“<I don’t volunteer,>” Sionna answered very quickly, taking a VERY long leap backward.

“<You could always fight me if you like,>” someone cawed from overhead. The Pidove was still lazily circling.

“<I’ll pass,>” Nina said. “<I promised not to kill you. Why don’t you go bother Fluff or something?>”

“<No!>” moaned Sionna in protest.

“<What’s so bad about Fluffy?>” Lake asked in a high, ringing coo. “<He seems okay to me…>”

“<That’s because you haven’t seen him awake yet,>” Sionna answered, her six tails bristling uncomfortably. “<He’s a total creeper.>”

“<Creeper?>” Lake repeated, fluttering to a halt atop a limb on the tree to which the freshly caught Woobat was hanging, upside-down and (apparently) by his face. She fluttered her graying wings and sang airily, “<Yoo-hoo….>”

“<Please don’t,>” muttered Sionna, wincing. All of a sudden, Nina growled. Sionna jumped and turned to look at her and Nina was staring back, standing and as tense as a rope pulled so taut it might rip in two. She seemed to be struggling against something.

“<What’s wrong with her?>” asked Lake a bit tactlessly.

Nina, meanwhile, had her eyes shut tight and had started shaking horribly. Then, as quickly as it had come, this attack of… whatever it was… had gone away. Nina slumped to the ground.

“<You’d better get away from me,>” she murmured weakly.

“<I want to help,>” said Sionna.

“<You can’t!>” snarled Nina. Sionna backed away a step, cowed by Nina’s sudden fierceness. She hung her head hopelessly.

“<My sweet!>” Sionna winced again; Fluff had awakened and fluttered down to Sionna’s side. “<What seems to be the matter?>”

“<Could you please stop calling me that?>” she asked flatly.

“<As you wish.>” The Woobat angled himself downward in an imitation of a bow. “<But might I ask why?>”

“<Because it’s creepy,>” Sionna said, squirming.

“<What is this ‘creepy’ you speak of?>” Fluff replied. “<I only wish to be of help to my dearest…>”

“<Look, I’m not your ‘dearest’ anything, okay? So knock it off!>” Sionna screeched.

“<Why do you reject me?>” Fluff queried, finally showing a hint of emotion. “<I only wish to express my undying…>”

“<You want to test that ‘undying’ part?>” snapped Sionna, her patience at an end. “<Because if you keep talking, I just might kill you.>”

“<Can both of you please… shut – UP!>” Nina screamed all of a sudden – except her choice of words was a bit more colorful.

Fluff gasped audibly. “<Such coarse language! Fear not, milady, I shall remove this vulgar creature from your sight!>”

“<You want vulgar, huh?>” Nina uttered, her eyes wide as she backed away, crouched low as she fixed a murderous gaze on the Woobat. “<‘Vulgar’ is what I’m going to do to you if you don’t get the hell out of my face by the count of three! ONE….>”

“<A warrior of honor such as myself never backs down from a challenge!>” Fluff puffed himself up. “<Female or not, if you wish to strike a blow, then you shall fall by my hand!>”

“<You don’t have hands!>” interjected Sionna.

“<TWO…>” growled Nina, and she was well and truly ready to go berserk now.

“Nina! Lake!”

“Sionna! Fluff!”

This non-Pokémon shout got everyone’s attention.

“<Hark! Our lady beckons us!>” chirped Fluff, flitting toward the humans that had walked in.

“Oh, look at that,” Talia mused with a smile as Fluff settled onto her shoulder. “He knows me already.”

“You all been behaving yourselves while we’ve been gone?” Dalton asked Lake, who arrived first, fluttering around his head at eye level.

“<Honestly, if I told you, you wouldn’t believe me,>” she chirped.

“Hey,” Dalton said to Nina, who came trudging up last. If looks could kill, Nina’s eyes would have been a weapon of mass destruction. “You’re not still mad at me, are you?”

Nina made no response – she just kept growling.

“I know what’ll cheer you up,” Dalton said, kneeling down next to her. “I heard the gym leader’s back in town. We’re going to another battle tod—”

As soon as the word ‘battle’ left Dalton’s lips, Nina darted through the nearby doors.

Talia blinked blankly. “Somebody’s eager.”

Dalton frowned, scratching the back of his head. “I think she’s had a little bit of a chip on her shoulder lately…”

“<Um… ‘scume?>” came a chirp from vaguely behind Dalton.

“Hmm?” Dalton whirled around.

“<Um… can I come, too?>” she asked quickly. “<I can fight. Can I come? Huh? Please?>”

“Of course you’re coming,” replied Dalton. “You’re part of the team, right?”

“<Really?>” Lake chirped jubilantly. “<AWESOME!>”

And she soared through the open doorway.

“Dalton, I think your Pidove’s heart pumps energy drink,” Talia answered flatly.

Dalton (feeling a slight lurch in his belly as Talia accidently brought up yet another thing that reminded him of his old friend, Evan, who used to chug energy drinks like nobody’s business) grimaced and replied, “Yeah, I think so, too…”

When the two made their way to the front of the Pokémon Center, Phineas Assad was already waiting for them, but to their great surprise, his appearance had changed drastically. The trenchcoat was gone, replaced now by simple outfit of cargo pants (sort of like Dalton’s shorts but longer) with what had to have been half a dozen pockets – what the hell was he keeping in those? – and a black jersey shirt. Gone also was the scruffy beard. He had shaven clean, taking perhaps a good ten years off his age, to the point where he now didn’t look much older than either of them. Talia pulled up short.

“What’s wrong with you?” asked Phineas, addressing Talia for once instead of Dalton. “Not used to seeing what a real man’s arms look like?”

Dalton had kind of figured by Phineas’s build that he was cut – he just didn’t realize how cut.

“W-what’s that supposed to mean?” she uttered, her eyes flickering over to Dalton before looking at Phineas again.

“What’s the matter?” asked Dalton, now that he’d realized what Phineas was implying. “Got tired of the hobo look?”

“I’ve been told I look like two different people based on if I have a beard or not,” Phineas commented. “As much as I don’t want to look like I’m… fifteen?”

He glanced at Dalton.

“Seventeen,” Dalton said, suppressing a strong desire to punch Phineas right in the jaw.

Seventeen,” repeated Phineas in a mocking squeak – his voice was marginally lower than Dalton’s normally.

“Keep pushing it,” Dalton warned him. “Just because I agreed to this doesn’t mean I can’t change my mind.”

“What?” Phineas raised his hands defensively. “I mean… come on. You’re skin and bones and you’re a rookie Trainer – at seventeen! They start when they’re about ten or eleven where I’m from. Not to mention you still think girls are yucky. Okay, maybe that’s going a little far… but you don’t have the balls to ask one out. You’re like a twelve-year-old stuck in the body of an awkward teenager.”

“What? I don’t –” Dalton stammered, giving Talia a quick, panicked glance. He was about to say ‘he didn’t think of Talia like that’, but that wasn’t true. Especially not after what had happened that morning. She was still a girl that happened to be friends with him. But she was an attractive girl that happened to be friends with him, who he probably wouldn’t have turned down if she wanted to do… other things. “That’s – that’s none of your business.”

“Haha…” chuckled Phineas. “Look at that… they’re both blushing. They’re so cute when they’re that age.”

Dalton’s face was certainly quite hot, but he was as determined not to look at Talia as Talia was not to look at him.

“So we’re going to the Gym, right?” Phineas added. “Okay, then… bring your little girlfriend and let’s get this over with.”

Dalton, fists clenched, watched Phineas’s back.

“Y’know, Interpol’s gonna be short an agent if he keeps it up,” he muttered, trying to distract himself.

“Are you really going to go through with this?” Talia asked, walking forward to Dalton’s side and sounding concerned.

“Not sure yet,” Dalton muttered distractedly.

The two locked eyes for a second. Dalton found it suddenly difficult.

You’re really gonna let that idiot get you wound up?

“Something wrong?” asked Talia.

Dalton took a step vaguely toward her. Talia backed away.

“What’s up?” she asked, her voice noticeably shaking. A smile flickered on her face, then disappeared, and then her lip did this funny twitch-purse thing that Dalton wouldn’t have noticed if he hadn’t been looking right at her. He shook his head.

“Just… thought I forgot something in the room, but I’ve got it,” Dalton said. “Let’s go.”

When they found the Nacrene Museum, however (Phineas was nowhere to be seen), they also found that they were not alone. No less than four teenagers were standing at the entrance, each of them contemplating it. All of them were familiar as well.

The one nearest to Dalton’s approach was a boy, nearly as tall as Dalton and also nearly as thin.

“Hm?” he uttered, turning his head and looking at Dalton and Talia through his half-framed spectacles. “Hey, guys – we’ve got company.”

Whitlea craned her, neck out, but unfortunately, Blake did, too.

“You again?”

“Yes, me again,” Dalton replied in irritation. “Can you quit blocking the gate? I’m trying to get to the Gym.”

“Gym, huh?” Blake asked. “You’re gonna have to wait in line. The four of us got here first, so we’re trying to decide among ourselves who gets first crack at Lenora.”

Dalton smiled a twitchy smile. “That’s cute. So take your rock-paper-scissors game over to the side, and while you’re doing that, I can have my match.”

Blake relaxed his rather tense gait. “You’re not getting the first shot at the badge; not after all the hard work I did to get that Dragon Skull back. If it weren’t for me, the Gym would still be closed and the cops would still be chasing those Plasma jackasses around Pinwheel Forest.”

Dalton grimaced. “You talk too much. How about this? We battle for it.”

“When are you going to get it through your thick skull?” Blake snapped. “You weren’t worth my time when Chili was tearing you a new *******. What do you think’s changed in a week?”

“You’d be surprised,” Dalton answered.

“Surprised… probably not impressed,” Blake said dismissively. “You might have taken a step to get better in the last week, but I guarantee you I’ve taken two or three.”

“Prove it, then,” Dalton bit back.

Blake’s mouth curled. “You make me sick. Your Pokémon are going to get beat to hell and back if you battle me, and you’re still going to force them?”

“Listen to yourself,” Dalton answered in disgust. “You sound just like those Team Plasma bastards.”

What did you say to me!?” Blake’s eyes flashed dangerously as he tried to break from the group. However, Whitlea pulled him back.

“Calm down,” she said imploringly. Blake raised a taut finger with his free hand and pointed it directly at Dalton.

“You don’t get to talk down to me,” he said, seething. “You don’t know a damn thing. Not about me, not about Team Plasma, not about Pokémon training. You’re nothing but a drifter, here in Unova to stir up trouble.”

“At least you got the ‘drifter’ part right,” Dalton said, revealing a Pokéball from his pocket and enlarging it. Blake responded in turn. Talia, Whitlea, and the other two teenagers whose names escaped Dalton at the moment (the blonde girl had noticeably been completely silent) started to back away. “As for ‘trouble’? Well, that depends on whose side you’re on.”

“Show me the strongest Pokémon you have,” said Blake. “That way, when I win, you won’t have any excuses.”

“Suit yourself. Nina, let’s go!”

“Macy – fight time!” Blake echoed.

Both thrown Pokéballs burst open, releasing two different but equally agitated-looking species of Pokémon. Nina’s entire small body, from her stubby tail to the spines on her light blue ears, seemed to be on edge. She and Dalton stared across the small, paved gap. The Pokémon they saw was very canine in appearance. Four brown, short, but stout legs sprouted forth from underneath an iron gray canopy of fur. Cream-colored whiskers on the Pokémon’s muzzle made it look vaguely like a man with a very robust mustache. A vague chiming sound filled the air and sparkles shot forth from its body as it raised its head to the sky and let loose a loud howl.

