• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The (almost) Awesome Sandstorm Team!

Rezzo

Occasionally
Recently, I have been testing a few Pokes to put together into a sandstorm team, and this is what I have come up with so far.

Preview:

dpmfa468.png
dpmfa376.png
dpmfa036.png
dpmfa395.png
dpmfa480.png
dpmfa450.png

Generally, my team is quite successful, but I think it has much more potential. So I want to know if you have any ideas or suggestions. Now, lets look at my team.

dpmfb468.png

Togekiss @ choice scarf
Serene Grace
6 HP/252 SP.ATK/252 SPE Modest
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Shadow Ball
-Flamethrower

This is my Togekiss lead. To be honest, I'm not very happy with it, as it doesn't OHKO Azelf or Metagross 100% of the time, making it quite a weak anti-lead. However, it can come in late game and cause an upset or two, which is always helpful. I am heavily considering swapping this for Gliscor, because it can assist against Machamp and Heracross much easier.

dpmfb376.png

Metagross @ life orb
14 HP/252 ATK/244 SPE Adamant/Jolly (need help with this)
-Meteor Mash
-Thunderpunch
-Earthquake
-Explosion

My good old trusted powerhouse. Anything the rest of my team can't handle, Metagross can take care of the dirty work. Nothing special about this moveset: cover as much typing as possible, hit hard, explode when done.
The only struggle I have with this Metagross is deciding if it should be Jolly or Adamant. Any help here would be appreciated.

dpmfb036.png

Clefable @ leftovers
Magic Guard
252 HP/6 SP.ATK/252 SP.DEF Calm
-Softboiled
-Thunder Wave
-Seismic Toss
-Ice Beam

You might look and think "Why is this guy using Clefable Instead of Blissey?", and you go ahead and think that. But without Rapid Spin support and almost 100% chance of a sandstorm occuring in the battle, this beast of a Pokemon can cause massive problems for my opponent if I take out their Lucario/Machamp beforehand. It can also Paralyse any Lucario/Infernape confident enough to think it has an easy switch in. Seismic Toss is preferred over Ice beam as an attack, but Ice Beam does keep those pesty dragons at bay. It will take a lot of convincing to make me remove Clefable from my team.

dpmfb395.png

Empoleon @ leftovers
HP 92/ATK 252/ SP.DEF 166 Brave
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Jet
-Drill Peck
-Hidden Power (electric)/Earthquake

Empoleon is key to my team, but he rarely gets to show off. Basically, switch in on something unable to counter it (such as Kingdra), Set up a Swords Dance on the switch, and cause some damage. HP Electric is to get a suprise on Gyarados and sometimes Skarmory. Earthquake could also be used in place of HP to get a harder hit on Heatran and company, but it is generally not as useful as HP. I have tried using other sets with this Empoleon, but not much is very useful compared to this. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

dpmfb480.png

Uxie @ leftovers
240 HP/28 DEF/218 SP.ATK/16 SP.DEF/8 SPE Bold
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Energy Ball
-Thunderbolt

This is my physical wall, and is quite nasty to other psysical walls that want a stall war. Energy Ball gets rid of Swampert, Thunderbolt for my greatest fear; Gyarados, and Psychic to hit Infernape, Machamp, and everything else hard. If i'm lucky, I can sneak in a Calm Mind or two. Not too much to say here, except Uxie does its job very well.

dpmfb450.png

Hippowdon @ leftovers
252 HP/ 18 ATK/ 120 DEF/120 SP.DEF
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic
-Earthquake
-Slack Off

And heres what my team is built around. Hippowdon walls so many things, it's unbelievable. The main objective is to set up some stealth rocks, and poison some stuff so it can't live. Earthquake and Slack Off to waste the time down and chip some lucky damage. I might think about using Protect instead of Earthquake. But for this team, i don't really think that is too necessary.

Conclusion:
Thanks for taking the time to look at my team :) If you notice anything substantial that i missed, please let me know.
Looking at my team, my main concerns are Togekiss and Empoleon. Any suggestions for different moves, Pokemon, or EV spreads and items are all appreciated. And if you want to be harsh go ahead, that is why my team is here.

Oh, one more thing. I won't be changing my team until I state that I am, so keep it based on what you think and not what others have already posted, unless you would like to add to what someone else has said.

Last edited:

Shining Latios

Use Adamant on Metagross and on Clefable, instead of Ice Beam go with Fire Blast. And on Togekiss replace Shadow Ball with Nasty Plot.

Shucklez

Shuckle and Smeargle
I think your lead should be SS Involved, Hippopotas, and Ice Fang instead of Toxic for better coverage.

~ Shucklez...

Shucklez

Shuckle and Smeargle
Its not a stall team, anyone can switch in and kill it :/

Ditto_93

Wooper = Win
I'd Put a Ttar on there maybe to assist with setting up another SS and just being handy in a sandstorm with the Sp. Def Boost. The Set you use could be anything really, A DDer maybe?

If your unhappy with your lead and want an anit lead i would use Machamp:

@Lum Berry
-Substitute
-Encore
-Dynamic Punch
-Stone Edge/payback
No Guard
Adamant
252 HP/160 Atk/ 86 Sp. Def

Basically encore SR or wahtever or Substitute on Sleep moves etc, then Dynamic punch away! *6 Sp. Def to survive Azelf's Psychic then you can OHKO it with Payback, works against most common leads. Ripped straight from smogon but works beautifly

:)

Rezzo

Occasionally
I'd Put a Ttar on there maybe to assist with setting up another SS and just being handy in a sandstorm with the Sp. Def Boost. The Set you use could be anything really, A DDer maybe?

