• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Ancient Poké Ball (006)

Psajdak

I have a feeling that we will be often "reminded" that Friede is Pokemon professor.

It's incredible how much (not) wearing a lab coat makes a difference.

Trey pokes

I still forget Friede even is one cuz he's too much like a certain other battle-driven character, that I'm like yeah, you're a professor right?

ShuckFam

I have a feeling that we will be often "reminded" that Friede is Pokemon professor.

It's incredible how much (not) wearing a lab coat makes a difference.
This feeling you're getting...Is it a bad feeling?

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
But I think it's a bit sad.
You can see right away that "Horizons" is not as popular as the "old saga"
either that or no one has anything to complain about for it

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Give it a year. Two, tops.

Sham

The Guardian of War
This episode ate and left no crumbs. I haven’t enjoyed a Pokémon episode this much in awhile.

First of all. Amethio has layers. It was interesting to know he has his own rival and see him slip composure a lot. I wonder will his failure of mission cause him to become even more ruthless and villainous over time. He’s technically be somewhat of an anti hero rather than straight up evil villain so I’m interested how that will go.

Yeah Roy will eventually be one of the favorite if not aiming for the top spot main characters in this series. First of all, I love how he didn’t think only of his dreams and valued and vowed to make Fuecoco’s dream of evolution and strength a reality. His sappiness around Fuecoco and singing is just so wholesome.

I’m really hoping him calling Fuecoco his “Greatest Treasure” was a omen that he’ll eventually take on the Gym’s of Paldea (if not Liko) and by the end of the series raise towards Champion level and catch Rayquaza.

I love Liko’s narrations. It reminds me how we got those bit of moments where Lillie would replace the narrator. It makes the series feel more personal. Despite taking a backseat she really did still shine this episode and I loved how she’s somehow figured out she can call upon her necklace for help and that she was the one who suggested Roy go on a adventure despite being hesitant herself. She’s growing.

Was that scene of their partners “powering up” Overgrow and Blaze respectively? If so really cool how they’re already incorporating abilities early into the series. Amethio calling Liko’s trickery her “style” and Roy utilizing singer for Ember to be mastered is setting up for Flower Trick and Torch Song and so here for it.

They’ve done an excellent job balancing them out so far.

Last edited:

Risrhayne

Finally got to watching this one and definitely found Rayquaza to be the weakest part if only because that was one of the last Pokémon I wanted to be in that Ancient Pokeball. After Liko’s pendant was revealed to have a DLC mon we have no clue what it is, to have Roy’s mystery mon be Rayquaza felt underwhelming. I was half expecting Liko to make another meta joke “are we supposed to ask this dragon for a wish or something?”

In any case, Rayquaza didn’t stick around and Roy’s gonna have to find the 6 other Ancient Pokeballs to summon it again.

What I loved about this episode though was how much they reiterated that Roy loves adventure, treasures and ancient mysteries. I was absolutely waiting for the dreaded “I wanna meet lots and lots of pokemon” line, but that thankfully never happened. I know I keep harping on this issue, but that’s because these kinds of characters always come off as shallow and corporate. They’re not characters, they’re caricatures of the executives’ dream customers and they always end up becoming audiences’ least favorite things in a show.

Roy is not this though. He’s more Indy than Ash and I really hope they play this up by having him geek out over fossil Pokémon and know a lot about legendary Pokémon in particular.

Next week will be our breather episode where hopefully Sprigatito and Fuecoco learn some new moves. Then we’ll probably get an idea of what Liko wants to get out of traveling the world. Hopefully my concerns about Roy weren’t misdirected and Liko ends up the PokeFanatic.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Dr's Summary - Horizons Episode 006 Review
Rating: 7/10

#The Good
:
- How easily Ceruledge brushed away Sprigatito and Fuecoco definitely made Amethio more imposing again after the previous episode.
- Amethio casually observing while a Draco Meteor from a freaking Rayquaza is raining down is a certified badass moment.
- Roy just collapsing onto his back in relief is such an appropriate reaction.
- As mentioned before, this Amethio, Spinel, and Gibeon interaction definitely reminds me of the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy interactions among Kylo, Hux, and Snoke. Let's hope it develops better however....

#The Bad:
- It was played for gags, but there really should have been a better backstory for the ball other than Roy's grandpa finding it randomly on the beach.
- Rather silly con, but I can't take "Gibeon" seriously. I just think of 'gibbon' instead.

#Thoughts:
- Amethio maintaining that 50% black and white hair ratio must be a pain.
- They're really teasing this "ancient adventurer" to be somebody of importance...
- Liko x Roy ships have nothing against the Roy x Hogator pairing; this kiddo is madly in love with the little fire croc.
- Stage is definitely set now! Hopefully this anime can deliver decent writing to explain the pendant, Roy's ancient Pokeball, the black Rayquaza, Explorers, etc.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
Finally got caught up last night.

Pretty solid episode. I think Roy has won me over at this point. His bond with Fuecoco is just really sweet, and I could listen to him sing that Hogator song all day. *knocks on wood hoping that it doesn't get overused*

Also nice to get a bit of lore with the info on the ancient adventurer. I imagine we'll slowly get more information on him as we learn more about Liko's pendant and Roy's Poke Ball.

Overall, really nice introduction arc for Roy. Looking forward to where things go from here, especially since we head to Paldea soon.

Starswirl Pikachu

Welp time for another low stakes episode OH MY GOSH the ancient ball opened!! It's official, Roy is now the strongest trainer. Ah make that strongest potential trainer, I suppose. Hurry, Roy needs to get some gym badges and other pokemon to bring back Rayquaza! Gah, it is only his first day as a trainer though! Quick, everyone get on the airship and go after it, Nao! I imagine that this is what it might have been like if the GS ball had ever opened a long time ago..