“You look confused,” Blake said. “Macy and I have been together for nearly three years. I found her as a Lillipup, staggering around Nuvema Town, injured, and nursed her back to health. She’ll fight like the devil if I ask her to…”

Macy released a loud bark in assent. Blake smiled.

“But I don’t think that’ll be necessary for an opponent of your skill level.” Blake’s eyes widened. “Macy, use –”

Blake pulled up short as the sound of an opening Pokéball interrupted him. They both saw the flash of light – Dalton to his right, and Blake to his left. A tall, slender, green Pokémon that could best be described as a snake with feet stood in front of Blake’s twin sister, Whitlea.

“Thanks, but no thanks, Whit,” Blake said casually. “Macy and I have more than enough strength to knock off these guys. We don’t need any help.”

“Who said we were helping you?” asked Whitlea, raising her eyebrows. “Rikki needs strong opponents.”

Another strange sound, but Dalton had seen exactly what had happened this time. The other black-haired boy, previously standing silently and observing, had suddenly decided to reveal a Pokémon of his own. (The blonde-haired girl, apparently wanting no part of this exchange, backed away to stand vaguely between this other boy and Whitlea.) This Pokémon was mostly a ginger shade and was quite squat. It flexed its short, stubby arms confidently, the nostrils on its angry red snout flaring.

“Sorry, Blake,” the boy said, closing his eyes and pushing his half-rimmed spectacles up his thin nose. “But I’m not gonna take a backseat to you or anyone else.”

His eyes opened again, revealing a sudden intensity.

“I will become the Unova League Champion – even if it means going through my best friend to do it!”

END

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Aww... he woke up? Boo, rating... :p

Interesting fantasies aside, that wasn't exactly the best way to wake up. No wonder Dalton's so anti-social... I know it's not fun to watch the socially-awkward fumble and stumble after reading Assad's needling (wonder what he and Looker want with Dalton and not Blake), but sometimes you make it painfully fun to watch/read. ;)

Speaking of Blake, I thought he was a bit of an aggravation (bit = understatement), but after that chapter... I dunno how to read him: an obnoxious saviour or the guy you love to hate, who isn't quite all there? Sure, he saves a Lillipup, will tear his sister's aggravators a new one, and he has enough empathy/moral fibre to retrieve a stolen museum artefact. Oh, and he hates Burgh. :p

However, all those good things can be counteracted: if the Lillipup IS shiny, then you could claim he's an entitled jerkass. Whitlea can clearly handle herself (thinking back to her decking Dalton on request) so you could debate him being WAY TOO overbearing. Odds are he didn't save the Dragon Skull alone (if Cheren's Tepig's evolved as well and Whit's Snivy can keep up with them) and they're arguing about who goes first (if he did the 'most', he could argue going first himself - 'not all there', remember?). If that's why they saved the skull, one would wonder how much selflessness the guy has. And who with a brain (and without a crush) DOESN'T hate Burgh (or his attitude)? Must have met some pretty boorish boys growing up, and that's as sympathetic as I can get. (And they call me 'aggressive'...)

After seeing how close Nina cut it last chapter, I'm not surprised she's a bit restless to cut loose. Fluff's an interesting add as well. Sionna must be VERY cute if bats can be affected... holy moly. This free-for-all is getting intense, and Nina's going to break the mold on their butts... or at least get Jerk- I mean, Blake- off his back. ^_^

Well, that was a lot to write. Keep the good stuff coming!

L@er!

EonMaster One

saeculum harmonia
Y'know, maybe you should bring a couple of friends with ya... ;-)

Air Dragon:

Aww... he woke up? Boo, rating... :p

Interesting fantasies aside, that wasn't exactly the best way to wake up. No wonder Dalton's so anti-social... I know it's not fun to watch the socially-awkward fumble and stumble after reading Assad's needling (wonder what he and Looker want with Dalton and not Blake), but sometimes you make it painfully fun to watch/read.

Hehehe... I'm evil like that.

Speaking of Blake, I thought he was a bit of an aggravation (bit = understatement), but after that chapter... I dunno how to read him: an obnoxious saviour or the guy you love to hate, who isn't quite all there? Sure, he saves a Lillipup, will tear his sister's aggravators a new one, and he has enough empathy/moral fibre to retrieve a stolen museum artefact. Oh, and he hates Burgh. :p

How about an obnoxious savior that you love to have, who isn't quite all there? Or, in layman's terms, anti-hero who may or may not be completely sane.

However, all those good things can be counteracted: if the Lillipup IS shiny, then you could claim he's an entitled jerkass. Whitlea can clearly handle herself (thinking back to her decking Dalton on request) so you could debate him being WAY TOO overbearing. Odds are he didn't save the Dragon Skull alone (if Cheren's Tepig's evolved as well and Whit's Snivy can keep up with them) and they're arguing about who goes first (if he did the 'most', he could argue going first himself - 'not all there', remember?). If that's why they saved the skull, one would wonder how much selflessness the guy has. And who with a brain (and without a crush) DOESN'T hate Burgh (or his attitude)? Must have met some pretty boorish boys growing up, and that's as sympathetic as I can get. (And they call me 'aggressive'...)

Well, is a guy with a shiny really entitled, or is he just incredibly lucky? Especially for a Pokemon that, besides that one deliberate difference, wouldn't be all that spectacular? As a Trainer from Nuvema Town, he was 'entitled' to one of the three starter Pokemon, all of which are much more rare and presumably stronger if raised right. So why did he not take one of those? Interesting question, hmm?

As for being overbearing, it may be somewhat true, but it also may not be without his merits. Based on what you'll find out about Assad later, he probably wouldn't have been the type of guy Whitlea could have overpowered.

After seeing how close Nina cut it last chapter, I'm not surprised she's a bit restless to cut loose. Fluff's an interesting add as well. Sionna must be VERY cute if bats can be affected... holy moly. This free-for-all is getting intense, and Nina's going to break the mold on their butts... or at least get Jerk- I mean, Blake- off his back. ^_^

Well, Vulpix are very cute as a rule... but Sionna's a mirror version of her trainer - cute but not completely innocent (parallel Talia's reference to her playing doctor with a friend with Sionna's very frank musing that Talia's going to want to jump Dalton's bones sooner or later) and even a bit naughty/mischievous. Fluff... well, Fluff is Don Quixote, basically. Lake's hyper and possibly a hot dog or two short of a cookout. Hopefully, I'm getting as good a feel for Pokemon personalities that I had in the old days. I'll really need it this time around.

- ;196; EM1

EonMaster One

saeculum harmonia
~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~
14. Four-Way Stop
~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~

The Fire-type Pokémon vaguely to Dalton’s right snorted loudly, issuing sparks and billows of smoke from its pig-like snout. Dalton, his heart pounding, went for his Pokédex, knowing he’d probably have seconds, if that, to gather the information he wanted.

Pignite – the Fire Pig Pokémon,” PokéDex-Amanita announced as Dalton pointed it at the tubby, red creature, who stood about three feet off the ground. “Pignite is the evolved form of Tepig.” (a smaller picture featuring a Pokémon that looked like an orange piglet replaced Pignite for a moment before glowing white and shapeshifting into its current form.) “Whatever it eats becomes fuel for the flame in its stomach. When it is angered, the intensity of the flame increases.

Dalton’s eyes flickered upward to the tall, bespectacled youth that was Pignite’s trainer. He quickly flickered to Whitlea, who was exchanging a glance with her brother. Below her stood the green, snake-like creature.

Servine – the Grass Snake Pokémon, and the evolved form of Snivy. It moves along the ground as if sliding. Its swift movements befuddle its foes, and it then attacks with a vine whip.

Dalton switched quickly to Blake, and the dog-like beast that stood before him. It looked vaguely familiar.

Herdier – the Loyal Dog Pokémon and the evolved form of Lillipup.” Dalton immediately noticed a very obvious difference between the PokéDex picture of Herdier, and Blake’s Macy. “It loyally follows its Trainer's orders. For ages, they have helped Trainers raise Pokémon.

“Uh…” Dalton spoke into the PokéDex. “How come this Pokémon’s a different color?”

“Rarely, some Pokémon appear in the wild that are differently colored to their majority counterparts,” the PokéDex explained. “They tend to give off a degree of bioluminescence, and because of it, are often referred to as ‘Shiny Pokémon’.”

“Shiny Pokémon…” Dalton repeated to himself, pocketing the Pokédex. One thing that was immediately noticeable when he looked at Nina in comparison to the Pokémon of the other three trainers was that Nina was somewhat outsized. The other three Pokémon were all larger than she, but this did not seem to intimidate her one bit. She stood her ground, looking all too eager to attack.

“Be careful!” shouted Talia from somewhere behind him. “Evolved Pokémon are much stronger!”

“Oh, really?” muttered Dalton savagely, but quietly enough so Talia couldn’t hear him.

“Oh, look at that, he’s brought his own cheering section,” Blake said disdainfully. “Macy, use Bite on that Nidoran!”

Barking in assent, Macy the Herdier bounded forward.

“<Come on!>” snarled Nina, tensing her pale, small form in anticipation.

About halfway across the space, something long and green caught Macy across the face. The canine beast went sprawling to the ground. Dalton’s eyes followed the long, ropelike whip as it retracted back into the body of Whitlea’s Servine.

“Whit!” snapped Blake.

“Forgot about something, didn’t you?” Whitlea asked, a coy smile crossing her face. Then, as soon as it had come, it had gone; “Rikki, use Tackle on Macy!”

Dalton took his opportunity. “Nina, use Tackle on Macy!”

From two different angles, two different Pokémon rushed the Herdier. Blake shook his head and dropped it. Was he… laughing?

“What’s so funny?” asked Dalton.

“Wait for it…” Blake murmured almost sleepily. Dalton watched the angles of the attacks. Macy was looking from Nina to Rikki, then back to Nina. Nina and Rikki were going to get there at the exact same time…

“Got him!” shouted Whitlea – but Dalton had other ideas.

“Nina, slide off!” he warned.
“Jump!” Blake shouted at the exact same time.

Nina skidded to a stop right in front of Macy, who leapt into the air. Rikki passed under Macy, flailing a bit as the Servine had braced himself for an impact that never came.

“Take Down on Nina!” snarled Blake. No sooner than Macy had landed than she launched herself forward, smashing into the Nidoran full-force. Nina let out a screech of pain and skidded back a long way but kept her feet, staggering and trying to shake loose the cobwebs. “Perfect – now Tackle Rikki!”

Macy turned herself around with surprising agility for a four-legged creature. She launched herself at Whitlea’s Servine, who was just turning around and completely unprepared. Rikki took the assault full force and could not keep his feet.

“Nina, use Poison Sting on… Pignite!” Dalton yelled. Nina seemed confused for a second, but turned her attention toward the Fire-type. Her short horn started to glow an ominous violet color.

“What!?” Cheren was taken completely off guard. “Chao, dodge it!”

But Chao was much too bulky and slow. The projectile Nina fired from her horn struck Chao in the arm. He favored one wrist with the other hand and staggered backward.

Cheren frowned. “Okay – fine, you asked for it! Go, Chao! Use Ember!”

