• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Altar of the Sunne! Solgaleo Descends!! (995)

Rohanator

Well SM also adds comedic moments even in serious moments, so the Team Rocket part just added unwanted comedy in the episode. Like Ash-Solgaleo moment clearly had comedy jammed into it.

Besides, what's the need of comedy in such a serous episode of the Aether arc leading to the climax?
So you'd rather Solgaleo just be a boring stoic legendary as usual? Having it show affection to Ash and co is a way of showing that it's still the Nebby they know and makes us the audience still like it. That is in no way "jammed in comedy".

This may be a more serious arc but that doesn't mean it has to be completely serious, think about most adventure movies out there (especially ones aimed at kids), they maintain a tone that doesn't take itself too seriously and only get fully serious when there's an emotional demand for it. Something like, I dunno, The incredibles, where they're fighting for their lives but there's still time for jokes. Looks like next episode is going that route, and that's the way it should be, this is still Pokemon, it's silly no matter how serious you try to make it seem. Only when we focus on Lillie and Gladion confronting their possessed mother should we get into super serious mode.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Besides, what's the need of comedy in such a serous episode of the Aether arc leading to the climax?

A comedy-focused show is still going to have comedy, even in the more serious episodes. This is not a new concept.

May I remind you that even the episode where Stoutland died had tiny bits of comedy.

It's the usual "calm before the storm" situation. Giving us, the viewers, a bit of leeway before hell breaks loose.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
So all the terrains combine into a rainbow, and the Tapus somehow open a projector. Uh ok, so they show how Nebby was born and how it reached Ash.

Well, Gladion's edginess is getting annoying now. He snapped at the Tapus. I would've loved seeing Tapu Koko fry him at that moment.

Also, damn you stupid TRio. Still thinking it's a petite Koffing. They were so bloody pointless. And even the Bewear gag is getting super dull now. Also, Wtf lol, Kukui just wrecked the Jangmo-o family with a brave bird.

And finally, the Tapu ritual is done. Solgaleo finally appears. And Rotom, please shut up.

Lillie got the most emotional part with Solgaleo, It felt kind of shoehorned, as though though the writers suddenly remembered her game self's bond with it.

Yeah, this episode was really boring imo. The whole sequence would've probably taken only 7 min, and the writers decided to drag this episode to fit a whole 20 min. And my goodness, TRio got the most screentime and were extremely obnoxious in this episode. Everything just felt dragged. I give the episode a 5.5/10. Too much unnecessary TRio, and the episode was just bland.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Well its almost certain that near the end of the SM Saga, both of them would get married, and in a way that would be used as a reason for Ash to leave Alola and return to Kanto.

Yeah, probably so. But the important part is that we got to see Kukui using a Pokemon, which indicates that he might be a really strong trainer like the games whom the challenger have to face the champion title!

A comedy-focused show is still going to have comedy, even in the more serious episodes. This is not a new concept.

May I remind you that even the episode where Stoutland died had tiny bits of comedy.

It's the usual "calm before the storm" situation. Giving us, the viewers, a bit of leeway before hell breaks loose.
By what logic is Pokemon a comedy show?

andrewscott48209

Well SM also adds comedic moments even in serious moments, so the Team Rocket part just added unwanted comedy in the episode. Like Ash-Solgaleo moment clearly had comedy jammed into it.

I think they felt that they lost a lot of people near the end of the XY&Z season because of a lack of comedy, what with the Kalos league and the Team Flare arc, and thus thought to add some comedy to even things out, though it's just my opinion, and I may be wrong.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Seriously, Lillie's bond with Nebby isn't shoehorned in. She comes to Solgaleo the first because it is her mother that they are trying to rescue. This entire ordeal is closest to her heart. She is the one that wants to save her mother, the rest is there to help Lillie.

Anyway, sometimes it almost feels like haters are going to be haters no matter what. Then the pacing of the arc is way too fast, then an episode is dragging again when it slows down slightly or when there is like 3 minutes of Team Rocket filler in there.

