• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Altar of the Sunne! Solgaleo Descends!! (995)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Team Rocket's appearance in this episode was nothing more than a waste of time. The writers even set up the classic Team Rocket scheme, with them about to attempt to kidnap Nebby (I would have loved to see the Tapus' reactions to that), but then Bewear had to interrupt them and spend the rest of the episode nearly suffocating them so they wouldn't interfere.

Aside from that, I enjoyed this episode. It dragged on a little bit, especially in the first half, but I just view this episode as the calm before the storm—a moment to breathe before things get serious in the next episode. I really liked the Tapus' role in this episode—from aiding in Cosmoem's evolution into Solgaleo, to upgrading Ash's Z-Ring so he can use Solganium-Z.

Also, can we just talk about how bad*** Professor Kukui is? A shame his students didn't get to see his Braviary essentially wipe out the Jangmo-o and Hakamo-o with a single Brave Bird.

Lillie got the most emotional part with Solgaleo, It felt kind of shoehorned, as though though the writers suddenly remembered her game self's bond with it.
I actually liked that scene, because Lillie asked if she could touch Solgaleo, and then when she did, she commented on how warm it was, like the sun. I thought that was a nice touch. Besides, her moment with Solgaleo was (appropriately) overshadowed by Ash's moment with Solgaleo, so I think that made up for it.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Oddly, Bewear stopping TRio from interfering was probably one of my favorite parts of this episode. Everything else we already knew was coming so the shock factor wasn't there for me, but I did not expect Bewear to actually stop them like that, showing he has an idea of what's going on possibly.

Other than that, there were cute tapu scenes, and the one kukui scene I liked. The rest felt a dragged on as already pointed out numerous times.

Is it true that Ash gets given the Z-Power Ring because the Solganium Z doesn't fit in his regular ring? Also, I'm confused based on what I've read about the episode. Is it Kukui that gives Ash the Z-Power Ring and Solganium Z?

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Is it true that Ash gets given the Z-Power Ring because the Solganium Z doesn't fit in his regular ring? Also, I'm confused based on what I've read about the episode. Is it Kukui that gives Ash the Z-Power Ring and Solganium Z?
The Solganium-Z floats down from the sky. The Solganium-Z doesn't fit into Ash's Z-Ring (it's the wrong shape), so the Tapus take his Z-Ring and, through a rather fun-looking ritual, transform/upgrade it to the Z-Power Ring. Professor Kukui is not involved in this at all; in fact, he's not even present during this event. He is busy protecting Professor Burnet and her Munchlax from angry dragons.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy

No, the Solganium Z 'mysteriously' appears floating from nowhere, then Ash tries to attach it to his old Z Crystal, and realises that it doesn't fit. Seeing that, Tapu Koko takes out his Z Ring, and together all the Tapus do some funky moves and transform his Z Ring into the Z Power Ring.

SceptileTheBanana

DRAGON TAIL!
First off, the music in this episode was PHENOMENAL. From Kukui rescuing Burnet to Ash and Lillie's "moment" with Solgaleo to playing the credit theme while Ash did the Z-Move, the music was fantastic all the way through.

The flashbacks to Nebby as a Cosmog definitely would have been more emotional had they not shoehorned it's entire arc into 7 episodes and not a whole series, like they were acting that it was, but it was very well done nonetheless.

And to the people complaining that Lillie got the more emotional scene with Solgaleo, yes, Ash acted as the primary caretaker, but from the perspective of the series as a whole, it makes sense that it was Lillie. Nebby was the reason Lillie was teleported to Gladion and Type: Null, and it also teleported her and Ash around to places from her childhood, which ultimately led to her being able to touch Pokemon again - a problem that was present the whole series. It was an extremely powerful scene between Lillie and Solgaleo because it finally came full circle: Lillie going from not being able to touch Pokemon at all to hugging a Legendary Pokemon, the very same Pokemon that helped her overcome her fear at that. I loved it. Not to mention they wanted to have their callback picture to the games but from a story perspective it's still great.

13_luckynumber

What did Fini and Lele do to Nebby? Were they healing it?

Also, the Tapu Z-ring upgrading ritual is about the cutest thing ever in Pokemon

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
And to the people complaining that Lillie got the more emotional scene with Solgaleo, yes, Ash acted as the primary caretaker, but from the perspective of the series as a whole, it makes sense that it was Lillie. Nebby was the reason Lillie was teleported to Gladion and Type: Null, and it also teleported her and Ash around to places from her childhood, which ultimately led to her being able to touch Pokemon again - a problem that was present the whole series. It was an extremely powerful scene between Lillie and Solgaleo because it finally came full circle: Lillie going from not being able to touch Pokemon at all to hugging a Legendary Pokemon, the very same Pokemon that helped her overcome her fear at that. I loved it. Not to mention they wanted to have their callback picture to the games but from a story perspective it's still great.

