• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Artist's Corner

Who's club banner is the best? (see below)

• Eeveelover824

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • colorless-winter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sworn Metalhead

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • Azulart

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Callie-Rose

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • extroph

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Kutie Pie

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I'd like to apologize to pupintheturd for somehow overlooking the fact that they were not on the member list; it should be fixed now. Jeez, I'm slipping. And an additional welcome to Talonflame and GoldenLeaf! And also, to members: can we please be a little more discretionary with the negative reputations? No need to knee-jerk respond to things like that, guys.

I'm trying to get something churned out, art-wise, but ugh... it's just not coming. :C I really wish I had more fresh things to contribute to the club more often, but as an artist, I'm extremely whimsical at best, and my inspiration tends to wax and wane. Right now, it's at a low. ;;

Also, I feel like it is time to reorganize the OP and prune the member list a bit, as it has been a while and a bunch of people have stopped posting actively. I may wind up just making a new thread for this club as a result, and so we can get rid of that damn poll, but my thoughts are thus: in addition to name/nickname, maybe I'll add links to (up to three?) works (or deviantART pages, whichever) that members want to show off in the first post, or in a second post immediately after the OP for showcasing their best work. I know I proposed this before, and it sounded like a good idea all around, but I also wanted to give ample warning that I'll probably have this thread closed in favor of the new one relatively soon. It may, however, require a new join form and even old members may have to fill it out just to keep the OP tidy, although I'll try to keep track of who is new and who is just joining, too.

Additionally, if anyone has any suggestions for what I could add to a new thread (I'll make maybe two or three posts in any new threads that get made just so they're there if ever we need them), I'd love to hear them!

I think it would be a nice idea to restart the thread kaiserin i find we need a new fresh start :) Im not sure how we can make the new opening though :/ but i think showing off everyones art traditional and graphics design is a cool idea though :)

I think the problem might be that the highlights and shadows you're using are too extreme. Maybe darken the light stripes a bit and lighten the dark stripes some. It's just my opinion, but the gradient around the edges of the badges looks like it doesn't quite fit the lighting right.

see im not sure what it is i followed this tutorial here and i did darken or lighten them but they don't show or look right still :/ thank you for the response though nightkrazy im just puzzled i may keep going threw her tutorial a bit more and see whats up. I may be missing something...

SailorSketch

Pixel Mage
can someone please help me here my badges always look like crap when i make them :( I don't have a tablet i mainly free draw with a laptop touch mouse im trying to go by northern lights how to make badge style but it seems i never can get the lighting of the streaks on the badge to look right an blend like she did and its bother the heck out of me :/

any critique help would be appreciated thank you :)
I think you are in for a headache if you are trying to get better at them using the touch pad, you might want to opt for a mouse or tablet.

@MidnightCombat
These two are really cool
3aYBnPb.png
JGgU9M0.png

Whats a good way to shade with crayola colour pencils? I've seen really good artists use them but I've never figured out how they do it ;466;
Well there are several ways to go about it, one way is to have a second set that you can carve the tip into a slightly curved wedge shape to make it easier to rub, but that isn't always the most efficient. Just keep watching tutorials and demos and try to pick up on their hand positions and how much pressure they're applying.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Some GIMP user here, pleeeeease, help me. How to have gifs on buttons/userbars? I am trying lately, but it's so hard. I can't do a thing with it!

In other news, I finally learned what is bevel, haha!

Also, some more sprites:
pVAekhJ.png
3aYBnPb.png
JGgU9M0.png
vZgWCI1.png

Wish I could sprite like this. Man, I suck at this!

Not sure if I already showed this but this is one of my fave sprites I've ever done:
t9v7go.jpg

Last edited:

Sempiternal

Temptation
Hiya. Here's what I've been working on recently. Would love some constructive criticism.

Untitledgfgfdg_zpsc0a1fb58.png

I find the text on this, kind of odd. I might fix it later until I'm happy with the end result.

oie_oie_overlay1_zps3e2d777e.gif

One of my first animated userbars. Pretty bland.

oie_oie_overlay5_zps1f72eaf5.gif

I tried using brushes on here, I like the outcome.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
On the gengar's bar, the gif get a small white outline when he jumps.

Hiya. Here's what I've been working on recently. Would love some constructive criticism.

I really don't see much problems here. The background is quite nice, although the splatter on the back seems out of place. Maybe if you set the layer (with the splatter) to overlay, it'll help. Your current sig give a example of what I'm talking. It gives a more clean look and it fits in quite a lot of situations.
Also, that thing on Megaman's head, is it gradient flare? I think it's a bit too strong and a bit off; The light is coming from another place. Just a bit up the effect's current position.

May I ask what program you use?