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

I'll need to watch the episode but I have seen screenshots and did anyone else think Ash looked completely chill at the end while they rode through the hole? Sure he was a little worried but he looked kinda like he was thinking, "Ok let's get this long day over with."

andrewscott48209

Seriously, Lillie's bond with Nebby isn't shoehorned in. She comes to Solgaleo the first because it is her mother that they are trying to rescue. This entire ordeal is closest to her heart. She is the one that wants to save her mother, the rest is there to help Lillie.

Anyway, sometimes it almost feels like haters are going to be haters no matter what. Then the pacing of the arc is way too fast, then an episode is dragging again when it slows down slightly or when there is like 3 minutes of Team Rocket filler in there.

To be honest, I think this episode was two parts recap, and one part buildup. I think it was meant to start out slow, and end up with them entering the warp hole.

Rajas

First half of the episode was a bit meh but not the worst by a long shot. I'm a bit confused by Solgaleo and Lunala creating Nebby because the Tapus leave with Nebby but Solgaleo is still wherever it was with Lunala (I assume US). When it evolves does the Solgaleo disappear from the US and reappear in place of Nebby or something or was it just a piece of Solgaleo there? Cool that Kukui showed us his Braviary when saving his waifu, they'd have some alone time being left behind an all now XD, it makes me believe Kukui will battle Ash at some point by the end of the series which would be cool. Makes sense now why Ash gets the new Z Ring, only to use Solgaleo's Z Move. TRio felt unnecessary imo other than them seeing something for the sake of it.
Bewear feels important to me for some reason to the point where I could see us getting an episode dedicated to its backstory in the future.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I only want to know two things.

1. why was Kiawe reacting like that after Solgaleo evolved?

2. it looked like Gladion was asking them for something, what was it.

andrewscott48209

2. it looked like Gladion was asking them for something, what was it.

I think Gladion was being impatient and was asking how much longer it will take, judging by the tension between him and Tapu Koko.

Rohanator

He was moved, like when he witnessed the Dugtrio concert and rode on Rapidash. They just made the visual even more ridiculous to show just how moved he is this time. :p

nuzamaki90

The overall episode was alright and I found the TR bits, while unnecessary, amusing nonetheless. I don’t like how they left Kukui, Burnet, and TR but brought the classmates along for some reason.

I also really liked and didn’t like at the same time the scene with Lillie hugging Solgaleo. It was a nice callback to the game’s credits, but Lillie’s interactions with Nebby this whole arc has been all but lacking. Initially I thought her and Ash were going to have a parental bond but other than teleporting her to Gladion, her interactions haven’t been anymore significant than the classmates. If Ash didn’t get his moment right after I would’ve been pissed lol

Rohanator

I don’t like how they left Kukui, Burnet, and TR but brought the classmates along for some reason.
I understand not wanting them there but I'm confused by your confusion over it, like they ARE the main cast of this series, makes sense that they'd be there and fight together, especially since there's gonna be team work focused action and all.

"Leave it to the kids while adult supporting characters get left behind" is a classic trope anyway.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'd argue Kukui is also part of the main cast, although I'll have to admit he is a supporting character. They don't really have Kukui-focused episodes after all, his job is primarily to support the kids at the pokémon school. I guess I'm primarily bummed about the kids leaving him behind without even acknowledging it. I mean, his relationship with the kids is stronger than mere teacher-student, at least in my viewpoint.

Ultra Beast Lover

Yeah I mean Kukui's the dad Ash never had...well the second dad he never had (looking at you Looker). I just hope that when they get back Kukui is shown being incredibly worried and like, "You should've waited for me, that was really dangerous!"

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Okay, I get that the Guardian Deities showing up at the end of last week's episode, and them heading off into Ultra Space this episode both made for good cliffhangers and so it makes sense that they'd pace the episodes so they ended there... But this episode kinda dragged. You could pretty much cut the entire first half and lose nothing, and while things picked up in the second half, it was still slower than it needed to be. But hey, at least we got some nice moments with Solgaleo, including a straight-up recreation of the final image from Sun.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I personally liked the scene where the Tapus changed Ash's Z Ring into a Power Ring. It showed off each of the guardian pokémon while the music and their chanting helped make it feel like an ancient and traditional ritual.

Also I can't help but find it funny that Bewear basically told Team Rocket not to interfere with the Tapus and that they should just shut up and watch.