Thank you for posting this. Couldn't have said it better myself. Lillie was the second person that Nebby interacted the most and had a huge role in helping her remember what happened in the past and finally surpass her phobia yet the scene was shoehorned or underserved because Lillie wasn't the primary caretaker lol

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato
That scene between Lillie and Solgaleo was such a nice touch. Not as emotional as the one in the game but it was so nice of the writers to add it in the anime.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I highly dislike it when characters I hate/don't like own my favorite Pokemon..... he shouldn't even own any Pokemon. I hope it doesn't rot in a ball like poor Luxray at least.

Anyways, the Dragon Trial can still technically happen whenever Ash gets to the Poni Trials. So not clear if he'll do the Fairy or Dragon yet.
Don't like how the TRio just got left behind though, but at least there was a reason for the z-power ring rather than Ash just getting handed the upgrade.

DatsRight

The flashbacks to Nebby as a Cosmog definitely would have been more emotional had they not shoehorned it's entire arc into 7 episodes and not a whole series, like they were acting that it was, but it was very well done nonetheless.

Sadly true. I can even buy into Lillie's bonding scene relatively because even Ash got swindled in screen time with Nebby anyway.

Okay episode, and about the one time in this whole arc they took things nice and slow.

I admit TR felt shoehorned into this episode, they weren't shadowing the twerps on this adventure at any point so being here seems random other than for them to find out "Petit-Dogas" is in fact not (leads me to further think this arc was meant to last an episode or two more). Bewear actually deliberately threatening them to keep at bay leads me to suspect it is knowingly sabotaging their schemes, either as their personal 'officer' and disciplinarian or simply because it can predict all the times they are in over their head (TR targeting all five twerps + Gladion + four legendaries equals almost certain righteous onslaught). It still felt a bit pointless to drag them all the way to this scene though, they could have at least gone in too and we'd finally have their first SM enemy mine.

I suppose Ash getting another hand-out had at least pragmatic reasoning here. I'm still hoping we get more reasoning to why he's 'the chosen one' by the Tapus though.

Loved Nebby having a moment of suggesting it was past silly Pokemon antics....and then scoffs Ash's candy and licks him. I'll give credit to this series, two naturally caused evolutions and FIVE legendaries all with quirky personalities, a better track record than usual.

And we see Kukui battle at last, would love if his Braivary was allowed in on the school antics from now on. And we begin the Kukui/Burnet pairing.

Minor details:

* Togedamaru cowering beside her sempai Pikachu.
* Kiawe 'blasts off' in Alola awe.
* Gladion almost loses his edgy mystique twice over against legendary awesomeness.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Hmm, I really wonder after this episode whether Kukui will be just like the game, the Champion of Alola whom Ash will have to finally face for the Champion title? I honestly won't rule it out TBH, he looked to be a powerful trainer.

Last edited:
The Solganium-Z floats down from the sky. The Solganium-Z doesn't fit into Ash's Z-Ring (it's the wrong shape), so the Tapus take his Z-Ring and, through a rather fun-looking ritual, transform/upgrade it to the Z-Power Ring. Professor Kukui is not involved in this at all; in fact, he's not even present during this event. He is busy protecting Professor Burnet and her Munchlax from angry dragons.

No, the Solganium Z 'mysteriously' appears floating from nowhere, then Ash tries to attach it to his old Z Crystal, and realises that it doesn't fit. Seeing that, Tapu Koko takes out his Z Ring, and together all the Tapus do some funky moves and transform his Z Ring into the Z Power Ring.

Thank you both for answering! I'm glad it was the Tapu that did it, and with Kukui having Braviary I'm even more excited to watch this episode. It's interesting to know that the Tapu can upgrade the Z Ring....

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Cool episode. Definitely didn't need Team Rocket in this episode, but I understand why they're included (for comedic reasons).

Liked the the little flashback and telling of the story, about Nebby and how Ash came to find it. Seeing Kukui jump in, call out his Pokemon and battle, to help Burnet was one of the highlights for me in this episode, by far. I've been looking forward to seeing if Kukui will actually do some battling in the anime, for awhile now. The evolution was really good, and see Solgaleo interact with Lillie, Ash, and everyone sitting atop was nice too. I also liked the little Tapu ritual, when Ash received his Z-Power ring and crystal. Like Satomine Night and someone else said, it's the calm before the storm, and seeing them going into Ultra Space with Kukui and Burnet left behind, is a good transition/setup for next weeks' episode (I really liked how this episode ended).

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
So Ash gets Solganium-Z.......OK if he catches Solgaleo I hope he keeps it and stays with him I also hope that he keeps it why? Because I want to see something different with this anime, they've been shaking up the status quo I want them to keep it up give me a reason to even consider watching this show again.

I don't want another Goodra or Ash-Greninja (you know were he gets a powerhouse but then has to get rid of it for one reason or another) I would much rather have Solgaleo go over to Professor Oaks because at least then he can call upon it whenever he wants, and before you say anything the fans will complain no matter what you do so it doesn't matter, I want to see Ultra change like what they were trying to do/did do with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

knightwolf09

Many things to take from this episode.

The evolution ritual was a pretty unique way to go at it.