“Nina, move!” Dalton ordered in reply. Nina leapt aside as a stream of hot sparks shot forth from Chao’s snout showered the place where she had been standing. To her great shock and horror, though, Chao was already advancing.

“Diversionary tactic,” Cheren said, pushing his glasses up his face. He angled his head so that the sun reflected off them, hiding his eyes in ominous screens of white. “FLAME CHARGE!”

Taking off at an earth-rumbling run, the small but extremely heavy Pignite lowered his body, which quickly became wreathed in pure fire.

Dalton had no answer for this, except to pull up short and utter, “Oh, f—”

CRUNCH. A white flash barreled into Chao, knocking the Pignite off course. The white flash dissipated, revealing a Herdier who landed on the ground and bounded at Nina next.

“Sorry, Cheren, but he’s mine,” Blake said. “Use Tackle, Macy!”

Dalton had barely any time to react. “Tackle, Nina!”

The two Pokémon bounced off each other, but Nina, being the much smaller and weaker of the two, looked like she had come off worse.

Blake smirked and shook his head. “That’s about enough of that. Macy, use Take Down!”

Macy jumped forward, wreathed in white light again.

“Nina, roll under and use Double Kick!”

Nina rolled backward with the impact, falling on her back as Macy’s much larger body passed over her. There was a horrific sound of impact and Macy went airborne, howling in pain as she traveled across the field in a wide arc, landing on her back not far in front of Blake. Macy appeared to have been very injured by Dalton’s counter. She took a while to return to her feet, and when she did, she looked more than a bit wobbly. A moment later, Macy yelped – two of the green ropes Dalton had seen earlier snared the Herdier around her body, holding her fast.

Blake swore. “Macy, use Bite on those vines!”

This had a very predictable result; Rikki screeched in horrible pain but would not give way as he and Macy became involved in a somewhat violent tug-of-war.

“Cheren!” Rikki’s brunette trainer called to the black-haired youth. “Cheren, take the shot!”

Blake’s eyes widened as he realized what was happening.

Cheren pushed his glasses up his face. “Chao, use Ember…”

The Pignite ran into position and inhaled.

Pointing, Cheren finished with extra emphasis, “…on Rikki’s vines!”

“What!?” both brown-haired twins chorused.

Dalton looked on as Chao started his assault on the supple, green vines attaching Rikki to Macy. Rikki let out a horrible screech of pain as flames enveloped the vines, traveling in both directions like Chao had just lit a fuse. Flames took over and scorched the twin trainers’ two Pokémon at almost the same time. Both Pokémon let out similar sounds of pain. Both trainers released similar sounds of shock.

But only one combatant withdrew itself from the other and toppled completely, and that was Rikki, Whitlea’s Servine, whose vines slid back into his body before he fell to the ground, his serpentine body scorched and blackened by flames. Whitlea grimaced, obviously not having seen that coming.

Cheren angled his head toward Whitlea. “Nothing personal, Whit. Now, as for you two…”

He looked between the two other boys and their Pokémon.

“Now that you’ve spent the last five minutes in a junk-measuring contest, your Pokémon are all tired out while Chao has plenty of strength left,” he said coolly, pushing his glasses up his face for the umpteenth time. As if to accentuate his trainer’s point, Chao flexed his short, stubby arms and released plumes of smoke from his nostrils. Just as he did that, though, something appeared to go wrong. He gripped his previously injured arm, suddenly going off-color.

Dalton immediately thought back to when he had ordered the Poison Sting attack on Chao. Chao hadn’t quite been able to avoid it and had taken the poisoned dart right in the arm…

Blake smiled. “So much for that idea. But at least Pignite has some durability to it. I’m surprised the Nidoran’s still standing.”

Dalton took a look at Nina, whose breathing was labored. She looked very pale.

“Not even evolved… you should have called her back when you had the chance, Gregg,” Blake sighed. “I’ll give your Nidoran her due – she’s scrappy. But ‘scrappy’ doesn’t bring home the bacon.”

Chao flexed his arms and squealed angrily. Apparently, he hadn’t liked that comment.

“It’s like I said…” Blake said, shrugging his shoulders. “I find it hard to believe you could have possibly improved all that much in a week.”

“You don’t know me very well, then,” Dalton replied. “I’m a fast learner.”

“Well, hopefully you’ll learn this lesson on the first try,” answered Blake. “If not… this might happen again. Take Down, Macy!”

“Dalton, no!” exclaimed Talia in horror. “Nina can’t take another hit like that!”

“Chao, use Flame Charge again!” shouted Cheren. Chao gathered himself and took off at a plodding run that seemed to grow faster with each step. Nina was again caught between a rock and a hard place. Dalton thought of having her dodge, but she was cornered. The only way she could go was up, and even if she could jump high enough, they’d be waiting for her when she landed. Not to mention Blake would completely see it coming.

“Jump and Double Kick Chao!!” Dalton finally yelled. Nina bounded forward to meet Chao and leapt at the last second. Macy barreled into Chao instead, but could not displace the much larger Fire Pig Pokémon, who took a stomping attack to the back from Nina as the latter rolled down the Pignite’s back. She finally righted herself. Macy had gone into a much heavier opponent headfirst and was trying to clear the cobwebs.

But there was no clearing of cobwebs that could help Chao, who was motionless, completely out on his feet. After a tense second, he sunk to the ground and hit it with a thud.

Cheren’s face contorted. “Damn.”

Blake looked unfazed as Cheren returned Chao in a flash of red light and turned his head away, swearing in frustration.

“You okay, Cher?” asked Bianca, who had been standing behind him, literally as quiet as a church mouse this entire time.

“Don’t –” Cheren snapped. Bianca flinched. “I’m fine.”

But as he walked off with his hands in his pockets, he looked anything but fine. Bianca shot Whitlea a look, which the brunette returned with an apologetic grimace. Bianca gave chase. “Cher, wait up!”

Meanwhile, Nina and Macy had come to their respective trainers’ sides. Each was badly bruised and breathing heavily, having sustained a large amount of damage. Nina in particular had taken so many hits, Dalton was wondering what was keeping her upright.

Blake’s lip curled. “Looks like nobody wins this little contest.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” replied Dalton bitingly.

Blake shook his head disdainfully. “Isn’t it obvious? Look at both of them. I’m not going to be fool enough to go straight in and battle Lenora once this is over. Macy’s a mess. And your Nidoran looks like she could hit the ground any moment. We know how this is going to end.”

It took everything Dalton had to keep his temper. “If you were afraid, you could have just said so.”

Blake’s teeth bared in one of those disturbing expressions that made Dalton wonder about the teenage boy’s sanity. “Afraid?! Macy, use Take Down!”

“Nina, Tackle!” Dalton shouted the first thing that came to mind.

The two Pokémon bounced off each other halfway between their two trainers, leaving a nasty, echoing sound of impact in their wake. If Pokémon had bones, it certainly sounded like one of them had broken something. But as they both skidded backward on the ground, each kept her feet, although Nina seemed to be the one having much more trouble. She seemed to falter for a moment, staggering drunkenly sideways before getting all fours under her again, shaking her head.

“Fall, damn it! Why won’t you fall?!” Blake suddenly yelled in frustration. “Macy, use Take Down!”

“Blake, stop it!” Whitlea yelled desperately.

It was a moot point – neither Pokémon seemed to have a single attack left in them. They both remained still, staring at each other and trying very obviously to stave off unconsciousness.

Then, without any sort of warning, Nina exploded in a flash of brilliant white light.

“****!” Dalton swore, starting to run toward his Pokémon, wondering if his pushing her a bit too far had caused something horrible to happen.

“Dalton, leave her!” Talia shouted. Dalton whirled around.

“WHAT!?”

The light faded. Dalton turned back around to see his Nidoran – except his Nidoran was no longer there.

It had been replaced… by a similar blue creature, although this one was spinier, bluer, and very nearly the same size as Macy.

Speaking of Macy, she had given off a very loud yelp of surprise – moments before crimson light engulfed her and sucked her back into the Pokéball in Blake’s right hand.

“This isn’t getting anywhere,” the youth sighed. Whitlea, who was standing behind him, seemed to be shocked.

“Blake…”

“It’s fine, Whit,” Blake answered. Meanwhile, Dalton’s focus was on the strange, new creature, who was staring back at him with large, blood red eyes. A bit gingerly, he reached his hand out toward the creature, who leaned forward into his touch.

“Nina…?” Dalton uttered questioningly. The creature responded with a faint mewling sound that seemed sort of unfitting for its appearance.

Blake rolled his eyes.

“It’s you,” Dalton said, trying to contain his astonishment. “But you’re… different.”

“Your Pokémon’s evolved, okay?” Blake interrupted from a few feet away. Dalton looked up. Blake wasn’t meeting his eye, and looked irritated. “Female Nidoran, when they gather enough experience, evolve into a species called Nidorina. Honestly, you act like you’ve never seen a Pokémon before. On the other hand, though, I guess… even though you’re a trainer with mediocre talent and no experience… your Pokémon does care for you a lot.”

“Was that supposed to be a compliment?” Dalton asked distrustfully.

“Just make sure you take good care of your Pokémon,” said Blake, going into his pocket. “If you don’t do that, you and I are going to have a problem.”

“We already have a problem,” Dalton said. “I think you’re a cocky, pretentious little douchebag.”

“You’re entitled to that opinion,” Blake said, almost sounding like he was fighting down a laugh. “Just don’t forget, opinions are like assholes – everybody has one, a lot of ‘em are full of crap.”

“You must be so popular with your sunny disposition,” Dalton snarked, watching as Blake threw something toward him. After looking nonplussed for a moment, Dalton caught it, albeit very clumsily.

Blake let out a bark of a laugh. “Nice catch, butterfingers. I wasn’t going to throw you a second one… things are frickin’ expensive.”

What was in Dalton’s hand was a pinkish spray bottle, labeled “SUPER” across the front.

“Maybe I was wrong about you…” Blake said. “That doesn’t change anything, though. I’m not going to roll over for some Johnny-come-lately that’s been training Pokémon all of a week. It’s my destiny to be the League Champion, understand? That’s what’s meant to happen.”

“That’s too bad,” Dalton replied. “I never got that memo.”

Blake threw his head back and let out a laugh that was grating and alarmingly cold. “Well, good luck, Gregg. You’re gonna need it.”

And with that, he stalked off down the road. Talia walked to Dalton’s side and the both of them watched him walk away.

“There’s something wrong with that kid,” the redhead remarked, shaking her head.

“…Besides being a cocky, pretentious little douchebag?” replied Dalton flatly.

“I mean, as in, ‘he’s not all there’,” said Talia. “That’s a Super Potion, by the way.”

“Super Potion?” repeated Dalton, poring over the spray bottle. “Sort of like a Potion on steroids?”

“Yeah,” uttered Talia. “That’s the idea.”

“Daaaaaamn,” came a voice from a nearby tree. A couple of leaves fell before the tree spat out Phineas Assad, who leaned back against it. “You guys’ lives are full of drama. I should’ve brought some popcorn with me.”

“Phineas?” uttered Talia. “I was wondering where you’d gotten off to.”

“Oh, really? You cared? I didn’t,” Dalton deadpanned, looking at Talia for a moment after spraying down Nina with the Super Potion he’d just been gifted.

“Hey – where and how I get off isn’t any of your business,” Phineas said smugly. “Not yet, anyway. And don’t call me ‘Phineas.’”

