• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The animé's reasoning for why inherently evil Pokémon can't exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I haven't seen M15 (in fact, has it ever been shown in the UK yet?!), but from what I've read, Kyurem is another unfortunate patient of misunderstooditus, being just eager to finish a fight Keldeo started. Granted, since he's in an antagonistic role (and since that may as well be a fight to the bloody death), he doesn't seem to suffer the Darkrai-type.

Plus, Kyurem does seem to be pretty scary, seeing how the thing's practically unstoppable. To quote Cracked: Keldeo vs. Kyurem "is sort of like showing up for a knife fight with the Death Star." Kyurem's the Death Star, in case it wasn't clear.

Also, how bout those Genesect? Seem pretty evil to me so far.
Well if anything, they don't make out kyurem to be misunderstood....more like him just innocently staying in his cave and resting, While keldeo comes to fight. Kyurem was made out to be the bad guy, but he stalked keldeo for good reason.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
So really. Are you asking The anime developers to have a story build up similar to The Avatar The Last Air Bender, One Piece, or Naruto Series? Something in those levels are kid targets YET THEY represent dark and more serious reality issues.

I mean I don't get this theoretical flaw.

Fantasy vs. Reality is not always equal. YET THEY ALWAYS WANTED FOR POKEMON TO HAVE REALITY LIKE CONFLICTS IN THE STORY!!! What then, are you expecting this series to represent the horrors of Military properties, abortion, Religious Philosoplers, Diplomatic relationships? UGH!

I may never understand those kinds of answers

diakyu

Well if anything, they don't make out kyurem to be misunderstood....more like him just innocently staying in his cave and resting, While keldeo comes to fight. Kyurem was made out to be the bad guy, but he stalked keldeo for good reason.
In reality, Keldeo is the real villain of that movie.

And I remember reading an interview someone did with Masuda (might've been in gameinformer) where he said that the Pokemon world is a utopian society where most people and Pokemon have good intentions. Only a few Pokemon and Humans actually become evil. No Pokemon in the games have actually ever been truly evil. Most of them are just naturally mischievous or work of instinct.

Thewindlord

The Anime Writers and work seperatly from the game designers xP

diakyu

The Anime Writers and work seperatly from the game designers xP
While this is true, they still use the games as a base to work off of. I was just giving a reason as to why the anime is full of good/misunderstood Pokemon. But the reason is probably just that they want Pokemon to be seen as the good guys.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
So really. Are you asking The anime developers to have a story build up similar to The Avatar The Last Air Bender, One Piece, or Naruto Series? Something in those levels are kid targets YET THEY represent dark and more serious reality issues.

I mean I don't get this theoretical flaw.

Fantasy vs. Reality is not always equal. YET THEY ALWAYS WANTED FOR POKEMON TO HAVE REALITY LIKE CONFLICTS IN THE STORY!!! What then, are you expecting this series to represent the horrors of Military properties, abortion, Religious Philosoplers, Diplomatic relationships? UGH!

I may never understand those kinds of answers

So, you're saying that since I made this topic asking why the writers are apparantly against having a Pokémon be evil of it's own accord, that automatically means I want the series to represent the horrors of war and become a series tackling controversial issues?

You're going from one extreme to the other, because I don't want the series to abruptly change tone and focus.

And I remember reading an interview someone did with Masuda (might've been in gameinformer) where he said that the Pokemon world is a utopian society where most people and Pokemon have good intentions. Only a few Pokemon and Humans actually become evil. No Pokemon in the games have actually ever been truly evil. Most of them are just naturally mischievous or work of instinct.

Link please. Also, don't "only a few Pokémon become evil" and "No Pokémon has ever actually been evil" contradict each other? And isn't mischief an evil trait, mildly or otherwise?

Last edited:

diakyu

Link please.
It's from Gameinformer issue 236 (GTAV on the cover). He says that the people and Pokemon would rather work out their problems together with each other than to fight about it. He also says that the Pokemon world does not have problems like water shortages or global warming (not that this has anything to do with the subject at hand lol).

I'll have to check and see if Gameinformer puts this stuff on their website.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Ah OK, I don't read GameInformer. Still seems like it would mean the majority of Pokémon are either benevolent or don't care.

Canada

Banned
I don't see what the appeal of having an inherently evil pokemon is.

Kunaiman9u9

Magikarp Salesman
Um....I think you all are getting a little mixed up with your terminology. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, Aggressive is defined as strong or emphatic in effect or intent. Evil, by the Merriam-Webster dictionary's definition is arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct.

You all are making the jump that someone who is Aggressive, is also Evil. Let me remind you all that we are one of the only species on the planet that ever kills for pure sport. No animal in reality kills just to kill. Although some Pokedex entrees are somewhat aggressive in nature, so are some Pokemon.

Chriiis

I still cringe for Darkrai. The anime sugarcoated the poor thing and then Pokémon Platinum just ran with it.

I really disliked how Darkrai was pulled off. I was hoping he'd be the one.

How I pictured Darkrai to actually be was like the one from the Mystery Dungeon series. That thing was truly evil and wicked just for the hell of it, which only made me love it in the end.

It's really bothersome, imo, that humans are shown to be the only ones capable of being evil. If not regular Pokemon, legendaries, with their more... self-awareness as someone put it, should be contenders. I mean with some of the brain power they have, if we can be evil just for the fun of it, no doubt at least one of them has gone this route. Utopia or not, there has to be a rotten apple somewhere, you don't all just sing Kumbaya together and turn into besties; There are some that just don't want to be.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
I don't see what the appeal of having an inherently evil pokemon is.

What's the ratio of evil Pokémon to benevolent Pokémon again? Something like 0:9?

Honeyichigo

The manliest
What's the ratio of evil Pokémon to benevolent Pokémon again? Something like 0:9?

That... doesn't actually address what Duh said at all?

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
What I mean is that there is a lack of explicitly malevolent legendary Pokémon compared to those that are explicitly benevolent (which is saying something considering there are at least three of those - Ho-oh, Shaymin, and I forget who the third one is). Having an unambiguously malevolent legendary Pokémon would be a nice change of pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.