• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The American Justice System: Is it Fair?

Is The System Fair?

• HELL NO!

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Yeah! America is Perfect!

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
This Thread is about the American Justice/Court system.
I Believe that it is unfair and unjust. 2 years ago, My Grandfather, an 84 year old man, beat an intruder to death after trying to hold him at gunpoint. My Grandfather got life in prison. AN 84 YEAR OLD MAN! IN PRISON! He died in 2 months, but it really was sucked that he died imprisoned.
The courts can easily be bribed, or a good lawyer can pretty much win any case. Did you see the OJ trial? Yeah. That's a perfect example.
There are too many corrupt people in the system, and criminals on the higher-ups can get away with sh*t VERY easily.
What do you think of the Court System?

Last edited:

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
The American justice system is one of the most advanced in the world. We've come a long way from the barbarian tactics that other countries have used (and still use) In some countries, you have no right to a lawyer or even a trial. Under oppressive regimes, you could be killed on a whim. however, it is not a perfect system. And I think the way you set up the polling options is very ignorant and biased. I understand that what happened to your grandfather was horrible, but one case cannot be the basis for judging an entire system. We have degrees of intent for murder, so that if you accidentally kill someone, you aren't executed swiftly. Plus you can't just be detained for indefinite amounts of time without first being determined guilty. It is unfortunate that criminals do slip through the cracks and don't get their just punishment. While on the other hand innocent people get thrown and prison and killed for doing nothing wrong. I would never advocate that the American system flawless. And I'm not denigrating any other country's justice system. But I honestly believe that this is one of the best systems we have.

Perhaps you're just blowing off steam right now. I remember over a year ago when the police were being total bums and almost refusing to help me remove a trespasser. I could generalize all police men and all municipal police forces as being lazy and unhelpful. But that's not the case. So, I hope that in the future, you won't construct your polls as to be so emotionally charged. A poll should aim to have a fair set of options so as to not tilt towards one side of the spectrum or make it appear like your demonizing another side.

Last edited:

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
I wish I could only get two months in prison for beating someone to death.

I mean... he was an old guy... He wasen't gonna last... and plus, it was in self-defense. I don't think an 84 year old war veteran wouldn't react, or even be able to react, with the intention to kill without good reason.

Last edited:

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
No, it's not a perfect system. But a perfect system is impossible to create without perfect people. And if you had perfect people, a justice system would not even be necessary. So we can try to get as close to fair and perfect as we can, but it is a goal that flawed humans are incapable of reaching.

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
A PERFECT SYSTEM?! WTF?! Its far from perfect and I could say the same about Canada. Changes that need to happen-
1. If you murder, you should be put to life in prison/execution. Of course, this doesn't apply to self-defense.
2. Kids should be charged the same way they charge adults-i know for a fact that my 5 year old brother knows its wrong to murder so unless he's smarter than a teenager, the justice system is MESSED UP! Who the f*ck cares if a person was 12, 34 or 65 when they murdered someone?! THEY COMMITED A CRIME AND SHOULD BE PUNISHED!!!
3. Women should be charged the same way as men. They say women are weaker-THAT DOES NOT GIVE THEM THE RIGHT TO COMMIT A CRIME! An example would be Casey Anthony,-she clearly murdered her daughter. If a man did that, he would probably be in jail by now or even executed.
4. Instead of "searching for evidence to back it up" they should arrest suspects. A good example of this would be the Vancouver riot. I live in the Vancouver area and I know for a FACT that no serious charges have been made. They caught thousands of people on camera, so why wait and "find evidence" when there's clearly enough. And to think that the police promised "swift action in prosecuting the rioters".

Not gonna list anymore the justice system is broken.

randomspot555

Generally, our system works for the best. Most of the time when people "get off", it's because county or federal prosecutors who want to be "tough on crime" slap on too many charges, or charges that are too heavy and aren't supported by the evidence that is presented.

1. If you murder, you should be put to life in prison/execution.

Of course, "murder" is very. very hard to prove. And there's a difference between hitting someone with your car and the victim dies, and purposely going out to kill someone. Even though they both end in a dead body, they are vastly different intents and aggravating circumstances, and thus, criminal charges and punsihment should be appropriate based on the circumstances.

2. Kids should be charged the same way they charge adults-i know for a fact that my 5 year old brother knows its wrong to murder so unless he's smarter than a teenager, the justice system is MESSED UP! Who the f*ck cares if a person was 12, 34 or 65 when they murdered someone?! THEY COMMITED A CRIME AND SHOULD BE PUNISHED!!!

A 5 year old might be able to say "murder is wrong" but they probably don't grasp the concept. It'd be very, very hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a five year old purposely and with great malice went out and intentionally killed someone. 99.995% of 5 year olds out there don't have that type of mental capacity to make that decision.