“What, then?” Dalton asked. “First call you Phineas and then don’t call you Phineas? Make up your mind already…”

“Phineas Assad is a special agent for the Sinnoh branch of the International Police,” Phineas explained. “I’m just a drifter that latched onto two random teenagers.”

“Sounds sorta creepy if you put it like that,” remarked Talia. “What do you want to be called? Finn?”

Phineas’s face twitched. “I hate that name…”

“That settles it – ‘Finn’ it is,” Dalton said quickly. The blond-haired young man pursed his lips in disapproval.

“That’s funny. Really mature…”

“Hey, don’t push it,” Dalton answered. “My first thought was to call you ‘Richard’, or short for ‘Richard’…”

Talia let out a snort but quickly stifled it. Phineas rolled his eyes and showed Dalton a certain digit on his right hand. “Let’s go get what you came here for and get outta here.”

~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~​

Dalton looked vaguely about himself. His first thought was that he wished he’d had some sort of jacket. For whatever reason, they liked it cool in here. It was a large, tiled atrium that appeared at first glance to have many glass-enclosed displays. In the center of the room was a skeleton of what must have been a massive creature indeed. A dark-skinned woman with green hair stood near it, along with what looked like two local police officers (Talia shifted to try to hide herself).

“Right,” the woman said with a nod, “Everything looks to be in order. Thank y’all for all your help.”

“Anytime, ma’am,” a young, nervous-looking officer answered. “Just doing our job.”

“You’ll have to forgive my partner here, Ms. Lenora. He’s only been with us about six months and this is the first time he’s been on a case of this magnitude.” The other officer looked a bit like everyone’s worst stereotype of a policeman – middle-aged, square-jawed, and with more than a bit of extra padding around his belt region.

“It’s no problem at all, Officer,” the woman said in a sweet, somewhat motherly voice. “Now – y’all take care!”

“You too, ma’am.” The older officer tipped his cap to Lenora and they started in the direction of Dalton and the others. Talia bent down to tie her shoe as they approached. The younger of the two cops was out front and passed Dalton with a polite tip of his cap. The older policeman didn’t… “You got a registration for those, buddy?”

Dalton looked over his shoulder, his heart sinking for a moment, before he saw the officer laughing jovially and tapping Phineas on one of his ample biceps. Phineas smiled rather awkwardly, as if being friendly wasn’t something he was used to doing. The officers departed and Dalton could hear the nearby receptionist breathe an audible sigh of relief.

Dalton turned forward again and found Lenora right upon him. At only a half head shorter than Dalton himself, she wasn’t a short woman. Her wide, green eyes bored into Dalton, as if searching him for his intentions. At least, that’s what it felt like.

“It’s not often I see people your age in our museum,” Lenora said with a smile. “Welcome!”

“Museum?” Dalton repeated. “Actually, I was looking for the Nacrene Gym.”

“Oh? You’ve come to the right place, then, hon!” Lenora answered. She had a bit of a drawling accent that Dalton couldn’t quite place. “What’s your name?”

“Dalton Gregg,” answered Dalton.

“I’m Lenora. I’m the Gym Leader here. You didn’t happen to see a boy named Blake anywhere in town, did you?” Lenora glanced around Dalton’s shoulder. “I was sort of expecting him…”

Dalton shrugged his shoulders.

“Oh, well… first come, first served, I guess. Follow me!” Lenora exclaimed, waving her hand in a beckoning motion as she turned around. Dalton walked after her, and then heard Talia speak behind him.

“You’re not coming, Finn?”

“I’d… like to check out these exhibits. They look interesting,” he heard Phineas’s voice reply. “I’ll catch up with you kids later.”

Dalton’s ire flared at being called a ‘kid’, but he decided to let it go. After all, he’d probably have several days during which he could carry out all manner of subtle, passive-aggressive revenge against his new ‘friend’. Talia caught up to Dalton’s side right as they passed through the museum into what was obviously a small library.

“So, Dalton… you like books?” asked Lenora.

“…Depends,” answered Dalton laconically.

“You seem like the type,” said Lenora. “You remind me of my husband, a little bit…”

“Wh-you’re married?” Talia blurted out – evidently before she could stop herself, as she clapped her hands to her mouth immediately after.

“Yes, I am,” Lenora answered. “Does that surprise you?”

“Yes. I didn’t know any of the Gym Leaders were married,” answered Talia, who for some reason looked as if Lenora had given her an early Christmas present. “You seem pretty… I dunno. Independent.”

“Well, I didn’t marry Hawes because I needed a man – that’s for sure,” Lenora said. “I married Hawes because… well, you know… I love Hawes. And he loves me. Pretty simple, really.”

“Is he in his books all the time?” Talia asked.

“Most of the time,” Lenora said. “But I don’t mind that, because I’m runnin’ the Gym most of the time. We always make time for each other, though. And when we do, well… we enjoy ourselves.”

The wry, wistful smile on Lenora’s face made it pretty obvious what she’d meant.

“Do you have any kids?” asked Talia, obviously emboldened by Lenora’s (however subtle) openness. In fairness, after Lenora’s last comment, this was probably a valid question to ask.

“Not yet,” Lenora answered. “Maybe one day.”

She arrived at a bookcase and began to push books aside.

“Secret switch?” inquired Dalton.

Lenora smiled. “You’re a sharp one. A lot of people don’t figure that out. Watch yourselves, now…”

She pressed the switch and stepped back. The entire bookcase shifted aside, revealing a set of stairs which Lenora descended. Dalton and Talia followed.

“So… are you two together?” Lenora asked. Dalton huffed. Just because he knew the question was coming didn’t make it any less awkward.

“Ah… no, just…” Talia answered with a bit of a surprised stammer. “Just traveling partners, is all.”

“So ‘not yet’,” Lenora stated, a knowing smile crossing her face again. Talia took a deep breath.

“God, Lenora, it’s really cold down here,” she said, audibly rubbing her shoulders.

“Hawes likes the air on full,” Lenora said. “Says it’s to protect the exhibits and books. But I’ve always been a warm-weather gal myself… You get used to it, I guess.”

“Speak for yourself,” groused Talia. Fortunately for her, the well-lit basement area Lenora led them into wasn’t nearly as cold as the dim stairwell. It was rather quiet down here, save for a bespectacled youth that had a broom and appeared to be sweeping the floor. A closer look revealed that this large expanse of sandy-colored floor was a Pokémon battlefield. This was a marked difference, though, in this venue and the last; when Dalton had been in Striaton City, he’d served as a crowd’s mid-meal entertainment. There was no such throng of visitors for this Gym. Dalton supposed that this was why Gym Badges existed. Other than Talia, Dalton and Lenora themselves, and this stranger sweeping the grounds, no one else would know the result of the battle for sure.

“It’s clean enough, Antonio,” Lenora said rather firmly, as if the young man’s actions were a problem of sorts. “Now, go get the flags… we got a challenger.”

“Oh… yes, ma’am,” Antonio stammered a bit nervously, whisking from the battleground with his broom in hand.

“Poor dear,” Lenora commented once Antonio was out of earshot. “He can’t help sweeping for some reason… I think he’s got some sort of problem…”

Lenora raised her eyebrows apologetically.

“So, you didn’t run across Burgh at any point, did you?” asked Lenora.

“Burgh?” repeated Dalton.

“I’m guessing that’s a ‘no’, then,” Lenora replied. “Burgh’s the Gym Leader up in Castelia City.”

“Next town over?” Dalton asked.

Lenora smiled a dewy smile – but then, that might have been the generous amount of lip gloss she was wearing. “You’ve never been there, have you? ‘Town’ doesn’t quite do it justice. To get on by foot, you have to cross the Skyarrow Bridge. Now I’ve always been a small town girl myself, but the view is to die for. But then, maybe I’m biased. It’s where Hawes proposed to me, see.”

“Huh? Oh, that’s… interesting…” muttered Dalton, feeling uncomfortable.

Meanwhile…

“ ‘scuse me…”

A boy brushed by her, eyes behind shades, and legs trapped in a pair of jeans that may have been better suited on a preteen girl. She had learned not to mock others’ fashion choices. Everyone had their own style, after all, including her. Most girls her age nowadays dressed to show off their developing forms. She, on the other hand, dressed somewhat to hide hers. That was for two reasons, really. One of those reasons was her father, who was a bit too aware of how his teenaged daughter was ‘filling out in all the right places’, so to speak, and was thoroughly uncomfortable about it. There was no way he’d have let her out of the house dressed like one of her friends.

Granted, that particular friend of hers didn’t have a father in the picture – something this girl actually envied from time to time, as horrible as it sounded.

The other reason was that people had made jokes about her body more than once. Unlike some of her other friends, she had started filling out a bit younger, and frequent references used to be made (even once or twice by her own mother) to her ‘child-bearing hips’, much to this girl’s embarrassment. The other girl in her friend group didn’t have this problem. She was shapely enough, with long hair, blue eyes, and legs that seemed to stretch on forever.

The girl scanned the outdoor café area for this particular friend, and perhaps for her twin as well – although he was likely at the Gym earning a badge at the moment. This would be much, much easier - in fact, this would only be remotely possible – without their presence.

After scanning the outdoor deck for a while, she finally came to realize that the twins were, in fact, not here at the café. But another boy was, sitting at a table toward the deck’s railed edge, sipping on coffee, reading a newspaper through his rimmed glasses, and overall looking much older than his fifteen years. He put his newspaper on the table, turned his wrist to look at his watch for a moment, and then went back to reading.

The girl took a deep breath and tried to gather herself.

“Okay, Bianca, don’t go crazy,” she whispered to herself. “This isn’t a big deal.”

She paused for a moment.

“Ohh…” she groaned, dropping her head. “Who am I kidding?”

She turned around and started back down the stairs. Then she stopped, took a deep breath and clenched her fists, steeling herself.

“No,” she said. “I promised myself I won’t be scared anymore.”

She nearly ran up the stairs, afraid that a moment’s hesitation would cause her to lose her nerve. A bit breathlessly, she plopped down in the seat opposite him. The newspaper flipped down a second later, revealing bespectacled eyes and black hair.

The boy sighed. “You’re late again, Bee-Bee.”

“Wh—” Bianca stammered. He seemed somewhat upset. Yet, he had called her by her pet name, so he couldn’t have been too mad with her, right? Maybe he’d reveal his true mood with a bit of self-deprecating humor, she thought. “Well… you know me. I’m the dumb blonde with no sense of time.”

“You’re not dumb, Bee-Bee,” he replied, putting down the newspaper. “You just don’t focus all the time.”

Some encouragement? That was a good sign, right?

“You okay?” he asked.

“Yeah – I’m fine,” Bianca answered. Even she noticed how squeaky she sounded. He must have noticed, too. He tilted his head quizzically.

“No, seriously… are you alright? Your face is all red,” he remarked. “You call me to meet up with you, and then you show up late… which I guess is sort of normal for you, but you still don’t seem like yourself.”

“What about you?” asked Bianca. “You stormed off after the match, and then…”

“Should I like losing?” he replied, and now he seemed to be on edge. “I don’t enjoy being second-best all the time, Bianca.”

He was very visibly scowling at her through his glasses, wearing an expression that said all too clearly that he wanted to explode, but couldn’t find the words to say. His eyes were shining. Maybe watering… probably not. It had been years since she had seen him shed a tear. It must have been a trick of the light. He blinked hard and then stood, turning to walk away and leaving the newspaper there on the table. With him went her chance… maybe her best chance.

Maybe her only chance.

