• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Armaldo Storm

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
So I was working on a new team and decided to make it a Lost Heroes team. I thought it might as well be, so here is how it happened;

I started looking for something fun, something interesting. Something no one would expect. At last my search brought me to Armaldo, a rock type with less weaknesses than most rock types and the ability to be offensive or defensive.

However Armaldo's special defense was sadly lacking. Sandstorm appeared to be the best answer, so I added Tyranitar.

Rock type moves are resisted by steels, and the easiest way to remove those steel types is Magnezone.

I expected Water types to be a problem so Gastrodon seemed to fit the team.

Special sweeping is always fun, especially since burn won't ruin your day. Latios seemed like a fun addition.

Now I needed something to resist ice types and punish opposing players Tyranitars. Their were a few other reasons why I added him, but Gallade was the final Pokemon to be added to this team.

Armaldo (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Knock Off

As I said, he is my lost hero. He has respectable bulk that is great in a sandstorm, often letting me fire off all of his moves more than once before he get's KO'd. Knock off was the final decision to this set, but if I only had 1 move on him that would be it. Pokemon that I normally hate facing suddenly are useless on the oponents team. Chansey's eviolite? Gone, making them wish they had Blissey, this is also great for taking out choice users, walls that rely on leftovers, focus sashes, and my favorite, trick users. Once Armaldo's job has been completed he can even act as a status absorber and often a suicide switch.

Reptar (Tyranitar) (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Since I don't have to worry about a stealth rock user, making Tyranitar a physical sweeper was a much more interesting and fun choice. Most people don't expect this set which is the best part. Lum berry is so i can be burnt/paralyzed once and not care, and the moves are for stab. Dragon dance as you all know increases atk and spd stats. Ice punch give me coverage on gliscor and dragons that would otherwise KO T tar normally would have some difficulty with.

LokOutTagOut (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

I think this is pretty standard to be honest. It's a great Ferrothorn counter, since Hp Fire normally won't kill and I'll get a chance to the get a few sp atk boosts via charge beam. For those of you who don't know how to play this guy, I switch into a steel type that can't KO magnezone, sub up, then use hp fire or charge beam to boost my sp atk.

East Coast (Gastrodon-East) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Toxic

This is pretty standard I think as well, if it isn't it's pretty self explanitory. Earth power and scald are stab, toxic is for wearing down walls, and recover is recover. I have max defensive EV's because I wasn't in need of a special wall, and it tanks special attacks really well right now. This is pretty much my rain counter and it works really well.

Latias (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock

Choice specs makes a lot of things that hope to be able to take a draco meteor unable to. Psyshock is for OHKO'ing Blissey, HP Fire hits Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Scizors as well as other steel types. Surf is for Heatran.

Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 240 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- will o wisp

I straight up ripped this straight off smogon in hope it would KO something once every 7 matches. However nobody seems to expect this guy either and occasionally he takes 2 or 3 things out a game. Bulk up is for expected switches. Drain punch is stab and heals him. Leftovers nullifies the sandstorm. Ice punch is for flying types like Gliscorand Dragonite. Shadow sneak is for priority, which helps a lot.

So that's my team, it relies much upon surprise but even once they know what I'm doing they still seem to have difficulty countering it. In concluding;

Threatlist; If stealth rocks don't get up Volcarona can be difficult to take on once it starts to set up. Gyarados is as well if Gastrodon has been KO'd

Last edited:

wereboar

BE AFRAID!
I am not a mod but please put longer desciptions. Also... Gallade sucks.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive

Don't listen to what he or she said about Gallade (It does not suck, it's just not as over powered as something like Salamance or Conkledurr.) Gallade is okay just not good for an OU team which this is thanks to 2/3 of the team. I personally prefer Medicham over Gallade due to its ability giving it more power, but Gallade does have a better move pool. As for the rest of the team nice job although you could try using a swift swim offensive Armaldo in an attempt to counter rain teams (although it does have low speed and it may need sword's dance to take stuff down.)

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Don't listen to what he or she said about Gallade (It does not suck, it's just not as over powered as something like Salamance or Conkledurr.) Gallade is okay just not good for an OU team which this is thanks to 2/3 of the team. I personally prefer Medicham over Gallade due to its ability giving it more power, but Gallade does have a better move pool. As for the rest of the team nice job although you could try using a swift swim offensive Armaldo in an attempt to counter rain teams (although it does have low speed and it may need sword's dance to take stuff down.)

I will admit that the team did need some more explanation, I'm working on it right now. However as you said, Gallade is actually pretty good. Statistically it gets as many kills, if not more, than any other team member. It also happens to be my best Tyranitar counter after a bulk up or two.

As for Armaldo, while an offensive set is tempting, this set is so much more fun. So many times people switch something they think will counter it only to lose their item. Have you realized how many Pokemon rely on their item this gen? More than you probably expect. Armaldo does have a good attack stat, but if anything, rain teams have been the easiest for me to beat with this team.