Team Rocket did absolutely nothing....good.

Kukui's partner pokemon turned out to be Braviary. I would've thought it've been Lycanroc or one of the starters. Also I'm also really loving the anime's approach to Kukui and Burnette's relationship. Actually building up their romance instead of having it already established.

Solgaleo is just one big kitty. I like it when such a majestic yet menacing pokemon ends up acting adorably.

Also, I wonder anybody the Ultra Recon Squad music in this episode.

So how many special things does Ash now currently have in this anime? Let's tally up. A z-ring from one of the Tapus themselves, a new Lycanroc form nobody's seen before, technically Cosmog, Solgalium Z, a z-power ring which seems to be the only one to exist currently, and soon Pikashium Z. Man special main character treatment is really hitting Ash this series.

We're already at the Motherbeast point. What's going to happen after now. There's are still plenty of trials and potentially the league. Is that all we're going to get after this?

Nice build up episode. Shame it's guaranteed Ash will not keep Nebby.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Great episode! It was a bit funny that James convinced his friends that Nebby evolved into Koffing. :p:p He didn't have to suffer being the buttmonkey though. :(

I loved how all Tapus helped Cosmoen to evolve and how they upgraded Ash's Z Ring. A great move on Bewear's art of stopping TR from capturing Nebby, I'm happy that they didn't interrupt an important scene and were stopped for once. The whole touching moments where Ash and Lillie touched heads with Solgaleo was bittersweet and Lillie calmed down her older brother for trying to rush things.

Prof Kukui was so cool rescuing his lady Burnet!! It's too bad they were too late in going through the Ultra Wormhole. Ash, along with the help of his friends, commanding Solgaleo to use its Z Move was awesome. Again, great episode!! It even included a Mallow-Lillie moment. :)

Last edited:

SONW

In this episode we had a more classic appearance of TRIO. They would even try to capture Nebby (if it was not the bewear). I admit that I laughed at some parts.

The scene between Ash and Solgaleo was very emotional for me, and the scene with Lillie did not mess up at all. Yes, the relationship between the two is not like in the games, but the anime Nebby was vitally important to Lillie's development. merited.

Xuxuba

Thank you for posting this. Couldn't have said it better myself. Lillie was the second person that Nebby interacted the most and had a huge role in helping her remember what happened in the past and finally surpass her phobia yet the scene was shoehorned or underserved because Lillie wasn't the primary caretaker lol

Not really. She basically had just as much interaction with Nebby as the other classmates did and way less interaction with it than Ash, the only difference being that the name she chose for Cosmog was the one the kids liked the the most. Yet, she is not only the first one to interact with it but also the one who got the most emotional moment with it.

Had they followed the games' plot i wouldn't give two s*** over them neglecting his bond with Ash, but this is not the case. Ash was basically Nebby's parents throughout this entire arc. Despite that, he remained stoic most of the time, at least in these past episodes, barely showing any reaction even though his baby pokemon was basically in coma.
Yes he seemed a bit happy when Cosmog evolved but a bit is not enough, especially after building up their relationship, not to mention that SM Ash is supposed to be quite expressive and be emotional/happy over the simplest things.

Now if you are talking about Nebby being important to Lillie's arc, that is true. However a character being important to someone's arc isn't the same as said character sharing a strong bond with that someone. Just because Nebby's teleport ability indirectly helped her remember what happened in the past doesn't mean that they ever shared a really strong bond. Did they had some moments where they had cute interactions? Yes a few of them. But they were far from enough to justify calling this a strong bond or bringing such an intimate scene between game!Lillie and game!Nebby to the show as if their anime versions ever shared a similar bond to their game versions (which didn't happen AT ALL).

Last edited:

xEryChan

Demon Child
I watched this weeks episode and I really enjoyed it. It did start out rather slow and extremely boring in the first half but in the second half, it got so good.

Kukui is freaking bad***, that is all I have to say. When he swooped in on Braviary to save Professor Burnet and KO’d all of the Jangmo-o and Hakamo-o with one attack, my mouth dropped to the floor. I am definitely looking forward to the ending of the series when Ash is at the Pokemon League. I am seriously hoping that if he makes it to the finals, he has to face off against Kukui. That would be epic.

Those scenes right after Nebby evolved into Solgaleo, I loved them so much, especially the scenes with Lillie and Solgaleo and Ash and Solgaleo. I couldn’t stop smiling.

Team Rocket served no purpose in this episode. They were nothing but nuisances and their presence was not required as I’m sure nothing would have changed. I can’t help but wonder why the writers insist on bringing them back each episode. Like no, they are so annoying and I want them to just leave already.

Off they go through the Ultra Wormhole.

So all in all, this was a good episode. I give it a 7/10. The beginning of the episode was really slow so that kind of took away from it and Team Rocket also took away from it as well. But Kukui totally redeemed it in my eyes after he helped out Professor Burnet, besides, you know Solgaleo appearing. But still, Kukui stole the show.

Can’t wait to see next week’s episode. That preview looked insane.