She jumped to her feet.

“W-Wait a second!”

He pulled up short, almost as if he’d been waiting for her to stop him.

~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~​

Discreetly, Phineas Assad stalked from exhibit to exhibit, poring over them, looking for anything out of the ordinary. Just his luck, the curator of the museum was unavailable for comment. The receptionist had said that Hawes had stepped out of the museum to ‘calm his nerves’ after the incident… which Phineas had the feeling involved either coffee (as little sense as that would make) or alcohol.

Then again, Hawes didn’t strike Phineas much as even a social drinker. He seemed very well-settled for a man that was probably still rather young. A wife and a steady, professional job… it seemed to be an unspoken dream of most people to achieve that level of normalcy. Which was why the fact that he and the adventurous Lenora seemed to Phineas to be somewhat of an odd couple. But whom people chose to romance and marry wasn’t any of Phineas’s business – nor was it any of his concern. His concern was about a dangerous organization of criminal extremists – and what interest those extremists would have had with an artifact at this museum…

He stopped at the path to the Gym. For a brief second, he was curious about how the Gym match was going…

That curiosity was gone in the blink of an eye. Truth was, he didn’t care. It wasn’t his job to care. Although, Phineas mused, if Dalton lost his Gym battle, it would likely keep them here in Nacrene City for three more days… which would total roughly four days more than Phineas wanted to stay here. He would just have to hope that Dalton was good enough.

“Yes. Thank you very much.” Phineas’s ears picked up a calm, sweet voice behind him. He turned his head. A girl was striding into the museum. A wide-brimmed hat covered the top of her head. Her hair, which seemed to be combed mostly to one side, was not only still visible in all of its midnight-black glory, but also quite long, tied into a thick braid that hung over one shoulder, coming down nearly to her hips. Not that Phineas could get a good idea of her body shape – she was wearing a very conservative dress that seemed to be making every effort to conceal her form. Still, though, there was something about her waist that drew quite a bit of Phineas’s attention, and it wasn’t what one would think; attached to this dress, as if it belonged there as an accessory, was a belt full of Pokéballs. It wasn’t like female Pokémon trainers weren’t known to wear dresses before, but Phineas got the feeling that there was much more to this girl than met the eye.

She seemed to notice Phineas was staring at her, and strode toward him. Phineas could see her face well now that she was closer. It was pale and youthful enough to belong to a very young teenager. Yet, she carried herself with a certain womanly air that pointed to her perhaps being quite a bit older than that. Her eyes were startlingly green, and there was a doll-like quality to her that immediately put Phineas on his guard.

“Is there something you need?” she asked.

Phineas grimaced. “Nope. What’s a girl like you doing here?”

“Looking for someone,” she answered. “Maybe you’ve seen him?”

Phineas raised his eyebrows. “So it’s a guy. Real specific. Do you have a description of this mystery man?”

The girl nodded. “He’s a bit tall… handsome, brown-haired…”

“You probably described about every third guy in Unova,” Phineas said in annoyance.

“Normally wears a hat,” she went on. Phineas tilted his head.

“Go on…”

“One of his Pokémon would be a Herdier,” the girl explained. “The other’s a… I’m sorry. It’s either Sawk or Throh. I always get the two mixed up. I’m not from here.”

She smiled a disarming smile that, if anything, made Phineas even less trustful of her. She must have noticed the look he was giving her, because the smile disappeared after that.

“Not from Unova, you mean?” Phineas queried. “Where, then?”

The girl raised her eyebrows and smiled. Clearly, she had no intention of answering that question.

“Anyway…” Phineas sighed. “I think I know a guy like that.”

“Really?” she asked, and a bit of her youth started to show. “Have you seen him?”

“Actually, I did a few minutes ago,” said Phineas. “He’s not here.”

The girl’s face fell.

“But…” uttered Phineas somewhat nonchalantly. “He’ll be here eventually. Maybe he’ll show up if you wait for him?”

The girl smiled. “I’ll come back later. I’ve other things to do.”

And she turned on her heel to leave. That was when Phineas realized that the gown she was wearing wasn’t nearly as prudish-looking in the back – mainly because the back of it was largely nonexistent. Now that Phineas had gotten a look at her face, he supposed this girl must have been of age. After all, no parents with any sense would knowingly let their teenage daughter out of the house in a dress with that much back missing.

“Wait…” Phineas uttered. “You mind telling me your name?”

“Are you gonna tell me yours?” the girl asked, looking over her shoulder. Phineas was careful to pop his eyebrows up at her and offer a half-smile. The girl closed her eyes and breathed out a chuckle. Clearly, she had understood the gesture. “My name’s Estelle.”

Phineas’s eyes widened, his pupils turning to pinpricks.

That’s not possible… “Her?” I wouldn’t have thought she’d be this young.

“Maybe we’ll meet again, hm?” the black-haired girl grinned and turned to leave.

Phineas’s gaze hardened into a smirking glare at the girl’s back.

“Yes, I’m sure we will, Miss ‘Estelle’… I’m sure we will.”

END

Last edited:

Emeraldfan

Nina let out a screech of pain and skidded back a long way but kept her feet, staggering and trying to shake loose the cobwebs.

If you don't mind me asking, how come there suddendly are cobwebs on Nina? They're in front of Nacrene museum/gym, and whilst there may be cobwebs on buildings, to me that doesn't explain why they ended up on Nina after a Take Down... Or is this another figure of speech that I don't know? The only one I could find is to blow/clear cobwebs away, and that is to do something to help you think more clearly...
Cobwebs are actually mentioned twice, so the question is about both case really.

Loved the chapter though, Dalton has to be one of the few characters in Pokémon fanfic who didn't fall for the trick Blake tried to use.

Venastois

Em1-

Another great one my friend. Definitely was not expecting Blake to have a herdier. But I like the way it worked out. Definitely very cool. And "Miss Estelle" seems like she'll be an interesting character to build on. Looking forward to the next chap.

I liked the little ship going on with Bianca and Cheren. I'm excited for the character development that'll take place with them.

And in terms of college, I have one year left. I took a few years off and am now finishing up my degree. What kind of music do you compose? And how's life after college treating you?

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Speaking of Blake's trick, I'm surprised Cheren of all people fell for it. He was watching it the first time. Guess Blake isn't as big a douche as he is a total... oh, what was that word? Crud, I forget. As long as you keep away from his sister and his dream of being Pokemon Champ, I guess he's... abrasive, at best.

So, Nina evolved and the second gym battle is underway. I wonder how that will end up... and just who is that "Estelle" woman? Plus what does Bianca want with Cheren? Don't be too obvious now... ;)

Mystery abounds. I like it.

L@er!

Well then, as I check back on my favorite heroes, I see they're still far from harmonious.

It's so fun to read, this juxtaposition of the canon storyline with an intruder basically rewriting history, and finally we're getting to see a bit more of these canon characters. While I'm loving Bianca particularly so far, the one I can't wait to see is Looker. Also, I can already see Estelle is going to be one of my favorite characters. She just has fierce written all over her.

The most interestingly handled detail to me has been Nina's evolution, or rather, your portraying of evolutions in general through that. The restlessness and feeling almost sick, I imagine that's what any creature would feel like if they were about to have their physiology completely overhauled, but oddly I've not seen it handled that way in any Pokémon-related fiction I've happened upon so far. So big thumbs up on that one.

Again, stoked to see how this all unfolds, and how much trouble Dalton has with Lenora's Watchog. Keep on keepin' on.

P.S. Leave it up to Talia to find a time-displaced, cavalierly Woobat (of all Pokémon). Priceless and adorable.

EonMaster One

saeculum harmonia
Wowsers, look at all these comments! *rubs hands greedily* Time to get to work.

Emeraldfan:

If you don't mind me asking, how come there suddendly are cobwebs on Nina? They're in front of Nacrene museum/gym, and whilst there may be cobwebs on buildings, to me that doesn't explain why they ended up on Nina after a Take Down... Or is this another figure of speech that I don't know? The only one I could find is to blow/clear cobwebs away, and that is to do something to help you think more clearly...
Cobwebs are actually mentioned twice, so the question is about both case really.

Yes, I meant figurative cobwebs. She was a bit disoriented. :)

Loved the chapter though, Dalton has to be one of the few characters in Pokémon fanfic who didn't fall for the trick Blake tried to use.

There are advantages to being a well-educated 17-year-old rookie Trainer as opposed to a (pre-)adolescent rookie trainer without as much education. Therein lies one of the advantages.

Venastois:

Another great one my friend. Definitely was not expecting Blake to have a herdier. But I like the way it worked out. Definitely very cool. And "Miss Estelle" seems like she'll be an interesting character to build on. Looking forward to the next chap.

It was a problem I ran into when I realized that I was going to have both Blake and Whitlea in the story. Including Bianca and Cheren, that's 4 Trainers for three starter Pokemon. However, for the reasons mentioned in the chapter, Blake prefers Macy over any of the starters.

As for Estelle, I have plans for her, of course...

I liked the little ship going on with Bianca and Cheren. I'm excited for the character development that'll take place with them.

I think I'll just let this speak for itself. Saying too much would give too much away.

And in terms of college, I have one year left. I took a few years off and am now finishing up my degree. What kind of music do you compose? And how's life after college treating you?

Okay, cool. Best wishes with all that. As for music... I do mainly alt-rock, but it's pretty much anything I have a taste for writing at the time. I've even dabbled in orchestral score a little bit. As for your last question, I'm working steadily, trying to fit writing music, writing this fic and another, practicing guitar...

I never realized how many different things I enjoyed doing before I started working full-time and now don't have the time to do all of them in the course of a day. It's kind of frustrating, to be honest. I work 4-midnight, so I'm going to try to start waking up earlier to squeeze a little bit more out of my mornings before I have to go off to work. Thankfully, the nature of my job allows me to work on the fic a bit while I'm there. Unfortunately, most of my inspiration seems to come when I don't have my laptop handy. So there you have it. :p

Air Dragon:

Speaking of Blake's trick, I'm surprised Cheren of all people fell for it. He was watching it the first time. Guess Blake isn't as big a douche as he is a total... oh, what was that word? Crud, I forget. As long as you keep away from his sister and his dream of being Pokemon Champ, I guess he's... abrasive, at best.

Blake's got a very absolutist, either-or view on things, which is great if he happens to be on your side, but if he isn't...

So, Nina evolved and the second gym battle is underway. I wonder how that will end up... and just who is that "Estelle" woman? Plus what does Bianca want with Cheren? Don't be too obvious now...

Don't worry. I won't. ;-)

zen_master_dude:

It's so fun to read, this juxtaposition of the canon storyline with an intruder basically rewriting history, and finally we're getting to see a bit more of these canon characters. While I'm loving Bianca particularly so far, the one I can't wait to see is Looker. Also, I can already see Estelle is going to be one of my favorite characters. She just has fierce written all over her.

I can't give too much away, but anyone who understands the basic concept of how time travel works in most fiction will understand that Dalton's presence alone will drastically alter the narrative. Things play out somewhat like the BW storyline, but not exactly. And every 'not exactly' that happens knocks the story just a bit further off course. And Estelle's only the beginning...

EonMaster One

saeculum harmonia
15. Back to Basics​

“This official Unova League match between the challenger, Dalton Gregg from the Johto region, and the Nacrene City Gym Leader Lenora will now begin. Each competitor may use two Pokémon, and there is no time limit. The challenger will be permitted to switch Pokémon at will, while the Gym Leader may not. Are the rules understood?”