If your unhappy with your lead and want an anit lead i would use Machamp:

@Lum Berry
-Substitute
-Encore
-Dynamic Punch
-Stone Edge/payback
No Guard
Adamant
252 HP/160 Atk/ 86 Sp. Def

Basically encore SR or wahtever or Substitute on Sleep moves etc, then Dynamic punch away! *6 Sp. Def to survive Azelf's Psychic then you can OHKO it with Payback, works against most common leads. Ripped straight from smogon but works beautifly

:)

I have tried a Tyranitar lead before, but not properly, so I will try again, but I'm not a big fan of DDtar, I prefer to use SubTar. But I will give it a go nevertheless.

That Machamp also happens to look fantastic too, so I will be giving him a shot when I re-test my team.

Rezzo

Occasionally
Its not a stall team, anyone can switch in and kill it :/

It is a stall team... I would (with great pleasure) like to see you OHKO a Hippowdon without setting up or getting revenge killed on the next turn.

Same goes for Uxie. That thing is a beast used in the right hands, and I think Uxie has a great chance in OU.

If you want to post something, try and work with me, not against me... :(

Shucklez

Shuckle and Smeargle
grass knot. But okay, i guess ur team's perfect then :). And ur pokemon aren't very stall like, add in more defence.

clone1

Aesthetics brahz
I think your togekiss should become a trick lead:
Togekiss @ choice scarf
Serene Grace
Modest
6 HP/252 SP.ATK/252
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Trick
-Flamethrower

I have this set and it works fine for me

fishyfool

And a nice chianti
Well, LeadKiss wants Trick over Shadow Ball, and Fire Blast over Flamethrower. In competitive pokemon, power > efficiency. Trick screws over Bronzong leads, and use Air Slash more, that 60% flinch means you beat slower leads out 60% of the time.

Metagross wants more physical oomph, play Adamant.

If you drop Ice Beam and run Cosmic Power, Clefable becomes a horror to destroy. I know, been on the receiving end of one.

Play a SubPetaya set with Empoleon, he's awesome.

Uxie don't need no special attack. Play more defense with Uxie and Calm Mind to override that special attack flaw.

Hippo is fine.

Rezzo

Occasionally
Well, LeadKiss wants Trick over Shadow Ball, and Fire Blast over Flamethrower. In competitive pokemon, power > efficiency. Trick screws over Bronzong leads, and use Air Slash more, that 60% flinch means you beat slower leads out 60% of the time.

Metagross wants more physical oomph, play Adamant.

If you drop Ice Beam and run Cosmic Power, Clefable becomes a horror to destroy. I know, been on the receiving end of one.

Play a SubPetaya set with Empoleon, he's awesome.

Uxie don't need no special attack. Play more defense with Uxie and Calm Mind to override that special attack flaw.

Hippo is fine.

Ah, I wasn't aware of Togekiss learning Fire Blast, and I agree that will help more. As for Trick, I will also put that on.

Metagross is now Adamant. :)

Changing Ice Beam to Cosmic Power on Clefable does sound very tempting, but I already rely quite a bit on hax, and one critical hit would be the end of Clefable. So on that note, I think I will stick with Ice Beam for the better type coverage.

I agree SubPetaya Agili-Poleon is fantastic, but once Blissey has come in, I've lost. Thats why I would prefer to run a physical set instead. It also gets in the odd suprise.

I suppose those few IVs on Uxie could go into Defences, that wouldn't hurt.

kiltank

Kiltank
because you posted on my RMT and im cool like this...

prob want to update the OP so noobs who dont read rates give you something up-to-date on the changes you already made.

now, given im not the best at pokemon and dont know when a team is "mixape weak" or something, i think this team is good. you have no rock pokes to gain spD from sandstorm, but whatever. the only thing i see is that, as stated earlier, clefable will benefit greatly from cosmic power. and, as stated before, it should replace ice beam because 100 dmg is good for each turn, easily 3-4 HKOing most pokes. you'll be surprised how many hits you will take with 2 cosmic pwrs added. just saying.

edit: then move those 6 spA to def

Rezzo

Occasionally
because you posted on my RMT and im cool like this...

prob want to update the OP so noobs who dont read rates give you something up-to-date on the changes you already made.

now, given im not the best at pokemon and dont know when a team is "mixape weak" or something, i think this team is good. you have no rock pokes to gain spD from sandstorm, but whatever. the only thing i see is that, as stated earlier, clefable will benefit greatly from cosmic power. and, as stated before, it should replace ice beam because 100 dmg is good for each turn, easily 3-4 HKOing most pokes. you'll be surprised how many hits you will take with 2 cosmic pwrs added. just saying.

edit: then move those 6 spA to def

Thanks Kiltank for the advice, the reason that I haven't changed anything yet is because I haven't tested these ideas you lot have all provided. Again, as I said before I would prefer to not use cosmic power because dragons such as Salamence get an easy switch in and can either critical hit me, out DDance me and sweep my whole team, or just Brick Break me for example. Stat moves that raise your defences (except for Reflect and Light Screen) are not my favourite. In fact, come to mention that, I might replace Ice Beam with a support move of the sort. Preferably Light screen, it being a Special Wall.

About those "noobs" well, any advice is appreciated, even if it has no relevance to my post. I would rather sum up my advice and pick out the best options from them, so keep the posts coming related to my base team.