Last edited:

MidnightCombat

Bird of Destruction
Not sure if I already showed this but this is one of my fave sprites I've ever done: http://i59.*******.com/t9v7go.jpg

Please don't save sprites in Jpg, they ruin the quality of the sprite. Sprites should always be saved in Png.
Other than that, I like the yellow lines; they do resemble Rayquaza's likeness well~

@Akanjão- It takes practice with spriting; you can always look up some spriting tutorials too~

Sempiternal

Temptation
Not sure if I already showed this but this is one of my fave sprites I've ever done: http://i59.*******.com/t9v7go.jpg

This is pretty freakin' cool to be honest, you did a good job on this one. Although.. dat quality tho..

Oh, I didnt notice the white on the userbar. I'll take a look at that later. Anyway, thanks for the criticism, I'll be sure to take in what your said and improve. By the way, if you're asking me what program I use, I use GIMP. The free ****. lol.

I felt like a doing a gengar banner -

250px-094Gengar_zps72a48ecc.png

NightKrazy

Fire Queen
http://i57.*******.com/2gxpe6o.jpg
http://i59.*******.com/282i078.png

Obliveon and Digieon Sprites. The Obliveon one was the first Sprite I ever did, and I know you guys can see it in my sig, but I posted it anyway.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Oh, I didnt notice the white on the userbar. I'll take a look at that later. Anyway, thanks for the criticism, I'll be sure to take in what your said and improve. By the way, if you're asking me what program I use, I use GIMP. The free ****. lol.

Then you should tell me how have you done that gif stuff. Send me a PM, please? I'm trying has months, but can never attain anything!
As for GIMP... Y' know, I like him. Sure, PS has a lot of stuff, but he's too confusing and hard for me. I have tried several times, and could never do a thing on it, haha!

I felt like a doing a gengar banner -

That one is quite good. I learned one stuff with AnakBaé which can always improve anything:
-Scanlines
-Drop Shadow

I don't use the drop shadow much, but scan lines is a must to me! It can always get you good stuff! I think drop shadow would fit your banner perfectly.

@Akanjão- It takes practice with spriting; you can always look up some spriting tutorials too~

I'll try more in future. I am still getting the hang of recolours. My blue shy guy in my sig was a recolour from the red shy guy.

****, I really need to do some new banners. Too many people are passing me in quality now ;-;

celebigroupbannerfinished2_zpsa0195fff.png

This was the most recent one I did, for the guild I help lead.

thetwolife_zps6aad8046.png

fairytailbanner_zpsaa284b68.png

tcgbanner_zpsa1afd476.png

hoenntrianglebannerglow_zpsb70d46ec.png

Welcometomyshop_zpsa72f9e55.png

shinytyphlosion_zpsfd6e4dce.png

michiganbanner_zpsbfba4a25.png

Pretty sure most of the ones in the spoiler are at least a month old.

sylpheons_zpsc50003a6.gif
vomegagengarmodel_zpsd522adf5.gif
vogengarsprite_zpsf7f5b3fa.png
askfmlinoone_zpsaf4e71be.gif
tfi_zpsae79af96.gif
zeldafanficbook_zps89f38422.png
drifblimtradeshop_zpscf0a88ac.png
butterfreeprofile_zps211596b1.png
meso_zps992a0247.gif
giratinascopy_zps763461e9.png
getlucky_zpsc6eb25d1.gif
vonick_zps875ca93d.gif
vosonic_zpsfd2b24cb.gif

Hopefully none of the userbars and buttons are ones I've posted last time.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
That Zoroark's button is awesome. The colours, mixed so well!
The Veneno Oscuridad's bars are just as awesome too.
And, I always have been a fan of your job, and there's not much that I can say about it, haha!
I like this one here:
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa381/ShadowIke/Banners/Welcometomyshop_zpsa72f9e55.png

Anyway, I am still getting the hang of everything, though I think I'm improving quite a lot. Can someone critique my new sig? It's that Mario one. It have much text, I know, but it's supposed to be like this.

PokemonMasterSilas

Ultimate Trainer
ee I found my people <3

I'd like to join the Artist's Corner!

Username: PokemonMasterSilas
Nickname: Silas
What art you enjoy doing: Digital, but I can do traditional art as well ;D
How you became interested in art: Well, my close friend used to draw her fan characters for the Warriors Book Series, and I really liked her style so I asked her to teach me. After learning some basics, I started getting better and my art progressed from there.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
ee I found my people <3

I'd like to join the Artist's Corner!

Username: PokemonMasterSilas
Nickname: Silas
What art you enjoy doing: Digital, but I can do traditional art as well ;D
How you became interested in art: Well, my close friend used to draw her fan characters for the Warriors Book Series, and I really liked her style so I asked her to teach me. After learning some basics, I started getting better and my art progressed from there.

I am going to remake the thread in a little while, so I'll hold off on adding you to the member's list, although feel free to keep posting for the moment -- the new thread is going to require everyone to reapply as a means of 1) providing new info on the join form, and 2) pruning the list of inactive members, so here's your fair warning.