“Yeah, sure,” Dalton sighed, sounding bored.

“Let’s get a move on, then,” answered the dark-skinned Nacrene City Gym Leader, Lenora. She upturned the pockets on her yellowish apron, and from them, like Dalton somewhat expected, she pulled out a Pokéball.

Dalton wasn’t sure what had made him do it, but he glanced over toward the sideline, where Talia was seated in a nearby chair. She gave him her trademark, wily, fox-like smile… and the finger. Dalton stifled a laugh, turning back toward Lenora and pulling out a Pokéball, his face now serious.

This is gonna be interesting, he thought.

“A’right then – let’s go, Herdier!” shouted Lenora.

“Oh, for f—” muttered Dalton under his breath as he watched the sphere roll onto the battlefield. He already knew what was coming out… seeing as he’d seen one less than half an hour ago. This Herdier, however, was of a normal coloration – not strange and ‘sparkly’ like Blake’s Herdier, Macy. Its bark was also a bit lower in pitch, indicating (even before Dalton used his PokéDex to make sure) that it was probably male.

“Something the matter, Dalton?” drawled Lenora.

“Nope,” said Dalton. Well, at least there won’t be many surprises… he thought silently. He reared back with one of his Pokéballs. “Lake, c’mon out!”

He aimed the Pokéball into the air. Thankfully the underground Gym battlefield had a high ceiling, for the Pidove that Dalton had captured mere days before emerged already airborne and circling wildly.

“<Zoom zoom zoooooom!>” she chirped, sounding like someone had taken a normal Pidove’s voice and set it to fast-forward.

“Boy, your Pidove’s a peppy one, ain’t it?” asked Lenora.

Dalton took a deep breath. He had fought several Pidove in traveling here, so he knew some of their attacks. Now, all that was left was to remember them…

“Challenger goes first, sweetheart,” Lenora said amiably.

“He knows that already,” piped in Talia from the sideline. “It’s not his first gym match, you know.”

Dalton grimaced and looked over at Talia, who was glaring hellfire and brimstone at the Nacrene Gym Leader, who responded with a dewy, almost smug smile. Also, Sionna was seated on Talia’s knees. Dalton wasn’t entirely sure when she’d gotten there, either. Maybe Talia had let her out when he hadn’t been paying attention…

“Nothing for you to worry about, hon,” Lenora said. “I’m happily married, remember?”

“What’s that supposed to mean!?” cried Talia, sounding even more flustered.

Lenora giggled. “Your move, Dalton.”

Dalton’s mouth twitched.

“Quick Attack, Lake!” he commanded.

“<Finally!>” she squeaked, looking like she’d been ready to burst with anticipation. “<Zoom-zoom-zooooooooooooom~…>”

Stiffening her wings and body, the small Pidove fell into a dive bomb at the Herdier, who growled as he saw the aggressive action.

“<Move over, Herdier!>” drawled Lenora, her intensity of speech only ramping up a little bit. “<Dodge that.>”

Herdier barked in assent as he jumped to the right of Lake’s incoming swoop.

“<Oh, fiddlesticks!>” groaned Lake as she flapped her wings to come to a stop before careening right into the ground. “<What the heck are fiddlesticks, anyway…?>”

“Lake, watch out!!” Dalton yelled in warning – for Herdier had turned and launched itself at the Tiny Pigeon Pokémon.

“<Whoopsie-daisy!>” Lake twittered, flying up and away from Herdier’s attempted Take Down attack. “<You’re gonna have to be quicker than that!!>”

“Alright, time to get serious,” Dalton said, nonetheless smiling at his Pokémon’s antics. “Lake, use Air Cutter!”

Lenora’s and Herdier’s eyes changed to the same ‘uh-oh’ expression instantly.

“Herdier, dodge!” Lenora replied, recovering wonderfully. Herdier jumped backward just as a bluish-white sickle smashed into the ground and exploded in a blast of wind and dust. Lenora and Herdier both tried averting their faces, which gave Dalton an idea…

“Gust, right now – before they recover!!” Dalton yelled.

“<Zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom!!!> exclaimed Lake, flapping her wings as quickly as she could move them. Dalton’s hair ruffled – but the brunt of the wind was in front of him and Lake, bearing down on the Herdier and his trainer. Herdier slid back a few feet, eyes shut tight like Lenora’s to ward off any incoming dust or debris…

All according to plan.

“Now! Quick Attack their flank!” yelled Dalton.

“<ZOOOOOOM-!>” Lake broke into a huge, banking glide, tearing around the small arena and leaving a white streak of light in her wake. Herdier was still trying to clear dust out of his eyes from the last attack. Lenora looked up first –

“Herdier!”

He regained awareness right as Lake made the turn toward him. Dalton smiled; at that speed, it was too late –

Or so he thought.

Bravely – or perhaps a bit foolishly – Herdier opened his maw right as Lake got there and clamped down. The sheer force and speed of Lake’s attack took Herdier with her and they both crashed into the ground spectacularly. In the middle of them skidding and separating, Dalton immediately saw that Lake’s wing was reddening and bent at an awkward angle. Herdier, however, didn’t look much better – severely bruised and extremely fatigued.

“<Oof…>” commented Sionna on the sideline, wincing. “<That’s gonna leave a mark.>”

Lake somehow pushed herself to her short, spindly feet. Herdier gave a weak growl.

“<Crash and burrrrrn…>” chirped Lake morosely. “<Or maybe just ‘crash’…>”

Dalton grimaced, wondering if this would work. “Lake, use Air Cutter!”

With what looked like an almighty effort. Lake flapped her wings twice. A sickle of light burst forth from in front of her once again, rotating and hurtling at Herdier at high speed. This time, the attack found its mark, and Herdier let loose a loud, high yelp as the impact took him skyward. He landed flat on his back and went motionless.

Meanwhile, Lake fluttered unevenly to the ground, wincing and obviously in pain.

Lenora grimaced, folding her arms. Antonio stared at Herdier for several seconds, and then raised the red flag. “Herdier is unable to continue battling! Pidove is the winner!”

“Return!” Lenora shouted, holding out the Pokémon’s ball and calling him back. She smiled. “Well, you’ve got spunk, I’ll give ya that, sweetheart. I guarantee you don’t stand up against this, though…”

She looked up, and her eyes glinted.

~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~​

“Well, she introduced herself as Estelle… although I’m sure Unova has plenty of black-haired girls named Estelle…”

Phineas Assad leaned against the wall just outside the entrance to the Nacrene Museum and Gym, mobile phone to his ear.

“So, sir… do you want me to go after her?”

Finally, the voice on the other end spoke.

“Negative, Special Agent Assad – do not pursue. Secondary to your mission, is that girl.”

“You mean, secondary to our mission,” Phineas answered sourly.

“It is very possible you are mistaken, at any rate,” the other voice answered. “It is as you said – ‘Estelle’ is not a very rare name. Moreover… in addition, all information we have gathered describes our Estelle as a brunette – that is, she has the brown hair as opposed to black.”

“Well, a girl can always dye her hair,” Phineas sighed, thinking his companion should have known this already.

“Dwell not on it for now,” the voice said. “Have you managed to find the one called Dalton Gregg?”

“Oh, yeah… found him, alright,” deadpanned Phineas, rolling his eyes. “Bastard wouldn’t even volunteer to tag along until I told him his little girlfriend could, too. And here’s a fun fact: the girl’s a runaway and the cops are looking for her – at least, they’re supposed to be. Personally, I think the Unova police have better things to do than deal with a sixteen-year-old that wanted to move out on her own a couple of weeks early.”

“Girlfriend, you say?” the voice on the other end said with a chuckle. “Comply with his request, you should. And, Phineas…”

Phineas rolled his eyes again. With the manner of a child that did not want to follow his parents’ instruction, he uttered, “Yes, sir…?”

“I know it is not natural for you – and I terribly regret that,” the voice answered. “But try, you should, to attempt to behave like a normal human being.”

“Yes, I know,” sighed Phineas. “You told me already. Not sticking out will benefit the mission.”

“I mean, for your own good as well,” the voice answered. Phineas took the phone away from his ear for a moment, regarding it as he would something terribly disgusting.

“Special Agent Assad out.” And he ended the call. He looked up from his phone, pocketing it, and saw a brown-haired teenage boy standing there in front of him, a strangely colored Herdier at his ankle. “Can I help you with something, kid?”

“Were you supposed to be blending in just now?” asked Blake, regarding Phineas with a sort of smugness. “If so, you’re doing a really bad –” (except he used an adjective a bit ruder in nature) “—job at it.”

“Hey, I was training for this (same word) job when you were still in grade school,” answered Phineas. “Mind your own damn business.”

“Suits me just fine – and I was homeschooled, just so you know,” Blake answered nonchalantly.

“Huh… explains the complete lack of social graces,” Phineas chuckled.

“Look who’s talking,” Blake bit back.

Phineas shook his head and started past Blake. “Where’s your sister?”

“Get bent,” Blake answered immediately.

“Typical,” spat Phineas. “What that Estelle girl sees in you, I have no idea.”

“Estelle? Who’s Estelle?” Blake asked, looking over his shoulder.

Phineas smiled mirthlessly. “That’s a good question…”

And he started down the road again.

…one I intend to get answered.

~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~​

“Watchog!!” roared Lenora, throwing a second Pokéball into the air. Dalton’s face twitched; he’d never heard of a Watchog before – but whatever it was and whatever it looked like, he was about to find out in a few seconds.

A skinny, long-bodied, rodent-like creature materialized before him, short arms folded across its narrow chest in an effort to look nonchalant. Its cheeks seemed to be overstuffed, swallowing the rest of its face. Its tail was erect and nearly as long as its body was tall. Its eyes, though, were its most striking feature. Dark, beady pupils sat within striped sclera that were arresting and yet a bit frightening all at the same time.

It was mainly because of the eyes that Dalton already had a suspicion what this Pokémon was – or, at least, what it evolved from.

“Watchog, the Lookout Pokémon, and the evolved form of Patrat,” the Amanita-Dex said. (Yup, thought so, thought Dalton) “When they see an enemy, their tails stand high, and they spit the seeds of berries stored in their cheek pouches.”

Dalton watched as Lake struggled to her feet.

“Retaliate,” Lenora said calmly. Watchog shone with a brilliant blue and seemed to slide into slow motion for a split-second…

Dalton winced as Watchog slammed into Lake with an awful, echoing sound of impact. Even before Lake hit the ground at his feet, bruised and with a clearly injured wing, Dalton knew she wouldn’t be getting up.

“Pidove is unable to battle!” Antonio announced after several completely unnecessary seconds. “Watchog is the winner!”

“Oh, really?” uttered Dalton sourly under his breath, returning Lake to her ball. “There’s no way I would’ve known.”

Dalton took a deep breath.

“So, Lenora…”

“What is it, hon?” Lenora asked. “You’re not giving up, are ya?”

“Hell, no,” Dalton replied conversationally. “I want to know something – what did Team Plasma want with the artifact from your museum?”

Lenora raised her eyebrows. “That’s a good question.”

Dalton deflated. “You’ve got nothing.”

Lenora shook her head. “Sorry.”

Dalton sighed heavily, grimacing. “All right, then. Nina, c’mon out!”

