• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Altar of the Sunne! Solgaleo Descends!! (995)

Evanibble

I don't see a problem with this episode "dragging out" like it did. It was meant as a build-up, and that's it. I don't really know what else they could have shoved into this episode if it was meant to finish with them going into the Ultra Wormhole. The Team Rocket stuff seemed unnecessary but I still found it funny.

The Lillie-Solgaleo moment was really well done, too, as was the scene at the end where Tapu Koko is teaching Ash how to use Solganium-Z. Overall I found it to be a good episode. Really excited for the rest of this arc.

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
This episode taught me that the Z power ring's difference from the regular Z Ring is the notches so I'm happy about that at least. It's cute that there's a lore related reason for why the USUM introduced Z-Crystals wouldn't actually work in Sun and Moon.

Apart from that, it was mostly story related stuff with a little bit of humor thrown in there. A bit slow but it was mostly just build up. When I saw Solgaleo's Tongue though. It's like everything in the world just stopped making sense. It's like, you never really think about that kinda stuff for pokemon *....* especially with legendary pokemon who are built up with at least some level of mysticism so when I saw it literally lick Ash like any old animal....... it's not really any less legendary to me, it's just akward. IDK. Good episode none the less though. 7 / 10

SONW

We still do not have an answer as to why Ash is the chosen one (and I do not expect that to be resolved, many more mature animes do not respond properly, that's not a problem).
But for me it became clear why tapu koko was interested in Ash at the beginning of the series, he wanted to see if he was worthy of taking care of Cosmog.
Like everything in SM, things do not just happen, they have motive and consequences. We are at the end of the arc, but in my view we are also at the end of an anime phase, the whole first part was, in a way, built up to that point.

Red Tiger 12

Wandering Trainer
Okay so this is the first time I'm gonna complain about TR being in the episode.

They seriously did not need to be in this episode whatsoever. I mean, I get that Bewear took them away as to not disturb the deities' ritual and all (heck, it even punished them for trying! All hail Bewear!) plus with the obvious fact that TR were insanely outmatched against them (for obvious reasons). But take that away and they just served absolutely nothing except to just drag this episode to make sure it reached the duration of this episode itself which in my opinion they could have used more in Kukui's battle against the Ally Pokemon and rescue of Burnet. I would have loved to see him in action more than just him ordering his Braviary with one attack.

I will agree with everyone else. The BGM of this episode was outstanding! I especially loved the tracks where Kukui goes to Burnet's rescue and the gang riding on Solgaleo. Does anybody know the track names for them? If not, then it's okay nonetheless :) I was just curious.

But moving on, the scenes I will mention as being my favorite the most during this episode were Ash and Lillie's moment with Nebby/Solgaleo. Already people had mentioned it. As I had continued to feel since Nebby's debut in the anime, I felt that parental-like vibe the two had on it. Especially Ash considering that he's been the one to take care of Nebby the most and I'm sure as heck that he treats the little star cloud as if it was his own from the beginning (hence his protective length on Faba two episodes ago). It was touching, I love how when Ash offered it with the konpeito it loves so much, rather then take them it just licked Ash instead which showed just how much Nebby is fond of him more than the snack it loves. Nice touch there.

Although I do have a problem with the whole flashback thing. If Nebby had been around longer for, say, like 10 or more episodes (in my honest opinion), then I guess I'll say I felt a lot more emotion in there. But I'll just leave it as it is now since it happened.

Edit: Did anybody notice the other slots for other Z-Crystals on Ash's Z-Power Ring?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
We still do not have an answer as to why Ash is the chosen one (and I do not expect that to be resolved, many more mature animes do not respond properly, that's not a problem).
But for me it became clear why tapu koko was interested in Ash at the beginning of the series, he wanted to see if he was worthy of taking care of Cosmog.
Like everything in SM, things do not just happen, they have motive and consequences. We are at the end of the arc, but in my view we are also at the end of an anime phase, the whole first part was, in a way, built up to that point.
If that were the case, then I kind of wish that they introduced Nebby earlier in the series. Everyone may have complained that it wasn't doing anything or how the writers weren't really advancing the plot, but putting it in the earlier episodes could've made Nebby feel more like a part of the group and it would've have made its potential goodbye more dramatic and heart-breaking. Plus, if it was featured in a few "fillers," it could've bonded with the rest of the school cast (kind of like a class pet) and helped them develop during the series similar to how Nebby helped Lillie overcome her fear of touching pokémon

Last edited:

SinnohEevee

6.5/10

Someone's mother is kidnapped by an alien monster and the episode is wasting time and acting slow?

Also, it seems as if Kukui and Burmet came for nothing as they missed going into Ultra Space. What can they do from the normal world?

And the TRio's appearance was pointless. Also, why were they angry at James for thinking it's an Alolan Koffing, it's a freaking Legendary!

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was excited when I found out that the Rocket-dan would show up here, but in the end they seemed somewhat redundant since Kiteruguma stopped them from achieving anything. I liked seeing Kapu-Rehire and Kapu-Bulul however, and Solgaleo ended up being bigger than I was expecting. I was pleased that Kukui-hakase used his Wargle, too.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
The fact that the Tapu are the reason that Nebby evolves in the first place makes me incredibly happy.

The games hype them up a lot, but when you realize it, outside of giving you (and later Hapu) the Sparkling Stone for your Z-Ring and fighting the UBs off-screen, the tapu are pretty irrelevant. Here, them replacing the Sun and Moon Flutes gives them purpose and use outside of being the obligatory post-game Legendaries to catch?

Edit: Did anybody notice the other slots for other Z-Crystals on Ash's Z-Power Ring?

You mean the slots that have been there since he got his first Z-Ring? The ones that literally serve no other purpose other than to store other Z-Crystals? The ones he never even uses?

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Well, that was a fun episode. Team Rocket's part in it was really kind of just a big question mark for me. Maybe it was to show that Bewear somehow realizes what the deal is with Nebby and was attempting to protect it? Dunno. Don't really care. The recreation of SM's ending with Lillie and Solgaleo was very cute, and it was nice to see it keep its Nebby tendencies (and licking Ash). Even the Tapus seemed overly-cute with their (literal) song-and-dance routines. And did anyone else catch the Ultra Recon Squad's theme during the first bit of dancing shenanigans? Why that track out of all of them? Does this mean we're getting the URS and Necrozma after all?

Rajas

So I'm not sure if I'm the only one confused by this, when Solgaleo and Lunala made Nebby, what exactly happened there? Someone told me that they were mating and Nebby was the offspring... Is that what happened in that scene? Also I noticed after whatever that was and Nebby was made and went away with the Tapus, Solgaleo and Lunala were still there so are there two Solgaleos now? Or was Nebby sort of a vessel to summon one through the portal at the altar of Sunne? I am genuinely confused by this :/

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
So I'm not sure if I'm the only one confused by this, when Solgaleo and Lunala made Nebby, what exactly happened there? Someone told me that they were mating and Nebby was the offspring... Is that what happened in that scene? Also I noticed after whatever that was and Nebby was made and went away with the Tapus, Solgaleo and Lunala were still there so are there two Solgaleos now? Or was Nebby sort of a vessel to summon one through the portal at the altar of Sunne? I am genuinely confused by this :/

if you slow it down really slow, there's a glimpse where Lunala is on the back of Solgaleo and you can see them attached to each other... i'm obvs kidding, I'm sure they just release a material, and it swirls into disk, then to ball, and then heats up and creates a little nebby, similar to how solar systems are assumed to be formed. They could easily just have a build up that needs to be released, but they could probably do it whenever they need to.

hottom3rd

pretty good episode. professor brings a lesson in pain to the little dragon fighters. LOL

bewear making team rocket stay put was a good touch.

Nebbygetinthebag

An ok Episode through Team Rocket appearance was unnecessary but Kukui was a badass in this episode and the evolution of Nebby to Solgaleo was fantastic also the Lillie-Solgaleo moment was well done, Overall This episode was ok through the beginning of this episode was slow,I give it a 7/10.

Last edited:

SONW

I need to say that I found this episode very beautiful:
The soundtrack; the moments of interaction between the group; Kukui and Burnet, the scene between Lillie and Solgaleo; the beautiful moment between Ash and Solgaleo (and those flashbacks) and finally the scene that brings the first encounter between Tapu koko and Ash (with Tapu teaching the z-move)

In fact, the moment between Ash and Solgaleo was one of the most exciting of the season! It has nothing to do with games, but with what was built inside the series itself.