Sorry! But it's probably the easiest way rather than transferring the old list over, and will probably help stimulate a little discussion too; plus, I'm adding a couple things to the form and the list display (like gender if that is something people are comfortable disclosing, although it's an optional thing), so there's that.

IMPORTANT EDIT

Before I make the new thread and have this one closed, there is something I need to address.

Guys, I've been hearing a lot of complaints lately about people getting negative repped for petty things, from critique to simply posting their art like they're encouraged to. I don't know if whoever is doing this is in the club or not, but I'd like to ask anyone who has been spamming the neg rep to knock it the hell off. It's needlessly discouraging, and the point of this club is not to discourage people from making art.

At least two or three people have come to me already with this complaint, and I'm frankly really surprised I even need to say this, but seriously, stop negative repping people because you don't like them or whatever. It's rude.

EDIT TO REPLY TO THE NEGREP I JUST RECEIVED (ha ha, very funny)

"Rep received isn't supposed to be complained or boasted about anyway"

Except it's discouraging people from posting here, and I've already had at least two people decide to leave because they're so put-off over getting repped negatively for doing what they're supposed to be doing.

Knock. It. Off.

Last edited:

AnakBaé

I am going to remake the thread in a little while, so I'll hold off on adding you to the member's list, although feel free to keep posting for the moment -- the new thread is going to require everyone to reapply as a means of 1) providing new info on the join form, and 2) pruning the list of inactive members, so here's your fair warning.

Sorry! But it's probably the easiest way rather than transferring the old list over, and will probably help stimulate a little discussion too; plus, I'm adding a couple things to the form and the list display (like gender if that is something people are comfortable disclosing, although it's an optional thing), so there's that.

IMPORTANT EDIT

Before I make the new thread and have this one closed, there is something I need to address.

Guys, I've been hearing a lot of complaints lately about people getting negative repped for petty things, from critique to simply posting their art like they're encouraged to. I don't know if whoever is doing this is in the club or not, but I'd like to ask anyone who has been spamming the neg rep to knock it the hell off. It's needlessly discouraging, and the point of this club is not to discourage people from making art.

At least two or three people have come to me already with this complaint, and I'm frankly really surprised I even need to say this, but seriously, stop negative repping people because you don't like them or whatever. It's rude.

EDIT TO REPLY TO THE NEGREP I JUST RECEIVED (ha ha, very funny)

"Rep received isn't supposed to be complained or boasted about anyway"

Except it's discouraging people from posting here, and I've already had at least two people decide to leave because they're so put-off over getting repped negatively for doing what they're supposed to be doing.

Knock. It. Off.
lol probably just some attention craving idiot who loves to play hide and seek.

---

Anyway, haven't posted anything in a while. Comments and crits are welcome:
vcu3i.png

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
Sorry for the not posting, I was on a band trip to a competition and was stuck with sucky internet ("high speed" - one bar)
I think the first thing is that it's too big. When you're done, shrink it down to something small, I think max 100 x 100. Or you could shrink it down before and have less room to color.
The shading: if you're not, first lay down a solid gray silhouette over the badge. Something medium gray-ish (like hex acacac or something). From that, take a lighter color (anywhere from the medium to white, but not white) and draw a line across with a 9 px brush. Then shrink the brush size and do it again to the left or the right. If you want more strokes then keep shrinking the brush. Then take a shade of gray darker than the medium that is not black and start with a 5 px brush going up to a 9 px one. Try not to do too many in the dark color. 2-3 at the most. Then set the layer on Overlay or Soft Light. Anything else will pretty much kill it. Oh, and the strokes should be less vertical, less /-shaped and more...45 degree angle ish.
Then for the outer glow I find 1 px sometimes more fitting than 2 px, but really it doesn't matter. Just use 1 or 2.

MidnightCombat-
Can I just say that those things look awesome?
Those things look awesome.

Akanjão-
Try saving the image with a height of about 100 and then using the website onlineimageeditor.com. It will save pain. Much pain. The only downside is that if you want more than one animated sprite you have to use the guillotine tool and slice the thing in half and then put on the sprites individually. However it will name your image something like "oie-oie-overlay" which is kind of...stupid, so if you don't want that rename it.

Sempiternal-
There are some stray pixels around your render.

NightKrazy-
I think the sprite is a little messy as it is, try cleaning up some of it and removing excess details.

Akanjão-
If you haven't noticed, I never use scanlines, lol. I use them in rare cases when it really needs it, but otherwise, no. It just kind of feels weird. Same with the bullet hole whatever you want to call those one pixel dots everywhere.

Astral Shadow-
Erica got a bit too much feather. It's blurred at the edges.
There are way too many things on the Fairy Tail one, imo.
The triangle is a little too pixelly.
Michigan needs more oomph.

AnakBaé-
Gyrados' edges has some stray pixels.

Status
Not open for further replies.