• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Animal in Me, with "Me" Being 3rd Generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found that the Pokemon that aren't based off of a Japanese demon or mythological creature in the 3rd generation are usually based off of an African animal. Does anyone else see this? Tropius is based upon an African "bigfoot" you could say, a sighting of what seemed to be a sauropod (long necked dinosaur) that was in Africa. The beginning Pokemon are obvious: Mightyena, Dustox (exotic African moth), ESPECIALLY obvious starters, Slaking, Manectric, Torkoal, Camerupt, the Golems (Hebrew folklore; Hebrew culture sometimes exists in Egypt), Donphan, Relicanth (coelocanth, look it up), Kecleon, Linoone (honey badger) , and Beautifly (exotic African butterfly), and Cacturne. Tell me what you think of this observation in a comment, if you will.;262;

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Donphan is a 2nd gen. Pokemon.

Also, I don't think ALL of them are, or rather they're not based on animals one normally associates with Africa. For example, Taillow and Swellow just look like barn swallows to me, which, while they are in Africa, they're not a bird one normally associates with Africa. What is the Ralts line based on, for example?

VaironGod

Dunsparce>Arceus
Well Hoenn is a tropical region, just as many parts of Africa are tropical/rainforesty. So it makes sense for Africa to have some sort of inspiration for 3rd Gen Pokemon design.

Also saying all is a bit much but a big number of them, yes very true.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
For example, Taillow and Swellow just look like barn swallows to me, which, while they are in Africa, they're not a bird one normally associates with Africa.

Maybe they're African swallows*SHOT*

Hadn't really thought on it much. I figured they were just creatures/plants from wherever in the world, you know? Like Lotad is a lilypad, and you pretty much see those in ponds. Zigzagoon is pretty much a raccoon, and can live anywhere there are forests. Slakoth and its evolution line are sloths of South America (Slaking is possibly based off Megatherium--an extinct ground sloth). I also saw Poochyena/Mightyena as wolves, though they're more-or-less based off the hyena, so... *shrugs*

Tropius is an interesting case, though. After looking it up on Bulbapedia, it appears to be based off the Mokèlé-mbèmbé of Congo River folklore. Though to be honest, I've heard stories of dinosaurs in the jungles of Africa as a kid, so I can see where you're coming from with some of these Pokémon. It's hard to say for certain if African animals were the inspiration for many of the third generation, but then that would've mean that Shinx and its evolution line or even any of the Legendary beasts (though they're based off Eastern mythology) would've been introduced in the third gen as well, so I think for the most part, inspiration was taken from all over the world, some of them just happen to be more native to Africa than in other games--possibly.

Ditto B1tch

Except the ice type Pokemons, which are said to live in snowy areas, we could find some place in Africa that a Pokemon would use as natural enviroment because Africa has a few of everything: savanas, canyons, forests, oasis, deserts, mountains and else.

Bananarama

The light is coming
I have never noticed that. What about Treecko, Mudkip, and Torchic? I don't think those are African.

Cutty

Forever now
Thats pretty interesting. I wonder if it includes some of Ghost and Steel pokemon too.

Treecko is a gecko, they have tons of them there. Mudkip is a mudskipper, which I believe is in Africa, and Torchic is a jungle fowl, also found in Africa.

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
I don't think Hoenn is based entirely on Africa. Some parts of SE Asia and South America are added to the mix.

Ib4

Xenlon Cavalier
Torchic is more likely a feral or wild chicken as might be found in SE Asia
Mudkip is a mudskipper found in Indonesia
Treecko could conceivably be African or South American

Cacturne is a cactus. Lots of those in North/South America.
Manectric is a wolf. North American.
Donphan is Gen 2.
The golem trio is based on a legend, as is possibly Tropius, not confirmed animals (you stated that these were animals, but they are mythology).
Torkoal is a tortoise. Could be from anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.