3. Women should be charged the same way as men. They say women are weaker-THAT DOES NOT GIVE THEM THE RIGHT TO COMMIT A CRIME! An example would be Casey Anthony,-she clearly murdered her daughter. If a man did that, he would probably be in jail by now or even executed.

She actually clearly did not murder her daughter. The prosecution had no motive and no evidence that Casey actually murdered her daughter. Again, murder. Pre-meditated, purposeful, intentional murder. And to add to that, the prosecutor tried for the death pentalty, meaning you need iron clad proof. The prosecution did not have iron clad proof. In fact, they had very, very little in the way of actual evidence.

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
Generally, our system works for the best. Most of the time when people "get off", it's because county or federal prosecutors who want to be "tough on crime" slap on too many charges, or charges that are too heavy and aren't supported by the evidence that is presented.

Of course, "murder" is very. very hard to prove. And there's a difference between hitting someone with your car and the victim dies, and purposely going out to kill someone. Even though they both end in a dead body, they are vastly different intents and aggravating circumstances, and thus, criminal charges and punsihment should be appropriate based on the circumstances.

A 5 year old might be able to say "murder is wrong" but they probably don't grasp the concept. It'd be very, very hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a five year old purposely and with great malice went out and intentionally killed someone. 99.995% of 5 year olds out there don't have that type of mental capacity to make that decision.

She actually clearly did not murder her daughter. The prosecution had no motive and no evidence that Casey actually murdered her daughter. Again, murder. Pre-meditated, purposeful, intentional murder. And to add to that, the prosecutor tried for the death pentalty, meaning you need iron clad proof. The prosecution did not have iron clad proof. In fact, they had very, very little in the way of actual evidence.

1st of all, I was reffering to non-accidental murders I didn't mean you should punish someone for accidentaly killing someone. Also, my point was that they say that teenagers" don't know how to make desisions" when they do. I know this because I am 11 and I know that murder is completely wrong and I would have no thought whatsoever of doing it. About Casey Anthony-fair enough but I'm not convinced that our justice system is good or even close to good.

Last edited:

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
When you were talking about a 5 year old. That would be completely unfair. Most children don't start understand abstract concepts until they're around 7 at least. So I don't think a 5 year old should be punished for such an act. That would be disgusting if a court were to do such a thing.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
How many people here truly understand the concept of "innocent until proven guilty?"

The justice system is based on the idea that having an innocent man die is worse than letting a killer go. Just because someone accused someone isn't enough. It needs to be proven "beyond a reasonable doubt." We let OJ, Michael Jackson, and Casey Anthony go because the prosecution could not convince the jury into thinking that there was no chance they are innocent.

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
My mistake, that's not what I meant.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
It is not a perfect system, as shown by the trial of Casey Anthony, but it isn't that bad. I'm sure there are ways to fix some things, and the system will probably be edited in the future.

randomspot555

It is not a perfect system, as shown by the trial of Casey Anthony, but it isn't that bad. I'm sure there are ways to fix some things, and the system will probably be edited in the future.

Why was the Casey Anthony trial an example of it not being perfect? The woman was charged with the intentional murder of her own child and, if convicted, would be put on death row. The prosecution had no evidence, really none, that tied Anthony to the murder. They couldn't prove a motive, an intent, or even say how Anthony killed Casey. And because our legal system is built on "innocent until proven guilty", the prosecution lost.

This is actually a case of why the system is so great. The prosecutor, wanting to look awesome for the cameras and TOUGH ON CRIME, goes head first into a death penalty case with no actual hard proof, only has circumstantial evidence, and surprise, the woman is found not guilty.

Danny1221

The systems are flawed and to be honest I thin, at least in the UK, punishments aren't harsh enough. People will commit crime if they are not bothered about a few months in prison.

Many people will disagree with me but its my opinion.

MegSuicune251

Pokemon's #1 Fan
I think it is unfair. There are celebrities out there that get shorter and less harsh sentences than average people and sometimes they commit worse crimes! And dont get me started about innocent people who get the death penalty...

unstopable373

it has it flaws, but I prefer it over being arrested just because your walking on the wrong side of the street or get stones thrown at you just because a little bit of skin is showing.

Celebrities get away with stuff because they have money, money=power and they can get away with stuff. I'm just happy their not all OJ Simpsons.

randomspot555

I think it is unfair. There are celebrities out there that get shorter and less harsh sentences than average people and sometimes they commit worse crimes! And dont get me started about innocent people who get the death penalty...

This much is true, but celebrities are treated like kings everywhere, not just the US.

America Fair? Casey Anthony gets away?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Why was the verdict in the Anthony trial wrong? When the prosecutor for a death penalty case presents only circumstantial evidence and absolutely no hard proof (forensics, motive, an actual murder weapon or method), then Anthony's "not guilty" verdict was the correct verdict.

Do you advocate for something besides "innocent until proven guilty"? Do you think Anthony just should've been stoned to death on a public street?