If that were the case, then I kind of wish that they introduced Nebby earlier in the series. Everyone may have complained that it wasn't doing anything or how the writers weren't really advancing the plot, but putting it in the earlier episodes could've made Nebby feel more like a part of the group and it would've have made its potential goodbye more dramatic and heart-breaking. Plus, if it was featured in a few "fillers," it could've bonded with the rest of the school cast (kind of like a class pet) and helped them develop during the series similar to how Nebby helped Lillie overcome her fear of touching pokémon

If that were the case

What you said sounds like nothing like that happened. Just did not do the same with the zygard of the previous series (which I think is great, since he did not have there so many moments with the group). I'm not exactly criticizing, but I appreciate that there was not something like a song to "close" the thing. (Just like puni-chan).
I just thought it was bad even though there was no "farewell" from Nebby in the form of a cosmog.

Sorry, but what you said does not really invalidate what I said.

Last edited:

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
While it was cool to have so many rare pokemon in one place and I guess pacing can help build suspense, this episode felt a little slow in my book. The evolution was almost the only thing that happened.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
As I said in the dub title thread, I'm very frustrated because the episode aired at 8:30 not 9 this morning, meaning when I woke up, it had ended. I'll have to catch the afternoon re-air. Frustrated :mad:

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Now time for the first episode of UA's regular once-a-week airing schedule.

Good game accuracy by having a Braviary be part of Professor Kukui's party. But man, other than that, the Z-Ring upgrade, and the evolution proper, this was literally "sitting and talking= the episode." Ergo, it was mostly really boring. "The Tattoo Quartet." Man, what a way to blaspheme the Tapus, TR. Speaking of whom, that animation edit that removed Wobbuffet's spirit from the hug shot has no effect whatsoever on the episode. Plus, as it's an edit on the animation proper, OLM did it in preparation for overseas airing.

Any cue having to do with the Tapus was mysterious and gorgeous. And that mysterious and heroic cue that played when Nebby became Solgaleo is now the current best cue of UA, with the Ultra Wormhole opening cue being second, and the Z-Ring Upgrade cue being third-best. I love dub cues best when they're created just for a certain scene. I just wish a new dub cue could've ended the episode instead of having to rely on some random meaningless maintained JP XY track.

I know this was a calm-before-the-storm episode, but they could've made it more worth sitting through.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Wow, Lillie even replaces the narrator even when she's not physically writing in an actual diary.

Well its almost certain that near the end of the SM Saga, both of them would get married, and in a way that would be used as a reason for Ash to leave Alola and return to Kanto.

or maybe it will happen in SM055 at the end of this month, presumably in the first episode post-arc, since it's titled "The Professors' New Adventure!"

Again, great episode!! It even included a Mallow-Lillie moment. :)

Gotta love Mallow Lillie moments <3

Now time for the first episode of UA's regular once-a-week airing schedule.

I'd rather call it an irregular airing schedule if they're going to play some episodes at 8:30 and others at 9 :mad:
Plus, as it's an edit on the animation proper, OLM did it in preparation for overseas airing.

Why did they do it?
Any cue having to do with the Tapus was mysterious and gorgeous. And that mysterious and heroic cue that played when Nebby became Solgaleo is now the current best cue of UA, with the Ultra Wormhole opening cue being second, and the Z-Ring Upgrade cue being third-best. I love dub cues best when they're created just for a certain scene. I just wish a new dub cue could've ended the episode instead of having to rely on some random meaningless maintained JP XY track.

Actually, I really liked that track at the end, it really felt like an epic way for them to enter the Ultra Wormhole.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
And I'm sure that the arrangement of the main credits theme and "Solgaleo/Lunala Appears" will be cut from the next one too
...Did I not call it? Did I not freaking call it? I mean, who cares if Solgaleo's entrance was practically a shot-for-shot recreation of that scene from the game, clearly there is no point whatsoever in keeping the Japanese music which was also the exact same tune that played during the game's scene. Nope, let's just throw it out the window and put something completely unrelated in just like with every other new piece of music that has ever been made for the Sun & Moon anime. I mean, I'm not the least bit surprised at this point, but... seriously.

Oh yeah, and the credits theme also being missing... I'm somewhat less bothered by that as I didn't really think the arrangement for that was all that good, (or more specifically, the lack of the choir chanting made it feel incomplete) but it still adds to my theory that TPCI has just decided to throw out literally every single piece of music that they haven't already used in a previous episode.