Usatoday

Eternal God

What the hell is wrong with you gallade works great in ou sub swords dance or bulk up

Armaldo (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Knock Off

As I said, he is my lost hero. He has respectable bulk that is great in a sandstorm, often letting me fire off all of his moves more than once before he get's KO'd. Knock off was the final decision to this set, but if I only had 1 move on him that would be it. Pokemon that I normally hate facing suddenly are useless on the oponents team. Chansey's eviolite? Gone, making them wish they had Blissey, this is also great for taking out choice users, walls that rely on leftovers, focus sashes, and my favorite, trick users. Once Armaldo's job has been completed he can even act as a status absorber and often a suicide switch.
You already have sand for sp def put it into defense
Reptar (Tyranitar) (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Since I don't have to worry about a stealth rock user, making Tyranitar a physical sweeper was a much more interesting and fun choice. Most people don't expect this set which is the best part. Lum berry is so i can be burnt/paralyzed once and not care, and the moves are for stab. Dragon dance as you all know increases atk and spd stats. Ice punch give me coverage on gliscor and dragons that would otherwise KO T tar normally would have some difficulty with.
Seems good
LokOutTagOut (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 speed
Timid Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

I think this is pretty standard to be honest. It's a great Ferrothorn counter, since Hp Fire normally won't kill and I'll get a chance to the get a few sp atk boosts via charge beam. For those of you who don't know how to play this guy, I switch into a steel type that can't KO magnezone, sub up, then use hp fire or charge beam to boost my sp atk.
This allows you to outspeed scizor

East Coast (Gastrodon-East) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Toxic

This is pretty standard I think as well, if it isn't it's pretty self explanitory. Earth power and scald are stab, toxic is for wearing down walls, and recover is recover. I have max defensive EV's because I wasn't in need of a special wall, and it tanks special attacks really well right now. This is pretty much my rain counter and it works really well.
Seems good

Latias (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Trick
- Psyshock

Choice specs makes a lot of things that hope to be able to take a draco meteor unable to. Psyshock is for OHKO'ing Blissey, HP Fire hits Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Scizors as well as other steel types. Surf is for Heatran.
You already have magnezone to kill steels so why not trick to cripple walls

Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 240 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Sneak/Substitute/Wish

I straight up ripped this straight off smogon in hope it would KO something once every 7 matches. However nobody seems to expect this guy either and occasionally he takes 2 or 3 things out a game. Bulk up is for expected switches. Drain punch is stab and heals him. Leftovers nullifies the sandstorm. Ice punch is for flying types like Gliscor and Dragonite. Shadow sneak is for priority, which helps a lot.
I personally love gallade and sub will allow you to avoid status
So that's my team, it relies much upon surprise but even once they know what I'm doing they still seem to have difficulty countering it. In concluding;

Threatlist; If stealth rocks don't get up Volcarona can be difficult to take on once it starts to set up. Gyarados is as well if Gastrodon has been KO'd

Overall great team man :) but maybe make gastrodon specially defensive because you have nothing that appreciates a draco meteor for a latios or hydreigon also maybe consider wish on gallade as another option

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
@USA Today I'll do this one poke at a time

Armaldo; good call. More often than not he is the first one out but once the storm is up it will be out longer.

Magnezone; most scizor are choice banded and i switch into a bullet punch or pursuit. I'm not that worried about outspeeding it.

Latios; if I was scarfed I'd e right with you. However choice specs allows me to kill a lot I otherwise couldn't, and losing them isn't something I like. Also I get a lot of surprise kills with hp fire.

Gallade; yeah, shadow sneak has done less than I expected. I'll switch to sub considering its hp isn't amazing.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
As for Armaldo, while an offensive set is tempting, this set is so much more fun. So many times people switch something they think will counter it only to lose their item. Have you realized how many Pokemon rely on their item this gen? More than you probably expect. Armaldo does have a good attack stat, but if anything, rain teams have been the easiest for me to beat with this team.

True offensive Armaldo doesn't compete with the support that yours offers your team and it does lack imediate power. Also I know that a lot of the more common pokemon need their items (with the exception of Gliscor that run Flying gem and Accrobatics.) The main ones I use is Porygon2 and Multiscale Dragonite with shell bell (Politoad has leftovers) so I can understand how annoying it is to lose an item even though it hasn't happened to me yet (only time it almost happen was when my freind tricked choice specs onto my Rain based Dragonite while rain was up it was the biggest mistake he made during the battle.)

Psycho Cut

The TTar set's a nice idea, but I would make it a Specially Defensive Set, with Pursuit in there somewhere. You don't have any dedicated Special Walls, and you'll find it really useful. Pursuit allows you to trap the likes of Latios (after you've sponged Draco Meteor thanks to aforementioned Special Bulk)

NoteLobo

Banned
Try will-o-wisp on galade to give it more staying power and to ruin physical sweapers. Then if they swap out to Healbell users you cover most of them (Eg. Umbreon, Celebi, Other Eevilutions, chansey, blissy, ect.)

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
The TTar set's a nice idea, but I would make it a Specially Defensive Set, with Pursuit in there somewhere. You don't have any dedicated Special Walls, and you'll find it really useful. Pursuit allows you to trap the likes of Latios (after you've sponged Draco Meteor thanks to aforementioned Special Bulk)

If I start losing because I have no special bulk I will switch sets. However most of the time I have an extra Pokemon that has already done its job or just won't be needed in the match (if theirs no steel types often times magnezone won't be to useful, Armaldo after it has set up, gastrodon is mainly a rain counter though is not mandatory for that I have found out, Gallades special defense isn't much to make a joke of and Tyranitars and Armaldos are pretty respectible in the sand)

Try will-o-wisp on galade to give it mor staying power and to ruin physical sweapers. Then if they swap out to Healbell users you cover most of them (Eg. Umbreon, Celebi, Other Eevilutions, chansey, blissy, ect.)

Actually... That surprisingly makes more sense than substitute. I didn't realize it learned that move (curse you smogon!!!). But yeah, Gallades special defense is practically twice (ok, 15 points off of twice) it's defense. Definite switch to make, thanks.

Sorry for seemingly ignoring you redcharzard, however I would like to thank you for taking the time to look at it from my side and not just go, trollololol, this guys a total noob, it's either time to spam his thread or ignore him completely.

Last edited: