• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The animé's reasoning for why inherently evil Pokémon can't exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
The animé's reasoning for why inherently evil Pokémon can't exist?

Well, seeing how I unintentionally killed the last thread and that I'm still not sure of why the writers seem to change their minds on whether or not evil Pokémon can exist and why they seem so opposed to it in the first place, I thought I'd make this.

I find it odd how one moment the animé says "Pokémon? Evil? Pfft, you crazy, they don't exist! They CANNOT exist!" and then the next an episode shows up with evidence contradicting this statement. And again, why would the writers be so opposed to the idea? I don't think it's because "there are no evil animals" - the majority of Pokémon have been clearly shown to have pretty much human (not animal) minds, as well as a concept of morality.

So why do you think it is still so opposed to this prospect, especially when we keep getting evil and sinister looking Pokémon each Gen?

(Truth be told I'm worried this is going to sink before it sets sail)

LizardonX

Banned
The reasoning is that the writers sugarcoat everything Barney style so little kiddies gets one and only one message from the show.

BUY THE MERCH.

Having more to think about might reduce merch sales ao the safest path is to just stick with doing everything possible to sell toys. Screw quality writong.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
^ This is about Pokémon who are evil entirely of their own accord. The ones you refer to are only evil because they have masters who are evil.

Janovy

Banned
How are the writers opposed to this idea when you said yourself that we keep getting more and more of them each gen. If anything, they've become more open to the prospect of Pokémon being ... well, deceitful, like Litwick that appeared in Best Wishes. And yeah, marketing.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
^ The games make more Pokémon who look evil, the animé often makes them as not evil, just misunderstood.

Ver-mont

I still cringe for Darkrai. The anime sugarcoated the poor thing and then Pokémon Platinum just ran with it.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I do think it's because there are no evil animals. XD I mean even those Litwick...I don't think I'd call them evil per se.

But I've never had an interest in evil Pokemon anyway, just because there'd always be the question of "why?"

An00bis

Wicked Witch
They do exist. We've seen them.

In-universe (in the Pokemon World) the characters do acknowledge the dangers of those evil/aggressive Pokemon. Besides this not being that kind of anime we might not see it much because Ash and friends purposely steer clear of trouble areas except when the plot calls for it. We've seen everything from warning signs to people physically trying to block Trainers from traveling through areas where Pokemon are likely to attack them for no good reason.

The idea that Pokemon are sweet and innocent seems to be a matter of personal belief in the Pokemon World. Whenever the idea of a Pokemon actually being " evil " is brought up it seems that our protagonists are quick to deconstruct it and the adults are quicker to believe it. That's probably because the latter know and have seen truly evil Pokemon and want to protect the children/innocents.

Even among Pokemon it seems to be a matter of personal belief. Waaaay back in Kanto when the idea was first proposed Meowth outright cried out that it wasn't true. Since then he's proven that he's morally gray at best, and outright evil at his absolute worse. He wasn't spurred that way because of anything a human have done to him. It was other Pokemon that encouraged him to steal and ultimately become a criminal.

RVD_fan

^ The games make more Pokémon who look evil, the animé often makes them as not evil, just misunderstood.
Somehow I doubt we could see some of the things Pokemon are said to in the games in the show. Yanmega's Pokedex entry:

It prefers to battle by biting apart foes' heads instantly while flying by at high speed.

Would certainly make people take Team Rocket a lot more seriously...

Bluelatios*

I think the reason is quite simple really. The Pokemon world is intended to visualize what life would be like if more living beings strived for peace and good morality. Its a world where life, though certainly not perfect, is in many ways better than our own. Its part of the very engine of their society to form natural and pure bonds with Pokemon, and to do that it makes sense for Pokemon to start off naturally "good". From that perspective, its got nothing to do with just kid-friendliness. I don't have any problem with Pokemon being initially good, and its kind of concerning that the boundaries are stretched occasionally, or when they fail to show the reasoning when a Pokemon does bad against their nature. (Litwick, Scrafty, etc).

fitzy909

Just another guy
Pokemon is supposed to be for kids. (although most of us would disagree) and as such they can't have any pokemon that actually tries to kill anyone. Pokemon is trying to show a world where life is better and more creatures actually have a high level of intelligence. Although in real life evil will always be there, pokemon is trying to show a better world. there are some pokemon who do things that could be classed as bad (dusknoir, litwick and so on), but no pokemon will ever be shown killing or doing anything 'evil'. (even though some pokemon would hunt to survive) evil pokemon will just not be shown.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Evil =/= murder. Villains can do evil things without taking a life.

Also, that "because it's for kids" excuse isn't very good considering how there are some other shows that are also for kids, and they still do VERY dark things.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Pokemon seem intelligent because it's a kid's show. Kids shows often show animals/animal-like creatures with human or near human intelligence. There's nothing wrong with that; as long as it's entertaining it's fine.

Even among Pokemon it seems to be a matter of personal belief. Waaaay back in Kanto when the idea was first proposed Meowth outright cried out that it wasn't true.
The Island of Giant Pokemon, I believe.

iraqmaster

If we look into the games/manga interpretation of the pokemon world, we do get pokemon that are very estructive and "evil":

Gyarados: Burns down cities in rage.

Victrebell: It lives in jungles, and many who encounter them do not live to tell the tale...

Devout

Nincada Trainer
The only real Pokemon that is truly self aware of good/evil is mewtwo or legendaries others are just evil cause of there masters/trainers.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
Because Ekans said so over a decade ago :p

sandy ketchum

Because Ekans said so over a decade ago :p

I remeber this lol. ekans says pokemon do bad things because masters bad. meowth says this cant be my masters not around and i always act like a rat XD. I think spearows are evil

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
They sort of tries to portray kyurem as evil in the movie, but failed at showing the level of fear and intimidation it brought to people that knew of it in the games.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
I haven't seen M15 (in fact, has it ever been shown in the UK yet?!), but from what I've read, Kyurem is another unfortunate patient of misunderstooditus, being just eager to finish a fight Keldeo started. Granted, since he's in an antagonistic role (and since that may as well be a fight to the bloody death), he doesn't seem to suffer the Darkrai-type.

Plus, Kyurem does seem to be pretty scary, seeing how the thing's practically unstoppable. To quote Cracked: Keldeo vs. Kyurem "is sort of like showing up for a knife fight with the Death Star." Kyurem's the Death Star, in case it wasn't clear.

Also, how bout those Genesect? Seem pretty evil to me so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.