He threw the Pokéball in his hand. So accustomed had Dalton become to seeing Nina’s tiny form, that it surprised him anew when Nina emerged easily as a couple of feet tall and much fiercer-looking than her old self. At the same time, though, she seemed calmer, and the constant tension that had accompanied her last few days in her Nidoran form was all but gone. She seemed to appraise herself for a moment… and then she turned her eyes back toward Dalton.

“<I…>” she uttered, blinking very often. “<I’ve… I’ve evolved.>”

“Yeah,” Dalton answered. It seemed like it had taken a few minutes for it to actually hit Nina. She averted her gaze from him, her head down for a moment. For a very long time, she didn’t move.

“<Wait a sec…>” Sionna mewled for a moment. “<Is… is Nina… is she crying?>”

“I dunno,” answered Talia. “I can’t tell from here.”

With a very shuddering breath, Nina raised her head.

“<So be it,>” she said in a cracked whisper not like her usual voice at all. “<This is my path, then.>”

“Nina…” uttered Dalton, a bit unsure as to what was happening.
“<I’m fine,>” Nina replied with conviction – so much conviction, in fact, that Dalton knew she was lying.

He hesitated for a moment.

“<Well, come on!>” Nina exclaimed, now sounding angry. “<There’s no use waiting around!>”

“Right,” Dalton answered, nonetheless eyeing his Nidorina suspiciously. “Nina, attack with Poison Sting!”

Nina’s ears stood erect to their full and considerable height. Darts of light burst forth from them, glowing an ominous violet.

“Tchog?” the Watchog uttered uncertainly.

“Watchog, dodge ‘em!” Lenora shouted in reply.

“Tchog!” squeaked the Normal-type in affirmation, jumping aside as a salvo of purple spines splintered on the ground where he’d been standing moments before.

“Now, counterattack!” Lenora ordered! “Use Crunch!”

In a move that seemed to defy the physics of its own body, Watchog propelled itself forward, opening its maw wider than Dalton thought possible. Its two buck teeth began to glow a bright white before turning a foreboding dark violet color. Nina tried to bound away, but she was not yet used to her new, stronger but heavier Nidorina body, and was thus a beat slow. Dalton winced as Watchog’s buck teeth caught hold of one of Nina’s prominent ears. After a couple of seconds of flailing, Nina managed to shake the biting Pokémon off, cringing and uttering a salvo of vulgarisms best left to the imagination.

“Are you okay?!” exclaimed Dalton.

“<Peachy,>” replied Nina, her voice trembling with an obvious struggle to keep her temper. “<Can I bash his face in now?>”

“Sounds like a plan,” said Dalton. “Nina, use Scratch!”

“Watchog, Detect!” Lenora shouted.

Nina was smart enough not to come straight in. She slid around Watchog in an attempt to attack at his flank. However, as if Watchog had seen the move coming, he leapt away. Nina came up empty-clawed, and Watchog landed behind her, his hypnotic eyes narrowing as he glowed a brilliant blue…

“Huh?” uttered Dalton. “Nina! Watch your back!”

The Poison Pin Pokémon flipped her head around and got a claw into Watchog’s path just as he approached, knocking him off course and saving her the brunt of the damage. She staggered a bit, losing her balance from the force of the opposing attack.

“<It’s too bad for you…>” Nina addressed the Watchog as she attempted to slow her breathing. “<You got me on the worst possible day.>”

“<I hate that Watchog’s eyes…>” Sionna commented on the sideline. “<Cree-py.>”

“I try not to look straight at them,” muttered Talia. “What I want to know is, what the hell Dalton’s waiting for?”

“<What do you mean by that?>” asked Sionna.

“He hasn’t called Nina’s strongest attack yet,” Talia remarked. “I’d say something, but I’m pretty sure that sort of thing isn’t allowed… and plus I don’t want to hear Lenora’s mouth.”

“<You really want him to win, don’tcha?>” Sionna asked, giving Talia a knowing look.

“It’s only because we’re stuck here if he doesn’t,” Talia answered. Rolling her eyes at the thought, she added, “Us and Special Agent ‘Sunshine’… wonder where the hell he got off to, anyway?”

“Watchog, Retaliate!” shouted Lenora from the field.

“Again?” groaned Dalton in annoyance as Watchog began to glow blue once more. “Nina, use Scratch!”

“Again?” muttered Talia in annoyance as Nina raised a claw once more. For the second time, Nina managed to parry Watchog’s strike. This time around, though, her counter was much more effective, knocking the Lookout Pokémon off balance.

“Nina, NOW! Use Double Kick!” Dalton yelled immediately. Lenora had kept up a veneer of stoicism rather well during the battle, but a brief slackening of her jaw betrayed her nervousness. Nina broke into a full run, her larger body allowing her longer strides. She closed the distance quickly and, just as it seemed that she would run out of room, bounded high and rolled over to her back, where she slid a few feet, her back spikes making runs in the arena floor. She thrust her two hind legs out toward the stunned Watchog’s belly…

With an awful sound of impact, Watchog went flying backward. He bounced against the ground, managing to barrel roll from parallel with the ground to his feet in one motion. It was an impressive move, to be sure, but he staggered right afterward, signaling that not much, if anything, was left in the tank.

Nina also looked a bit less than healthy – which wasn’t a surprise to Dalton. She’d fought a battle not long before and, despite the healing potion Dalton had given her, had to be getting fatigued.

“Watchog, use Hypnosis!” Dalton heard Lenora yell.

“Hypnosis?” he repeated, the attack sounding a bit unfamiliar to him. Then, as if a light had turned on in his brain, he suddenly realized the functional purpose of Watchog’s strange-looking sclera… “Nina! Don’t look him in the eyes!”

Two lights shone from Watchog’s beady pupils, looking like headlights at this distance. Nina took off in a run around Watchog to avoid eye contact. Unfortunately, Nina’s run took her right past where Talia was sitting on the sideline.

Sionna pulled up short for a split-second and then collapsed in Talia’s lap almost instantly. A light snore escaped her…

Dalton, of course, didn’t see any of this, as he was concentrating on the battle, looking for an opening.

He got it when Watchog’s ‘headlights’ went out. Lenora saw it immediately as well.

“Watchog, use Hypno—”

Dalton shouted over her. “Nina, use Poison Sting!”

This had the effect desired. Right as Watchog widened his eyes for a second Hypnosis attempt, Nina let loose the poisoned spines. Watchog broke his gaze and raised an arm. The spines caught Watchog in the arm and flank, lodging there in painful-looking fashion. Meanwhile, Nina was charging…

“Now, use Double Kick!” Dalton called confidently.

The attack hit its mark. Watchog hit his back. Out of the corner of his eye, Talia had jumped to her feet for some reason. However, she had forgotten something important…

“<OW!>” moaned Sionna, who was now on the ground. “<What was that for?!>”

Talia’s eyes widened and her mouth rounded into a near perfect “O” as she looked down.

“Watchog…” Antonio hesitated for a moment. “…is unable to battle! Nidorina wins! The winner of the match is the challenger, Dalton Gregg from the Johto region!”

Lenora smiled graciously as she returned her Watchog to his ball. “Well, I guess that’s that. Antonio?”

“Hmm? Yes, ma’am?” the young referee uttered.

Lenora kept her smile, but an impatient twitching in her jaw was now obvious. “The badge, Antonio?”

“…Dammit,” Antonio muttered, blowing by Dalton on his way back upstairs.

“He’s so absentminded, that boy,” commented Lenora as she strode toward the middle of the field. Dalton walked out to meet her. Nina did not follow; she seemed more inclined to curl up in a corner and lie down. “You’ll be alright if Antonio presents you with the badge, right? I’ve gotta run to the Pokémon Center and get back here before more challengers show up.”

“That’s alright,” said Dalton, shaking Lenora’s hand.

“You be safe, now,” Lenora answered. With a glance toward an approaching Talia and another one of her dewy, knowing smiles, she added, “You two take care of each other.”

And with that, she strode off just as Talia arrived. She was smiling, but didn’t seem to know what to say.

“Well, that went better than the first time,” Dalton commented.

“You’re a fast learner,” remarked Talia.

“Fast enough, at any rate,” Dalton responded. “It’s a good thing Nina had all that extra power from evolving. I would’ve been screwed otherwise.”

It was then that Dalton realized that Nina was not standing next to him and reveling in their victory. In fact, she seemed subdued… almost sullen.

“She’s probably tired,” Talia remarked as she saw Dalton’s eyes stray to where Nina was lying. “Let’s take everyone to the Center and go get something to eat while we wait for Agent Muscles to catch up with us again? If we’re still dragging him along… we could just leave, you know.”

Dalton grimaced. “Nina and Lake are gonna need time to rest, probably…”

“So… lunch, then?” Talia asked, tilting her head and upper body hopefully. Dalton smiled.

“Why not?”

~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~​

A Pidove, cooing brightly, zoomed into the small park area and took her perch in a tree, where a Woobat slumbered on quietly.

Nina, meanwhile, stood over the pond, staring at her Nidorina reflection in the rippling water. She felt the desire to shed tears manifest in a choked sensation in her throat… but there was no use in that. What was done was done. It was just as well. She was part of what was obviously – at least in her estimation – a special mission. She would be fortunate just to survive it, and to do so, she would need all the power that she could muster.

An orange, fox-like face swam into the reflection of the water.

“<Hey…>” Sionna’s voice, devoid of its normal bubbly nature, sounded at Nina’s left…

“<…Hey,>” the Nidorina repeated a bit lethargically.

“<Um… maybe I’m missing something here, but…>” Sionna went on uncertainly. “<You wanted a fight so badly, and you got one. You won it. So why are you so… down?>”

Nina’s red eyes closed. “<I’m not gonna tell you.>”

“<What?>” Even Sionna’s six tails seemed to droop in disappointment. “<Why not? I thought we were friends.>”

Nina felt her face grow hot. “<You’re gonna laugh at me.>”

“<I promise I’ll…>” Sionna started, but then she paused. “<…try not to laugh.>”

Nina sighed. “<When I was really, really little… I wanted a baby brother or sister. A lot of other families in the forest had three, four, eight kids. I think I was the only only child I knew.>”

“<Eight?>” repeated Sionna in astonishment. “<Somebody had a lot of free time…>”

Nina couldn’t help but crack a smile at Sionna’s joke. It quickly disappeared, though, as she continued her story. “<That’s when my mom took me aside and said it’d probably never happen.>”

Sionna tilted her head. “<Why not?>”

Nina took a deep breath, but she couldn’t stop her red eyes filling with tears. “<Because she was a Nidorina by then.>”

“<What’s that got to do with anything?>” asked Sionna.

“<It’s… a strange genetic quirk of my species. You’d think the reverse would happen, but…>” Nina said haltingly. “<Once a female Nidoran evolves, she… we… I… lose the ability to carry eggs. Nidorina can’t have children.>”

Sionna seemed to be struck dumb by this news for a moment. “<Ah, I… wow. I never knew that.>”

“<Hardly anyone does,>” sighed Nina heavily.

Sionna asked what she thought was the most sensible question at the time: “<Did you really want to have kids that badly?>”

“<Not now,>” Nina answered. “<But… you’ve never thought about it? Having a family?>”

“<Well…>” Sionna stammered. She was going a bit red – not that anyone could tell. “<I guess I’ve thought about it… way, way, way down the road, if Tali ever let me.>”

“<I don’t have it to look forward to anymore,>” Nina said. “<Now that I’m a Nidorina, it won’t ever happen.>”

She smiled bitterly.

“<It just keeps getting worse and worse, doesn’t it?>” she mused. “<Piece by piece, my life’s being taken away from me.>”

Sionna frowned.

“<Aniki says that we’re going after the one responsible,>” Nina went on. “<I don’t know what his plans are, but if we ever find the ones who did this to us… I’m going to tear their throats out with my own claws.>”

Sionna watched blankly. “<Nina…>”

“<Human… Pokémon… doesn’t matter,>” Nina said, shuddering with rage and the effort of attempting to keep herself composed. “<We’re going to destroy all of them. And I hope, somehow… I hope I’m a Nidoqueen when that happens.>”

Sionna grimaced.

“<Too far to turn back now, right? Might as well go all the way,>” she said, staring at her reflection in the pond. “<The more power I can bring to bear, the better.>”

Sionna gulped for a moment. “<I don’t think you’re thinking straight…>”

“<You’re wrong,>” sighed Nina. “<I’m thinking perfectly straight. Isn’t that the reason I’m here? Because aniki needs power.>”

“<You think so?>” asked Sionna. “<I think you’re here… I think we’re all here… because he’s lonely.>”

“<It’s nice that you and your human are friends…>” Nina replied. “<Some of us aren’t exactly arm-cradle-sized anymore…>”

And, at that, she gave a great hiccup.

“<…And that’s the worst part, isn’t it?>” she said, turning her head away from Sionna and trembling with an obvious effort to stem the flow of tears. “<…I’ll never be held that way again for as long as I live. Ever.>”

And Sionna, realizing she could do nothing more to ease Nina’s pain at this moment, nuzzled the Nidorina lightly and then stalked away…

~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~​

Dalton pored over the rectangular emblem for a few moments… then he slipped it into one of the lower pockets of his cargo shorts. Talia (midway through sipping a soda) frowned disapprovingly.

“Y’know, we need to get you a badge case,” she said. “You’re gonna lose one for sure if you keep storing them in your pants pockets. And, for that matter, what if you lose the pants?”

“Sure… give the universe more ideas on how to screw me,” snarked Dalton, smirking wryly. Talia didn’t laugh.

“For somebody that just won a big gym battle…” she remarked. “You don’t seem very happy.”

Dalton grimaced. “Did Nina seem upset about something to you?”

“Success is weird sometimes,” Talia replied. “You’re supposed to feel good about it, but sometimes when you’ve worked hard toward something and then you’ve gotten it, you don’t know what to do next. Which reminds me…”

Talia took a deep breath.

“Dalton, what if…” she seemed hesitant. “If… you know, all of it works the way you plan it?”

Dalton tilted his head.

“I mean,” she tried to explain, “You want to have the power to defeat Ghetsis – and you want to do it as Unova’s Champion, right?”

Dalton, arms folded, nodded somberly. “That’s the plan.”

“If you’re Unova’s Champion, and then you beat Ghetsis… then what?” she asked.

“You know ‘what’,” replied Dalton in mild annoyance. “We’ve already talked about it. I search for a way to go back home.”

“Do you really want to go back home?” asked Talia. “What happens here, then? You’d still be League Champion.”

“Well, I guess Unova would have to pick a new League Champion,” Dalton said simply.

“That’s not how it works,” Talia replied quickly, her face now serious. “The Champion defends his title until somebody beats him… but that’s beside the point. I guess… I guess I don’t understand why the hell you’d want to go home.”

Dalton frowned. “…Because it’s home, I guess.”

Talia had a quick reply ready. “But what if it isn’t?”

This question was sort of like a sucker punch to Dalton’s brain. He went dumb for a moment, his face contorting in confusion.

“I’m not going to pretend I understand time travel even a little bit,” Talia said slowly. “But… if you change things so that Ghetsis doesn’t win here… that means one of two things happens, right? Either nothing changes at all – and do you really want to go back to that? – or… everything changes and nothing’s going to be the way you left it.”

“Yeah, and maybe my parents don’t hate me,” Dalton answered. “And maybe Kallen’s still alive.”

“Maybe your parents and Kallen don’t exist at all,” Talia replied. “Maybe you don’t exist at all. That’s what I’m saying. If Ghetsis is the person you say he is… and he ends up doing what you said he does… then removing him from the picture changes the whole world’s history. Maybe everything Ghetsis did, as bad as you say it was, had something to do with how your parents met. Or your grandparents, or your great-grandparents, even. You said it’s, what, about a century and a half? That’s a lot to think about.”

Dalton stayed silent for a moment as he let all of this information wash over him. “Look… I know one thing if I don’t know anything else. Ghetsis is right here, right now… getting ready to f—k s—t up.”

Talia raised her eyebrows. Dalton swore about as much as you’d expect for a seventeen-year-old with his level of world-weariness, but he’d usually leave at least a couple of words of space between each one. Finally, looking disappointed indeed, she looked down at the table.

“I don’t know how I should feel, really,” she confessed, not meeting Dalton’s eyes. “I mean… I guess this version of you is way better than the one I found curled up in the fetal position in front of a tree… naked and crying his eyes out like a new baby, too…”

Dalton grimaced. His arrival into Unova hadn’t been one of his more glorious moments – that was for sure.

“This new you… this guy that’s so focused on one goal…” she went on. “I don’t know… he worries me. I feel like he’s going to… forget how to be a human being. You know what they say about the guy that fights monsters…”

Dalton nodded heavily. “Yeah, I do… that’s why you’re here.”

Talia looked up. Her blue eyes narrowed. It was only then that Dalton realized what he said. He looked away from her in disgust at himself. “I mean… God, that sounded horrible… like I’m using you or something, it’s just…”

He sighed, kneading the bridge of his nose.

“Have I ever told you about Evan?” asked Dalton.

“I know he’s a friend of yours,” Talia answered. “I mean, he was the first person you called for after I found you…”

“Evan Stanfeld…” Dalton sat back in his chair. “He was… is… will be… damn, I don’t even really know anymore. He’s everything I’m not – fun-loving, skate punk, metalhead… actually has a sense of humor.”

Talia smiled weakly. “You don’t think you have a sense of humor?”

“I’ve got snarky, jaded cynicism,” Dalton deadpanned. “There’s a difference. Anyway… he didn’t even know it half the time, but he was the guy that kept me down on planet Earth. I think I would’ve turned into some sort of machine, otherwise… or worse.”

Talia swallowed hard, her expression unreadable for a moment.

“Damn, really? How long are you guys gonna drag this out before you just kiss already?”

Talia’s face tightened into a blushing scowl that somehow made her look much younger than she was. Dalton, meanwhile, looked up. “Where the hell were you?”

“That’s classified information, buddy,” said Phineas Assad as he approached, his well-muscled arms folded across his chest. “But it’s nice of you to be so concerned.”

“Trust me, I wasn’t,” Dalton replied flatly. “I was asking to see if you could go back.”

“Didn’t your mother ever tell you it’s rude to interrupt?” asked Talia.

“Wouldn’t know – never really had one,” replied Phineas very quickly, almost as if he wanted this to be the only time he ever mentioned it.

“Is this the part where someone’s supposed to start playing the violin?” Dalton snarked.

“Thanks, but no thanks,” Phineas answered. “Pity’s only for the weak.”

Dalton glared at the young agent as the latter pilfered a chair from one of the other empty tables. There was just something he didn’t like about Phineas Assad. Maybe it was that he took it for granted that he’d get his way. Maybe it was because his overall bearing reminded Dalton of the jocks that used to give him no end of grief in high school.

As it was, though, he and Talia were doing Phineas a favor… or so Phineas thought. As far as Dalton was concerned, this would be a victory if he was the one to leave a bit more knowledgeable about Team Plasma’s tactics than he was now.

In short, Dalton was going to turn the tables.

“So,” Phineas said, sitting on his new chair backwards in a way that reminded Dalton of someone else – only far less attractive. “…When do we begin?”

END​

Last edited:

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Hmm... so Blake has no idea who Estelle is either... the subplot thickens. :p

And it's nice to see Dalton and Thalia reach an... understanding in their relationship. Dalton needs support, Thalia flips the bird. Everybody laughs. Adding Assad to this mix could prove for quite the chemical balance. Or imbalance, whichever you prefer.

And now Dalton's won his second badge the group now prepare to leave Nacrene. Odd bird this time is Nina. First she wants to cream everything in her path into paste. She evolves, and then she gets mopey. Aside the fact that she was considering babies already, given the Nidorina species' infertility factoid, I guess that way of thinking could be acceptable. Just goes to show... women and girls aren't quite easy to please, are they?

How the heck did Travis and Crescent do it?

Well, wrapping up here. Good to have a good read to read... :D

Keep 'em coming.

L@er!

I have to admit: I wasn't aware of the infertility aspect of Nidorina and Nidoqueen's biology from the games. It was cleverly woven in and used to develop Nina's character: I guess she's realized there's no turning back now, and for better or worse, her life is now paired with Dalton's. It's great character development, for a Pokémon no less, and I hope we get to see more of that with others - particularly Nina's best friend (?) Sionna...

This time around, I do have a flaw I need to point out. The clever avoidance of using swear words was fun for a while, but now, it's getting tiring. At least to me, for some reason, it completely snaps me out of the narrative. It's somewhat choppy and feels unnatural, especially since it's used several times a chapter. While they don't look visually pleasing, a s--t or a f--k don't break immersion nearly as much. Of course, that is just my personal opinion.

Oh, and the battle between Dalton and Lenora was exceptionally well-written.

EonMaster One

saeculum harmonia
And it's been about two weeks, so you know what time it is...

Air Dragon:

And it's nice to see Dalton and Thalia reach an... understanding in their relationship. Dalton needs support, Thalia flips the bird. Everybody laughs. Adding Assad to this mix could prove for quite the chemical balance. Or imbalance, whichever you prefer.

And now Dalton's won his second badge the group now prepare to leave Nacrene. Odd bird this time is Nina. First she wants to cream everything in her path into paste. She evolves, and then she gets mopey. Aside the fact that she was considering babies already, given the Nidorina species' infertility factoid, I guess that way of thinking could be acceptable. Just goes to show... women and girls aren't quite easy to please, are they?

How the heck did Travis and Crescent do it?

zen_master_dude:

I have to admit: I wasn't aware of the infertility aspect of Nidorina and Nidoqueen's biology from the games. It was cleverly woven in and used to develop Nina's character: I guess she's realized there's no turning back now, and for better or worse, her life is now paired with Dalton's. It's great character development, for a Pokémon no less, and I hope we get to see more of that with others - particularly Nina's best friend (?) Sionna...

I suppose most fanfic readers (read: guys) wouldn't understand this, but some of the saddest stories I've ever heard are of women who want to have children (which is most of them) but for some biological reason can't. Now, I get that some women, particularly here in America, choose other things (careers, for example) over having a family, and that doesn't make them any better or worse than the ones that don't, but in many cultures (ancient and even some modern) the biological ability to carry and birth children is an honor to a woman, and women that are unable to do so are often looked on with a special type of pity. Some cultures (ancient Middle East, for example) believe(d) that women that could not bear children were cursed by (the) God(s). Add that to the fact that Nina was an only child to begin with... which means that her family line is going to end with her and she will leave nothing behind for the world upon passing on... well, maybe in light of that, you can understand why this realization is a bit hard to swallow for Nina.

(For the record, I think this is a stupid bug and I don't know why the hell GameFreak doesn't change it. I guess it doesn't matter much anymore because the Nidos aren't featured very often?)

Last edited: